Which new issue postage stamps in the USA should I buy??

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

staampv
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Which new issue postage stamps in the USA should I buy??

Post by staampv »

I'm new to collecting, and am curious about purchasing stamps from the post office. I'm in the United States.

What is your approach to buying new stamps? Do you buy and collect every new stamp that is issued? Do you buy a certain number to keep, and others to use? When you go to a post office, do you let them know you're a collector, does that make a difference? Do postal employees like collectors? :)

Also, I've joined a couple stamp boards recently and people are really friendly and have asked for my address to send me stamps. Is it a good idea to have a post office box instead of giving out a personal mailing address?

Thanks!

FSAMAAA
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Visiting the Post Office

Post by FSAMAAA »

If you search for "how to collect", you'll see a lot of different answers to your question, and ultimately, it boils down to what your collecting interests are. There are as many ways to collect stamps as there are people who collect stamps.

I will say that, based on my experience in the NE part of the state (I'm in a suburb of Kansas City), you aren't going to find most new issues at your local PO. You'll need to order them direct from USA Philatelic. We're fortunate here that those are all stored and sent locally from the caves, so they don't take much time to arrive.

Also, I maintain a box at my local UPS store, not so much to keep my anonymity, but to ensure that someone is always around to sign for packages. I have as much sent there as possible, so that I don't have to worry that inclement weather will have an effect on anything in my mailbox.

Welcome to StampBoards! Like most things in life, you are going to find things that interest you and things that don't. You'll also find a wide spectrum of people on here as well, with a strong tradition of helping educate and inform.

Rob

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Stampbaords! :)

I will try to answer most of your questions in the below quote.
staampv wrote:
16 Oct 2020 03:34
I'm new to collecting, and am curious about purchasing stamps from the post office. I'm in the United States.

What is your approach to buying new stamps?

I only buy new stamps for giveaways, contests and cover/postcard exchanges. I do not collect current mint stamps. Unless, they are recalled due to a printing error (if I can find them). :mrgreen:

Do you buy and collect every new stamp that is issued?

I only purchase new stamp for exchanges, giveaways and contests.

Do you buy a certain number to keep, and others to use?

I only buy new issues that I need for giveaways, contests and cover/postcard exchanges.

When you go to a post office, do you let them know you're a collector, does that make a difference?

I have been mailing covers/postcards for a number of years. As a result, I know many different PO clerks at different POs. That said, when I go into a PO that I have never visited and I would like to get a hand cancel on the cover/postcard that I am mailing I do let them know that I am a collector. Here, in Canada most (but not all) will let you cancel the stamps with their datestamp (now with covid-19 it's a little more challenging).

Do postal employees like collectors? :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but from my experience if you are nice and friendly to the PO employees and you get to know them (over a period of time) they will return the favour :).

Also, I've joined a couple stamp boards recently and people are really friendly and have asked for my address to send me stamps. Is it a good idea to have a post office box instead of giving out a personal mailing address?

I do not have a PO Box because I do not have any issues with giving out my personal mailing address. Why? Well, over the years I have got to know my collecting friends and I am comfortable with giving my mailing address to them. :)

Thanks!
I hope that this was helpful to you. :)

Enjoy your new hobby!
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the October 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the October 2020 Postcard Exchange

staampv

Post by staampv »

Thank you both - these are great responses. I felt pretty dumb asking what are probably basic questions. In future, I'll do more searching before posting.

I've lived near Kansas City for about 8 years, and had *no clue* there was such a thing as Stamp Fulfillment Services, and "the cave." Now I'm fascinated.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

FSAMAAA wrote:
16 Oct 2020 08:23

Also, I maintain a box at my local UPS store, not so much to keep my anonymity, but to ensure that someone is always around to sign for packages. I have as much sent there as possible, so that I don't have to worry that inclement weather will have an effect on anything in my mailbox.
Can confirm I have sent some pretty pricey material to this address, and all arrived with no hitches. :lol:

Having a PO Box type arrangement if you are buying stamps of value is a SUER smart idea and I cannot stress too highly the benefits of that.

Just sendings being exposed to rain or snow can heavily damage mint stamps. :!:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

AMark

Post by AMark »

staampv wrote:
16 Oct 2020 11:13
Thank you both - these are great responses. I felt pretty dumb asking what are probably basic questions. In future, I'll do more searching before posting.
staampv,

No need to feel dumb about asking these questions. Everyone was at the beginning of their collecting journey and did not know everything about their collection or philately in general. I am learning something new about this hobby all the time. :)
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the October 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the October 2020 Postcard Exchange

stallzer

Re: How to buy new issue postage stamps in the USA?

Post by stallzer »

My old postmaster loved that I collected stamps and postal history. Not sure about the new guy, haven’t met him due to covid. The 1st rule of collecting is there are no rules. You can collect any year, any country, any theme.

If you like birds, then collect stamps with birds. If you like new US issues, then collect them. Collect the stamps that appeal to you and that you’ll enjoy looking at over and over. Don’t worry about value unless you are purchasing.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

First, rule of stamp collecting: buy what you like. Do not feel compelled to buy anything for any other reason.

That is all.

Have fun!

At some — usually smaller post offices — clerks are helpful to collectors; but here in LA, for example, most couldn’t care less, won’t provide a hand cancel and are generally ignorant about the product they’re selling.

Sad.
I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool. Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

TrinityB
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by TrinityB »

I had the same questions, thanks for the responses. I think that the thought of collecting a “theme” of the newer stamps makes sense.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

britjag wrote:
19 Oct 2020 02:41
First, rule of stamp collecting: buy what you like. Do not feel compelled to buy anything for any other reason.

That is all.

Have fun!
A good rule for stamp collecting...

...and an even better one for LIFE. :idea:

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”