A selection of British Authors' book royalty stamps

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

adam78
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

A selection of British Authors' book royalty stamps

Post by adam78 »

More Jim Brodie collection material, this time for R.L. Stevenson copyright stamps representing the 10% royalty for authors on books. To date, only stamps from Stevenson, and Jarrolds (for Anna Sewell's Black Beauty) have been sighted.

A page of assorted values. Jim had the dates of use wrong, they actually started in 1925, but did end in 1944 when the copyright expired (Stevenson having died in 1894)

Typical usage on the back flyleaf.

Copy of a publisher's order form.

adam78

Re: Authors' book royalty stamps

Post by adam78 »

Jarrolds purchased the copyright to Black Beauty from Sewell for £40 in 1877, a year before she died. The copyright expired in 1928.

Just two stamps of this design are so far known, the other being a 3d value. A single 1 4/5d in a different design has also been sighted, making Jarrold stamps among the scarcest copyright stamps.

Info re any others much appreciated.

Adam.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Great stuff ,.. have never ever, sighted examples of these!

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

AKPhilately
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by AKPhilately »

I received an email from a book seller yesterday asking me about these Stevenson copyright stamps. I had never seen them before or even heard of them, so it's great to see them here in this topic.

The seller has a Stevenson book with stamp and was wondering whether the inclusion of such a stamp in the book would make the book much more valuable. I obviously haven't got a clue, but what do you think? Are they very rare, and would they enhance the value of the book much? How much? And would they be classed as cinderella or would they be proper revenue stamps? If so are they listed in Barefoot or any other revenue catalogue?

Here's a link to a bit of history on the Stevenson stamps.
http://www.stampboards.com/images/78rpm/mechcopy/gallery/rls.htm

Fascinating stuff this!

adam78

Post by adam78 »

AKPhilately wrote:The seller has a Stevenson book with stamp and was wondering whether the inclusion of such a stamp in the book would make the book much more valuable. I obviously haven't got a clue, but what do you think? Are they very rare, and would they enhance the value of the book much? How much? And would they be classed as cinderella or would they be proper revenue stamps? If so are they listed in Barefoot or any other revenue catalogue?

Most are very rare by normal philatelic measures (e.g less than 10 copies recorded). With RLS, most met with fall into a small subset of the total number of values known, namely 2 2/5d, 3d, 4 1/5d being respectively 10% royalty due on books priced at the standard values of 2s, 2/6d & 3/6d.

Outside these core values, the frequency falls away rapidly.

However, as demand is low so the value remains low and unlikely to affect the price of an RLS book. Where I've bought a book for the stamp I've paid NZ$3-5 normally, with the odd one at $10 if it's not one of the commoner values.

To put things in perspective re Rarity vs Value, the Jarrolds 1 3/5d illustrated further up this thread, being the only recorded copy, and from an issuer where about 3-4 stamps in total are so far recorded, sold for $50. I'm not sure things will change, but I'm also not bothered - I don't collect them with the aim of funding my retirement, I collect them because they are really quite interesting.
AKPhilately wrote:And would they be classed as cinderella or would they be proper revenue stamps? If so are they listed in Barefoot or any other revenue catalogue?
Elsewhere in another thread http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2972 I've noted that they are Revenues - "issued under the authority of a state" (namely the various Copyright Acts & Regulations defining the use of stamps), even in privately produced and the fee not going to that same state. Barefoot doesn't list them, but my catalogue does.

Cheers

Adam.

AKPhilately

Post by AKPhilately »

Thanks for that! I've passed on the info to the bookseller who has now mentioned the existence of the stamp in the book in the write up but has not altered the price.

translateltd
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by translateltd »

We have a (part?) set of eight Stevenson books in a pocket format (155 x 105 mm), leather bound, RLS signature in gold on the front cover, speckled front and end papers, published by "British Books Ltd, London", and each containing a 6d copyright stamp on the inside back cover, in the bottom-left position. '

Curious that there seemed to be no mention of 6d stamps in the postings above or in the referenced site, and I could imagine the associated retail price of 5/- per book being quite dear at the time of publication.

Martin
NZ

adam78

Post by adam78 »

The 6d is reasonably common, with the 14x15 perf being commoner than the 14x13.5.

Higher values recorded include 6 3/5d, 7 1/5d, 9d, 1s 0 3/5d and 1s6d

Adam.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Jarrolds 1920s items in close-up.

1 4/5d

Retroreveal shows the overprinted image of Black Beauty himself - animal images as overprints on revenue stamps surely very unusual!

3d in a very different design. Also known in 1 3/5d.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Started mounting up the Jarrolds and Stevenson copyright stamps, during lockdown.
Jarrolds copyright stamp c.1927
Jarrolds copyright stamp c.1927
Jarrolds copyright stamp c.1922
Jarrolds copyright stamp c.1922
Note these two values are also slightly different sizes of design.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

RL Stevenson copyright stamps title page
RL Stevenson copyright stamps title page
RL Stevenson copyright stamps order form
RL Stevenson copyright stamps order form
RL Stevenson copyright stamps usage
RL Stevenson copyright stamps usage

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

adam78 wrote:
03 Feb 2018 08:30
Jarrolds 1920s items in close-up.

1 4/5d

Retroreveal shows the overprinted image of Black Beauty himself - animal images as overprints on revenue stamps surely very unusual!

Now THAT is cool! :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

jujuboy
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: A selection of British Authors' book royalty stamps

Post by jujuboy »

Thanks for this thread, have been a stamp collector for 40 years and have never seen these!!

adam78

Post by adam78 »

First type set
First type set
Used on books
Used on books
Higher value used on book
Higher value used on book

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Here's a close-up of the Stevenson stamp to give a better view of the sunburst design.
R.L. Stevenson 2 2/5d copyright stamp
R.L. Stevenson 2 2/5d copyright stamp

benjclark
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by benjclark »

*WONDERFUL* I really regret letting one of these go in a trade in my early days of collecting. I didn't think I'd be that interested. Now, I live just down the hill from RLS's spot on the Napa/Sonoma County border. *Sigh*
Always seeking bookseller labels....Album of Book Trade Labels
Author Site: Benjamin L Clark.com PSCC #157

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”