Mowbray Collectables' 25 September 2021 public stamp auction

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Mowbray Collectables' 25 September 2021 public stamp auction

Post by David Smitham »

Mowbray Collectables' next public stamp auction will be held on Saturday 25 September 2021, at the West Plaza Hotel, Wellington, New Zealand, commencing at 12.30 pm NZ time (GMT + 12 hours).

1-Scan-017.jpg

Featured on the front cover are two exceptionally scarce New Zealand stamps:

lot 514 1949 3d H.M.S. Vanguard unhinged mint - believed to be one of only 7 such examples extant in the public domain, estimate NZ $25,000

and

lot 619 1925 12/6d QVLT, perf 14½ x 14, on Cowan paper, very lightly hinged mint - believed to one of only 9 such examples in the public domain (of which a block of four is held in the Queen's collection) estimate NZ $50,000

Some other choice items of note are:

lot 447 1926 NZ 2/- & 3/- King George V Admiral FDCs - the first ever recorded such FDCs, estimate NZ $5,000
lot 483 1971 NZ 30c National Park blue sky error fine used pair on piece, estimate NZ $5,000
lot 490 1899 NZ 1/- Pigeongramme overprint on flimsy, piece, estimate NZ $5,000
lot 601 1905 NZ 2d chestnut Government Life, unhinged mint, estimate NZ $5,000
lot 624 1931 NZ 35/- Arms, Cowan paper, unhinged mint, estimate NZ S10,000
lot 634 1936 NZ 35/- Arms, Wiggins Teape paper, unhinged mint, estimate NZ $10,000

Additional information will be found in the on line catalogue as well as details of all the other lots in this auction:
www.mowbraycollectables.com
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 19-21 November 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Mowbray Collectables' 25 September 2021 public stamp auction

Post by MJ's pet »

Will be interesting to watch the Vanguard stamp:

NZ Herald, 2017 wrote: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/overseas-collector-pays-record ... EM2NCO67Y/

Overseas collector pays record price for New Zealand's rarest stamp

Against an estimate of $25,000, auctioneer John Mowbray says he had to contend with fierce bidding by telephone from interested purchasers.

It was eventually sold to an overseas stamp collector for $67,850, easily outstripping the previous world record of $31,050 set by Mowbray's in 2009.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Extensive Mowbrays article on the known copies, link here:

https://www.mowbrays.co.nz/files/ref-articles/new-zealand-3d-hms-vanguard.pdf

The example to be auction looks like one of the nicer copies.

David Smitham

Post by David Smitham »

It is!

This was the first to be discovered in the 1980s, and is a most attractive example of the few that were “rescued” from the furnace.

It was discovered by Geoff Grattan, as per the article referred to, above.

A copy of it is included with the lot.

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 19-21 November 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

towradji
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by towradji »

I had a quick look at the catalogue.

My eyes were drawn to lot 27 1927/56 Aust MUH where the describer values the stockcards at around $100!

Then in lot 69 a $750 picked over Cook Island collection is enhanced with sketches with "occasional delightful comment"

Are these plonkers serious.

I gave up after that.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

It will sell for a strong price I am sure, but I remain of the belief these are all Printers Waste, stolen at the time. One or two are gum OFFSET copies to prove that!) that someone has quietly leaked onto the market starting 40 years after the theft.

And as no police or PO action occurred, or confiscations enacted, more and more copies started magically appearing onto the market. We now have at least 7 recorded likely more, as some "private'' sales have occurred. Coff.

https://www.glenstephens.com/snmay17.html

NZ 3d “Vanguard” gets $NZ67,850.

I wrote in February in my magazine columns here in Australia and the UK, two full colour pages on the forthcoming Auction of this stamp, and on stampboards, adding a good deal of the history of this stamp. The estimate was $NZ25,000, and I predicted it would do far better than that. Full story here -

https://www.glenstephens.com/snmarch17.html

That was prophetic, and two clients told me they were going to join in the bidding after reading it. It was invoiced for a huge $NZ67,850. More than double what any of the other examples have sold for in the past.

I mentioned this to John Mowbray at the Melbourne Expo, and suggested he might like to donate a few bottles of bubbly to the stampboards member dinner that night as a tiny “Thank You”. Anyone who knows of John’s fabled Kiwi generosity will know the response to THAT!

In 1949 a proposed Royal Tour to Australia and New Zealand was cancelled, owing to the poor health of King George VI. The Royal Party was to travel on Battleship “H.M.S. Vanguard”, as they had previously done in 1947 on their tour to South Africa.

Apl17-NZ 1949 Vanguard 3d March 2017 Mowbray.jpg
NZ Ship stamp sells for huge price.

A set of 4 commemorative stamps were printed for the New Zealand Post Office by Waterlow & Sons of London. In a total run of 39 million stamps of 2d, 3d, 5d and 6d values. When news that the tour was cancelled was received, the stamps were ordered to be destroyed.

All “Printer’s Waste”?

Allegedly about 7 stamps were caught in the door of the destruction furnace, and were salvaged by a naughty workman: the rest being consigned to the flames. I doubt this. Stolen “Printer’s Waste” more likely. All are creased and damaged, some far more than others, indeed 2 of them have missing pieces. One has a full gum offset!

This aborted 3d “HMS Vanguard” stamp issue is mentioned in a footnote by Stanley Gibbons in catalogues after SG 697. The better looking stamp shown nearby was included in the Mowbray Collectables March 11 Public Stamp auction in NZ, with an estimate of NZ$25,000.

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”