Help Identifying Arabic writing Cinderella (Ottoman Bread Ration Stamp)

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampquestions
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Help Identifying Arabic writing Cinderella (Ottoman Bread Ration Stamp)

Post by stampquestions »

This stamp came labeled Iran Charity Stamp in an assorted lot. I would appreciate help from Stampboarders in identifying its purpose, dates of use (or issue), the nature of the inscription on the back and any other interesting information:

IranUnidentified.jpg

Thanks!
Derrick - I collect worldwide stamps. Please visit my "Philately Goes Bananas" site:
(http://www.groseducationalmedia.ca/Bananas/default.html); also, let me know of any omissions from my list of tomatoes on stamps at https://tinyurl.com/StampTomato. Thanks, happy stampboarding, and happy collecting!

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Help Identifying What May Be an Iranian Charity Stamp

Post by Number-O-Ne »

It's not Iranian.

It's a bread ration coupon from Ottoman Empire. Dated 5 April 1918. The language is Turkish.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Help Identifying Arabic writing Cinderella (Ottoman Bread Ration Stamp)

Post by gavin-h »

Moderator Comment:

Moved thread to Cinderella Forum and amended heading to reflect response given.

stampquestions

Post by stampquestions »

Number-O-Ne wrote:
19 Mar 2021 03:19
It's not Iranian.

It's a bread ration coupon from Ottoman Empire. Dated 5 April 1918. The language is Turkish.
Thanks for the information. Is the date from the inscription on the back of the stamp?
Derrick - I collect worldwide stamps. Please visit my "Philately Goes Bananas" site:
(http://www.groseducationalmedia.ca/Bananas/default.html); also, let me know of any omissions from my list of tomatoes on stamps at https://tinyurl.com/StampTomato. Thanks, happy stampboarding, and happy collecting!

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

stampquestions wrote:
19 Mar 2021 11:23

Thanks for the information. Is the date from the inscription on the back of the stamp?
You're welcome

Yes. It's the date on reverse.

Errata corrige:
Come to think of it :oops: , the Turkish calendar underwent a slight change in 1918. The date is actually 24 March 1918

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

Just asking about the correction. Is the first date the one written on the stamp and the second (corrected) one the same date using present date calendar? If not, could you tell more about it?

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

kuikka wrote:
19 Mar 2021 17:11
Just asking about the correction. Is the first date the one written on the stamp and the second (corrected) one the same date using present date calendar? If not, could you tell more about it?
Sure

My mistake based on the fact that I was at the hospital and did not concentrate fully when I answered the question between patients. :cry:

The Ottoman official calendar is a complicated issue. Let me give you some background:

Ottoman Empire, as an Islamic country, used Hegira Calendar. It worked well when they were not open to Western world. However, as their economy and finances became open to Europe, this calendar prove more problematic. Hegira year is lunar and is 354 days, while Western calendar (Julian or Gregorian) is solar and is 365 days. I'll ignore leap years for sake of simplicity.

The difference of 11 days meant once every 33-34 years, one year simply "disappeared". This would make Ottoman finances impossible to synchronize with foreign countries. By the 18th-19th century those finances were not much to be proud of even without a disappearing year, but that's a separate and long discussion.

Anyway, as of Hegira 09 Muharrem 1256, or Western 13 March 1840, the new solar calendar was adopted, and that day was accepted as 01 March 1256. March 1st was the first day of fiscal year, and the new calendar was called "Fiscal Calendar".

As it was solar, you would expect it to be synchronized. However, The Julian calendar was adopted instead of Gregorian, so a level of unpredictability remained despite best intentions.

As of 1 January 1918, the Ottoman administration changed the calendar to Gregorian, and synchronized the days, except the year was kept as before. So. 1 January 1918 became 1 January 1334, while for example 1 January 1916 was 19 December 1332. With numbers indicating months it was more complicated. Until 1918, March was 1st month, in 1918, March became the 3rd month as usual. As a consequence of this conversion, the year 1333 became ten month long. Two months vanished by royal decree.

I neglected the above paragraph for a minute, and calculated things differently. That's what I mean.

Hope this helps. If you feel dizzy, make an appointment and see me :) :)
Last edited by Number-O-Ne on 20 Mar 2021 09:44, edited 3 times in total.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Thank you very much for your answer. I learned again something new. I don't feel dizzy, facts hardly ever make it. However, I may need to read it again (maybe few times ) to understand it all. :)

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”