Reg. Aust Air mail 6d OS Cairns - Shanghai 1934 info wanted

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jkrabbenbos
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Reg. Aust Air mail 6d OS Cairns - Shanghai 1934 info wanted

Post by jkrabbenbos »

I have the following cover, which was in an auction lot with other air mail covers. As Australia is outside my knowledge and I do not have catalogues for these at hands, can anybody tell me if this is something special?

According to the seller the route Cairns - Shanghai was the most interesting part, at least to him. But to me the cover is a bit shabby, the stamp shows foxing and the cancels are not sharp.

Front:
AussieAirMailOSFront800.png
Back:
AussieAirMailOSBack800.png
Does the 'Duplicate' on the back mean that there was another cover send through other means? More or less equal to the 1700s where multiple copies of a letter were sent with different ships, to make at least one copy arrived at the sender.

I searched the forum, did find some information and references on the 6d OS Air Mail stamp, but it did not fit into any of those threads.

Also good to know: is there is any value in this cover? And if so, what would be a reasonable price for the forum?

Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

Temora22
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Reg. Aus. Air mail OS Cairns - Shanghai 1934 info wanted

Post by Temora22 »

Jan,

I believe your cover has gone via surface (i.e. sea) mail. Australia did not have a regular external air mail service until December 1934.

The 6d OS air mail stamp, unlike other OS stamps, was available to the public. It could be used for general purposes; not just for air mail. On your cover it is paying the 3d foreign letter surface rate plus 3d registration fee.

The Australian post office offered a "duplicate" service during WWII. I'm not aware of a similar service during the 1930s. The sender of your cover may have despatched an "original" at an earlier date.

This is not my collecting period so I won't venture an opinion as to value. Factors to consider would include:

1. condition (as you have noted)

2.the 6d OS air mail stamp is likely to be a difficult stamp to find as a solo franking on a commercial cover.

3. China is an uncommon destination for Australian mail during the 1930s.

Perhaps interested collectors could contact you with offers.

Kind regards,

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

CV on cover is $275.

As stated by Temora22, the destination may add to the potential interest, but the condition is a real value killer.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Temora22

Post by Temora22 »

I generally take the ACSC "on cover" valuations cum grano salis.

They may be a reasonable indication of relative scarcity but many seem to me be overstated. Others may disagree!

Regards,

jkrabbenbos

Post by jkrabbenbos »

Thanks Temora and The Pom for the information.

Anyone who's interested in the cover, can message or mail me. In the meantime I will store it somewhere safe.
Kind regards,
Jan

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Temora22 wrote:
05 May 2021 19:07
I generally take the ACSC "on cover" valuations cum grano salis.

They may be a reasonable indication of relative scarcity but many seem to me be overstated. Others may disagree!

Regards,
I think the hand of the late Rod Perry can be seen in some of the generous pricing. Rod's incredible enthusiasm for the subject led him, on occasion, down a path of "this is what I think it ought to be worth, because it's hard to find", rather than "this is what the market is paying".
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Re: Reg. Aust Air mail 6d OS Cairns - Shanghai 1934 info wanted

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

The sender (Les Wright) was a well known aerophilatelist who worked for the Cairns Council.

Definitely written by him as I have a number of aero covers he sent out for the 1934 Charles Ulm flight to New Guinea and Papua and the writing is exactly the same.

There aren’t any first flights to Singapore listed in the AAMC for this period nor are there any intermediate stops on other first flights listed, also there is nothing on the cover to indicate it was ever flown.

Based on that it was no doubt sent by sea, perhaps to another aero collector.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

jkrabbenbos

Re: Reg. Aust Air mail 6d OS Cairns - Shanghai 1934 info wanted

Post by jkrabbenbos »

Tony, that is interesting info.

I did a quick search for the receiver, but I struggle with the part before 'Mulder'. Is 'Mr F.J.' or 'Ms T.J.'. Anyways, I found that there was a Karel Frederik Mulder in Shanghai in the 1930s. He was a business man, journalist and amateur photographer and became known for his photos of the Japanese invasion.

See https://www.iias.asia/the-newsletter/article/shanghai-under-siege for more information. The question is of course if the receiver of the letter was a family member of this business man. He did have a daughter with the first name Tineke.
Kind regards,
Jan

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”