I need help to find stamps related to "John Newbery" (UK)

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

CHOCO886
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

I need help to find stamps related to "John Newbery" (UK)

Post by CHOCO886 »

Hi everyone, I am a total Newbie on stamp collecting.

I am looking for some stamps for a long time. But just can't find anyone.

Could you please help me - about this man:

John Newbery (9 July 1713 – 22 December 1767), considered "The Father of Children's Literature", was an English publisher.

Thank you so much.

~CHOCO886 from Taipei

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: I need help to find stamps related to "John Newbery" (UK)

Post by norvic »

What makes you think that what you are looking for exists?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Also, please define what do you mean by "related to"?

Another member, Vicaf60, collects Olympic related stamps. His definition is much broader than usual. That also means he has to do his own detective work to find what stamps there are that meet his definition.

In your case "related to" could mean for example books published by him. If that is your definition, then you should provide as complete list as possible of those books which you count as "related to" him.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Go easy on a new member people, the thread title was "tidied up". :|

I had a look online and cannot find any stamps that mention him. Perhaps a Cinderella exists?

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Just in case I came accross anything else than friendly, I must apologize.

If the "related to" wording was not part of original title of the post, may be our new member should consider on that possibility. If he doesn't appear on stamps, there may still be some stamps that tell his story.

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Wow, yes would certainly make an interesting field for philatelic research.

Now if you have deep pockets, I'm sure there could be the occasional cover addressed to him – but surely such things would be in a museum exhibition?

In any case, do tell us what you mean by "related to" as there may well be stuff out there more in relation to the Newbery award medal for children's literature too, or publishing colleagues, rather than the man specifically.

Try signing up to – and keep an eye out by regular monthly searching – to https://stampauctionnetwork.com/auctions.cfm.

This is a website that contains listings from auction houses around the world, allowing you to search for across multiple auction catalogues at once. Very useful!

Derbyboi2
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Derbyboi2 »

As a start it would help for you to look for stamps which are related to the children's books and author's he published.

Dr Johnson, Oliver Goldsmith etc etc.

An interesting project which could expand with research.

One of his children's scientific book titles mentions Newton who has been depicted many times on stamps.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Wikipedia
John Newbery (9 July 1713 – 22 December 1767), considered "The Father of Children's Literature", was an English publisher of books who first made children's literature a sustainable and profitable part of the literary market.[1] He also supported and published the works of Christopher Smart, Oliver Goldsmith and Samuel Johnson. In recognition of his achievements the Newbery Medal was named after him in 1922.[2]

About one-fifth of the five hundred books Newbery produced were children's stories, including ABC books, children's novels and children's magazines.[4] He published his own books as well as those by authors like Samuel Johnson and Oliver Goldsmith. Scholars have speculated that Goldsmith[11]: 36  or Giles and Griffith Jones[12] wrote The History of Little Goody Two-Shoes, Newbery's most popular book. It had 29 editions between 1765 and 1800.[12] Some sources credit Newbery with publishing the first edition of Mother Goose in England,[13] but others now say the book may have been planned, but was never actually produced.[14] Newbery also published a series of books written by "Tom Telescope" that were wildly popular, going through seven editions between 1761 and 1787 alone.[12] These were based on the emerging science of the day and consisted of a series of lectures given by a boy, Tom Telescope. The most famous is The Newtonian System of Philosophy Adapted to the Capacities of Young Gentlemen and Ladies.

John Newbery died 22 December 1767, in Islington, north London. He is buried in his birthplace of Waltham Saint Lawrence.[3]: 203 

Patent medicine[edit]
Newbery's prosperity did not just come from publishing; he was one of the most successful merchants in England at the time.[15] Some of his fortune came from the patent and sales of Dr Robert James's Fever Powder, a medicine which claimed to cure the gout, rheumatism, scrofula, scurvy, leprosy, and distemper in cattle.[4] This product became successful due in part to Newbery's advertisements for it in his literature. In Goody Two-Shoes, the heroine's father dies because he was "seized with a violent fever in a place where Dr James Fever Powder was not to be had."[16]

Bestselling Newbery books

A ccording to the New Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature (NCBEL 2.120), Newbery "wrote, wholly or partly" and "edited or materially influenced" the following works:

Mother Goose's Melody[13]
A Little Pretty Pocket-Book (1744) by M. F. Thwaite and John Newbery
The Newtonian System of Philosophy (1761) by Tom Telescope, John Newbery, and Oliver Goldsmith
The Renowned History of Giles Gingerbread (1764)
The History of Little Goody Two-Shoes (1765) by John Newbery (perhaps written with Oliver Goldsmith)
The entertaining history of Tommy Gingerbread: a little boy, who lived upon learning[18]
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Somerset
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Somerset »

Stamps showing Johnson and Goldsmith have probably been issued. There must be a lot of stamps showing "Mother Goose".

A full list of the works he published may show some other translations which have been on stamps, though you will have to consider that titles may not have been translated literally

CHOCO886

Post by CHOCO886 »

Allanswood wrote:
19 Sep 2021 18:47
Go easy on a new member people, the thread title was "tidied up". :|

I had a look online and cannot find any stamps that mention him. Perhaps a Cinderella exists?

Sorry, I didn't express it clearly.
I was looking for a stamp with his portrait.

Thank you for your tolerance for new stamp collectors. :)

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I doubt very much that there is a stamp with his portrait.

norvic

Post by norvic »

He has never been considered worthy of a British stamp - not surprising, as I have never heard of him and I doubt many people outside academia have.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

I am not aware of any stamps bearing his portrait.

Books on him, yes :

lf.jpg
John Newbery - Father of Children's Literature - By Shirley Granahan

The American Literary Association do John Newbery awards ...
I'm sure some of the previous winners will have featured on stamps, (although not with his portrait).

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

It doesn't help with the portrait issue, and it would definitely fall under the category of a label, but I believe the ALA referenced above does sell copies of the actual medal as seals/stickers that could make a nice addition to an exhibit or a collection about him. Not sure if this is intended to be the man himself or not, but this is what one of the medals looks like: :)

Newbery Honor (awarded to each year's runners-up for the full medal)
Newbery Honor (awarded to each year's runners-up for the full medal)
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

Phila-Tourist

Post by Phila-Tourist »

I did a keyword search for "Newbery" in the online MICHEL catalogue. This catalogue lists every stamp ever issued by every country in the world, and describes (very briefly) what is shown on each stamp.

The only Newberys on stamps are an aviation pioneer and an Australian swimmer...

Of course the MICHEL descriptions may be incomplete or even wrong, but chances are no stamp exists with his portrait. I cannot rule out that somewhere in the world there is a stamp where he or one of his books is a minor element in the overall stamp design, though. The keyword search of stamp descriptions is not fine enough to find such results.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

If the man in the medal is him, he may appear on some of the stamps issued in honor of medal winners.

CHOCO886

Post by CHOCO886 »

Phila-Tourist wrote:
20 Sep 2021 10:47
I did a keyword search for "Newbery" in the online MICHEL catalogue. This catalogue lists every stamp ever issued by every country in the world, and describes (very briefly) what is shown on each stamp.

The only Newberys on stamps are an aviation pioneer and an Australian swimmer...

Of course the MICHEL descriptions may be incomplete or even wrong, but chances are no stamp exists with his portrait. I cannot rule out that somewhere in the world there is a stamp where he or one of his books is a minor element in the overall stamp design, though. The keyword search of stamp descriptions is not fine enough to find such results.
I am very grateful for your help.
I bought a signed first day cover a while ago, which opened my interest in collecting children's book stamps.

圖7_9.jpg
Last edited by BigSaint on 20 Sep 2021 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Place In Line used to remove wording attachments

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Well, I sure hope that GB post is reading this. Sounds like a great idea for a new commemorative issue!

norvic

Post by norvic »

Catweazle wrote:
20 Sep 2021 16:59
Well, I sure hope that GB post is reading this. Sounds like a great idea for a new commemorative issue!
Really? When nobody has heard of him? At least the people who have been commemorated are known - not all of them well-known, granted. One example of ‘people’ stamp issue.

Set of 6 stamps:
1st class - Millicent Garrett Fawcett
48p - Elizabeth Garrett Anderson
50p - Marie Stopes
56p - Eleanor Rathbone
72p - Claudia Jones
81p - Barbara Castle

‘Women of Distinction’ se issued by GB 14.10.08
‘Women of Distinction’ se issued by GB 14.10.08

CHOCO886

Post by CHOCO886 »

norvic wrote:
19 Sep 2021 18:22
What makes you think that what you are looking for exists?
I used to teach children to read in elementary school.
So I know some important children’s literature awards.
Just like the attached picture.
(The Lindgren Prize has a prize of up to 550,000 Euros)

The Newbury Award is also an important award at YA novel.
But I searched for a long time, didn’t find his stamp.
So ask for help here.
Attachments
921.jpg

furballx
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by furballx »

I did not know that Dr Seuss had a stamp issue.

I wonder how many people know that the man who wrote children's stories teaching racial tolerance (The Sneetches) made his way during the first half of WWII as an anti-isolationist propaganda cartoonist in the USA? Some of his cartoons of the period were a very long way from tolerant. For those who are interested I highly recommend the book "Dr Seuss Goes To War". It is quite an eye opener.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

norvic wrote:
20 Sep 2021 17:25
Catweazle wrote:
20 Sep 2021 16:59
Really? When nobody has heard of him? At least the people who have been commemorated are known - not all of them well-known, granted. One example of ‘people’ stamp issue.

Set of 6 stamps:
50p - Marie Stopes
56p - Eleanor Rathbone
72p - Claudia Jones
81p - Barbara Castle

That set includes three people I've never heard of, and the odious Castle so why not John Newbery?

polisciguy2011

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Admittedly I'm American and not British, but I'd heard of Newbery (because of the eponymous literary medal) but not anyone but Castle from that set of stamps.
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

norvic

Post by norvic »

Brief descriptions from Wikipedia

Millicent Garrett was born in Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England. As a suffragist, she took a moderate line, but was a tireless campaigner, concentrating much of her energy on the struggle to improve women's opportunities for higher education. In 1871, she co-founded Newnham College, Cambridge. She later became president of the National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies (the NUWSS), a position she held from 1897 until 1919.

Dr. Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, LSA, MD (June 9, 1836 - December 17, 1917), was an English physician and feminist, the first woman to gain a medical qualification in Britain.

50p - Marie Stopes
Marie Stopes (October 15, 1880 - October 2, 1958) was a Scottish author, eugenicist, campaigner for women's rights and pioneer in the field of family planning. Stopes edited the journal Birth Control News which gave anatomically explicit advice, and in addition to her enthusiasm for protests at places of worship this provoked protest from both the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church. Her sex manual Married Love, which was written while she was still a virgin, was controversial and influential.

56p - Eleanor Rathbone
Eleanor Florence Rathbone (May 12, 1872 - January 2, 1946) was an Independent British Member of Parliament and long-term campaigner for women's rights.

72p - Claudia Jones
Claudia Jones (February 15, 1915-December 24, 1964) was born in Belmont, Port of Spain, Trinidad. She was a feminist, Black Nationalist, political activist, community leader, journalist, and communist in the U.S.. She is also remembered in the UK as 'the mother of Notting Hill Carnival'. As a result of the post-war cocoa price crash in Trinidad, when she was eight years old, she moved to Harlem, New York. She went on to win the Theodore Roosevelt Award for Good Citizenship at her junior high school.

81p - Barbara Castle
Barbara Castle (October 6, 1910 - May 3, 2002) was a British left-wing politician, born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire (and brought up in Pontefract and Bradford, Yorkshire), who adopted her family's politics, joining the Labour Party. Elected to Parliament in 1945, she rose to become one of the most important Labour party politicians of the twentieth century.

yellowduck
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by yellowduck »

polisciguy2011 wrote:
22 Sep 2021 13:02
I'd heard of Newbery (because of the eponymous literary medal) but not anyone but Castle from that set of stamps.
The same for me. I have heard of the Newbery Award for books. Always assumed it was named after someone American; never really thought abbout who Newbery was.

Don't know any of the 6 women in the British set. They did good work, and that's something to celebrate on stamps.

JonR
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by JonR »

gavin-h wrote:
22 Sep 2021 01:47
That set includes three people I've never heard of, and the odious Castle so why not John Newbery?
Why does Barbara Castle deserve a description of “odious”?

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

JonR wrote:
24 Sep 2021 22:18
gavin-h wrote:
22 Sep 2021 01:47
Why does Barbara Castle deserve a description of “odious”?
How long have you got. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”