Auction in UK 10th July 2021

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

imogen
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Auction in UK 10th July 2021

Post by imogen »

*Announcement * Sale on 10th July 2021

This sale includes an important section of Hong Kong (lots 120 – 203) with rare stamps, airmails and Treaty Ports.

The Basil Lewis (1927-2019) Collection of stamps & Postal History is to be offered for sale by Semley Auctioneers on 10th July 2021. Please take a look at the catalogue via the link below..

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/search ... uctioneers

For more info, please email enquiries@semleyauctioneers.com

Last edited by Global Administrator on 07 Jul 2021 20:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Expanded the totally lazy 3 word lower case meaningless heading, added pars, spacing and air to this jammed up mess, and moved to correct forum.

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Auction 10th July 2021

Post by kuikka »

If I understood correctly, it seems that the actioner is not going to send the lots to their winners. If so, only UK based members can participate.

Alchemy68
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Auction 10th July 2021

Post by Alchemy68 »

kuikka wrote:
07 Jul 2021 20:39
If I understood correctly, it seems that the actioner is not going to send the lots to their winners. If so, only UK based members can participate.
Even for UK members its not great. The auction is in Dorset which would be a 2-3 day round trip from Scotland...

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Auction in UK 10th July 2021

Post by Global Administrator »

Additional Fees:
Commissions*: 32.34% Inc.VAT/sales tax[

Add near ONE THIRD to hammer price in fees, and they do not ship anywhere - lazy sods - these fees are getting quite insane, for slap dash descriptions and images. And taking 2 or 3 photos of a carton of albums is sheer laziness. Online auction does NOT show other current online bids which is hence useless to anyone. :roll: :roll: :roll:

OP, who presumably is a Semley Auctioneers staffer, using this forum as free advertising, did not bother to add even 1 image, as the rules (and common sense) specifies he must, and did not make his first post in Roll Call.

Expanded the totally lazy 3 word lower case meaningless heading, added pars, spacing and air to this jammed up mess, and moved to correct forum.

Admin
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

This sale was mentioned in another thread a few weeks back.

Potential bargains for sure, given the low estimates. (But don't forget the 30%+ fees, plus another 5% for SaleRoom!)

However, the logistics are a nightmare -- the sale is in a small village in the middle of nowhere, no viewing on auction day, and no physical attendance at the sale. Then you have to arrange with a shipping company to get any items you win.

With a single photo for 4 large cartons, for example, you'd have to be crazy to bid any serious money without having first viewed.

W5LDY
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by W5LDY »

They offer live bidding via EasyLive which will reduce additional costs. The commission rates and lack of in-house despatch facilities are typical of many regional so called Fine Art auctioneers.

I have some sympathy with their post and packing policy, you try packing up a Grandfather Clock which had to be sent to Chile!!! If they had experience with dealing with stamp collections, they could have easily offered a packing and postage option just for this sale. May be worth inquiring if interested.

Some great material in the auction, the Argentina looks really interesting and the Hong Kong is a good collection.

Whilst everybody will have their own opinion regarding lotting and guide prices, at least someone with philatelic knowledge has lotted and described it which will help prospective buyers.

I would think the trade will be all over this auction like a rash, it will make it's true level, I doubt there will be many bargains.

Derbyboi2
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I telephoned Semley's today to enquire as to how the sale went and whether or not they publish results.

Rather unsurprisingly they said they did not publish results. I asked whether there were many unsold lots and they indicated that there were quite a few unsold and did I want a list of the items to which I replied yes. I await with interest,

When I mentioned how unusual it was for a philatelic collection of this nature to be sold at a provinicial general auctioneers she told me that I wasn't the first person to mention this!

If anyone wants to know any of the results for any particular lot they have said they will supply these to me by email if I specify the lot nuumbers So if anyone is interested let me know.

Robert

goof
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by goof »

I took part online, many of the lots went well over estimate and there was plenty of interest in many of the better items. I picked up a few good value lots and some close to my maximum.

regards
Mick

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
14 Jul 2021 01:19
I telephoned Semley's today to enquire as to how the sale went and whether or not they publish results.

Rather unsurprisingly they said they did not publish results. I asked whether there were many unsold lots and they indicated that there were quite a few unsold and did I want a list of the items to which I replied yes. I await with interest,

When I mentioned how unusual it was for a philatelic collection of this nature to be sold at a provinicial general auctioneers she told me that I wasn't the first person to mention this!

Robert

Clueless vendors. A local household type auction here this month saw me score a box Full of this stuff below for well under 10% Cat for truly rare things cat $1000s Apiece.

No PR list, auction removed off site in hours, they refused to mail anything, and I asked about buying all the unsolds as a lot, and they said not interested - ''we will add them to a future sale''!

Idiots, but this kind of stuff I can live with for metaphorical pennies!

Glen

Capturef.JPG
16 (2).jpg
144.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I think clueless is the right word. I shall be interested to see the unsold lots at Semley's because they don't seem to know what to do with them. Depending on what they are I might offer a percentage of lower estimate for the lot.

Robert

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I quite fancy a nice drive down to Dorset......

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I now have the unsold lots list if anyone is interested in my posting it here.

Robert

Rockyman44
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Rockyman44 »

Hi, I would be interested to see the unsold list!

Thanks
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Here is a list of the unsolds..,,,,,,,
Document_2021-07-13_191456.jpg
Document_2021-07-13_191458 (2).jpg
Document_2021-07-13_191501 (3).jpg
Document_2021-07-13_191504 (4).jpg

Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

Thanks very much!

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Well if anyone in UK buys 82 and 230 they'll be miles in front, I can guarantee that. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Well done to DerbyBoi for extracting the list. 8-)

Glen

Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

Strange that lot 252 has a low and high estimate of 0! :D :D :D

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”