Share your embossed/impressed Duty Stamps

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Share your embossed/impressed Duty Stamps

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Impressed duty stamps are revenue stamps that were embossed directly on documents, and they predate adhesive stamps by a couple of centuries. They were widely used in Britain starting from around the 17th-18th centuries, and I believe they are still in use today.

They were initially colourless, but eventually they began to be embossed in rose and later vermilion. Sometimes the stamps were impressed on sheets of paper and cut out in order to avoid stamping each document individually - these were among the first adhesive revenue stamps.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, impressed duty stamps were used in many British colonies and dominions, including the Australian states. They were also used in a few non-Commonwealth countries such as Egypt.

A few countries such as Kenya, Hong Kong and several Malay states used impressed stamps as a means to cancel revenue stamps - in this case these are known as over-embossing dies.

Impressed duty stamps were commonly used throughout many countries until around the late 1970s, when they began to be phased out. Nevertheless, they are still in use in a few countries such as Uganda.

Anyway, here are a few examples from Malta, with the recorded dates of usage below:
1d and 2d values with imperial crown (pre-independence) and 2d, 4d and decimal 1c7 values with mural crown (post-independence)
(note: the image for the 1d is taken from Revenue Reverend, the rest are from my collection. There is an error since the earliest known use of the 1d is 1922 not 1926.)
Here is the 2d with the imperial crown on its original document. The stamp is dated 1959, and the invoice was used in 1961.
If anyone has any impressed duty stamps, either as cut-outs or full documents, please post them here. :D
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

GlenStephens

Re: Share your embossed/impressed Duty Stamps

Post by GlenStephens »

Interesting topic ..... yes a lot of countries issued these.

Some of them - the Western Australia ones come quickly to mind, can be worth a fortune in some cases, and many collectors wrongly assume these all have 'minimal' value!

The face values used heavily can be pretty common but for obscure face values, and obscure die forms, a different ball game. 8)

I listed up this unusual piece up for sale today that shows both embossed and normal perforated stamps on the same cheque!

Image ..Image

1907 Cheque, with both Tasmania + Vic 1/- Duty Stamps!
Never seen anything like this before. :mrgreen:

Drawn on Melbourne, and payable at Stanley Tasmania, this ornate cheque for only £28/19/10 has an embossed 1/- Victoria Duty stamp, and also the perforated TASMANIA 1/- stamp affixed and cancelled.

Festooned with various bank and accountancy handstamps. Superb visual appeal. 8)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by alltorque »

A nice usage of multiple £100 Tombstones from Western Australia.
These where used right up to 1966 decimals.
cheers.

HalfpennyYellow

The WA piece is really interesting. According to Dave Elsmore's catalogue, there were £200 and £500 embossed dies, so I wonder why they decided to use 18x£100 rather than 3x£500 along with a £200 and a £100? Perhaps the higher values had been withdrawn by 1927?

Interestingly, the decimal issue which replaced these had values up to $10000!
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

Hi,
The £200 and £500 where not issued until 1946 so they had to use the highest value they had at the time , being the £100.
As you mentioned Australia's highest value revenue was the WA impressed $10,000..
Not many people know of this, thinking the Qld £5000 was the holy grail!
Hard to call with conversion rates from pound to dollars?
cheers

HalfpennyYellow

alltorque wrote:The £200 and £500 where not issued until 1946 so they had to use the highest value they had at the time , being the £100.
That makes more sense. Since Elsmore does not list dates of use of individual values, I had assumed that the higher values had been issued earlier.

There seems to be limited resources available about impressed duty stamps. The only more or less complete listing I know of is the Barber catalogue of 1998, which is out of print. Booth has a specialized listing of the UK and Ireland issues. The only online resources I know of are the following (listed here in order to make it easy if someone is searching for further info):

Dave Elsmore (not every value illustrated, priced in Australian dollars): Revenue Reverend (every stamp illustrated, unpriced): Note that these listings might not be complete - new discoveries are still being made from time to time in this area.

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

Great Reference leads...thanks for the heads up.
My main interest is Australia but always up to looking1
cheers

HalfpennyYellow

Here is a British Bill or Note 1d impressed stamp, dated 8 June 1909, used on a bill of exchange. The document also bears a Malta 1906 1d revenue stamp.

Bill or Note is one of the commoner types of impressed duty stamps. I believe that there are hundreds of types which were in use from the 19th to the 20th centuries.

JohnE
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by JohnE »

Found about 90 Queensland Impressed revenues on piece in an auction box lot I purchased recently. Here are a few of the higher values and interesting multiples.
May start a new collecting area for me....

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Those Queensland went up to VERY high values!

Listed up this £200 recently - stock 431ER. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

HalfpennyYellow

JohnE wrote:Found about 90 Queensland Impressed revenues on piece in an auction box lot I purchased recently. Here are a few of the higher values and interesting multiples.
May start a new collecting area for me....
That's an interesting lot. :D Like Glen said, the set went up to £5000. There's a listing here, although I'm not sure of the accuracy of the prices: https://www.ozrevenues.com/Revenue-Railway-Local-Perfin-Catalogue/qld-revenue-catalogue.htm

I don't have any Queensland impressed duty stamps in my collection yet.

HalfpennyYellow

To get this thread going once again, here is probably the most unusual impressed stamp in my collection. It is a cheque bearing Malta's 2d stamp of 1966-71, however the stamp is an albino impression. It is evidently an error, since I also have the consecutive cheque with a normal stamp.

Does anyone else have examples of impressed duty stamps in their collection?

michaelpbreen

Help Identifying this "stamp" ....

Post by michaelpbreen »

Hey Folks,

Anyone know what this is. Looks like some kind of document tax stamp of some sort from Great Britain.

Thanks,

Mike

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

Very nice and a great proving piece being consecutive numbered cheques.
I wonder what went wrong in the process???
Lovely combination for a Malta display.
Keep em coming!
cheers

HalfpennyYellow

Re: Help Identifying this "stamp" ....

It's an impressed duty stamp from Britain. These were embossed onto cheques and other types of documents to indicate that a particular duty had been paid. A revenue stamp (or a dual-purpose postage and revenue stamp) was required to pay the tax if the document did not already have an impressed stamp.

Britain had many different types of these impressed stamps, starting from the 17th century, and I'm not sure if any are still in use today (not on cheques however). Yours is a common 1d issue, dated 30 July 1912 (the imprinted date within the stamp), with the document having been used sometime in 1913 (the handwritten date at the top).

I had actually started a thread about these last year, and there is some more information there: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=76874&p=5370048
(maybe the mods can merge the threads?)

michaelpbreen

Post by michaelpbreen »

Thanks so much!

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:I had actually started a thread about these last year, and there is some more information there: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=76874&p=5370048
(maybe the mods can merge the threads?)
Threads merged as suggested. :idea:

HalfpennyYellow

alltorque wrote:Very nice and a great proving piece being consecutive numbered cheques.
I wonder what went wrong in the process???
Lovely combination for a Malta display.
Keep em coming!
cheers
I bought those cheques from separate eBay auctions, but from the same seller. The seller had a bunch of similar cheques - probably he was selling an entire chequebook. After I purchased the error (#220830), I had a look at sold listings and ongoing listings. The previous cheque (#220829) had sold some days before, but the next one (#220831) was still available so I went ahead and bought it. All the other cheques that were sold at the time had a normal 2d vermilion embossed stamp.

I suspect that the error occurred because when whoever was doing the embossing caught two cheques at once, resulting in one being embossed and inked, but the other being embossed without any of the vermilion ink. I'm pretty sure that this was not a unique error, but I have never seen any others (although admittedly I've only been interested in revenues for a couple of years).

HalfpennyYellow

A little bump to this thread.

This is the largest multiple of GB impressed duty stamps in my collection. It's not rare or anything and I bought it very cheaply on eBay, but I quite like it. It's cut out from an insurance document, and it bears four £1 (die K), one 2/- (die K) and one 1/6 (die E) stamps, all dated 10 November 1919.

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

(quote) I suspect that the error occurred because when whoever was doing the embossing caught two cheques at once, resulting in one being embossed and inked, but the other being embossed without any of the vermilion ink. I'm pretty sure that this was not a unique error, but I have never seen any others (although admittedly I've only been interested in revenues for a couple of years).

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one!!!!! It would of been too hard to clean the die before the next impression...Having consecutive numbered cheques proves it pretty convincingly.....

I am putting together my first ever exhibit, of Impressed WA tombstones and would of loved to have an "albino" like that to show.!
I've Got a few half "inked" and "foreign inclusions" but not something like yours..! Love it.
Good stuff.
Cheers,
Ian

HalfpennyYellow

Here are examples of mid-20th century impressed duty stamps from Malta and Nyasaland, both used on Barclays Bank DCO cheques from my collection.

The Malta item is a relatively late usage of a design which had been introduced in the 1930s and which was used until shortly after independence (it was replaced by a similar design with a mural crown sometime around 1965/66).

I don't have any information about the Nyasaland stamp, but I know that it also exists in albino/colourless impressions apart from the one in vermilion as shown below.

Last edited by Global Administrator on 25 Aug 2020 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards!

ebay
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by ebay »

These few aren't on any documents just cut out but thought i'd add them here.
IMG_20200824_0001.jpg
£25
My mission: To get one decent example of every single Queen Victoria stamp. ( minus a few impossible to get. )

ebay

Post by ebay »

IMG_20200824_0002.jpg
£30
My mission: To get one decent example of every single Queen Victoria stamp. ( minus a few impossible to get. )

ebay

Post by ebay »

IMG_20200824_0003.jpg
£40

ebay

Post by ebay »

I have a few more but i'll leave them for another time as I don't want to overpost the thread.
But i'll add these as they're the highest values I've got.
IMG_20200824_0014.jpg
£50K

HalfpennyYellow

Wow - £50,000 is probably the highest face value I've ever seen!

According to Barefoot the highest face value is £1 million, but I don't recall ever seeing that one.

HalfpennyYellow

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
25 Aug 2020 06:17
According to Barefoot the highest face value is £1 million, but I don't recall ever seeing that one.
An example of the £1,000,000 value - a cut out from a 1991 document - is currently available on eBay from the seller mikbus-99 with a starting bid of £149: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133640217767

s-l1600 (48).jpg

He has sold several other examples of this high value recently:

£1,000,000 x 2 for £499 on 28 December:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133619476569

s-l1600 (49).jpg

£1,000,000 + £250,000 for £199 on 7 January:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133626022675

s-l1600 (50).jpg

£1,000,000 x 1 for £199 on 10 January:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133632990570

s-l1600 (51).jpg

£1,000,000 x 4 for £199 on 12 January:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133634371492

s-l1600 (52).jpg

Iain P
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Iain P »

I hadn't realised some of these could go for such large sums!

I'm new at this and have just started buying (cheap...) embossed duty stamps on eBay. They have yet to arrive, but I found this one in a batch of Cinderellas I bought this week.

Now I'm thinking maybe it's NOT a duty stamp as there's no value printed on it. A search here and online didn't pull up any obvious results. Is this indeed a duty stamp, and if not, do you know what it is please?

Iain

Foreign Office embossed stamp
Foreign Office embossed stamp

HalfpennyYellow

Iain, although the colour does seem to match the vermilion used in most impressed duty stamps, I don't think that's a stamp since it doesn't have a face value, a date or any indication of a tax being paid. I think it's some sort of embossed imprint from a letterhead or the back of an envelope/postal stationery.

For example, something along these lines (but this is a company and yours is from the government):

Iain P

Post by Iain P »

"I don't think that's a stamp...I think it's some sort of embossed imprint from a letterhead or the back of an envelope/postal stationery." Thanks, that confirms my worst suspicions :)
Iain

ernelopez
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by ernelopez »

Hi!

I have this postcard(?). It is both postal stationery and a document with an embossed revenue.
uk_1934_a_zpsyz0cwnkl.jpg
uk_1934_b_zpsbmcejjzm.jpg
Hope you like it!

Ernesto

ernelopez

Post by ernelopez »

I also have this fragment from a bill of exchange (maybe). It has a revenue from Argentina (1884) and an embossed one from UK (1883).

IMG_20210121_185159900~2.jpg

It is really a pity it is not complete...

Best regards!
Ernesto

Iain P

Post by Iain P »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
22 Jan 2021 05:15
I think it's some sort of embossed imprint from a letterhead or the back of an envelope/postal stationery.

For example, something along these lines (but this is a company and yours is from the government):

Looking at your envelope again I suddenly realised you are spot on. On the back of the "stamp" is the glued on remains of, I suppose, the evidence of part of...an envelope! It was originally larger than this but I cut it off as it was getting in the way of it lying flat. I wondered at the time why there were at least 2 layers :oops:

back of Foreign Office embossed imprint
back of Foreign Office embossed imprint

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”