Lord Roberts World War I Charity Stamp Labels Discussion

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

mac
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Lord Roberts World War I Charity Stamp Labels Discussion

Post by mac »

This subject has been suggested by members based on comments made on the 'Free Listing Charges on Ebay' topic.

The subject, at least for my area of interest, Malaya, appears to have been neglected over the years, and this will be an attempt to redress that neglect.

Two subjects have been identified to date, Censor Mail and Charity Labels. I hope I will be able to create these sub headings, and any others which may develop over time. If I get the placements wrong, please forgive me and rectify them on my behalf, it would be appreciated.

I intend to commence with the subjects at the weekend when I will have time to scan examples etc.

I hope you all enjoy the results of this endeavour!

(Note to moderator(s), how do I do sub-headings within a topic? :roll:
'A dim light shines brightly in a dark place'

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: World War 1 Censor Mail and Charity Labels

Post by GlenStephens »

mac wrote:
(Note to moderator(s), how do I do sub-headings within a topic? :roll:
You can't. :D

Start 2 seperate topics if you wish. But be VERY SPECIFIC with thread headings please.

I changed your original heading of "World War 1" - as that means nothing to anyone. :mrgreen:

Maybe take a read of our guidelienes

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=2556

Glen - owner

============

9. Create Descriptive Titles

Make thread titles as specific and descriptive as possible. Sometimes posters will start a thread with a very general title such as, "Guess what?" or "Help needed" or "US1dollar" or "Russia". These are all simply meaningless to most members, who are busy, and simply do not have time to click on vague thread headings.

Be as SPECIFIC as possible in your thread titles, and if you want to improve or change your thread's title after you create it, ask a moderator in that forum for help - or edit it yourself, which you can do within an hour of posting it. This board has 1000s of members from 70 countries. Do not ASSUME they can read your mind. If you are asking a question about an Australia 1937 3d Blue, KGVI head Die 1A identification .. do not start a thread headed "3d Blue". :idea:

mac

Re: World War 1 - Censor Mail and Charity Labels discussion

Post by mac »

Thanks Glen.

:)

mac

Post by mac »

Malaya issued several charity labels during World War 1. At the time, the area was divided into three seperate areas for administration, the Straits Settlements, (Singapore, Malacca and Penang), the 'Federated Malay States' and the remaining 'Native Protected States'.
Only the Straits Settlements and the Federated Malay States issued charity labels.
Illustrated are labels issued for the Straits Settlements, they are not common and difficult to find on cover.

mac

Post by mac »

Please add any information you may have on any other labels that may exist for other countries!

:D

OttawaMike
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by OttawaMike »

Mod Hat On

Since this now seems to be intended as a discussion of WWI Charity Labels, the thread will be moved to the Cinderella forum where it might get more attention and the heading amended accordingly. Feel free to start a second thread on WWI censor mail if you wish! :D

Mod Hat Off

tonymacg
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: World War 1 Charity Labels Discussion

Post by tonymacg »

This one is a minor curiosity. Gibbons actually record (and price it) in a footnote: "A special printing of the (1 Anna) took place in late 1917 in connection with the "OUR DAY" Red Cross Society Fund. This had the "RAJ BUNDI" inscription in the bottom tablet with the face value below it. The top tablet carried four Devanagari characters for "OUR DAY". No evidence has been found to suggest that this 1a. stamp was used for postal purposes."

The OUR DAY stamp is at left, and an ordinary 1 Anna stamp (SG 39 from Setting 18 for the Cows lovers) is at right. The OUR DAY seems to have a postal cancellation, despite Gibbons. Unfortunately, there isn't enough of the CDS to be sure.
de Selby lives, and will return

hatter

Post by hatter »

Mac I can't find much on this subject, apart from this picture of Lord Roberts the Sponsor / founder / patron ( ?) of the Lord Roberts Memorial Workshops

so this will bump the topic back into visibility,

Hatter

Philanthropist
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Philanthropist »

The name of Delandre should appear here. Very, very colourful French character who created thousands of vignettes for World War 1 period, many with charitable connections. Regards

sbone
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by sbone »

For more information on Delandre vignettes, you can have a look on my website : http://vignettesdelandre.free.fr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I still have some sections (such as red cross) to complete but you will already have a good overview.

leamphil

Post by leamphil »

I've got this pane of what are apparently French WW I propaganda (anti-German) labels but I've not managed to find any background to them or their production - any ideas ?
They are inscribed "De L'‰toile N öclist" above each pane and the bottom row relates the reaction of Pope Benoit (Benedict) XV.

sbone

Post by sbone »

Your pane is made of French WW I propaganda (anti-German) labels edited by "Etoile Noëliste"
The full pane is made with 25 labels which can be in different colors.
This item is mentionned in "Les vignettes patriotiques fran'aises de 14-18" by Michel BONNEAU - Arc en Ciel.
It seems that the "Etoile Noëliste" was a kind of newspaper launched by Bayard in 1914 for children : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_Bayard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this will help

Stephane Bone
http://vignettesdelandre.free.fr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

hatter wrote:Mac I can't find much on this subject, apart from this picture of Lord Roberts the Sponsor / founder / patron ( ?) of the Lord Roberts Memorial Workshops

so this will bump the topic back into visibility,

The Lord Roberts Memorial Fund Stamp album
https://www.worldwar1postcards.com/the-lord-roberts-memorial-stamp-album.php

The Lord Roberts Memorial Fund Stamp Album

Tony Allen

The card shown below is not postally used and was found between the pages of a volume titled, “THE LORD ROBERTS MEMORIAL FUND STAMP ALBUM”, which was originally given to ’Peter Binnall' by his 'Grandpa’ in June 19l6.
WWI “The Lord Roberts Memorial Fund for Disabled Soldiers and sailors.” postcard
This buff-coloured card has a plain back, and the text on the front of it was printed in brown ink. A caption in small type down the left hand side of it reads, “The Lord Roberts Memorial Fund for Disabled Soldiers and sailors.”

An attractive and brightly coloured poster stamp of the “Prince of Wales” sits comfortably in a double lined box. The legend in the postage stamp ’box’ invited people to “Use these postcards and help the Fund “. Today, a postally used example would be quite a scarce item.

The idea for the Fund originated in December 1908, when the Daily Telegraph celebrated its half centenary, by holding a dinner for 700 Crimean and Indian mutiny veterans in the Albert Hall. One of the guest speakers there was a much loved and highly decorated soldier, Lord Roberts VC. After paying tribute to the regiments in which they had served, he walked among the veterans and was distressed to learn that many of them were now living in poverty.

Lord Roberts immediately launched an appeal to help them and within seven days £11,500 had been raised, within twelve months £38,000 had been donated. (£1,500,000 today). The money raised, assisted over 800 ex-soldiers many of whom were “Taken from the workhouse and enabled to end their lives in dignity and modest comfort.” The Fund was looked after by The Soldiers and Sailors Help Society and was intended to expire on the death of the last survivor of the Crimea and Mutiny campaigns.

In June l914, the trustees of the Fund met for the last time. Lord Roberts was there, and later remarked to a colleague - Miss Acton, that he thought “ a European war was imminent and hoped the Society would expand greatly to deal with the casualties that were bound to come.” Sadly, five months later Lord Roberts' death was announced and Miss Action remembered his words, particularly as Britain was now at war with Germany.

She reported her conversion with Roberts to her boss Lord Cheylesmore, the chairman of the Help Society. As a result The Lord Roberts Memorial Fund was launched and soon £500,000 was raised which enabled the first workshop for disabled soldiers to be opened in Fulham in 1915.

Many were the methods used for raising money for the Fund, not least, was that of selling specially printed cards on which could be fixed a special ’War stamp' and an album was also produced in which a complete collection of ’war stamps' could be placed.
The Lord Roberts Memorial Fund Stamp Album

LORD ROBERTS MEMORIAL FUND STAMP ALBUM

Fawcett and Company of the Strand, London who published the album and stamps, produced a number of leaflets and magazine inserts to advertise them.
The “Specially prepared Albums” and 144 “War Portrait Stamps” and a set of 144 “Biographical Notes” were available from various retail outlets or direct from ’FAWCETT & CO, l25 STRAND, LONDON, W.C.’. The albums were available in three ’coverings’, “Red Cloth” price 1/6d., “Khaki, Cloth Gilt”, price 2/6d. and “Royal Blue and Gold” at 5/-. It consisted of 48 pages, and on each right-hand page were ’spaces' for one, two three or four ’War Portrait Stamps’. Each page had a decorative border the design of which depended on the number of printed ’spaces’ thereon.

Any stamp could be placed anywhere in the album - as there were no printed ’celebrity’ captions below the boxes. The left-hand pages were left blank, here the collector would place the biographical notes, to correspond with the celebrities portrayed opposite.

The sheets of War Portrait Stamps were gummed and perforated and were 2½”x1⅞” in size and issued in twelve sheets of twelve stamps to a sheet. Single stamps cost 1d. each, while ”Sheets of twelve all different were 1/-“, or alternatively you could buy the “complete set, 144 portraits 12/-“.

All the stamps were attractive designs and printed in brilliant colours, and although all the decorative borders were different, the design of the ’Prince of Wales' stamp was typical. The subjects included British and Allied Royalty, military and naval leaders, statesmen and church leaders. Edith Cavell and several Victoria Cross winners were also represented.

The 144 biographical notes, again gummed and perforated and issued in twelve sheets of twelve labels, were priced 1/6d. for the complete set. The biography of each celebrity was about 70 words in length. In 1916, Peter placed the stamp of Lord Roberts in the only ’box’ on the first page of his album. The corresponding biography starts thus, “LORD ROBERTS was perhaps the most beloved solider of all time” and ends, 'Died in France after visiting troops Nov. 14. 1914.”
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Re: Lord Roberts World War I Charity Stamp Labels Discussion

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Somewhere I have this Lord Roberts album virtually complete. I’ll look for it on the weekend and and post up some pages.

I note the comment in one of the posts above that the rear of each page had a space for details of the stamps on the next page which makes sense. As I recall, my album has the details of the stamps on the preceding page for some reason.

One stamp I did like was of Captain Glossop of HMAS Sydney which sunk the German light cruiser Emden off the Cocos Keeling Islands.

Apart from that there are the Kings, Queens, Generals, etc. of the Empire and VC’s galore. A hugely historic collection all in one album.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Cullen
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Cullen »

There's a handy booklet with all the information you could ever want about these Labels.

Cullen

Not Bruce
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Not Bruce »

There are a significant number of the first and second series shown on my old website here...

http://www.ibredguy.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=71290

I would add more but unfortunately the old software running the website has got dementia, so I can't upload anything new...
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com

Flyboxfan
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Flyboxfan »

Another interest listing. Lets hope more people add to it.

Cullen

Post by Cullen »

I hope that you'll forgive a slight digression into another Charity that Lord Roberts VC established at the start of WW1 when he led an appeal for field glasses.

Here is a letter, apparently signed by him, acknowledging receipt of a pair of field glasses.

After his death in November 1914 his widow nominally chaired the Fund. The next letter is from the Fund manager in response to an inquiry from the donor above who wanted his glasses back at the end of the War.

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

I can’t seem to find my Lord Roberts album in the rubble here but here are some of my scans from that album posted in a WW1 topic here back in 2015:

Image Image

ImageImage

ImageImage
Tony

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

And here is the Captain Glossop cinder I mentioned in a post above:

ImageImage

P.S. I see the writer mentions total “British”casualties. What, hadn’t he heard of Federation :roll:
Tony

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”