Information and identification sought for these odd items

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Information and identification sought for these odd items

Post by kuikka »

Hi,

I have got some odd items which I cannot identify or just cannot locate them. All help is appreciated.

1. This is the least odd. US revenue stamp. I'm just unable to locate it in my Scott US specialized catalogue (2016). I would appreciate the Scott number for it. I would expect nothing odd about it.

2. This is a Cinderella stamp from Davaar Island, Scotland. Anything you can tell about this stamp or the issuing authority is appreciated.

3. Where does this air mail label come form? Anything else you can tell about it?

4. What country does this registration label come from? Can anyone make out the town? Anything else you can tell about it?

5. A letter seal. Can you tell me the origin? Anything about the purpose (postal tax or charity label or publicity label, etc.). Anything else you can tell about it?

6. What is this label? Where is it from? Anything you can tell about it?

7. These seems to be part of a set of British kings. Anything you can tell about this set? I assume it has nothing to do with mail or revenue.

Thank you in advance.

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Information and identification sought for these odd item

Post by vicaf60 »

No. 5 - it must be a charity label from Belgium (Brabant). I don't know what is (was Specialization of the Lambert sanatorium but the crosses (this type) in the corners of the stamp are quite common a symbol for anti-tuberculosis campaigns in different countries.

Concerning Davaar Island (no. 2) - there is some information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Davaar

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Item 1 - US revenue from the third issue of 1871-81. This link contains some details, and it identifies your stamp as Scott R135 issued in 1871: https://www.stamp-collecting-world.com/usrevenuestamps_1871T.html

Item 3 - British airmail label. These were also used outside of the UK in a number of colonies (I think they were also available at POs here in Malta). Yours seems to have a Glasgow postmark.

Item 4 - French registration label, probably "NICE-GARE" (ie. a railway station in Nice)

Item 5 - Belgian anti-TB cinderella from a set depicting sanatoriums, which exists in different colours. This auction lot contains several images of these including full sheets etc: https://www.stampcircuit.com/stamp-Auction/guillermo-jalil-p ... ermo-jalil
Incidentally, a couple of days ago I came across a label from the same set but in brown!
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

The first stamp appears to be Sc. R135 (from the third series of documentary stamps).

The Davaar stamp purports to be a local carriage label from the island as described in the link given by vicaf60.

I'm suspicious of the wording of the Wikipedia comment.

There may have been a nominal service as described but clearly the stamp were created for collectors.

"The stamps served the many visitors to the island who wished to have their mail posted there" sounds nonsense to me.

The final productions were produced by Clive Feigenbaum who was notorious for this kind of thing.

Here's a link to a website that has investigated the Format archives:
http://golowesstamps.com/reference/formatprinters/Davaar%20I ... stamps.htm

This shows a decimal set for Davaar in the style of the long-running "Leaders of the World" series.
Nigel

nigelc

Post by nigelc »

These labels turn up quite often and seem to be Austrian and/or Hungarian.

There are a number of different design styles (with different headings and sometimes organisation names) but they all seem to have a girl's face, two girls' names and a number.

I think most of what I've read about them has been guesswork but they are often associated with lotteries.

When I was young shops often had sheets of labels for sale to children and families.

Often these were to designed to decorate a stamp album so there would be sheets of country flags, coats of arms and so on.

I've seen old examples dating back to 1900 and before, for example with portraits with European heads of state.

Many other labels were just fun stickers, with animals, birds, kings and queens etc.

I think that's what we have here. They look familiar but I don't remember where I've seen them before. :D
Nigel

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Image Image
See if you can get a copy of this reference work Kuikka. Published around 1976.
DAVAAR. D33-37. November 1st 1965. Kennedy. Coin shaped on gold foil. 3d. 6d. 9d. 2/-. 5/-.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

Concerning #6 - a "Good Luck" or Lottery Stamp.

I have several of these.... here is my only real source of information

https://alphabetilately.org/GM.html
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

The #1 Scott R135 is from what we refer to as the 3rd issue. Almost certainly with a bank cancel and used on a check.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

vicaf60 wrote:No. 5 - it must be a charity label from Belgium (Brabant). I don't know what is (was Specialization of the Lambert sanatorium but the crosses (this type) in the corners of the stamp are quite common a symbol for anti-tuberculosis campaigns in different countries.

Concerning Davaar Island (no. 2) - there is some information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Davaar
Thank you very much.

For #5, thank you for this information. It helps a lot.

For #2, thank you for the link.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:Item 1 - US revenue from the third issue of 1871-81. This link contains some details, and it identifies your stamp as Scott R135 issued in 1871: https://www.stamp-collecting-world.com/usrevenuestamps_1871T.html

Item 3 - British airmail label. These were also used outside of the UK in a number of colonies (I think they were also available at POs here in Malta). Yours seems to have a Glasgow postmark.

Item 4 - French registration label, probably "NICE-GARE" (ie. a railway station in Nice)

Item 5 - Belgian anti-TB cinderella from a set depicting sanatoriums, which exists in different colours. This auction lot contains several images of these including full sheets etc: https://www.stampcircuit.com/stamp-Auction/guillermo-jalil-p ... ermo-jalil
Incidentally, a couple of days ago I came across a label from the same set but in brown!
Thank you very much.

#1, thank you. I have been browsing correct page but failed to find it before.

#3, thank you both for identifying the stamp and the postmark. Now I know where to place this label.

#4, thank you for identifying both the country and town. Excellent.

#5, thank you. That increases my information on this label.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

nigelc wrote:1.
The first stamp appears to be Sc. R135 (from the third series of documentary stamps).

The Davaar stamp purports to be a local carriage label from the island as described in the link given by vicaf60.

I'm suspicious of the wording of the Wikipedia comment.

There may have been a nominal service as described but clearly the stamp were created for collectors.

"The stamps served the many visitors to the island who wished to have their mail posted there" sounds nonsense to me.

The final productions were produced by Clive Feigenbaum who was notorious for this kind of thing.

Here's a link to a website that has investigated the Format archives:
http://golowesstamps.com/reference/formatprinters/Davaar%20I ... stamps.htm

This shows a decimal set for Davaar in the style of the long-running "Leaders of the World" series.
#1, thank you. Before this I have failed to find that even that I have browsed on the right page.

#2, thank you. This seems to be confusing "country" to deal with.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

nigelc wrote:6.
These labels turn up quite often and seem to be Austrian and/or Hungarian.

There are a number of different design styles (with different headings and sometimes organisation names) but they all seem to have a girl's face, two girls' names and a number.

I think most of what I've read about them has been guesswork but they are often associated with lotteries.

When I was young shops often had sheets of labels for sale to children and families.

Often these were to designed to decorate a stamp album so there would be sheets of country flags, coats of arms and so on.

I've seen old examples dating back to 1900 and before, for example with portraits with European heads of state.

Many other labels were just fun stickers, with animals, birds, kings and queens etc.

I think that's what we have here. They look familiar but I don't remember where I've seen them before. :D
#6, thank you. There seems to be only limited information available on these stamps. In the beginning I had no idea what I have.

#7, thank you for additional information. That is roughly what I expected.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
Image Image
See if you can get a copy of this reference work Kuikka. Published around 1976.
DAVAAR. D33-37. November 1st 1965. Kennedy. Coin shaped on gold foil. 3d. 6d. 9d. 2/-. 5/-.
Thank you very much. I was not aware that these are catalogued somewhere. However, I have so few of these stamps listed in this catalogue that it is not high on my priority list to get this catalogue (there are many catalogues that I try to source before this, but if I run into it, I might well buy it, if it doesn't cost too much.)

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

RobRoyH wrote:Concerning #6 - a "Good Luck" or Lottery Stamp.

I have several of these.... here is my only real source of information

https://alphabetilately.org/GM.html
Thank you for this interesting link. It may well be the best source available. Interesting to read.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

RobRoyH wrote:The #1 Scott R135 is from what we refer to as the 3rd issue. Almost certainly with a bank cancel and used on a check.
Thank you very much. I have browsed on this right page but just failed to spot it. Now I will be able to place it correctly in its place.

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

kuikka,

With regard to item 7, I happen to have the full sheet. I have no idea where I got it but it is obviously a non-postal souvenir item

If you would like this sheet as a gift contact me via Board email and give me your mailing address details. You have been helpful to me several times in the past with answers to questions I have posted and this would be a thank you.

BC

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Brit-Col wrote:kuikka,

With regard to item 7, I happen to have the full sheet. I have no idea where I got it but it is obviously a non-postal souvenir item

If you would like this sheet as a gift contact me via Board email and give me your mailing address details. You have been helpful to me several times in the past with answers to questions I have posted and this would be a thank you.

BC

Thank you for showing this sheet. It is nice to know where are they coming from. Also, thank you for your nice words and thoughts as well as your generous offer. As these are totally toy things not related to any kind of postal or revenue usage (not even in stamp albums) they are outside of my active collecting interest. For that reason there is no need to send them to me. However, a high resolution image would be nice, as it has all the British royals (name and picture) and their reigns in one place, should I ever need that information. I will send you e-mail for the image.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

kuikka wrote:…all the British royals in one place, should I ever need that information.
A useful rhyme which many here were taught as youngsters.

Willie Willie Harry Stee
Harry Dick John Harry three;
One two three Neds, Richard two
Harrys four five six... then who?
Edwards four five, Dick the bad,
Harrys (twain), Ned six (the lad);
Mary, Bessie, James you ken,
Then Charlie, Charlie, James again...
Will and Mary, Anna Gloria,
Georges four, Will Four, Victoria;
Edward seven next, and then
Came George the fifth in nineteen ten;
Ned the eighth soon abdicated
Then George six was coronated;
After which Elizabeth
And that's all folks until her death.
It can be a little difficult to understand the nicknames and diminutives used. Willie /Will and Harry and Charlie for William and Henry and Charles are fairly self-explanatory. Stee is Stephen, Ned is Edward, Bess is Elizabeth, etc.

It excludes Lady Jane Grey (the Queen of Nine Days) between Edward VI and Mary I
and the Commonwealth period (Lord Protectors Oliver Cromwell and Richard Cromwell who sit between the two Charles).

kuikka

Re: Information and identification sought for these odd items

Post by kuikka »

A new one.

Suomi-Finland,1807-1879, Fredrika Runeberg

This is odd. Clearly a Finnish one. Engraved stamp quality but not a postage stamp. Clearly much older than NVI stamps. My catalogues seem to tell nothing about it, or I don't know where to search for it.

Thank you for any information you can provide about it.

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

kuikka wrote:
01 Jun 2020 07:40
A new one.

Suomi-Finland,1807-1879, Fredrika Runeberg

This is odd. Clearly a Finnish one. Engraved stamp quality but not a postage stamp. Clearly much older than NVI stamps. My catalogues seem to tell nothing about it, or I don't know where to search for it.

Thank you for any information you can provide about it.
https://www.jaysmith.com/Lists/Finland/Finland-Essays-1940-Onward.html
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Librarianc,

Thank you very much. Although not very conclusive, at least it is something to start with. Definitely more information that I have been able to find anywhere else. One thing though that seem a bit odd. 1947 would be 140th birth anniversary and 1949 would be 70th death anniversary. Based on the birth and death anniversaries I would consider 1957 (150th birth anniversary) or 1954 (75th death anniversary) more likely candidate, dating this a bit younger than Jaysmith does. Naturally I have nothing else to support that dating, so it is at the best just an educated guess.

Should anyone else have any additional information, I would be very happy to receive it. I do consider this still a partially open case.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”