Question about Australia Tax Instalment Stamps

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

billlel
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Question about Australia Tax Instalment Stamps

Post by billlel »

I have these tax instalment stamps with a "check" tab on them.

My old boss used to pay my income tax using these stamps but i don`t recall seeing the check tab on group certificate. How i wish i had them now !!!! :(

Could anybody explain to me where these tabs went. Was it to the tax office as a type of reciept?

Cheers Bill.

Collecting Australian postmarks.

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Re: Question about Tax Instalment Stamps

Post by admin »

If your boss charged you £1 tax and took that from your wage, he licked one bit to the filing he made to tax dept, and one bit in the tax book he was supposed to keep to SHOW he'd remitted your tax. :mrgreen:

Was widely used system for casual workers and tradesmen on building sites etc.

I think $200 was as high as they went.

I found this new blurred brown colour on centre vignette in among some I bought, and sold it last year.

Philanthropist
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Philanthropist »

Your employer was supposed to purchase these, frequently from the post office, and each month put the correct amount of Income Tax deducted from you pay into a Income Tax Stamp Deduction Book, one page for each employee.

The pages were divided into two halves, the larger stamp was placed on the reverse of one half and signed/dated, and the smaller half on the reverse of the other half.

At the end of the year, the employee half was torn out and sent to you, the book with the other halves and smaller stamp was sent to the Tax Office. The system has been superseded by Group Certificates, but it lingered on for use by smaller employers, or those using casual labour.

Dont know if the system is still in use, but I have seen decimal stamps as well. Regards

dmol
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Question about Tax Instalment

Post by dmol »

Philanthropist wrote:Your employer was supposed to purchase these, frequently from the post office, and each month put the correct amount of Income Tax deducted from you pay into a Income Tax Stamp Deduction Book, one page for each employee.

The pages were divided into two halves, the larger stamp was placed on the reverse of one half and signed/dated, and the smaller half on the reverse of the other half.

At the end of the year, the employee half was torn out and sent to you, the book with the other halves and smaller stamp was sent to the Tax Office. The system has been superseded by Group Certificates, but it lingered on for use by smaller employers, or those using casual labour.

Dont know if the system is still in use, but I have seen decimal stamps as well. Regards
Mum and Dad had a small construction business in the early 70s, and they used them then. Not sure how long after that they were used.
Denis.

billlel

Post by billlel »

Thanks for your replies.

I do remember posting these off to the tax dept :twisted: and then getting my pittance rebate.

So where to with the stamps after that??

Did A.T.O keep them, shred them, file them or maybe recycle them.

I bet there were a few revenue collectors in the department that would be rubbing their hands with glee come tax time every year.

Just a thought. Thanks Bill.

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

billlel wrote:
Did A.T.O keep them, shred them, file them or maybe recycle them.

I bet there were a few revenue collectors in the department that would be rubbing their hands with glee come tax time every year.
Or sell them to dealers?

Over a decade ago I was able to obtain (and all are guaranteed to have been obtained 100% legally, I hasten to add!) an exciting hoard of covers all similar design to the one shown below.

Each cover is an OFFICIAL issue (collectible in itself), Australia Post business size envelope, with the official Australia Post logo, addressed to Federal Tax Departments in the various states.

The idea behind it was that you used this special envelope to priority lodge your tax return, and you paid $A20 for the Express Post and handling fee to do this promptly. In the top right hand corner there is a cute stamp-like box, complete with fake perforations, which requests that you "AFFIX $20 IN POSTAGE STAMPS HERE."

The large $20 stamp generally covers part or all this box of course - the cover shown above was an aberrant one that did not!

The vast majority of Post Offices licked on one of those fearfully boring white "supermarket ticket" PCC counter register labels denominated "$20" on the space, and that sufficed as postage.

VERY few P.O.'s even then carried $A20 stamps at any time, and in the cases where P.O.'s DID affix "real" stamps, they used either $A5 or $A10 values to make up the $A20. Most of what I bought had those, and i used them off for used copies pretty much. The scarce ones just have a single $A20 stamp!

These are the beautiful $A20 John Glover "Van Dieman's Land" Painting stamps of 1990, with gold foiled "$A20" and "Australia." This is all but impossible to find in USED condition. The few that were used went on heavy overseas parcels, got battered about and are often badly damaged, and thus seldom come back to Australia either way.

Much more detail at -

https://www.glenstephens.com/cover.html

Many senders wrote their name and address on reverse. (I have disguised this one.) THEN the Tax Dept sold the envelopes! Amazing.

billlel

Post by billlel »

Thanks Glen, great info.
So, er, um, how does one go about getting on the "mailing list".
If you know what i mean :wink:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Question about Tax Instalment

Post by Global Administrator »

dmol wrote: Mum and Dad had a small construction business in the early 70s, and they used them then.

Not sure how long after that they were used.

Denis.
The were used right into the circa 2000 era as I recall?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Question about Australia Tax Instalment Stamps

Post by RogerE »

The decimal series of Australian Commonwealth tax stamps
was first issued in 1966 (of course!), and the top face value
was $20.00. Collectors prefer to collect them as joined pairs:
when separated, the smaller "check" (right) portion is valued at
roughly 50% of the value of the joined pair, while the larger
"instalment" (left) portion is valued at roughly 25% of the value
of the joined pair.

A 1971 series (again up to $20.00) followed, and in the same
year printings with a security underprint were produced (as shown
on the $200.00 stamps in the [Wed Apr 08, 2009 07:48:35 am]
posting in this thread). The three top values ($40.00, $100.00
and $200.00) first appeared in 1984.

A listing is included in Dave Elsmore's online catalogue of
Australian revenue stamps — but you have to look for the
Income Tax section, as the various revenue stamp classes
appear in the order listed on the first page of the catalogue:
https://tinyurl.com/segzh3e

/RogerE :D

DarrenK

Do Tax stamps get cancelled when redeemed?

Post by DarrenK »

I was looking through an old album and found these Australian Tax stamps.

Tax stamps.jpg

I just wanted to know if the stamps were cancelled or defaced in some way when submitted to the tax office? If they are still valid, the album was a bargain.

I did a search online and this was a tax office response in November 2020.

Our staff guide states:
Prior to 16 December 1995, customers were able to purchase tax stamps to pre-pay some of their annual income tax liability. The ATO will continue to honour these credits. Customers can claim credit for their tax stamps by
• Attaching the tax stamps with their tax return, or
• Writing in.

Credit for tax stamps will only be approved if the customer has a TFN and are up to date with all their lodgment obligations.

Advise customers to attach the tax stamps to their tax return when it is lodged. The credit will be included as tax instalment deductions on their assessment.

I tried searching where to get tax/revenue stamps from these days but I could not locate anywhere that still has these therefore I suggest you use the write in option.

When you write in please include the following details of the taxpayer:

Full name
TFN
Address
Phone number
The tax stamps, and
A statutory declaration stating that the credit has not previously been claimed.

You will then send your written request with all details, tax stamps & the Stat Dec. to:
Australian Taxation Office
Accounting Sydney
52 Goulburn St,
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Question about Australia Tax Instalment Stamps

Post by Global Administrator »

Darren . . . you only have HALF stamps there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suspect you will get $100 or so as a COLLECTIBLE tho!

s-l1600ff.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”