Feb 11 - Free Webinar "The Penny Post: Before Stamps Were Forever"

Feel free to start a specific forum on *YOUR* club. List out where you meet - and WHEN. Outline how to join, how to contact the club, the name of your journal and post entire contents of each journal if you wish - with photos! All **FREE**. Societies are the backbone of the hobby and we are delighted to support them as much as we can.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Harmer
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Feb 11 - Free Webinar "The Penny Post: Before Stamps Were Forever"

Post by Harmer »

Feb 11 - Free Webinar The Penny Post: Before Stamps Were Forever by Catherine Golden

First - Thank everyone for attending Steven's presentation of NSW Postal History - I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

The February meeting should be interesting. This is more about the sociological impact of the first postage stamp and the change in philosophy and its unintended impact on society.

Having a background in anthropology / Sociology as well as an interest in postal history, I sometimes forget to the societal impact of stamps.

Thank you Stampboards for having such a great forum.

-Joan

The British Empire Study Group invites you to join us on Thursday, February 11th 2021 at 6 PM EST for a FREE webinar

The Penny Post: Before Stamps Were Forever by Catherine Golden

The postage stamp was as revolutionary to the Victorians as email and texting have been to us today. In early Victorian Britain, letter writing was the only way to communicate with someone across distances, but the recipient—not the sender—paid to receive a letter, which could cost a week’s wages.

The Penny Post turned letter writing from a privilege for the wealthy into an affordable means of communication. There is a dark side, however; the Penny Post became a tool for blackmail, slander, unsolicited mass mailings, and junk mail—Victorian problems that remain relevant to our lives today.

Join the British Empire Study Group on February 11th at 6 pm (EST) as we host Catherine J. Golden, professor of English and the Tisch Chair in Arts and Letters at Skidmore College. Her book Posting It received the 2010 DeLong Book History Prize for the best book on any aspect of the creation, dissemination, or uses of script or print awarded by SHARP (Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing) and the Vermeil Medal from the Chicago Philatelic Society at CHICAGOPEX 2011.

Following the webinar we will have an open discussion with Catherine.

Link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/2516111011055/WN_W3GJgASkSGmhEyG9p27_9g

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Feb 11 - Free Webinar The Penny Post: Before Stamps Were Forever by Catherine Golden

Post by Catweazle »

Darn, I missed this!

Sounds like it would have been a real fascinating webinar. Hope it went off with a bang!

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Feb 11 - Free Webinar The Penny Post: Before Stamps Were Forever by Catherine Golden

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Yes. It was great

mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

It's available on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnkhjllQzVI

DigitalPhilatelist
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by DigitalPhilatelist »

mozzerb wrote:
15 Mar 2021 09:17
It's available on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnkhjllQzVI
Let's go get you some traffic! :)
If you have a philatelic blog, website, organisation etc., let me know! You can list it for free at TheDigitalPhilatelist.com.

Return to “CLUBS - This is YOUR Club space to use however you wish - please add your details!”