GB Health and Pensions Insurance stamp- any value

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

GB Health and Pensions Insurance stamp- any value

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

These were in a junk lot I picked up and with a an odd value of 15/2 they seemed quite interesting but my GB Barefoot is ancient and does not have these in, also I cannot find similar anywhere.

Whilst I doubt they are worth much, can anybody confirm a recent value?

The yellow and blue look quite nice together.....

Thanks

Lundy :D

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: GB Health and Pensions Insurance stamp- any value

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

The 15/2 value is only listed in brackets in my 2010 Barefoot, and it gives the date of issue as 1939 (incorrect since this is dated 1937). Since it's an unrecorded copy (something pretty common with revenues) you could send an email to John Barefoot informing him about it so it will be included in the next edition of the catalogue.

On IBRedGuy, this is priced at £15 (prices with and without a specimen overprint are usually the same).
http://www.ibredguy.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=17251
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Wow, thanks Halfpenny yellow!

IBRedGuy's pages are a great reference thanks for sharing that too.

As you say, I will email John Barefoot and let him know

Thanks

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Very pretty, and what a WEIRD amount - 15/2d!
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

ivqii
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by ivqii »

Lundy

IBRedGuy is an active member of this board ( under a different handle )
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

Not Bruce
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Not Bruce »

I am indeed... nice find too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com

Finchley Chris
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Finchley Chris »

What is the significance of 15/2?

Not Bruce

Post by Not Bruce »

There were lots of rates for pensions contributions depending on who you were, it was all based on percentages of income and whether you were paid weekly or monthly. The rate also included medical insurance (pre-NHS)

15/2d was quite a high rate, so probably used for a high earner or someone working overseas who would only pay monthly/quarterly.

These stamps were supposed to be affixed to a payments card which was usually kept by the wages department of the employer and there were serious legal penalities for removing them or being found with unused ones without authority... hence why they're not that common.
Looking for Revenues, Railways and Cinderellas? Weekly auctions on eBay with over 300 curious new lots every week...Website: http://www.ibredguy.com

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks all,

Great to get the background on things like this,

John Barefoot sent a very nice and informative reply:

"Thanks for the scan of the nice 15/2d. I will add it to the list of recorded examples. Probably most of the bracketed items exist; the information is derived from a government archive collection first researched by Booth. They are recorded printing dates but not necessarily FIRST printings, earlier dates may exist. No-one took much interest at the time and it was a difficult period (wartime) but gradually bits and pieces are emerging. The great thing about collecting revenues is that it is still a frontier field and there are plenty of new discoveries to be made.

I'll include you in the list of contributors for the next edition."

The other value was a 1s2d dated 13 Jan 1937 so I will also mention that to John

Thanks all

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Not Bruce wrote:These stamps were supposed to be affixed to a payments card which was usually kept by the wages department of the employer and there were serious legal penalities for removing them or being found with unused ones without authority... hence why they're not that common.
Lots of people in the UK still refer to National Insurance contributions as "paying my stamp" - even though as far as I know, stamps haven't been used for decades. :idea:

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

gavin-h wrote:Lots of people in the UK still refer to National Insurance contributions as "paying my stamp" - even though as far as I know, stamps haven't been used for decades. :idea:
The same thing happens in Malta. The NI is still referred to as tħallas il-bolla (pay the stamp) although the actual stamps were withdrawn in the mid-1970s.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

norvic

Post by norvic »

And if you are ever in London at a loose end you can see the

The H M Stationery Office Collection ....

Of Excise Revenue material, is strong in National Savings and National Insurance stamps. Received from HMSO between 1982 and 1992.

at The British Library

I enjoyed going through this before it was sent to the British Library, but had no idea then that these were collected and of course I have no idea now what the collection included. I recall a lot of the sheets were perforated through the stamps rather than between, and that there were various other stamps such as Navy Cigarette stamps. They were printed at the HMSO print works known as Manor Farm, located on the part of the site of the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley. Manor Farm Press was closed on 1 September 1981 owing to its heavy losses.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

matthewhealey
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by matthewhealey »

Hi Lundy,

Do you still own this pair? If you’re interested in parting with it, just drop me a line. Cheers!

Matthew
Lundy wrote:Hi all,

These were in a junk lot I picked up and with a an odd value of 15/2 they seemed quite interesting but my GB Barefoot is ancient and does not have these in, also I cannot find similar anywhere.

Whilst I doubt they are worth much, can anybody confirm a recent value?

The yellow and blue look quite nice together.....

Thanks

~~~~
Matthew

SteveF
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by SteveF »

And when you leave a job in the UK it always used to be referred to as "taking your cards", i.e. taking the cards that had the insurance stamps stuck on, which would be needed by your next employer, to continue the process. The stamps were usually stuck on weekly.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”