"Are these worth anything?" - these old German revenue stamps?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

cere-sear-seer-sere
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

"Are these worth anything?" - these old German revenue stamps?

Post by cere-sear-seer-sere »

Hi, all --

This is a "how much are these things worth" question, and I am a beginner, so I'm posting this here.

Among my inherited stamps I found this page of early German revenue stamps. I don't know that I'm interested in collecting revenue stamps -- I mean, maybe I will be?

But they aren't my highest priority at the moment. So I'm curious to discover their value in case they are worth my while to sell. I haven't found many comps in eBay sales, and Colnect scores (while high) assert low confidence.

I'm aware that there are specialized catalogs like those of Martin Erler. However, they are not available within any library anywhere near me, I don't know which of the ten-odd volumes I'd have to buy online if I were to try to acquire the appropriate catalog, and I don't know how relevant these decades-old printed catalogs are to current value anyway.

old German revenue stamps
old German revenue stamps

First off, I realize these are in terrible shape! So my first question -- and here it should be clear that I'm a beginner, if it weren't already -- is what I should do to best preserve them from here on out. If their conditions render all of them worthless, despite what I imagine is their relative rarity, that would be good to know, too.

I've been able to identify some of them on Colnect. For example, these 1 groschen stamps here (though differing from each other in shade)....
1 groschen 1872(?) German revenue stamps
1 groschen 1872(?) German revenue stamps

...appear to be this 1872 stamp, described as "Forbin DR WS1B": https://colnect.com/en/stamps/stamp/986969-Value_in_oval-Rev ... rman_Realm

From the same series, 3 groschen, 4.5 groschen, and 6 groschen:
1872 Germany revenue stamp - 3 groschen
1872 Germany revenue stamp - 3 groschen
1872 Germany revenue stamp - 4 1/2 groschen
1872 Germany revenue stamp - 4 1/2 groschen
1872 Germany revenue stamp - 6 groschen
1872 Germany revenue stamp - 6 groschen
The Colnect rating for all of these ranges from 92-95%, which I understand to mean that these are potentially valuable stamps (in better condition!).

Then there are these three older North German Confederation (?) revenue stamps:
North German Confederation (?) revenue stamps
North German Confederation (?) revenue stamps
One appears to be hand cancelled in 1870, one in 1871, and the third I can't read. They don't appear to be in quite as bad shape, though still a bit rough. I haven't found these North German revenue stamps online yet.

The bulk of the page contains a near complete series of 1875 revenue stamps, from .10 marks up to 4.5 marks (missing are the 6 and 9 marks stamps) as listed here: https://colnect.com/en/stamps/list/country/530-German_Realm/year/1875/emission/29-Revenue

There's also an 1881 0.4 marks stamp (https://colnect.com/en/stamps/stamp/1085692-Bill_of_exchange ... rman_Realm):
1881 Germany revenue stamp - .4 marks
1881 Germany revenue stamp - .4 marks

And finally, a mystery to me -- French overprint and a non-Roman script on the stamp:
unidentified revenue stamp(?)
unidentified revenue stamp(?)

Anyone know what this is?

Are any or all of these stamps rare and/or valuable in non-foxed condition? And since we're dealing with the reality of their condition, do they have any value as is?

All insights appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

c.s.s.s
Last edited by cere-sear-seer-sere on 20 Jul 2021 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: "Are these worth anything?" - the old German revenue stamp edition

Post by kuikka »

I suppose the last one could be Ottoman empire newspaper revenue or something similar. The text is not overprint but the stamp has been affixed to blank paper before printing and the 'overprint' is small part of the text that appeared on the paper, making the revenue stamp cancelled.

The stamp appears to be upside down.

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Yep. We talked about it before:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=6930282#p6930282

Answer to the question between the quotes: minimal, if any.

cere-sear-seer-sere

Thanks for catching the upside-down orientation, kuikka.

And thanks for pointing me to that thread, Number-O-Ne. I just scanned through it and I didn't see my exact stamp, but I'm assuming that it is similar to some of those Ottoman revenues? And if I could tease out a little more detail from your answer to the question between the quotes, is the value minimal because of the German revenue stamps' condition, or irrespective of their condition?

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

I was only talking about the Ottoman Empire revenue. The condition is not good, and the stamp is a common one.

cere-sear-seer-sere

Got it -- common Ottoman revenue stamp in heavily distressed condition = no joy. Thanks for clarifying!

Hoping someone might be intimately familiar with the North German Confed. and first German Empire revenues!

And if I've posted this thread in the wrong place -- if it belongs in Cinderellas or elsewhere -- please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Sargonnas

Post by Sargonnas »

I'm not that familiar with the German states but I did take a look if I could find them on sale and most are worth almost nothing. The North German stamps go around for about €3.00 - €4.50 per stamp

Also, alot is explained in this thread:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=94964

cere-sear-seer-sere

Thanks, Sargonnas. I hadn't found many realized sales for these online. The thread you linked to is very informative.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”