"Islands of Malta" map cinderellas - any info?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

"Islands of Malta" map cinderellas - any info?

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

These two cinderellas are currently on ebay:
I am also aware of another two types, inscribed "Gozo Post" and "Comino Post" with different colours, but I don't seem to have saved images of these. They are similar to some of the 1971 GB postal strike private stamps.

Does anyone know who, when and why they were produced, as no info seems to be available anywhere on these? :?
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: "Islands of Malta" map cinderellas - any info?

Post by gavin-h »

Hi, Halfpenny Yellow,

I've moved this to the Cinderella Forum where hopefully it'll generate more responses for you...

HalfpennyYellow

5 years down the line, and still no answers.

I'm now also aware that these stamps exist perforated, but I still have no idea as to the who/where/when/why. If anyone has any information/comments about these please do post here. :)
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

westminstrel
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by westminstrel »

I’m in love with “Cinderellas” (I just learned the term). Every time I see these posts and images I get so excited but also afraid as I have so much to learn.

HalfpennyYellow

A couple of these cinderellas (perforated versions) are currently available on eBay from i.b.redguy, and the listings mention "Ken Gibson Local Post" and the date 1988.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373730387736

It would be interesting to have some sort of proof which validates these claims. Does anyone know who this Ken Gibson was?

The best reference to him I found online is a brief mention on the GB Overprints Society website which deals with unofficial "Ken Gibson Loves Lundy Locals" overprints on Machins:
GB Overprints Society wrote:Early in the 1980s the late Ken Gibson (who at that time ran the Lundy Philatelic Bureau on behalf of the Landmark Trust) gave out as souvenirs certain values of the current Machin definitives overprinted (approximately) as shown:

As a result of these unauthorised overprints (and many others on Lundy stamps) his contract was terminated.
Mods - feel free to include "Ken Gibson" in the thread title.

phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by phrag99 »

i.b.redguy is a member, here (notbruce) and a well-known cinderella stamp dealer with an excellent local reputation.

If you drop him an email, I'm pretty sure he will respond in due course.

faro
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by faro »

I hadn't seen this thread or these cinderellas before.
On stylistic grounds, my immediate thought was also Ken Gibson even if he more usually referenced British islands and the above are more towards the "rough" end of those (compare with Hilbre).

Certainly nothing to do with the 1971 UK or any other postal strike that I know of!

HalfpennyYellow

phrag99 - I contacted Mike (aka i.b.redguy / Not Bruce) and in his reply he stated that according to his notes, these cinderellas were produced by Gibson in 1988 after he had visited the islands on holiday the previous year.

I wasn't able to find much more information on Gibson except that he was involved in the design and production of various cinderellas, mainly related to Lundy and other British islands.

faro - thanks for pointing out the Hilbre Island stamp, which does indeed bear similarities to the Malta issue (it's from 1987 so the two are contemporaneous). When I mentioned the postal strike, I was thinking of private issues printed on coloured paper such as those of the Bournemouth & District Emergency Postal Service, although I acknowledge that their printing quality is better than Gibson's Malta issue.

Just for reference, here is the entire Malta set in both versions (perf and imperf):

Islands of Malta perf.jpg
Islands of Malta imperf.jpg

The first three are inscribed Malta, Gozo and Comino, which are the country's three main islands. On the map, Gozo is the small island on the left, Malta is the larger one on the right, and Comino is the tiny one between them. The last stamp is inscribed "st. paul's", which seems to be a reference to St Paul's Island(s), a tiny islet off the main island of Malta which is too small to be visible on the map.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”