Who collects the fantasy stamps of self-declared States?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

member389845
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Who collects the Stamps of self-declared States?

Post by member389845 »

All the issues from these places like Sedang, Taniquah, Kemp Land, Chyan etc, need cataloguing, but unfortunately there is not enough information around regarding them.
Ralph

LHJ
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by LHJ »

member389845 wrote:All the issues from these places like Sedang, Taniquah, Kemp Land, Chyan etc, need cataloguing, but unfortunately there is not enough information around regarding them.
Ralph
Why do you say that? Do some basic research and author a catalog, that is what philately is all about. It is supposed to be challenging. I see what you are proposing as a rather easy task compared to say reconstructing a sheet of Penny Blacks.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

member389845 wrote:All the issues from these places like Sedang, Taniquah, Kemp Land, Chyan etc, need cataloguing, but unfortunately there is not enough information around regarding them.
Ralph
Does anybody else on Stampboards think that all these fantasy labels need cataloguing?
Do any serious philatelists collect fantasy labels as well?
Last edited by norvic on 12 Jul 2012 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

member389845

Post by member389845 »

Ian,
If they didn't I wouldn't have produced 18 CD Catalogues until now, whilst i am already working on 2 more.
I can understand that a stamp shop owner would think that unofficial stamps are beneath his dignity, but believe it or not there are a lot of people would enjoy collecting this type of material. If you don't believe me, just go to ebay or bidstart.
Ralph

norvic

Post by norvic »

I should have used better wording in my question (now edited).

I don't think dignity comes into it, and I don't even know anybody who owns a stamp shop.

I've seen some fantasy labels being offered on eBay but I keep forgetting to find out if anybody is buying them.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Panterra
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Panterra »

CHYAN 2005 Fire trucks set.
I'm sure if we all keep posting images of our favorite Fifth World stamps here, eventually all will be revealed.

There are some good printed catalogues of Kemp Land and Occussi-Ambeno available here:
https://lancaster.orconhosting.net.nz

The editions of those catalogues on sale now are a few years outdated, but I believe revised updates are due this year.

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

norvic wrote:
Ralph
Does anybody else on Stampboards think that all these fantasy labels need cataloguing?
Do any serious philatelists collect fantasy labels as well?
Exactly what sort of info do your catalogs contain?

member389845

Post by member389845 »

Ian,
1. Date (at least year) of issue
2. Description of Issue
3. Scan of stamp/s
4. Listing of values
5. Description of each stamp / or if none available colour.
Send me your email off line, and I'll send you a couple of pages for an example.
Ralph

norvic

Post by norvic »

That wasn't me, that was LHJ.

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

member389845 wrote:Ian,
1. Date (at least year) of issue
2. Description of Issue
3. Scan of stamp/s
4. Listing of values
Send me your email off line, and I'll send you a couple of pages for an example.
Ralph
Wouldn't that be improved with actual editorial information on the issuing entity and the circumstances of the issue. Otherwise it is just sort of a list with scans? So for example, if you were to cover the Tibet government in exile, some background on that entity and the various issues.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Since you mention the Tibet Govt in Exile (at Dharmsala, India), let me show what is probably their best issue:
Tibet 1974 Universal Postal Union set.
Australian dealer Nelson Eustis was heavily involved in these, and printing was by a big stamp-printer in UK.

The Indian Post Office accepted them as valid on mail, and they were used for quite a while until the fiendish Chinese protested, so the Indian Post asked the Tibetans to cease their issue.

member389845

Post by member389845 »

LHJ,
Unless you have seen any of my catalogues, in which I ask my buyers for additional information, additions, corrections etc. I don't think that it quite time for you to already criticising my catalogues.
Ralph

norvic

Post by norvic »

member389845 wrote:LHJ,
Unless you have seen any of my catalogues, in which I ask my buyers for additional information, additions, corrections etc. I don't think that it quite time for you to already criticising my catalogues.
Ralph
Ooo, touchy. I thought the same - at least a brief statement of the 'what when and where' of the micronation would be useful, just as SG puts a very short piece about each stamp-issuing country in its catalogues.

member389845

Post by member389845 »

As I've previously stated to you both -
how do you know that this is not there?

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

member389845 wrote:As I've previously stated to you both -
how do you know that this is not there?
Post a scan or jpg of a sample page of your best. let's see if you are Michel catalog of the micronations or not.

norvic

Post by norvic »

We don't, but you didn't say that it was when asked. :roll:
member389845 wrote:1. Date (at least year) of issue
2. Description of Issue
3. Scan of stamp/s
4. Listing of values

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

Panterra wrote:Since you mention the Tibet Govt in Exile (at Dharmsala, India), let me show what is probably their best issue:
Tibet 1974 Universal Postal Union set.
Australian dealer Nelson Eustis was heavily involved in these, and printing was by a big stamp-printer in UK.

The Indian Post Office accepted them as valid on mail, and they were used for quite a while until the fiendish Chinese protested, so the Indian Post asked the Tibetans to cease their issue.
Tibet at Dharamshala is likely the best example of a traditional government in exile still in existence. The only hurdle is that not a single country has recognized it thus denying it legitimacy. In addition to PRC's occupation, Republic of China (ROC) also still claims Tibet, Mongolia, Touva.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Moderator Comment:

Come on, girls and boys, play nicely :!:

member389845 - it would be a good idea to scan a few sample pages up here so others can see the quality :idea:

It would also be a good idea for other members to wait until they can see the product, then provide helpful comments / critiques. :idea: :idea: :idea:

member389845

Post by member389845 »

Thank you for your comments. As I already explained I haven't yet learned how to upload pages with the scans of the stamps.
In the meanwhile I have already sent Ian (Norvic)a direct email with the material of one of my "British islands".
If anyone else is interested in receiving an example please contact me at phillipo[at]012.net.il.
Ralph

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

For those collectors interested in the history of Judaism and the Nazi era in Germany, Kemp Land has just released an intriguing issue, celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference. This is a topic that few if any other lands will bother touching, imho. :shock:
Kemp Land 2017 75th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference: a set of four commemorative stamps.
Trademe website wrote:The Wannsee Conference was a meeting of senior government officials of Nazi Germany and SS leaders, held in a villa (60c stamp) in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee on 20 January 1942.

The purpose of the conference, called by the director of the Reich Main Security Office Reinhard Heydrich ($1.35 stamp), was to ensure the cooperation of administrative leaders of various government departments in the implementation of the Final Solution to the Jewish question, whereby most of the Jews of German-occupied Europe would be deported to Poland and murdered. At Wannsee, Heydrich emphasized that once the mass deportation was complete, the SS would take complete charge of the exterminations. A secondary goal was to arrive at a definition of who was formally Jewish and thus determine the scope of the genocide.

One copy of the minutes of the conference survived the war. It was found by Robert Kempner in March 1947 among files from the German Foreign Office. It was used as evidence in the Nuremberg Trials.

The
45c shows Vidkun Quisling, CBE (1887 – 1945), a Norwegian military officer and politician who nominally headed the government of Norway after the country was occupied by Nazi Germany during World War II. He had previously collaborated with the British, and was awarded the Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for his services to Britain. His name has now become a synonym for a person who callously and traitorously works for an enemy of his country.

The
5c shows some of the inmates of Auschwitz Concentration Camp, set up by the Third Reich to imprison unwanted persons and use them as slave labour. The network of slave labour camps brought huge profits to the top German industrialists, much of which they continue to enjoy today. Auschwitz was liberated in 1945.

Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

Panterra wrote:For those collectors interested in the history of Judaism and the Nazi era in Germany, Kemp Land has just released an intriguing issue, celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference. This is a topic that few if any other lands will bother touching, imho. :shock:
No, YOU just released these CINDERELLAS.

When will you stop calling your home printed cinderellas "stamps"? And stop saying they were "issued" by the republic of this and the kingdom of that?

I asked you this a few times before, but everytime you just completely ignore it.

BTW thanks for bumping up this thread. It's even worse than I thought with your home made cinderellas.

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Wow, why get so snooty with someone who enjoys creating? All I hear is 'my shop-bought toys are so much better than your home-made ones.'

Lighten up mate, why bother getting upset, life is too short.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

I agree with Ewan, but the set shown is very tasteless, celebrating an event that lead to the gassing and attempted destruction of the Jews?

I mean really?

Gay Republic my foot, if he is trying to say this event was evil, this set proves the opposite - celebrating the Nazis and no comments on the suffering of the Jews.

One reason I do not support Pantera more is his anti semitic Holocaust denying attitudes. Nothing will ever excuse or explain the insanity that ruled Germany in the 1933 - 1945 era. It is sadly about to be repeated now with another hyper racist and bigotted madman in control.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Princestamps wrote:I agree with Ewan, but the set shown is very tasteless, celebrating an event that lead to the gassing and attempted destruction of the Jews?

I mean really?

Gay Republic my foot, if he is trying to say this event was evil, this set proves the opposite - celebrating the Nazis and no comments on the suffering of the Jews.
Yes, I completely agree - when I looked at these bogus labels, I couldn't for the life of me figure out whether they were "for" or "against" the Wannsee Conference. :idea:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

gavin-h wrote: when I looked at these bogus labels, I couldn't for the life of me figure out whether they were "for" or "against" the Wannsee Conference. :idea:
They are a very tacky opportunistic way to make 100 or so bucks I say.

Hours of artwork and production for such a small return. :roll:

Flipping burgers at Maccas, even in NZ, must pay better?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Panterra

Re: Who collects the BOGUS Stamps of self-declared States?

Post by Panterra »

No-one seems to see the Big Picture here.

Hitler (a Jew himself!) cleverly pretended to be "anti-Jewish" in order to provoke Jews to leave comfortable modern Europe, and move away to dusty, sandy desert land of Palestine, in order to create the State of Israel.

Without the pretended anti-Jewishness, Israel today would not exist. All the Jews would have stayed in Europe.

This is all explained in the book "The Transfer Agreement: The Dramatic Story of the Pact Between the Third Reich and Jewish Palestine" by Edwin Black. Please get it from your local library for a fascinating read.
Trademe website wrote:"The Transfer Agreement: The Dramatic Story of the Pact Between the Third Reich and Jewish Palestine" by Edwin Black.

First published to international acclaim in 1984, "The Transfer Agreement" stunned readers worldwide with its revelations of a pact between Zionist leaders & Hitler's Third Reich. Concluded in 1933, this controversial pact transferred 55,000 Jews and $100 million to Palestine on the condition that Zionist organizations call a halt to their economic boycott of Nazi Germany -- a potent tactic that was threatening to topple Hitler's government, then only in its first year in power. The debate over this controversial deal virtually tore apart the Jewish world in the pre-World War II era, & it remains unresolved today. Whereas the transfer agreement indeed ultimately saved lives, rescued assets, & helped lay the foundation for what would become the Jewish state in 1948, it also arguably allowed the Nazi regime to survive its first year &, over the next twelve, to plumb the depths of ethnic intolerance and implement massive genocide. With the world today confronting such morally complex issues as the compensation for slave labor during the Holocaust & the refusal of Swiss banks to return Jewish assets to their rightful heirs, the transfer agreement & the boycott that preceded it stand out as early examples of Jewish initiatives against Nazi terror. However ambiguous the choices made by the Jewish leaders in the turbulent prewar 1930s, they stand in a new and different light today. "The Transfer Agreement" is a remarkable & revelatory book that has now found its time.
In this context, the Wannsee Conference was a milestone, and an important event in the history of Judaica and Europe generally.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Panterra wrote:
Hitler (a Jew himself!)
Hmmmm. :roll:

One of the most frequently asked questions about the Holocaust and the Nazi party is whether Adolf Hitler was Jewish or had Jewish ancestors.

Though the idea may seem preposterous to some, the question seems to stem from the remote possibility that Hitler's grandfather was Jewish. Hitler's father, Alois, was registered as an illegitimate child with no father when born in 1837 and to this day Hitler's paternal grandfather is unknown.

Alois' mother, Maria Schicklgruber, is known to have worked in the home of a wealthy Jew, so there is some chance, however small, that a son in that household got Hitler's grandmother pregnant.

In 1933, the London Daily Mirror published a picture of a gravestone in a Jewish cemetery in Bucharest inscribed with some Hebrew characters and the name Adolf Hitler but it is now known that this Bucharest Hitler could not have been the Nazi leaders grandfather.

At the time, though, this picture sufficiently worried Hitler that he had the Nazi law defining Jewishness written to exclude Jesus Christ and himself.

In 2010, the British paper The Daily Telegraph reported that a study had been conducted in which saliva samples were collected from 39 of Hitler's known relatives to test their DNA origins and found, though inconclusively, that Hitler may have Jewish origins.

The paper reported: "A chromosome called Haplogroup E1b1b1 which showed up in [the Hitler] samples is rare in Western Europe and is most commonly found in the Berbers of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, as well as among Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews ... Haplogroup E1b1b1, which accounts for approximately 18 to 20 per cent of Ashkenazi and 8.6 per cent to 30 per cent of Sephardic Y-chromosomes, appears to be one of the major founding lineages of the Jewish population." Again, this study, though scientific by nature, is inconclusive.

Similar "allegations" of Jewish ancestry have been levied against Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who regularly claims that the Holocaust never happened.

Despite the claims, Adolf Hitler was not Jewish.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/was-hitler-jewish

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Panterra wrote:No-one seems to see the Big Picture here.

Hitler (a Jew himself!) cleverly pretended to be "anti-Jewish" in order to provoke Jews to leave comfortable modern Europe, and move away to dusty, sandy desert land of Palestine, in order to create the State of Israel.

Without the pretended anti-Jewishness, Israel today would not exist. All the Jews would have stayed in Europe.

This is all explained in the book "The Transfer Agreement: The Dramatic Story of the Pact Between the Third Reich and Jewish Palestine" by Edwin Black. Please get it from your local library for a fascinating read.
Trademe website wrote:"The Transfer Agreement: The Dramatic Story of the Pact Between the Third Reich and Jewish Palestine" by Edwin Black.

First published to international acclaim in 1984, "The Transfer Agreement" stunned readers worldwide with its revelations of a pact between Zionist leaders & Hitler's Third Reich. Concluded in 1933, this controversial pact transferred 55,000 Jews and $100 million to Palestine on the condition that Zionist organizations call a halt to their economic boycott of Nazi Germany -- a potent tactic that was threatening to topple Hitler's government, then only in its first year in power. The debate over this controversial deal virtually tore apart the Jewish world in the pre-World War II era, & it remains unresolved today. Whereas the transfer agreement indeed ultimately saved lives, rescued assets, & helped lay the foundation for what would become the Jewish state in 1948, it also arguably allowed the Nazi regime to survive its first year &, over the next twelve, to plumb the depths of ethnic intolerance and implement massive genocide. With the world today confronting such morally complex issues as the compensation for slave labor during the Holocaust & the refusal of Swiss banks to return Jewish assets to their rightful heirs, the transfer agreement & the boycott that preceded it stand out as early examples of Jewish initiatives against Nazi terror. However ambiguous the choices made by the Jewish leaders in the turbulent prewar 1930s, they stand in a new and different light today. "The Transfer Agreement" is a remarkable & revelatory book that has now found its time.
In this context, the Wannsee Conference was a milestone, and an important event in the history of Judaica and Europe generally.

Panterra, to me it's disgraceful to see you trivialising genocide and in such a flippant manner.

To quote your link: "The small Antarctic country of Kemp Land has issued a set of four stamps celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference."

Do you think it's funny that millions died in such brutal circumstances?
Nigel

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

Is Biafra considered a self-declared state?

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

"Funny" is not the word I would use in observing such a cleverly-played chess game.

All chess games involve the players sacrificing their pieces, but they justify this by the Big Win.

And surely the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine was an epoch-making Big Win. Now nuclear-armed, moreover! :o

A reference cited above shows that saliva DNA tests on Hitler's relatives show he DOES have Jewish genes. Curious that the source then concludes by saying "Despite the claims, Adolf Hitler was not Jewish." Those saliva tests are validated and 100% accurate: even one of my colleagues on Stampboards tried it.

For a supposed "non-Jew", Herr Schicklgruber certainly did a lot for the Jewish cause! The stamps of Israel would not exist were it not for the Holocaust.

Read the book I mentioned above. It is an eye-opener!

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Ralph
I have a sizeable file on Chyan, as I was asked to print their new issues in 1992. So I compiled a catalogue of their stamps, and sent it to President Chun Ho (in Queensland) for approval. This is the approved version.
Some Chyan stamps. Top row: the 1993 definitive set, on invisible-gum paper. Although inscribed "1992", they were issued in 1993, but using the same base plate as for the 1992 definitive. The 1992 set was printed on coloured paper with shiny gum. Row 3: the 1990 set celebrating the Republic. Row 4: the 2005 50th anniversary of the Chyan Fire Board set.
Here is the Chyan catalogue.
Chyan Post Office wrote:CHYAN STAMP CATALOGUE.

1989 (2nd March). Modernisation. Imperf.

1. 10 sen Black (train)

2. 2 Mon Black, white background(Statue of Chyan Goddess)

3. 2 Mon Black, shaded background (Statue of Chyan Goddess)

1989 (4th April). Chyan - the Old. Imperf on yellow paper.

4. 50 sen Black (houses)

5. 2 Mon Black (4-storey apartment building, Fuchuan)

6. 2.50 Mon Black (View over park, Gualing)

7. 3 Mon Black (Shopping center, Sengho)

1989 (14th April). Chyan - Today. Imperf on yellow paper.

8. 1.50M Black (Parliament House, Fuchuan)

9. 5M Black (Jet at Fuchuan International Airport)

10. 10M Black (8-storey HQ of Ministry of Culture, Fuchuan)

1990 (10th June). Oriental emblems. Printed on cream paper.

11. 1 sen Red (character Tung)

12. 5 sen Red (character Wa)

13. 15 sen Red (character Wo)

14. 25 sen Red (character Fung)

15. 35 sen Red (Yin and Yang)

16. 55 sen Red (swastika)

17. 70 sen Red (character Chung)

1990 (25th June). Celebrating the Republic. Printed on yellow or white paper. Perf 12 or imperf.

18. 30 sen Red (4 stars, from national flag)

19. 50 sen Red (National motto by Chun Ho)

20. 80 sen Red (National motto by Chun Ho)

21. 1 Mon Red (Flag & Parliament House, Fuchuan)

22. 2M Red (National emblem & flag)

1990 (15th September.) Early history of Chyan.

23. 5 sen Black (Dragon)

24. 15 sen Black (Empress Lu & Chyan flag)

1990 (1st December.) Chyanyuan Invelden commemoration.

25. 5 sen Violet (overprinted on Sonne Empire $1 definitive)

1991 (15th February.) Anti-Tobacco Campaign. Perf 10 or imperf.

26. 1 Mon Red, yellow, & black (on cream paper)

1992 (19th February.) Definitive: National Emblem. Perf 12. Coloured paper with shiny gum.

27. 15 sen Brown & silver (on orange paper)

28. 45 sen Red & silver (on pale green paper)

1992 (25th February.) Victory over the Sonnian invaders. Overprinted on National Emblem definitive in black.

29. 15 sen on #27

30. 45 sen on #28

1992 (9th March.) Royal Visit of the Sultan of Occussi-Ambeno. Definitive stamp overprinted in black.

31. 15 sen on #27

1993 (5th June.) Definitive: National Emblem. As 1992, but now printed on white paper with invisible gum. Perf 12.

32. 15 sen Green & silver

33. 30 sen Brown & red

34. 45 sen Red & sky blue

35. 60 sen Pink & brown

36. 1.35 Mon Blue & green

37. 2.25 Mon Orange & green

1993 (13th August.) ICIS Year of Fruit. Definitive stamp overprinted in red.

38. 1.35 Mon on #36

2000 (9th May.) Scuba diver & octopus. Perf 12.

39. 20 sen Multicoloured

2000 (12th July.) Doctor Who (TV science-fiction series). Perf 12.

40. 50 sen Multicoloured (action still from episode "The Seeds of Doom")

2005 (16th January.) Chief Post Office, Fuchuan. Perf 12.

41. 15 sen Multicoloured

2005 (22nd March.) 50th anniversary of the Chyan Fire Board. Perf 12.

42. 45 sen Multicoloured

43. 75 sen Multicoloured

44. 2.25 Mon Multicoloured

===================

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Panterra wrote:
A reference cited above shows that saliva DNA tests on Hitler's relatives show he DOES have Jewish genes. Curious that the source then concludes by saying "Despite the claims, Adolf Hitler was not Jewish." Those saliva tests are validated and 100% accurate
You do not get it. Just because somewhere 10 generations back in his DNA, Hitler might have had a Berber tribesman antecedent, does not make him a "jew" even to the most twisted reading it it. Berbers are not JEWISH generally!

.01% of my DNA might go back to Mongolia 500 years back, but that does not make me a Mongolian nor a Buddhist etc. :idea:

As you apparently did not read it, the report actually SAID -

The paper reported: "A chromosome called Haplogroup E1b1b1 which showed up in [the Hitler] samples is rare in Western Europe and is most commonly found in the Berbers of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, as well as among Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews ... Haplogroup E1b1b1, which accounts for approximately 18 to 20 per cent of Ashkenazi and 8.6 per cent to 30 per cent of Sephardic Y-chromosomes, appears to be one of the major founding lineages of the Jewish population." Again, this study, though scientific by nature, is inconclusive.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Panterra wrote:"Funny" is not the word I would use in observing such a cleverly-played chess game.

All chess games involve the players sacrificing their pieces, but they justify this by the Big Win.

And surely the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine was an epoch-making Big Win. Now nuclear-armed, moreover! :o

A reference cited above shows that saliva DNA tests on Hitler's relatives show he DOES have Jewish genes. Curious that the source then concludes by saying "Despite the claims, Adolf Hitler was not Jewish." Those saliva tests are validated and 100% accurate: even one of my colleagues on Stampboards tried it.

For a supposed "non-Jew", Herr Schicklgruber certainly did a lot for the Jewish cause! The stamps of Israel would not exist were it not for the Holocaust.

Read the book I mentioned above. It is an eye-opener!
I REALLY think you should be very careful about posting sentiments like these here.

Whether you really believe these things or not, or whether you're just saying this for some kind of effect, I really don't know (and frankly I don't really care...).

Whichever it is, out of respect for the millions of victims of the Holocaust and those traumatised survivors, you really should keep these views to yourself.

This is not some kind of kindergarten debate about "my choice for president's got bigger balls than yours", this is about the worst atrocities ever committed by mankind.

Please park these sentiments, and those of your previous post at the door before entering Stampboards.

Now, back to the topic, which was: "Who collects the BOGUS Stamps of self-declared States?" :idea:

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Continuing our look at Chyan, wouldn't every philatelic Therolinguist just LOVE a cover like this, in their Chyan collection? 8)

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

Britcollector wrote:Is Biafra considered a self-declared state?
Biafran stamps are desirable and legitimately postally used covers go for big prices at auction. Biafra though self declared as independent (1967-1970) was recognized by five UN member nations including Haiti and Gabon. However, to the best of my knowledge anything post 1970 masquarading as a Biaran stamp is a cinderella for the the unknowing. In the past few years there has been a resurgence in SE Nigeria by Biafran nationalists (Google - IPOB, MASSOB, Benjamin Onwuka, and Nmandi Kanu). I would put Biafra in the same category as Northern Cyprus and Abkhazia recognized by a small minority or at least one UN member state.

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

A Microstate is somebody's backyard or imaginary/delusional claim to the North Pole. A self declared state is a real sovereign country that is not recognized by the UN like Somaliland, Prednestrovian Republic, Donetsk Republic, Northern Cyprus, Tamil Elaam, former Srpska Krajina etc.

Kempland labels are microstate junk. I would also class the vernerable Hutt River the same. Microstaters often like to accord themselves grandiose titles inverse to their realms such as King, Most Serene Highness and Filed Marshall.

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

LHJ wrote:A Microstate is somebody's backyard or imaginary/delusional claim to the North Pole.
A microstate is a sovereign and internationally recognized country which has a tiny area/population such as Malta or San Marino. Imaginary states are micronations.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

Sounds like Kemp is in the market for a piece of stinky Adolf's old shin bone:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1160147/Naz-eBay-Hol ... bsite.html

LHJ

Post by LHJ »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
LHJ wrote:A Microstate is somebody's backyard or imaginary/delusional claim to the North Pole.
A microstate is a sovereign and internationally recognized country which has a tiny area/population such as Malta or San Marino. Imaginary states are micronations.
Technically correct but that does not stop them from coopting the word. Additionally, Malta, Monaco, Singapore or Dubai have economies and a footprint much larger than many nations 20 times larger rendering the micro concept outdated.

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Not really. It lets us know they are small places.

bear0001

Post by bear0001 »

I found this in my collection ;

The Independent State of Rainbow Creek was an Australian secessionist micronation active during the 1970s and 80s.

It was founded as a result of a long-running compensation dispute between a group of Victorian farmers in the town of Cowwarr, and an agency of the Victorian state government, the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission (SRWSC), and was intended as a way of publicising their cause to the wider community.

Cowwarr is located on the Thomson River in the Victorian Alps. It is sited downstream of heavily forested country, and during the winter flood season infrastructure in the area is often subject to damage by the large volume of bushland debris washed downstream.

A road bridge built over the Thomson River at Cowwarr in the late 1930s proved to be sited too close to the annual flood high-water mark, so when that structure proved an impediment to the flow of debris during a particularly violent flood in 1952, the river simply carved a new course for itself around the edge of the bridge. This "breakaway" - later named Rainbow Creek - passed through a number of privately owned farming properties. Remedial action proved ineffective, and the creek was enlarged by subsequent flooding to the size of several football fields - at the expense of the affected farmers’ lands.

Deciding to make the best of a bad situation the farmers began using water from the creek to irrigate their properties, however local and state authorities responded by serving them with levies for water use. Those affected had to pay one set of levies to the local council for land which was now underwater, because their title deeds did not show the existence of the creek, a second levy to the SRWSC for using creek waters for irrigation purposes, and a third levy to the Thomson River Improvement Trust which was supposed to prevent further erosion by the creek - which nonetheless continued to grow inexorably with each new flood. The SRWSC then constructed a weir across the river downstream of the bridge in 1954, which had the effect of funnelling even higher volumes of floodwater directly into Rainbow Creek.

By the late 1970s the creek was 8 metres (26 feet) deep and over 50 metres (164 feet) wide, and farmers had to privately fund the construction of bridges to cross from one part of their properties to the other. These were all washed away, along with crops, stock, and equipment by particularly severe flooding in 1978. The farmers of Cowwarr had long blamed government incompetence over nearly three decades for their woes, but when they were denied the right to claim compensation for loss of land, productivity and private infrastructure in 1978 they decided to take further action.

One of the worst affected properties was Yammacoona, located directly below the weir, and owned by Thomas Barnes since 1970. Barnes was a retired UK and Victorian police officer who had settled in the town some time before. He was known as a man of feisty temperament with little patience for the slow-turning wheels of government bureaucracy, and a flair for publicity.

In an attempt to gain public sympathy Barnes and around thirty other farmers decided to declare war on the state of Victoria. Signed on 19 December 1978, the Declaration was served with due pomp to a bemused Governor in Melbourne on 16 January 1979, before banks of television cameras. Some legal scuffling between Barnes and the SRWSC followed in the Victorian court system, during which minor points were won and lost on both sides, after which a government offer of loans - but not the desired compensation - was rejected by the farmer group.

Barnes meanwhile had become aware of the Hutt River Province, and seeking to emulate "Prince Leonard" took legal advice and then declared the unilateral secession of his property from the State of Victoria on 23 July 1979. He appointed himself "Governor" of the newly created Independent State of Rainbow Creek, and together with "Minister for Information" George Downing, swore allegiance to Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom as his Head of State. His secession document was lodged with the Victorian Governor, the Governor-General of Australia, Buckingham Palace and the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

Public attention was again focused on Cowwarr, and the existence of the State of Rainbow Creek ensured that Barnes remained a thorn in the side of the SRWSC and the Victorian Government for a number of years, as he issued passports, stamps, banknotes and other printed material to promote the cause of his farming community.

Ill health eventually forced Barnes to retire to Queensland in the mid 1980s, from where he has since published several books of local history and poetry. The issues that led to the Rainbow Creek secession remain unresolved.

Also have some from Hutt River , just have to find them !

bear0001
If you build it , they will come !

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

bear0001 wrote:Image

The Independent State of Rainbow Creek was an Australian secessionist micronation active during the 1970s and 80s.

. . .
Barnes meanwhile had become aware of the Hutt River Province, and seeking to emulate "Prince Leonard" took legal advice and then declared the unilateral secession of his property from the State of Victoria on 23 July 1979. . . .
Is anybody able to publish a full catalogue of the stamps of Rainbow Creek and Hutt River Principality, similar to that of Chyan shown earlier in this thread?

Such a catalogue would be a wonderful resource! 8)

bear0001

Post by bear0001 »

Panterra ;
There is a thread already on Stampboards for Rainbow Creek.

The history of Rainbow Creek is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_State_of_Rainbow_Creek

& for the history of the stamps this link refers to a book by Bill Hornadge.

http://www.listofmicronations.com/lomwiki/index.php/Local_Stamps_of_Australia_(book)
This link does not seem to work , Bill passed away in 2003, he published many books on Stamps and Australiana .
Maybe some in the Stampbords Fraternity may have a copy !

bear0001
If you build it , they will come !

warm

Post by warm »

Panterra wrote:Image

Continuing our look at Chyan, wouldn't every philatelic Therolinguist just LOVE a cover like this, in their Chyan collection? 8)
Panterra ;

It is good that records/catalogues are made for all issues.

Whilst fantasy state issues may not be a cup of tea for everybody - it is important that they are recorded.

The Chyan listing is good.

… and I must admit that cover does look impressive from the 'School of Zoolology' well done.

Therolinguistics - is this also a fanciful study??

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

warm wrote:
Panterra wrote:Image

Panterra ;

It is good that records/catalogues are made for all issues.

Whilst fantasy state issues may not be a cup of tea for everybody - it is important that they are recorded.

The Chyan listing is good.

… and I must admit that cover does look impressive from the 'School of Zoolology' well done.

Therolinguistics - is this also a fanciful study??
Therolinguistics is the study of the languages of wild creatures and insects. A rather exacting science, but not for everybody!

I recall the Fuchuan University made big strides in translating some archaeological writings found in an anthill. Their paper on the subject excited much admiration.

Glad you like the Chyan catalogue. I have tried to be as complete as possible, as it will be easy to record the new issues henceforth, but these older issues are seldom seen. I think I have a complete collection.

I'm still hoping that someone on Stampboards will compile a catalogue of Rainbow Creek & Hutt River Principality in a similar style, and put them up here.

bear0001 remarked above that there is already a thread on Rainbow Creek, but it is very sparse, and has NO catalogue of the issues. And that is what everyone wants! And the link to Bill Hornadge's site has died.

So if someone can compile catalogues of these lands, I urge you to put them here, in the same style as the Chyan listing above. Stampboards is now regarded as the googleable Encyclopedia of Philately on the net, so collectors seeking this info will deeply appreciate having this source to view stamps at. Until such time as Scott, Michel, & Gibbons list them, which somehow seems unlikely. Even to a keen therolinguist. :)

gullyguy
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by gullyguy »

It's intriguing how a discussion on bogus stamps can develop into one on the holocaust, and on good taste.

I think along with looking at what issues are bogus, you also need to consider them against stamp issues generated by "genuine" countries.

I purchased Nov 2016 Gibbons Stamp Monthly for a rather interesting article on "The British Expeditionary Force: 1939-40" that provides loads of information on postal marks used on BEF mail in France. Of course the magazine comes with a supplement for SG catalogues.

Among the "legitimate" catalogue issues depicted are:
a. 2 miniature sheets, but no stamps, from St Kitts commemorating Nelson Mandela- obviously of great postal use to islanders;
b. 4 stamps from South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands depicting sports, including ski-jumping and high jump - I'm sure both heavily participated in by the visiting British Antarctic survey officers - 675 stamps now issued by basically uninhabited islands; and,
c. a stamp from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo Government for 450th Birth anniversary of William Shakespeare - just as well they issued a stamp, because UK didn't bother.

So, how many of these three issue were "legitimate"? Or were they just issued to get a quid out of hapless collectors?

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

gullyguy wrote:Among the "legitimate" catalogue issues depicted are:
a. 2 miniature sheets, but no stamps, from St Kitts commemorating Nelson Mandela- obviously of great postal use to islanders;
b. 4 stamps from South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands depicting sports, including ski-jumping and high jump - I'm sure both heavily participated in by the visiting British Antarctic survey officers - 675 stamps now issued by basically uninhabited islands; and,
c. a stamp from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo Government for 450th Birth anniversary of William Shakespeare - just as well they issued a stamp, because UK didn't bother.

So, how many of these three issue were "legitimate"? Or were they just issued to get a quid out of hapless collectors?
The Bosnian stamp would definitely see genuine use, while the South Georgia might see some (very) limited use. On the other hand, the St. Kitts issues are pure wallpaper, I don't know why SG and the like keep listing them.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

LHJ wrote:However, to the best of my knowledge anything post 1970 masquarading as a Biaran stamp is a cinderella for the the unknowing.
That is correct. The last two stamps of Biafra authorized by a functioning government were printed in 1970 but were not yet released by the time the war ended and the country ceased to exist.

Just to add, only about three-fourths of the stamps issued by Biafra were authorized for postal use. The rest (mostly overprints) could be considered propaganda or charity stamps, many of which never made it out of Europe where they were printed before being sold to dealers.

BC

member389845

Post by member389845 »

"Is anybody able to publish a full catalogue of the stamps of Rainbow Creek and Hutt River Principality, similar to that of Chyan shown earlier in this thread?

Such a catalogue would be a wonderful resource! "

I have produced a fully illustrated CD Catalogue of Australian and New Zealand Local and Private Posts and Railway Posts, which include Rainbow Creek and Hutt River, as well as Bumbunga, Lord Howe Island, Aramoana etc.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

It is truly WONDERFUL news that a catalogue of Rainbow Creek & Hutt River Principality has been done.

Congratulations on this, Ralph!

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”