Massive worldwide revenue collection sold on eBay

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Massive worldwide revenue collection sold on eBay

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

A couple of weeks ago, the eBay seller the.postal.history.paradise based in Bucharest, Romania, sold a massive collection of worldwide revenue stamps dating back to the 19th and early 20th centuries.

The collection seems to have been left untouched for almost a century, since the latest stamps in it date back to the 1920s. It includes revenues from a wide range of countries, being particularly strong in Europe, South America and British Empire.

It contains many rare items, and many of the lots have sold for impressive amounts. The seller included the following description on every lot from this collection:
the.postal.history.paradise wrote:This lot is part of an amazing collection of worldwide revenue stamps which has laid untouched for many decades and which we are now splitting up and offering on eBay country by country. Revenue stamps in quantities are not easy to find, even in case of those which are the most common, and such diverse hoards of early revenues as we are offering now, many of which are scarce or rare, come on the market extremely seldom. Included in this phenomenal sale are some major rarities, mint examples, multiples, high values as well as entire countries or areas the revenues of which are almost never seen on the market. This is a unique opportunity to acquire some true gems of this fascinating area of philately, which has experienced a steady growth over the past couple of decades and, thruth be told, is just warming up in terms of its real potential. Take advantage now and bid strongly on these collections, which are all offered starting at $1 no reserve. Remember that once they're gone, they're gone!
A couple of days ago, I needed to sort some Brazil revenues from my collection, and having no catalogue covering this area, I used the images from the Brazil lot from this collection to help sort them out. Then I realized that it would be a shame to lose such valuable information once eBay deletes the listings in a couple of months.

Therefore I saved hundreds of images from the lots, and I'm going to upload them in this thread, alphabetically country by country. Since the collection contains many unusual/rare items which are not commonly seen, these images might be an important resource for revenue collectors.

I'll also include the prices the lots sold for (in US Dollars, excluding postage which was $5 for some lots, and free for others), the date sold and the eBay link.

Images to follow shortly.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Massive worldwide revenue collection sold on eBay

Post by Global Administrator »

Great idea to save these for posterity. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

HalfpennyYellow

To get the ball rolling...

Antigua
Sold for $67 on 11 March 2018
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253467634919

Antigua Stamp Duty and fiscally used Postage stamps
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

HalfpennyYellow

Please note that I haven't updated this thread since it seems that the seller has other lots from this collection for sale. I'll update it accordingly once the lots have ended.

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Thanks for this HalfpennyYellow. I will be following this.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:Please note that I haven't updated this thread since it seems that the seller has other lots from this collection for sale. I'll update it accordingly once the lots have ended.
Would you mind giving us the link or are you bidding on the items?
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by warm »

Allanswood wrote:
HalfpennyYellow wrote:Please note that I haven't updated this thread since it seems that the seller has other lots from this collection for sale. I'll update it accordingly once the lots have ended.
Whilst i do not collect them it would be useful if all the images could be harvested at the highest resolution as a reference for others.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Allanswood wrote:
Click on the link just above the Antigua image, Greg. Then click on sellers other items.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

HalfpennyYellow

warm wrote:Whilst i do not collect them it would be useful if all the images could be harvested at the highest resolution as a reference for others.
Unfortunately this board only allows maximum size of 900px, so I have to resize each and every photo manually (Imgur only allows 800px with its automatic resize, which is very small). In most cases, I have to split the image into two to achieve a sufficient size. I have over 700 saved images from these lots, so please bear with me since it will take some time for me to edit/upload everything.
Allanswood wrote:Would you mind giving us the link or are you bidding on the items?
I did bid on some of the previous lots, but I only purchased a single lot (of Gibraltar revenues). The current listings may be seen here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the.postal.history.paradise/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

warm

Post by warm »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
warm wrote:Whilst i do not collect them it would be useful if all the images could be harvested at the highest resolution as a reference for others.
Unfortunately this board only allows maximum size of 900px, so I have to resize each and every photo manually (Imgur only allows 800px with its automatic resize, which is very small). In most cases, I have to split the image into two to achieve a sufficient size. I have over 700 saved images from these lots, so please bear with me since it will take some time for me to edit/upload everything.

I do appreciate the time element.

Thank you for persevering. I'm sure there will be many appreciative collectors

Have you considered automatically making them all into a large .pdf file and then a DVD. I guess that would be allowed… then each individual file would print at best quality.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I'll find the name of it after work, but I have software that takes a large format image, splits it into smaller images (such as 2 halves) and then saves it in the size you require. All in an easy quick fashion.

For example you may have a 4000 x 2500 pixel image. It will split it into 2 and then save them as a top and bottom half of 900 x 560 which is a large enough image for the boards, specially when the 2 together appear as large as an A4 page here.

Although loading up 700 images via Imgur will take quite a bit of time!

example here: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24683&hilit=pound+orange&start=250

At first glance readers may wonder how I loaded up such large images within the 900 pixel limit.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:

example here: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24683&hilit=pound+orange&start=250

At first glance readers may wonder how I loaded up such large images within the 900 pixel limit.
All that good work Greg and google sees none of it. :roll:

No text, no simple short captions ever, and as far as google "spiders" are concerned it does not exist. Spiders do not read text on images.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

HalfpennyYellow

I finally managed to save all the photos from the lots - with the ones that ended last time, the total is up to 1176 photos. :shock:

Since most of the photos are going to be split up into two in order to have an adequate resolution, the total will be up to 2352 photos. I will limit to two photos (each split into two) per post. Once I upload everything from Antigua to Yugoslavia, this thread should be over 10 pages long.

Please bear with me that it will take some time for me to resize, edit, upload and post each photo.

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1
Sold for $609.99 on 28 February 2018
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253438588620

This was the second most expensive lot sold.

Argentina Servicio Consular (Consular Service) stamps

Argentina Servicio Consular (Consular Service) stamps

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Servicio Consular (Consular Service) and Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps

Argentina Cambio (Bill of Exchange) stamps
Last edited by HalfpennyYellow on 19 Apr 2018 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Halfpenny Yellow

This will be a wonderful resource. If you like, I can insert an index in the first post of the thread, with clickable links to each country. Will save people time if they are interested only in a particular country. I can update in blocks as you go along.

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

HalfpennyYellow

Canada stamper wrote:Halfpenny Yellow

This will be a wonderful resource. If you like, I can insert an index in the first post of the thread, with clickable links to each country. Will save people time if they are interested only in a particular country. I can update in blocks as you go along.

Jean
Thank you Jean. Yes, the index seems to be a good idea. :) I am writing the country name and type of revenue stamps (if I know what they are) under each image so that if someone happens to be searching eg. "Argentina Consular stamps" it would be easy to find this thread. I see that searching "Antigua Stamp Duty" brings up this thread as the twelfth hit on Google Images.

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Excellent idea Halfpenny Yellow. :)

Do add the year range too if they give it - that really zeros in the google searches!

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps 1901-1910

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps 1897-1913

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps 1913-1916

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps 1917-1918

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Ley de Sellos (Documents/Stamp Duty) stamps 1919-1920

Argentina Santa Fe Province Contribucion, Patente, Impuesto de Patentes, Ley de Contribucion Directa, Recibo de Patente stamps 1895-1897

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Recibo de Patente, Ley de Contribucion Directa, Patentes, Contribucion Directa y Guias stamps 1897-1901

Argentina Santa Fe Province Patentes, Contribucion Directa y Guias stamps 1901-1902

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Patentes, Contribucion Directa y Guias stamps 1902-1904

Argentina Santa Fe Province Patentes, Contribucion Directa y Guias stamps 1904-1908

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

These Argentinean Revenues remind me on a collection i have seen in New York at NY2016 dealing with Argentinean Prostitution Revenue stamps!!!
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

HalfpennyYellow

22028 wrote:These Argentinean Revenues remind me on a collection i have seen in New York at NY2016 dealing with Argentinean Prostitution Revenue stamps!!!
You must be referring to the Servicio Sanitario issues of the municipality of Rosario, which have been discussed earlier on SB: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30667

There used to be an excellent website about them, but it's a dead link now and I was unable to find an archived copy of it. :(

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Patentes, Contribucion Directa y Guias, Ley Registro Civil, Control del Talon, Control Impuestos stamps 1903-1911

Argentina Santa Fe Province Direccion General de Rentas and general revenue stamps 1893-1897

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province general revenue stamps 1897-1899

Argentina Santa Fe Province general revenue stamps 1899-1901

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province general revenue stamps 1901-1911

Argentina Santa Fe Province Documents revenue stamps 1879-1889

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Documents revenue stamps 1879-1889

Argentina Santa Fe Province Talon, Control de Guias revenue stamps 1894-1896

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Control de Guias revenue stamps 1898-1899

Argentina Santa Fe municipality Talon/Control revenue stamps 1909

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe municipality Talon/Control revenue stamps 1909 and 1899

Argentina Santa Fe municipality Talon/Control revenue stamps 1900

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe municipality Talon/Control revenue stamps 1900 and 1913

Argentina Santa Fe Province Direccion General de Rentas, Impuesto de Patentes and general revenue stamps 1893, Esperanza municipality revenue stamps, Rosario de Santa Fe municipality revenue stamps

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Control del Talon, Comisiones de Fomento 1909-1910

Argentina Santa Fe Province Control del Talon, Comisiones de Fomento 1910-1912

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Santa Fe Province Control del Talon, Comision de Fomento 1912

Argentina Buenos Aires Province Guia de Campana, Direccion General de Rentas 1892

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
There used to be an excellent website about them, but it's a dead link now and I was unable to find an archived copy of it. :(
Exactly why I started stampboards 11 years back.

I saw, and still see to this day like this one, ENDLESS superb sites vanish forever that someone takes 100 or 1000 hours to assemble and then chooses not to pay $20 to renew the annual domain name. Insane. :roll: :roll:

Great work like from HalfpennyYellow above here will avoid that occurring in future. :idea:

Glen

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

An excellent thread and very fascinating, keep it up Halfpenny Yellow.
Militantly left wing and proud - but not a communist.

adam78
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by adam78 »

Allanswood wrote:I'll find the name of it after work, but I have software that takes a large format image, splits it into smaller images (such as 2 halves) and then saves it in the size you require. All in an easy quick fashion.

For example you may have a 4000 x 2500 pixel image. It will split it into 2 and then save them as a top and bottom half of 900 x 560 which is a large enough image for the boards, specially when the 2 together appear as large as an A4 page here.
Did you dig up the name of the software, I'm keen to try it
Adam.

HalfpennyYellow

It's been a very long time since I posted in this thread (it's really time consuming to edit and resize every single photo!), but here are a few more pages from this collection.

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Buenos Aires Province Guia de Campana, Direccion General de Rentas revenue stamps 1893

Argentina Buenos Aires Province Guia de Campana revenue stamps 1894 and 1896

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Buenos Aires Province Guia de Campana revenue stamps 1898, 1900, 1901 and 1902

Argentina Buenos Aires Municipality revenue stamps 1903 and 1907

HalfpennyYellow

Argentina - 1 (cont.)

Argentina Buenos Aires Province Ley de Sellos revenue stamps

Argentina Buenos Aires Province Ley de Sellos revenue stamps

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by alltorque »

beautiful scans... great material from a serious collector.
Working thru the alphabet and waiting on what is to come..Keep it up.
cheers

westminstrel
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by westminstrel »

These are SO BEAUTIFUL just to look at. Please share more when you can; it’d be great resource for sure.

warm

Post by warm »

Yes, an excellent resource.
Thank you

benjclark
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by benjclark »

Thread also now saved in the archive.org Wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200226231808/https://www.stamp ... ead#unread
Always seeking bookseller labels....Album of Book Trade Labels
Author Site: Benjamin L Clark.com PSCC #157

erich

Post by erich »

Did he sell an AMG-FTT Trieste revenue collection? I have a decent one I can scan up and post for reference if that would be useful.

HalfpennyYellow

I had forgotten about this thread. :oops: I still have all the saved images and when I have time I'll continue to upload them gradually.

There wasn't a Trieste collection among these. These were all older issues, mostly pre-WWI, with some countries having stamps up to the early 1920s.

erich

Post by erich »

AMG-FTT is 1948-1952, but these are nicely laid out on specialized pages and might be a good reference. Only time in 20+ years I've had a decent collection of them.

pleripus
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Post by pleripus »

This collection & your effort are wonderful. Any idea what catalogue the numbers are from?

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”