Sandia Crest, New Mexico, Local Post

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

DarrenK
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Sandia Crest, New Mexico, Local Post

Post by DarrenK »

I picked up a group of Private Post covers and since I can't find any reference other than the name under "Philatelic Terms" so I thought I would post these details for future reference.

Sandia Crest:
On the 1st May 1956 another U.S.A. local was inaugurated, the Sandia Crest. The service was truly unique among the modern American private express services for the delivery of mail. It served an area not reached by the U.S. Postal Services; in fact, it catered for approximately 60,000 people who made the 14 mile journey to the peak of Sandia Crest, 10,678 feet above sea level, each year.

At the peak of this mountain is a trading post where visitors may purchase curios, cards etc., which could be left there for delivery to the nearest post office, Sandia Park, by the Sandia Crest local delivery. It was stipulated that all mail emanating from the trading post had to have the correct U.S. postage affixed before the item would be accepted for delivery.

The first day of issue of this local was 1st May 1956 when 1,000 covers were carried. The label was a 2 cent triangle, printed in 2 colours, black and yellow on white paper in sheets of four perforated and gummed. They were printed by Ward Anderson Printing Co of Albuquerque. A total of 10,000 labels were printed for this issue.

Sandia Crest Private Post_0004.jpg
Sandia Crest Private Post_0005.jpg
Last edited by DarrenK on 01 Jun 2020 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

DarrenK

Re: Sandia Crest, New Mexico, Local Post

Post by DarrenK »

Sandia Crest New Mexico Local Delivery
Local 3 cent stamp on cover sent to Essex England (with US 3 cent stamp) via the local post on the first day of the new service.

Sandia Crest Private Post_0001.jpg

The 2 covers below are the second issue and are first day cover dated 1st February 1957. All covers of both issues were cancelled with the double crossed arrows with the handstamp above Sandia Crest New Mexico Local Delivery and date. The Sandia Crest local post ended its operation in the spring of 1961 when Mr Robert S Smolich, the organiser, left New Mexico. A service that lasted for five years and provided a mailing system for the visitors to the mountain of the park.

Sandia Crest Private Post_0002.jpg
Sandia Crest Private Post_0003.jpg

faro
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by faro »

Thanks for taking the time to transcribe. :)

It would be interesting to see if anyone has genuine tourist rather than philatelic use for these (most, indeed, are FDI). I don't think I have such, off-hand.

The stamps were printed in sheetlets of four, sequentially numbered for the second issue.

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

I found a few others online and most do appear to be philatelic in nature or First Day Covers.

16b8f507128b169272d6992e79b40804.jpg

There were 4 covers with the same typed addresses posted on different dates. A dealer maybe?

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”