The Spirit of Cinderella(s) stamps - show your favourites?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Princestamps
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: The Spirit of Cinderella(s) - your favourites?

Post by Princestamps »

Issue 3 - A tie in with Occusi Ambeno and Kempland - Knights Templar - 9 October 2007

Just one stamp, Rangatira means chief a version with it spelled Rangitira also exists.

Issue 4 Lenin, Statesman and Author

Released November 28 2007. The stamps are actually reversed images that appeared on the Mauritius 1970 and Hungary 1967 issues. Along with Tarajara (2005) and Kempland (2010) the only recent Lenin stamps issued.

Issue 5 - The Kings 32nd Birthday - Released April 30 2008

Here Panterra photoshopped my eyes to make me look like a fiersome Maori carving. I liked it, many other people didn't for some reason.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Issue 6 - Lighthouses - Whare Raiti February 20 2009

Issued at the same time Occusi Ambeno and Kempland along with Chyan also issued Lighthouse themed issues.

There was a break of 2 years before the next issue

Issue 7 - Prime Minister Lawrie Walker - Yes the "bear" on the $2 stamp of 2007.

Released April 1 2011 on his actual 70th birthday. The set also saw the first issue of our postmark as shown below.

Dead image link deleted by moderator

Photo shows later stamps. And every piece of Taniquah mail since then comes with this postmark on it.

The latest two sets - Dynasty and Cats are already up. I will try and find sheets and upload them tomorrow, Panterra please don't I want to do this.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Princestamps wrote:Issue 4 Lenin, Statesman and Author

Released November 28 2007. The stamps are actually reversed images that appeared on the Mauritius 1970 and Hungary 1967 issues. Along with Tarajara (2005) and Kempland (2010) the only recent Lenin stamps issued.
I think you've got a rare error there - the words "Mass Murderer" are inexplicably omitted after "Statesman and Author" :lol:

Panterra
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Panterra »

^ but doesn't that description apply to ALL rulers of countries?

(I cannot think of a single ruler with guilt-free hands. Oops, possibly Helen Clark? :lol: )

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

The Minisheets of the Issues.

These sheets usually had extra comments on the selvedges and are quite collectable in their own right. Image shows the Prince and Bears sheets of mid 2007. Also the Knights Templar sheetlet which was just the same stamp 10 times! Note the tete beche pairs

2nd image shows the Birthday and Lenin sheetlets of late 2007 and 2008. Yes Gavin H, Lenin had some blood on his hands, but he also had some great theories and he is revered by the Taniquans. We have no time for the real monsters like Mao and Stalin though.

3rd image is of the 2009 Lighthouse issue and 2011 Lawrie Walker issue, by now the Tete Beche pair gimmick was no longer being used.

Last edited by Princestamps on 14 Jun 2013 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

The final set of sheets features the 2012 Dynasty set with my real ancestors on it. The 10h is me, the next 10h my biological father, the 2 50h show a great great uncle and a 3rd cousin twice removed.

The $1 is my 3 greats grandfather Utiku Potaka (A true chief) and $2 is his father Tapui Pehitane Potaka. He lived from approx 1790 to 1885, the picture is 1870s and his facial tattoo (Moko) is real.

This is a CTO copy. Other sheet is the current cats issue, 50h is Tequila my Maine Coon cat and 70h is Panterra's cat - Panterra and of course the high values feature a pair of sphynx cats
owned by my friend Mark.

Next up are two unique first day covers of the Prince set (2007) and Lighthouses (2009) both are drawn on postmarks and were recancelled in 2012 on their 5th and 3rd anniversaries.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Proper First day covers cancelled with real postmarks arrived with the LKawrie Walker issue, but as they all sold out I have none to show you. Instead I have a Cats (2013) cover with Taniquah and NZ Post cancels from April 30th, the King's birthday. Also shown is a cover for the 2012 Dynasty set released March 12th 2012.

Both covers feature designs by the State Printer of Occusi Ambeno who have a supply and trade agreement with the Taniquan Postal Authority.

Finally the dynasty series gave a series of once off covers featuring two that were also cancelled by the Samoans in Apia as part of a cross cultural set, antique stamps were used. As per Tnaiquan law, the Taniquan stamps could not be cancelled until March 12th the release day.

Also there is a scarce moruning cover issued by the King on the day of King Siaosi Tupou V's death in Tonga. This cover features black overprint and border on a single 10h of King Utiku IV. To symbolise Polynesian kingship solidarity.

As one can pick up, Taniquans speak Te Reo Maori that is very similar to New Zealand Maori and this language is used a lot on the stamps besides English and occasionally Bahasa Occussi on the tabs of sheets. The language on the Samoa covers also includes Samoan

Sanikalele is Samoan for Taniquah.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Here is the elusive Lawrie Walker Birthday FDC, I think this was the first time Taniquah had an embossed-gold cover.

Taniquah 2011 Birthday of the Rt Hon Mr Lawrie Walker set on FDC.

Note that this cover has the scarce and seldom-seen "A-class" postmark.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Thank you Panterra

I am thinking of doing a catalogue of Taniquahs past 6 years of issuing.

member389845
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by member389845 »

Princestamps ;
Can you send me your email address directly in order that I can send you a copy of the Taniquah entry which will eventually appear in one of my catalogues.
Ralph
phillipo@012.net.il

member389845

Post by member389845 »

The sheet you show of the Knight Templar differs from the single stamp you had previously posted.
1. the name of Taniquah does not appear
2. the Taniquah currency of 60h does not appear.
Explanation please.
Ralph

Night Watchman
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Night Watchman »

I collect 'Cricket on Stamps'.
In my pursuit of cricket cinderellas and poster stamps, I have accumulated the above 'stamps' on Soccer :!:
These are mostly from 1900-1920.
Go Socceroos :!:
Noel Almeida, Night Watchman, Australia Down Under.
Author: Overseas Mailers of New York FDCs of Australia.
Author: Australian Post Office Souvenir Covers.
Author: Test Cricket Centenary 1977 Philatelic Covers.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

member389845 wrote:The sheet you show of the Knight Templar differs from the single stamp you had previously posted.
1. the name of Taniquah does not appear
2. the Taniquah currency of 60h does not appear.
Explanation please.
Ralph

Sorry I scanned the wrong sheet, I only made a very small number of MS for that issue which was an afterthought. No actual sheets of the Taniquah one survive, unless Panterra has some.

There were three types, that one (General Labels not assigned to any entity), Kempland and Taniquah.

You do have a copy of what the single looked like.

Its just I don't have a scanner and rely on a camera and then I have upload to Photobucket, resize them and all the rest and its very time consuming process.

The sheet scanned was actually a generic sample provided to me, but I do find you attitude a bit confrontational. It was a simple mistake, I am a human, please get over it.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Finally a scan of the Taniquah Knights Templar sheet.

The sheet shows the 10 stamps and the surrounding words in English, although the stamps are in Maori.

The two versions of the stamp, show the error on left, Rangtira instead of Rangatira (Chief). The error is slightly more scarce than the corrected version. Both stamps also have an error with the words Kia Kahe (Have strength) should be Kia Kaha.

This was one of the Occussi Ambenos earliest jobs for Taniquah and their understanding of the Maori language spoken in Taniquah was only just emerging.

member389845

Post by member389845 »

"The sheet scanned was actually a generic sample provided to me, but I do find you attitude a bit confrontational. It was a simple mistake, I am a human, please get over it."

I certainly didn't wish to offend you and if I did so I would like to apologise. I was just trying to bring to your attention that you had made a "simple" error in the material you send me.

Once again sorry.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Occusi Ambeno must have been accepted by the UPU, this letter reached me without any NZ Post meddling on its way to Taniquah.

Taniquah's Post Marks are no longer attacked by NZ Post either!!

member389845

Post by member389845 »

Talking about Occussi Ambeno, do you have copies of all the stamps issued from there in the last few years?
I am missing most of the recent ones and need to obtain the missing scans.
If you wish I can send you a copy of the material I have so far in order for you to assist me in my task.
Thanks
Ralph

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

member389845 wrote:Talking about Occussi Ambeno, do you have copies of all the stamps issued from there in the last few years?
I am missing most of the recent ones and need to obtain the missing scans.
If you wish I can send you a copy of the material I have so far in order for you to assist me in my task.
Thanks
Ralph

Ralph its better for you to ask Panterra, as I only have a few and not a scanner. I have to take photos, compress then and upload them to Photobucket, its a long process.

mmehr2
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by mmehr2 »

Hi all,

Is anyone here interested in and/or collecting the issues of the Hawai'i Post local courier service in Honolulu? I find them really fascinating (Surfboard Mail!) and would love to find out more, or if there is a source for the out-of-print items from 2000. Here's a link to where you can see the stamps and where they're currently sold:
http://www.hawaii-post.com/index.html
They come out with a new issue approximately monthly, a few a year in booklets. Almost all subjects are relevant to local Hawai'ians (not 100% consistent though).

I'm hoping to post an image of one as my avatar too, but Photobucket is balking me (it blocks all attempted passwords I choose, even when they follow the rules - 2 digits, 3 lower case, 3 upper). If they resolve the issue then I'll be poised to post some pics, but the link should suffice for the curious until then.

Tie-in of interest: the same printer (Hawai'i Security Printers) did the stamps for Lord Howe Island Courier Post, and they still sell some of those issues there. You can see the similarities.

Best regards,
Mike
Mountain View, California, USA

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

honza wrote:Ahoj again!

This is a local Prague cover with three cinderellas on the back, each individually numbered. I am guessing they are actresses from La Belle Epoque. Can anyone confirm that?

FRANCISKA GIZELLA

BORISKA BELLA

ETELKA EMMA

I wonder why they were individually numbered.

Cheers,

Honza

These are interesting, it would be interesting to see what happened to these women after World War One as they date from the very start. They look very with it for 1914 (Almost a transisition between the 1900s Gibson Girl and the 1920s Jazz Flapper).

Be interesting to see if they coped with the Wars, between them and then of course under Communism as old ladies. The names suggest they could be Locals or even Jewish, but the letter is from the time of Austria Hungary, when things may have been more liberal than say Russian or German domination later). The date is 30 May 1914, just 9 weeks before the war began.

My guess is they were chorus girls, actresses or young ladies wishing to put their names out there in the theatrical trade. There must be more in this series of Cinderellas and these must be pretty rare. My guess is most went ourt on theatre based mail including bills and promotional mail outs for Etelka and Boriska's latest show.

Just think how many may have been tossed in the rubbish and forgotten, yet somewhere they may even be unused sheets of these actress labels some where. The numbers suggest several thousands of them were printed, and even then a good chance they were destroyed during a war or by the Nazis/Communists as being decadent.

I just think they are a beautiful piece of art noveau Czech culture in the style and period of Alphons Mucha etc.

europhil
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by europhil »

Something in the back of mind is telling me that I've seen these
before, maybe in a book or an article. I'm also thinking that these
were produced in Hungary.

member389845

Post by member389845 »

Is anyone here interested in and/or collecting the issues of the Hawai'i Post local courier service in Honolulu? I find them really fascinating (Surfboard Mail!) and would love to find out more, or if there is a source for the out-of-print items from 2000. Here's a link to where you can see the stamps and where they're currently sold:
http://www.hawaii-post.com/index.html

I have them all listed in my US & Canada Modern Locals CD Catalogue.

mmehr2

Post by mmehr2 »

Thanks, Ralph. I just got myself a copy and it's very nicely done. Must be a lot of work to maintain such a big catalog, but the HP chapter is up to date as of last month. Can't see Scott ever being able to do that!
Kudos on a job well done.
Cheers,
Mike

mmehr2

Post by mmehr2 »

Another question, Ralph. Would you be interested in any feedback on the Hawai'i Post chapter of your catalog? Specifically, I've spotted some errors in the catalog, and can yet you know about them if you haven't already heard of them. I was hoping to send this by email via SB, but it seems like I can't do that, so I'm posting here for now.
Regards, and happy collecting,
Mike

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

europhil wrote:Something in the back of mind is telling me that I've seen these
hi jay,

Yes, I've seen labels like these in a posting a year or two back and Hungary sounds familiar.

Their names certainly appear to be in Hungarian order, family name then first name.

I think they might have been lottery tickets or something similar.
Nigel

nigelc

Post by nigelc »

nigelc wrote:
europhil wrote:Something in the back of mind is telling me that I've seen these
hi jay,

Yes, I've seen labels like these in a posting a year or two back and Hungary sounds familiar.

Their names certainly appear to be in Hungarian order, family name then first name.

Here's an older topic with similar designs:
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18012&p=644739
Nigel

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

nigelc wrote:
europhil wrote:
Something in the back of mind is telling me that I've seen these before, maybe in a book or an article. I'm also thinking that these were produced in Hungary.
Hi jay,

Yes that sounds very likely to me. :)

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Thanks Princestamps, Jay, Nigel & Glen!

I had missed the responses until today.

Cheers,

Honza

rsah6426
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by rsah6426 »

Here is an Italian Cinderella with "Anno XVII" & "Anno 1939" markings ...

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj rsah6426!

I suppose you know, but for those who don't. ANNO XVII = Year 17.

Mussolini & the Italian Fascists started a new calendar dating from 1922 and their march on Rome.

Your stamp looks quite official with "Italian Colonies" and the King's head, so is it not some sort of fiscal rather than a cinderella?

Cheers,

Honza

rsah6426

Post by rsah6426 »

Hi Honza
Thanks for clarifying, I thought this Italian stamp could be called Cinderella because of the ANNO XVII markings.

Can these Japanese stamps can be classified as Cinderellas ? These are certification seals for the Tosa Paper Goods Association.

Franzjoseph
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Franzjoseph »

honza wrote:I suppose you know, but for those who don't. ANNO XVII = Year 17.

Mussolini & the Italian Fascists started a new calendar dating from 1922 and their march on Rome.

Your stamp looks quite official with "Italian Colonies" and the King's head, so is it not some sort of fiscal rather than a cinderella?
Honza is right saying that it is not a Cinderella but a fiscal stamp, used in the Italian Colonies in Africa. And is almost right in the rest: ANNO XVII is not Year 17 but Year 17th. Indeed the Roman numbers in Italian (and in English too) have have ordinal value not numeral; as an example consider as in English Queen Elizabeth the Second is indicated: Queen Elizabeth II and so are King Edward VIII, King George V and King George VI and so on.

The fascist calendar just numbered the years of the so called Era Fascista which started on the 28th of October 1922 and were usually indicated as "Anno YZ E.F." were YZ could be any Roman number from I (1st) to XXI (21st): year XXII (22nd) never started as fascist government ended on the 25th of July 1943, with the fall and arrest of Mussolini, and year XXII would have started only on the 28th of October of that year.

Postmarks manufactured in the late Thirties anyway had already the provision to indicate Fascist years over XXI and such indications can be found in postmarks used in the German occupied area of Italy, where a Fascist Government was reinstalled after the "liberation" of Mussolini from his imprisonment by a German parachutists commando.

The fact that the fascist year did not start on the first of January means that each calendar year was covered by portions of two different fascist years: the fact that the fiscal shown by rsah6426 is dated 1939 and Year XVII indicates that the full date of the cancellation was before the 28th of October 1939, otherwise it would have been Year XVIII.
Michele

kushti
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by kushti »

I think this could be classed as a cinderella, even though it gets catalogue listing, as it is more label than stamp, with no denomination.

The Boer commandos in the Anglo-Boer war received free franking privileges if they marked their letters 'in dienst' (on service), but because of abuse of this privilege were issued with these labels, known as commando briefs.

They are moderately valuable, especially on cover, and highly sought after, (they were only in use for a few months) and the market is awash with forgeries. This is real one.

john_udt
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by john_udt »

Few MOUNT EVEREST EXPEDITION - 1924 labels and post cards .

DIFFERENT SIZES OF LABELS

ALSO A PAIR WITH A FLAW

Hope you like them !

Regards,
John

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

The Maori kingdom of Taniquah has just released its new stamp issues.

The new definitive shows the new flag and coat of arms.

There is also a miniature sheet with two complete sets.

They have updated their website too!

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Free Vinland 2015 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill's demise.

The Free Vinland Republic issued this attractive set mourning the loss of Winny on 22nd September 2015.

Their full catalogue of stamps can be viewed on the official FVR website: Free Vinland :)

norvic

Post by norvic »

I had a mailshot today from Free Vinland Republic Information Service about 'stamps' issued back in September for Sir Winston Churchill.

This was actual mail, not email, with a return address of PO Box 78-104 Grey Lynn, NZ 1245, but it was posted in the UK. Sadly because the stamp used was over 15 years old, the mailsorting machinery didn't recognise it so it only got wavy lines and no placename.

Whilst the 'stamps' look to be well produced, the website is poor, and lists stamps only to 2005.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

You are looking at the olde website, Ian.

The new one is here: Free Vinland :)

And this one DOES have details of all stamps right up to 2015.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Panterra wrote:You are looking at the olde website, Ian.

The new one is here: Free Vinland :)

And this one DOES have details of all stamps right up to 2015.
Well, ye olde website is (a) still there & (b) comes top on a Google search. It should be taken down or there should be an auto redirect to the new.

Not that I have any interest in the tat that is being peddled from this imaginary 'state'.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Reposting some "lost" images from 2010.

Non-philatelic Exhibition cinderellas

Paris 1925

Irish International 1907

Liege 1905

Geneva 1896

Franco-British

Como 1899

Scottish Glasgow 1911

Engineering 1955 and Empire 1938

Bruxelles 1897

MJK_58
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by MJK_58 »

This is my favourite cinderella from my polio collection. Its a fund raiser for the Infantile Paralysis After-care Fund of Victoria from 1937 and is large at 19.4 x 11.3 cm. I have attached a copy the newspaper article from the time as well.

Image Image
Collecting -- Rotary & Polio stamps and postal history - - Polio, Rotary & "Crippled Children" seals - Australian TB seals

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

MJK_58 wrote:This is my favourite cinderella from my polio collection. Its a fund raiser for the Infantile Paralysis After-care Fund of Victoria from 1937 and is large at 19.4 x 11.3 cm. I have attached a copy the newspaper article from the time as well.

Image Image
Amazing item - never seen that before. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Elkra
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: The Spirit of Cinderella(s) stamps - show your favourite

Post by Elkra »

South Africa : Prevent TB in Children 1987 (1)

Last edited by Elkra on 27 Oct 2018 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
John
Interests: Ireland - Luxembourg - Christmas/Rugby/Racehorses on Stamps.

Elkra

Post by Elkra »

South Africa : Prevent TB in Children 1987 (2)

John

Elkra

Post by Elkra »

Germany : Munich Beer Festival

John

Silhat

Post by Silhat »

Hello.

I don't know if those ones could be considered as cinderellas ? I can't remember how I get them, I have more of them... somewhere :lol:

Elkra

Post by Elkra »

Ireland : 1867 Fenians

Essay/Forerunner/Cinderellas ?
Those above are copies/reprints.

These Essays (?) did however re-surface in the design of the 1967 Fenian Centenary Issue
John

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Poster stamps of some early record companies.

Berolina - German, c.1913

cursus

Post by cursus »

A modern (December 2017) Catalan Independence Movement cinderella. It shows the December 7th, 2017 Brussels (Belgium)demonstration.

I collect: Estonia 1990-1992 Postal History. Barcelona Postal History and postmarks. Catalan cinderellas. Botanical gardens. Ice creams on stamps. Used UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria & Scandinavia.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”