Another nasty new eBay tweak?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
Posts: 884
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 03:04
Location: Norwich, England

Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by 60022Mallard »

.
The last couple of outbid advice e-mails I have received have not shown the expected detail of the number of watchers.

Screenshot (70)-crop.png

This information is very useful to me as a buyer gauging interest in the item.

This item is one where bidder "identities" are not shown, so may be watcher numbers are not given because of that, or is it the new eBay standard procedure - at least on eBay.uk.

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Another eBay tweak?

Post by Global Administrator »

60022Mallard wrote:
10 Jun 2021 21:41

This item is one where bidder "identities" are not shown

Welcome to Shill Bidder DREAM WORLD. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Why on earth anyone sane patronises sellers that hide bidders amazes me - I am sure you'll pay way too much with such sellers, who often have a bagful of shill bidder handles, so why does it matter to you how many are watching it. There is ZERO legit reason for any genuine stamp seller to use this sneaky mask.

Only ScamBay would allow such a non-transparent sales process trick, (it makes them an extra fortune from Bunnies is why of course) and if all savvy buyers avoided PRIVATE AUCTIONS. less rorting would go on.
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
Posts: 884
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 03:04
Location: Norwich, England

Re: Another eBay tweak?

Post by 60022Mallard »

Global Administrator wrote:
10 Jun 2021 21:54
60022Mallard wrote:
10 Jun 2021 21:41

This item is one where bidder "identities" are not shown

Welcome to Shill Bidder DREAM WORLD. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Why on earth anyone sane patronises sellers that hide bidders amazes me - I am sure you'll pay way too much with such sellers, who often have a bagful of shill bidder handles, so why does it matter to you how many are watching it. There is ZERO legit reason for any genuine stamp seller to use this sneaky mask.

Only ScamBay would allow such a non-transparent sales process trick, (it makes them an extra fortune from Bunnies is why of course) and if all savvy buyers avoided PRIVATE AUCTIONS. less rorting would go on.
The vendor has 25,000 sales and recent material from the same source sold at appropriate prices in my book with many bidders. They are either extremely clever with their shill bidding, or, shock, horror, trustworthy. I even purchase a £0.99 item myself from the last batch.

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by Global Administrator »

.
I repeat for the very slow readers/learners.

If you are too Naive/Gullible to let the penny drop -- more fool you.

There is ZERO legit reason for any genuine stamp seller to use the sneaky "Private Auction" mask.

Of course they are shill bidding if the use that - it is the ONLY reason to choose it. However the sale you link to does not seem to be using that listing option, so not sure what your point is?
.
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
Indian collector
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Feb 2021 18:12
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by Indian collector »

Mallard, I took the liberty of checking for bidder identity for this lot. I hope you don't mind. Is this what you mean?
Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 6.32.25 PM.png
I couldn't see the number of watchers anywhere; I tried putting it on my own watch list and still did not get that information.

Sherriff, by "shill bidder" I assume you mean a bidder username under control of the seller whose purpose is to bid up stamp selling cost...the risk of such a practice I guess would be the seller "winning" their own item and having to try again. Of course, after a while that could be spotted if they tried to offer the exact same item. Is the ebay community watchful and militant enough to call out such unscrupulous sellers?

Maybe I am misreading this terminology; feel free to let me know.

User avatar
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff
Posts: 64903
Joined: 18 Apr 2007 22:57
Location: Tombstone
Contact:

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by Global Administrator »

Indian collector wrote:
11 Jun 2021 12:40


Sherriff, by "shill bidder" I assume you mean a bidder username under control of the seller whose purpose is to bid up stamp selling cost...the risk of such a practice I guess would be the seller "winning" their own item and having to try again.

Of course, after a while that could be spotted if they tried to offer the exact same item. Is the ebay community watchful and militant enough to call out such unscrupulous sellers?

You really must live a sheltered life there!

Here are 1500 posts for you to START reading up on - over 100 accounts STAMPBOARDS has had closed down of ONE seller here.

ALL using shill bidding via PRIVATE AUCTIONS.

Globally there are many 1000s times more.

eBay does NOTHING themselves - they LOVE shill bidding of course. THEY make more money from it, which is their sole aim in life, and they allow it BECAUSE they make extra money from it. They do not give one hoot about collectors being ripped off.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=85476
.
.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

User avatar
iaincraven
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
Posts: 579
Joined: 27 Jan 2008 09:45
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by iaincraven »

The item you bid on is not a private auction.

I thought visibility to "number of watchers" information had been restricted only to the seller for a couple of years now and I believe the change was intentional. I suspect the fact it was still showing in outbid emails was an oversight.
BC Stamps Limited
https://www.bcstamps.co.uk

User avatar
60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
Posts: 884
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 03:04
Location: Norwich, England

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by 60022Mallard »

iaincraven wrote:
11 Jun 2021 22:04
The item you bid on is not a private auction.

I thought visibility to "number of watchers" information had been restricted only to the seller for a couple of years now and I believe the change was intentional. I suspect the fact it was still showing in outbid emails was an oversight.
Unfortunately I cleared my e-mail in box of deleted items very recently so am unable to go back and find an old one, but do believe I used to get three details with each e-mail - Number of bids, Number of bidders and Watchers.

Perhaps someone still has an old out-bid advice?

User avatar
JonEboy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 5896
Joined: 24 Mar 2012 04:12
Location: Northwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by JonEboy »

You are not going mad....here's a clip from an email I got on 5th June

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 15.04.17.png


As you can see, the two left-hand items show me how many watchers and checking other emails, it seems this information is supplied intermittently.

Hope this helps?

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

User avatar
steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 1234
Joined: 10 Nov 2011 19:22
Location: London, UK

Re: Another nasty new eBay tweak?

Post by steevh »

JonEboy wrote:
12 Jun 2021 01:06
You are not going mad....here's a clip from an email I got on 5th June


Image


As you can see, the two left-hand items show me how many watchers and checking other emails, it seems this information is supplied intermittently.

Hope this helps?

Jon
For things in my watch list, I see eBay sometimes tells me how many watchers, and sometimes not. It doesn't seem obviously related to the (assumed) presence or absence of other watchers. ie an item can have lot of buyer interest as shown by the bidding, but eBay doesnt tell me that other people are watching it. It is possible, but I think unlikely, that an item would have multiple bidders but none of them are also watching it.

Post Reply

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest