Tibet 1924 Mt Everest Expedition stamps or Cinderellas

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

goof
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Tibet 1924 Mt Everest Expedition stamps or Cinderellas

Post by goof »

The swasika comes from sanskrit meaning it is good and was widely used in India and Nepal, it was also used during the Raj as a symbol of good luck. I have a first edition of the Jungle Book somewhere which actually has the swastika in a circle on the front cover.

It was adopted by the nazi party in the 1920's and then rotated 90 degrees by Hitler in the 1930s.

So swastika's in Hinduism and Buddhism are considered good luck and not in any way nefarious.

regards
Mick

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Value Of the 1924 Everest Expedition Covers And Item?

Post by traralgon3844 »

A hotch potch collection came into the charity on Thursday and there were some very nice items amongst the common material.

There were a couple of items outside my collecting field including these items.

There were two covers from a 1924 expedition to Mount Everest, one a little moth eaten. There was also a nice piece with a cancelled trio.

A quick google search indicates that there might be some value in these. Does anyone have some knowledge in the area and an approximate value?
The ebay search I conducted only revealed covers with actual postage stamps attached to pay the postage, making these unusual.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Paul .... more info above!

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

For ALL Information on Mount Everest Expeditions, look here...
http://www.himalayana.com/
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

xanthorrea
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by xanthorrea »

Further to the comments made otherwise, the two covers cancelled with the Tibet cachets are decidedly unusual. I have been collecting India for some time (well over 30 years in round figures) and have a few of the cards with the more common cancels and also some of the rarer ones.

The vast majority of 1924 Everest material one sees are the postcards with the cinderella cancelled with the red Rongbuk Glacier cachet. These are franked with Indian 1 1/2a stamps and are postmarked Darjeeling or mostly Calcutta. Just the cinderellas themselves and with Tibet cancels and further addressed to the far reaches colony of Australia lift them into the scarce category. Likewise the piece with the three cancels - again most uncommon. I would expect that you should be able to command quite a nice price for these items - north of A$200 I should say.
Collects India to 1947, 1911 Coronation Durbar, British Empire, worldwide postal history, Australia used on cover and anything else interesting. I'll think of something more inspiring one day.

aranyadc

Post by aranyadc »

Hi

As a part of my carried covers, I have the normal "British Empire Exhibition" cancelled postcard and a mint block of four of the cinderella.

However saw one more with me, this one cancelled in Darjeeling and mailed to England
This Postcard depicts the first recorded mass mailing date for the Advertising Postcard, which is August 18th 1924, i.e. just over two weeks after the Expedition returned to Darjeeling. Later mass mailings continued until October 30th, when the last consignment was dispatched from Calcutta.

Regards
Aranya
Like unusual stamps and unusually carried covers. Anything out of the ordinary. Visit my website blog http://www.aranyas.net/blog-on-carried-covers.html for an interesting read of such items.

adam78
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by adam78 »

Here's a nice scan again of the much rarer "17,000 ft" cancel
It'll be in the RPSNZ November sale.

Adam.

funbaldguy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by funbaldguy »

I notice most of the cinderellas for Everest have the base-camp postmark.

In this guide the base-camp postmark has six sided stars while most of the letters shown here have five. How many postmarks were there?

Just curious, George.

Kiwidude wrote:Hi,

I recently bought a handbook called The Postage Stamps & Postal History of Tibet by H.D.S.Haverbeck.
There is so much info.
At the back of the handbook is the scanned info.
Hope it helps.
If anyone needs help with something.
Don't hesitate posting a picture & I'll try help.
There's a Tibet alphabet & pronunciation, Monetary system, postmarks, radio/telegraph stamps.etc

Peter
The most interesting thing about a postage stamp is the persistence with which it sticks to its job....

warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

This cover was mentioned in the upcoming sale of the magnificent Bo Olsson Tibet collection by Feldmans in early December 2017

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78292

An absolutely unique cover with a block of six of the special 1924 Mt. Everest Expedition seal. All such covers mailed from Tibet are indeed scarce.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

warm wrote:This cover was mentioned in the upcoming sale of the magnificent Bo Olsson Tibet collection by Feldmans in early December 2017

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78292

An absolutely unique cover with a block of six of the special 1924 Mt. Everest Expedition seal. All such covers mailed from Tibet are indeed scarce.
Very cool. :)

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

Superb cover. perhaps the potential buyer would like to complement his purchase with this unused block of six I currently have listed on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292211553784?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Wow; a superb piece of history there for sale at the auction, not to mention the scarf sent from the Dalai Lama almost one hundred years ago. This is why philately is such an intriguing hobby. Some things never cease to amaze me!

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

For the record, this is for sale on ebay with a buy-it-now price of approximately AUD$75.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143601668784?hash=item216f5392b0:g:OK8AAOSw0YxexAK8

1924 Everest Cinderella Block
1924 Everest Cinderella Block

Now I'm not 100% certain, but judging by some of this seller's other odd looking listings... is this real or fake?

I still prefer the look of W5LDY's block above....

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

VERY clearly the wrong colour, totally wrong perf guage, wrong gum.

And offered at 25% of what a real block would be.

It is FakeBay ..... go join up the dots Ben. :roll: :roll: :roll:

EVERYTHING this Croatia spiv hermes_diactoros offers is FAKE -- please report him folks - he MUST describe this stuff as FAKE and mark it thus, by eBay rules.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/hermes_diactoros/m.html?item=143 ... 6732.m1684

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Yes, I thought it might be.

...Actioned!

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”