1873 OPPENS World Album to 1914 or so, M+U Cat £17,000 $A675

For Mods only to move threads from the "Stamps For Sale" forum after they have sold, or are not eligible to be there in the first instance! READ the "Rules" on top of that forum folks.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

1873 OPPENS World Album to 1914 or so, M+U Cat £17,000 $A675

Post by GlenStephens »

1873 OPPENS World Stamp Album to 1914 or so, M+U, SG Cat ~£17,000 for $A675
Ancient gold blocked front cover, "Oppen's" Postage stamp album, 1873 Edition. Stamps up to only about 1914 in here, and never been on market for well over a Century.

A scarce old survivor that I bought from an Estate family collection, handed down over the generations. Formed nearly all in the 19th Century it seems clear.

Mostly stuck in, as was the normal fashion then, and amazingly, everything in here is a GENUINE stamp pretty much. Many collections of the time were filled with Fournier or Spiro type rough fakes to fill up the spaces. NOT this one. :idea:

Condition all over the place, as always on these ancient lots, with not great stamps to start with in some cases, and some aging creeping in. A hot water "bath" for the patient salvage merchant will reward handsomely I'd guess, as many sound stamps here - and those are often items of high cat.

The SG catalogue values in pencil were done 4 or 5 years ago, and it then got buried in the rubble here in this junkyard. Some badly damaged hi-cat not counted at all in SG figure. :)

Back then they were cat £16,000, and in the ensuing 5 years that is more likely 10% or so higher, but after 1am Sunday here, and I am not spending hours doing it all again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some pretty nice pieces here - I saw an attractive Victoria 1d “Half Length” imperf, also the 2d and 3d Half Lengths as well are here, and other Vic imperfs, and other handy things of that ilk, that are all $50-$75 or so stamps on their own. A well-worn relic of another era, showing its age. The same can be said of the $US10 million, 1856 1c British Guiana of course! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only a VERY few pages and items shown - excuse the lighting, but at after 1am Sunday, never perfect, and too tired to do more. AND I posted up some twice but too pooped to sort out what ones. Cat SG will be about £17,500 now - MUST be worth under 2.5% of SG to SOMEONE??! Even to keep intact, as a cool relic of a bygone era? Or to add to etc.

Do you know ANYONE who owns a 144 year old stamp album?

Or for an ebayer - 100s of instant listings. 8)

$A675 plus post

NOTE: - All parcels leaving me for members have valuable CTO cancelled GEMS as part of the franking!

Remember, adding another lot of mine (posted by eitherAdmin or GlenStephens or Global Administrator, or ozstamps) - here (or on my website) for sale in general adds ZERO to your
shipping cost, so have a good look at what is on offer here in case something else appeals:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewforum.php?f=27

All payment details are on -
https://www.glenstephens.com/payment.html

Call it - "Oppen's album - Stock 215EH" - please order via SECURE site: -

https://www.glenstephens.com/order.html

For overseas members, to find out the approx cost in YOUR currency, click here - https://www.xe.com

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - don't like it - mail it back within 48 hours of receiving it. No-one ever has yet. :)

And "lay-by/layaway" is always possible - email me with any queries to glen [at] glenstephens.com - OR "trade-ins" always possible! If you have a pile of surplus stuff, I may well be happy
to offset that against this item - see

https://www.glenstephens.com/buying.html

As most know - I do NO fairs or shows, have NO shop, and do NOT bother with ebay or other auctions. I buy endless bulk lots from Estates, and distress sales etc, in this massive city of 6 million with no other real stamp
buyers, and offer it here at NETT prices for fast turnover. NO "20% Buyer Fees" to add to my prices, as in auction!

Many similar mouth-watering NETT price offers are being loaded weekly onto -

https://www.glenstephens.com/rarity.html and

https://www.glenstephens.com/specials.html

All stampboards lots $A200 and under are mailed Unregistered.

If Reg'd is required, STATE that on order form - cost is extra $A4 local, and minimum $A15 extra foreign. Only YOU know if your street address is secure - a large packet covered in pretty stamps left outside,
just might tempt passers-by? PO Boxes are far safer.

'All risk' Insurance is always possible if required, at $A2 per $100 covered - again it must be specified on order form.

As per stampboard convention - this lot is offered exclusively first to board members - and on no other sales venue.

For members who make a BANK TRANSFER payment you WILL generally get your goods faster, as it saves me some hassle - but you MUST email me the confirmation number etc - many "forget"! :)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: 1873 OPPENS World Album to 1914 or so, M+U Cat £17,000 $

Post by Global Administrator »

Research by Margo and I tonight, point to this 1873 Oppens being very easily the earliest surviving stamp album formed in Australia. Rod Perry has never seen an earlier one. His next earliest is 1878, five years later -

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=78861

Near all old albums from this era we see here were formed initally or wholly in the UK, Europe or USA.

We have proven this one was from a family who settled Melbourne soon after it was fist settled in 1834. It was owned by an ANZAC veteran, whose father was born on the banks of the Yarra River in 1856.

Wemyss and Marion Gordon had 3 children, and 'Miss M Gordon' on the mailed cover below found inside the book storing old stamps was daughter Margaret. Norman was a son. Father Wemyss was born 1856 as "The Age" Newspaper of 1936 below tells us when he was 80 years old. (He died at home on November 27, 1940 according to 'The Argus'.) Better still, it tells us he was born on the Yarra Bank, so my rusty Detective skills tells us his kids were also Australian born. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The album came from the Gordon family locally, and is the 1873 Edition of 'Oppens', noted on both front pages as you can see. "Uncle Jim" gave it to "Norman W. Gordon, Xmas 1901", and he so inscribed it, in florid pen copperplate on the frontispage. Better still there is a tatty old KGVI franking cover inside addressed to "Miss M. Gordon, 12 Fernhurst Avenue, Kew Victoria" so there is the clear ozzie connection.

The "Miss Gordon" on that cover was Margaret Gordon, brother of Norman who the album was inscribed to. Norman moved to Mount Evelyn, Victoria, and was President of the Young Farmers Association there, and scored a cricket score of 14 not out against Lilydale in 1931. (Norman died in November 12, 1950 according to "The Argus") :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Album owner Norman was an orcharist at KOO-KA property there, also according to 'The Argus'.

Owner of the album, Norman's son, Lance Corporal Douglas Gordon of the RAAF was reported as escaping from Singapore from the Japanese, according the the "Healesville and Yarra Glen Guardian" of March 14, 1942.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/164478769?searchTe ... rchLimits=

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/22547372?searchTer ... rchLimits=

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/22553087?searchTer ... rchLimits=

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11690333?searchTer ... rchLimits=

Wemysss Gordon was Norman and Margaret's father. "Uncle Jim" who passed on the album, was Wemyss's brother, and as Wemyss we know was born "on the banks of the Yarra" in 1856, we might assume his brother Jim was too, or at least Australian born.

So if "Uncle Jim" started the album in early 1870s, and later passed it onto a keen young nephew Norman then aged 13 as a gift - no surprise there. That happened a lot, as stamp collecting was booming then, and widely encouraged by relatives. :)

Mr. Wemyss T. Gordon, J.P., of Fernhurst Grove, Kew, celebrated his 80th birthday on July 18, 1936. He was born on the Yarra Bank, (in 1856) opposite where John Batman built his first house at the foot of Batman's Hill, Spencer Street. He was educated at Smith's School, in Bank Street, South Melbourne College, and was appointed as assistant Clerk of Petty Sessions at Emerald Hill and Sandridge on April 14, 1874.

After two years he was transferred to the Registrar-General's Office, and then to the Crown Solicitor's
Office, in which he was attached to the Criminal Branch for many years prior to 1918, when he retired. He was a foundation member of the Albert Park Rowing Club, a member of the South Melbourne Lacrosse Club, in which he and his four brothers were prominent players, and a foundation member of the Sailors and Soldiers' Fathers' Association, and designer of their badge.

So album is clearly 100% Australian origin I'd suggest. :)

SG Catalogue value of the very mixed condition stamps inside is about £17,000, and someone mentioned yesterday he was 'thinking' about buying it at $675 - most likely to bust up and list the old stamps on ebay I'd guess, and the plundered album tossed into the bin. Rather sad to see that occur. Anyway, it seems like he is still "thinking" about it! As ALWAYS, the first member to type SOLD gets the goodies. :D

Rod Perry is an advocate for keeping ALL old covers, as they often 'tell a story'. This truly grotty and battered old thing below, I nearly tossed away, as it only contained a few dozen ancient stamps of little note. HOWEVER as we can see - that grotty thing was the absolute KEY to linking this album to her father, and to proving the family being Australian back at least to 1850s and most likely earlier.

Right back to the 1856 birth of Wemyess at least, and his parents presumably arrived some time earlier into Victoria - anyone with https://www.ancestry.com access will certainly be able to determine WHO his parents were, and they may well have been pioneer settlers of Victoria - Melbourne itself only being founded 1834 as we know. Margo worked off her name and street address on old cover, and all the rest later fell into place like a jigsaw puzzle! :lol:

Victoria was of course under NSW control (why ever not!) in this era, and in fact the election for the first Victorian Parliament was held during the spring of 1856, the first Victorian Members of Parliament met on 21 November 1856 in the recently completed Parliament House and were sworn in, and on 25 November 1856 the first Victorian Parliament was officially opened by Acting Governor Major-General Edward Macarthur.

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

I think I'd better buy it Glen. Would be nice to preserve a bit of local history.
So sold to me if its hasn't gone otherwise.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Global Administrator wrote: someone mentioned yesterday he was 'thinking' about buying it at $675 - most likely to bust up and list the old stamps on ebay I'd guess, and the plundered album tossed into the bin. Rather sad to see that occur. Anyway, it seems like he is still "thinking" about it! As ALWAYS, the first member to type SOLD gets the goodies. :D
Rules is Rules. :idea:

A cool piece of Australian stamp history I think Greg .. the earliest stamp album recorded - all yours. :)

Do try and check the records of the Father's parents .. you might well have VERY early Victoria settlers here. Wemyss T. Gordon (born MEL 1856) is luckily a most unusual name and anyone with access to www.ancestry.com will give the history on both his parents. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

Wise purchase, Allanswood.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

There is no way this album will be busted up and tossed. It will go beside the other 1800's albums that I have, just not sourced from Aus.

I have a 1890's GB album and a 1920's Aus album as partners for this one.

I also have one like Rod's (on the other thread) that is a half size landscape style.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

ZEPHYRUS
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by ZEPHYRUS »

Glen , I know rules are rules - However I for one am so happy to see this old historic album album kept in Australia and preserved intact :D

Congratulations Allanswood it is so refreshing to see someone want to keep "old" postal items like this album intact .

Cheers , John.

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

I've been wondering about the long term preservation of the album and stamps.

They are PASTED in the album yes (?) and it looks like I see some foxing/toning on some stamps.

Should one attempt to remove those in particular? Or even can one remove them without harm? Or does that harm the albums' historical integrity as one of and maybe the oldest collection of classics ever formed in Oz?

Thoughts?

(I briefly considered splurging on this before concluding I had no expertise to deal with them and agree the album should remain in the nation where it was created).
I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool. Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

There is no shortage of the common stamps which populate 99.99% of historic stamp albums.

The rarity factor is almost always exclusively confined to intact union of stamps and album.

The earliest intact stamp album formed in an Australian Colony is an 1863 Lallier.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

britjag wrote:
They are PASTED in the album yes (?) and it looks like I see some foxing/toning on some stamps.
No flies on you. The description said, in part - :)
GlenStephens wrote:
Mostly stuck in, as was the normal fashion then, and amazingly, everything in here is a GENUINE stamp pretty much. Many collections of the time were filled with Fournier or Spiro type rough fakes to fill up the spaces. NOT this one. :idea:

Condition all over the place, as always on these ancient lots, with not great stamps to start with in some cases, and some aging creeping in.
In the 1870s stamp hinges were not widely used or available, (especially out here!) and 'sticking in' stamps was the global norm - even into the 20th Century. Often with flour based solutions that soak off readily, but you need to destroy the book to do that. :(

The book is 144 years old. ANYTHING paper based stored in this country for that period, gets foxing, and far moreso than if it were stored in Scotland or Boston etc for 144 years. However we do not get buried in snow for several months a year! A trade-off most here live with happily. :mrgreen:

I often see albums of FDC's etc from the 1990s with foxing, if they were stored anywhere along the eastern seaboard. I've seen new issue material from the 1980s that is good only for the bin etc. And trust me that is NOT uncommon. :idea:

Glen

Somerset
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Somerset »

I know this is breaking the rules - but here goes. Fascinating album and a most intersting story - many thanks for posting it

Paul Thomas
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by Paul Thomas »

Sold to me - Paul Thomas

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Paul .. as should be pretty obvious you are over a week late. Indeed I've had several other folks email me about buying it. :mrgreen:

Only one book, and sold long ago, so this is locked away. :idea:

Glen

Return to “Sold lots, or threads moved by mods as they did not qualify via the rules”