New Zealand 1935 Pictorial Stamps study group

Feel free to start a specific forum on *YOUR* club. List out where you meet - and WHEN. Outline how to join, how to contact the club, the name of your journal and post entire contents of each journal if you wish - with photos! All **FREE**. Societies are the backbone of the hobby and we are delighted to support them as much as we can.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

geoffkr
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: New Zealand 1935 Pictorial Stamps study group

Post by geoffkr »

(Copied from main board)
I have the right half of a sheet of 1942 2d Whare, but missing its bottom right corner [4].

I assume this to be, therefore, from plate 3, the plate block having been removed (not by me!).

All sheets from Plate 3 had the plate number at bottom right, rather than bottom left (as for all other plates). The half sheet in question, however, does not have the usual registration crosses in the centre of lower and upper selvedges, only in the right (and presumably left) selvdeges.

Are all sheets from Plate 3 like this (i.e. lacking crosses below and above column 12-13 stamps)? If so, why the difference between Plate 3 and others in this respect?

Geoff

Mark
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Mark »

Sorry I can't help,

But does your sheet have the following flaw or any other similar sky markings.

A comet type mark in the cloud.

Mark
for more information on NZ 1935 pictorials visit http://www.newzealandstamps.net

geoffkr

Post by geoffkr »

Mark,
No, can't find such a flaw anywhere on this half-sheet. Is it a guide to the plate number?
Geoff

Graeme Morriss

Post by Graeme Morriss »

Well, it's only taken me 9 months, but my album pages as re-written for Blenpex 2012 in Blenheim last October are now on my personal website:

http://www.stampsmw.top1.com.au .

I was very pleased to receive 83% Large Vermeil - it well justified all the work to compress it from 7 frames to 5 - a jump of 9%. I also made sure that the judges had plenty of advance information on the draft title page and synopsis sent in with the entry form.

Looking back 9 months I can already see some things I want to work on. I am not happy with the presentation of the Blitz issues but can't see how to improve them yet. Please direct any comments through the email link on my website.

Thanks,
Graeme Morriss - Hon. Secretary, Manly-Warringah Stamp Club
https://www.philas.net.au/manly-warringah-stamp-club

warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

No prizes for picking a design similarity with this Swedish local.
I believe still available…

Mark

Post by Mark »

You can tell we love our 1935 pictorials here in New Zealand, when we paint our utility boxes with stamp designs !
and the inspiration...
for more information on NZ 1935 pictorials visit http://www.newzealandstamps.net

chippin
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by chippin »

That's definitely up-market grafiti.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Nice image of the newly released New Zealand Matariki 80c value alongside the 1935 pictorial 9d. , some great designs are worth repeating !

SarahP
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by SarahP »

Hi All

With the two images below, can I please ask:

2d Whare - there is a red line from the cabbage tree on the right up through the tekoteko to the left edge. I can't find reference to this anywhere? Is it a Dr blade flaw?. Also,

1d Kiwi - a definite shade of brown. I have seen something similar on a FDC but otherwise nothing. Any ideas on why this could be?

Cheers

Sarah
PS - unfortunately uploading the images has resulted in them being little "stretched" lol :oops:

Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Princestamps »

1d on right is a colour changeling, caused by sun fade. It is not rare.

Panterra
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Panterra »

Mark wrote:
Just found this newly issued Mini sheet online, trying to source some !, thought they might be fun on cover as a cinderella.
Cheers Mark
These were published by a stamp dealer in Rotorua, Ms Lois Ion. She probably still has stocks. email her on lois.ion@xtra.co.nz or contact her at P.O. Box 342, Rotorua 3040, New Zealand.

rgc119
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by rgc119 »

Hi
It has been quite some time since anyone has posted on this thread and so I thought that I would see if there is still any interest. I have recently updated the description of 1935 Pictorials at my website: http://www.nzstamps.org.uk and it now contains more on plate blocks etc.

One unusual feature of the 1935 pictorials is the use of the 13-14x13½ or 14-13x13½ perforations for the 2½d, 5d, 2/- and 3/- stamps in which the top and bottom perforations on each stamp were perf 13 for half the length and perf 14 for the other half.

The original issue of the 2/- stamp on single watermarked paper was issued perf 13-14x13½. A very small number of sheets were fed through the perforation machine in the opposite direction and so are perforated 14-13x13½. According to the Campbell Paterson Catalogue only 12 mint copies and one mint plate block of 4 are known perforated 14-13x13½.

R Odenweller in an article titled 'A Rarity Made More Common' (published in The Kiwi, vol 64, p152-153, September 2015) described the use of the rare perforation on the Pan American covers with a black cachet that were sent on the first trans Pacific flight from New Zealand to the USA on 2 January 1938. Such a cover is the last cover shown on the webpage at:

http://www.nzstamps.org.uk/air/panam/index.html

The 2/- stamps are in the rare perforation: 14-13x13½.

Interested to hear if other members have copies of this rare perforation.
Bob
My website: "New Zealand Stamp Images", at www.nzstamps.org.uk describes New Zealand philately, postage stamps, airmails and postal history.

warm

Post by warm »

Except for 1 PB image on Nov22 [page 1] all images converted to IMGUR.

Thread can be returned.

Fascinating information in this traditional philatelic thread.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, these were published by a stamp dealer in Rotorua, Ms Lois Ion. She probably still has stocks. email her on lois.ion@xtra.co.nz or contact her at P.O. Box 342, Rotorua 3040, New Zealand.

According to her brochure promoting the minisheet:
Lois Ion, Stamp Dealer wrote:On Thursday 1 April 2010 at Wahiao Meeting House, Whakarewarewa - Rotorua, a special memorial service was held to acknowledge and celebrate the Maori Guides.

Two cinderella labels were produced to mark this event. The design has been inspired by the original 1935 Pictorial stamps, which included the Maori themes. The cinderellas and covers produced by stamp and coin dealer - Lois Ion. I am a descendant, through whangai from Guide Kate - Keita Rangitukia Middlemiss, who guided at the Pink and White Terraces - Te Wairoa, Tarawera & Whakarewarewa.

Inspiration for producing these cinderellas is dedicated to: Te Te Rangikaheke, Mita Taupopoki, and all the Maori Guides who for over a century, and many generations, have brought the Maori culture and history to the world. The Guides also represent one of the longest-running family businesses in Aotearoa.

1st April indicates the Introduction of the Government Guiding licences, which Manawhenua were very much against.

Cinderella is a term used by philatelists to indicate that the issue in question is not an official Government Postal issue. Cinderellas cannot be used as normal postage, but are highly colleactable and generally associated with a significant event. Cinderellas can be traced back to the NZ 1906 Christchurch Exhibition.
I gather from Lois that the question marks represent her doubt about the Guide licences, and whether in fact these licences have any validity, as compared to the authenticity conferred by the Tribe leadership.

Lois also arranged a canceller, and then had the covers postmarked at Rotorua, including one with an NZ bisect:

A New Zealand stamp bisected on this Guiding cover!

Another cover celebrates the centenary of the Guiding industry.

Another cover: this time with the Australian bicentennial stamp, as a tip of the hat to our Australian friends!

The minisheet, cancelled on the auspicious day.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Looking through my collection, I have found this variant of the minisheet, with a different caption at the foot.

I seem to recall Lois mentioned that she changed the caption for some reason, perhaps to remove the ambiguity suggested by the question marks. I assume she still has stocks of these to sell.

Whakarewarewa Guiding Centenary, minisheet with revised caption at foot "Dedicated to the Maori Guides", and now with no mention of the disliked licences.

I also have an "imperf-between" error for this sheet, where the perfing technician may have been distracted by thoughts of approaching dinnertime:

Whakarewarewa Guiding Centenary, minisheet with revised caption at foot "Dedicated to the Maori Guides", and with imperf-between varieties.

Mark

Post by Mark »

After looking at many old postcards I finally found this one that matches
the view in the three shilling pictorial, can anyone else find a similar view ?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Mark wrote:Image

After looking at many old postcards I finally found this one that matches
the view in the three shilling pictorial, can anyone else find a similar view ?
Well it will be within 10 miles of where the original art was drawn I'd guess. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

JLEEFE
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by JLEEFE »

Quick question - is the following example - the stamp on the right - is that the flaw for the 2s Captain Cook and is there any value or is it fairly common

Mark

Post by Mark »

Depends on the printing, but the cat. value ranges from NZ$50.00 to 200.00. they are very common as mint, collectors at the time of issue were keen to acquire copies, used copies seem rarer, but their prices do not reflect this.

PMK-GVnut
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by PMK-GVnut »

Hi all,
I'm currently writing up my New Zealand 1935 Pictorial collection and have noted that the designer of the 2/- Captain Cook is, in some literature, called I. H. Jenkin and in others T. H. Jenkin. (Also Jenkins, but I think R. J. G. Collins has put that to bed in his Plate 1 study booklet).

I'm leaning towards T. H. Jenkin as per Mr. Collins booklet. Mr. Collins being an expert and probably knew Mr. Jenkin.
SG has it as I. H. Jenkins (In my New Zealand catalogue, that is certainly not the latest edition).

CP has it as I. H. Jenkin. (Again not a recent edition).

Any help appreciated.

Paul K

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

The NZ post website identifies the designer as T H Jenkins of Invercargill.

Having said that there is a Thomas Hugh Jenkin listed in the 1935 Invercargill electoral roll at 11 Layard St as an artist.

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Smitham »

Greetings!

Please bear in mind that the 1935 Pictorial stamps were valid for not only postage but also for revenue purposes.

A number of these issues were overprinted for specific revenue purposes, such as FINE PAID and DENOTING. These are additional varieties which may be included in any NZ 1935 Pictorial collection.

The 7th edition of the Kiwi Catalogue of New Zealand Revenue and Railway Stamps (which I edit) will be released later this year, and is expected to contain much more information about these and other NZ revenue/railway stamps than appears in the now out of print 6th edition.

Details will of course be posted on Stampboards.

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 19-21 November 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

PMK-GVnut

Post by PMK-GVnut »

satsuma wrote:The NZ post website identifies the designer as T H Jenkins of Invercargill.

Having said that there is a Thomas Hugh Jenkin listed in the 1935 Invercargill electoral roll at 11 Layard St as an artist.
Thanks David. I’m sure that’s the man.
Much appreciated.

Paul K

Kiwidude
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Kiwidude »

Hi there,

Here is the 1935 1½ Maori woman with hanging food Basket Official Block.

Is this a recorded flaw. Shaved O or Flat O on Official. Bottom left.
Image Image

A bit of toning on rear.

If its been recorded . What's it worth?

Thanks Peter
Anythings for sale, If the price is right. Send a board email.

Graeme Morriss

Post by Graeme Morriss »

Nothing in this forum for nearly two years? Have to work on that!

Love your Avatar, KiwiDude. Sorry, can't answer your question but Warm might know.

I have (finally!) re-created the website images of my 1935 Pictorials collection. No new images - it's just the same as when last exhibited in 2012 but at least it is back in public view. My previous website became obsolete - HTML4 instead of 5 or some such thing. But I have now discovered the wonders of the Wix system so back in cyberspace.

Here is the link:
https://stampsmw.wixsite.com/nzstamps/nz1935stamps

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Good to see you back Graeme .. why now list the pages here - and they will stay put as a reference forever then?

We have over a million images stored safely here on our huge USA servers.

THEN you can store huge images Iike the GB page below, and not these tiny little thumbnails sizes, with no absolutely no detail easily readable. :!:

Glen

Capture.JPG
MultipleStrikes2.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

chippin

Post by chippin »

SPINK, London are about to launch an e-auction of 1935 Pictorials. Details not on line yet.
Hoare Auction.JPG
Dr Philip Hoare was a member of the New Zealand Society of Great Britain and had, over many years,assembled some fantastic 1935 Pictorial material. This is being offered in this sale.

This is probably the best offering of this issue to come to the market in many years.

chippin

Post by chippin »

The Philip Hoare collection has some excellent essay material including a number of examples by Archer (these are much scarcer than those by Collins).

There is an article on Archer and his essays and proofs in the September 2021 issue of The Kiwi, journal of the New Zealands Society of Great Britain.

September Kiwi.JPG
http://www.nzsgb.org.uk/

Graeme Morriss

Post by Graeme Morriss »

Hi Glen and Chippin.

The thumbnails on my website should expand when clicked. Do you mean post all 80 images to Stampboards? Or is there another storage area on the site?

Thanks for the information on the Spink auction and the Kiwi article. I shall certainly look at both.

chippin

Post by chippin »

This auction is now live on the SPINK website.

https://live.spink.com/auctions/4-3845AZ/21115-the-philip-ho ... collection

Some exceptional material on offer. Much of this has been out of circulation for many years now.

Spink_Hoare screen grab.JPG

Graeme Morriss

Post by Graeme Morriss »

Thanks, Chippin.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Graeme Morriss wrote:
19 Sep 2021 11:42
Hi Glen

The thumbnails on my website should expand when clicked. Do you mean post all 80 images to Stampboards?

Or is there another storage area on the site?

Your thumbnails are just that - the clicked on max size I posted above - we allow DOUBLE that size now as I showed you.

80 pages is nothing - this thread won Thread Of The Month last month - many 100s of pages -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=89833

I am spending 5 figures a year to host our MILLION plus images forever on our own American servers. :mrgreen:

Glen

Graeme Morriss

Post by Graeme Morriss »

Thanks, Glen.

I have now looked at that thread with all the large images.
I'll certainly consider posting my images here. A few other projects underway at present but after that . . .

chippin

Post by chippin »

Further lots now added to the SPINK auction of Philip Hoare's collection of 1935 Pictorials. Now 310 lots in total.

Worth scanning through even if you don't collect this particular issue.

Return to “CLUBS - This is YOUR Club space to use however you wish - please add your details!”