Self-Adhesive stamps - How do you collect them?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

dwillard
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Self-Adhesive stamps - How do you collect them?

Post by dwillard »

With the new adhesive stamps - how do you collect them? is it worthwhile?

Now you have to buy an entire sheet of 20 stamps for $11.60 per sheet.

Are we to mount the entire sheet?

What about the individual stamps? this is getting pricey.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 12 Oct 2021 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members and moved to CORRECT Forum
Crowsnestidaho
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Adhesive stamps - How do you collect?

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Lately I am using lighter fluid (outside please) to release adhesive. Separate and dry. I then place them on cellophane and trim carefully. This only for postally used stamps. For new I buy sheets and use the ones around the ones I wish to save and also join swap or exchange group to use the remainder.

Remember it is your collection and your way of doing it. And it is also your budget. Just enjoy and have fun.

Don :D
Hankmccoy
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Self-Adhesive stamps - How do you collect them?

Post by Hankmccoy »

I'm just trimming them myself, I tried the lighter fluid trick and all I seemed to do wreck stuff and leave myself stinking of lighter fluid.
Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

It helps a lot to wear a latex or nitro glove while separating them. I also keep the solution in a capped container and remove the soaked stamp one at a time. This saves on fluid and smell.

I leave them in the soak four or five minutes.

Some adhesives desolve and can be wiped off with a soft well used clean cotton cloth. I seem to remember hearing somewhere about there being five different types of self adhesives used on stamps.

Turn the stamp face down and wipe from the center to each corner. If adhesive does not wipe off easily it probably won’t even with repeated soaking.

Another hit. I learned by sad experience that pulling the paper off a flat held stamp is always best. Some stamps do not take well to being folded while soaked in lighter fluid.
(Bestine rubber cement thinner is better but a little more costly)

Once the fluid has evaporated from the stamp, place on cellophane about five mm or so apart and place flat with a little weight on them overnight before trimming.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Given the difficulties of removing used self-adhesives from paper, I strongly suspect that in years to come ALL the major catalogues will list - and value - them as "Used on piece". ;)

In the meantime I suggest that the way to collect them is to leave on piece with a neatly-trimmed narrow (5mm / ¼in) border. :idea:

If I'm right, I've just saved a lot of you a lot of effort and agony. If I'm wrong, you can always remove later (and come back and haunt me...) :mrgreen:
librarianc
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by librarianc »

Many of my clients are thrilled when they find I have foreign self-adhesive stamps in my stock that are soaked. The stamps come from estates or bulk lots that I have acquired.

Having said that, most of the clients I’ve spoken with at shows or club meetings say that they do a close trim on those foreign self-adhesive stamps to place in their albums.

While the time, cost and effort is certainly rewarding, it is just not recognized by many collectors as worthwhile.

Years from now, the properly soaked self-adhesive stamps may be more desirable (similar to the debate/feelings about straight edge classic stamps).

Fortunately, most Canadian self-adhesive stamps soak easily.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!
Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

So do most German, Netherland, Denmark and Austrian stamps. I have found those from Ireland, UK, and, of course, USA to be the most stubborn. However, I have been able to successfully save several of those stamps from the UK with the special oval roulette cut on the lower half.

Butchie
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Butchie »

For those who dare I think this solution will quickly cause you to lose the fear of self adhesive stamps. I had tried every solvent made with mostly disastrous results or failure. Then I tried d-limonene. The stuff from hobby shops must not be pure enough & will not work either. I had to buy pharmaceutical/food grade on line. Flalab.com. It’s cheap & it works.

With the exception of one incident involving two more recent French Marianne stamps I have had zero problems with damage or color degradation. I have even applied it directly to the face of stamps that have been placed on plastic that is impervious with more than successful results. Self on a self. Warning when applying it to the stamp face you may get cancel smear.

Every country will work a little different but most of the time the stamp will peal in less than a minute but will leave the adhesive on the stamp. For those I rub corn starch into the back & successfully kills it with no talc static cling. I think the fluid gets weaker from contamination from use so I put a small amount in a container & apply it liberally to the back cover material with a q-tip then pitch any remainder. S

et aside. I do 20-30 at a time then go back to the first. In many cases if I leave them sit for a period of time up to an hour maybe 50% of the stamps will fall off the cover with zero adhesive left on the stamp. Time varied by country with some leaving adhesive every time.

Try it.
Attachments
C9CA1FF8-F432-4771-A6D9-9BD856BEE1C0.jpeg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 23 Oct 2021 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.
Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

I think everyone's "gone off on a tangent". The OP was asking about mint stamps and the expense to try and get one example, not used, when it seems they have to buy a whole sheet each time.

We have a very log running thread on getting self adhesive stamps off paper already.

12 pages worth.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15259&hilit=self+adhesive

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
librarianc

Post by librarianc »

Thanks, Greg.

I bought in to incorrect answer, so my apologies to dwillard.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!
Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

I also add my apology for the sidetracking.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

dwillard wrote: 12 Oct 2021 08:53 .
With the new adhesive stamps - how do you collect them? is it worthwhile?
One think I'd rule out from the start is "collecting modern MINT, from the post office".

Every week, I attend auctions where people have spent £££ on the stamps, probably £££ on the storage, and yet the fully paid up cost to me is "as little as 25% of current face value"...... They are just discount postage, and we are awash with them.

If you have the urge to collect mint, then collect "mint US dollar bills".
.... Sure, they all look a bit samey, but they'll always be worth a dollar.

One thing no one really comments on about self adhesive is that "the glue will eventually fail", and by that I mean "probably go a nasty yellow, and fail to adhere the stamp to the letter" (making them unsuitable for postage use).

Self adhesives from 1980's booklet are now tiring, and beginning to fail "like the address labels of the 1970's".
It's definitely something to watch out for, "if you plan long term storage of self adhesives" (even on their original backing paper).

First day covers is also a very costly route to go (negative returns) .... I can think of very few examples where "a modern FDC is worth more than the value of the stamps on it" (and that's amongst the thousands of others "that won't realise 25% of face value").

The current issuing policies of these sticker factories "produce excessive volumes of varieties", so to cover all bases, as you note, is "a very expensive proposition, with very little chance of financial return".

If, however, you decide that this array of stamps gives you "Joy of ownership", (in that you can accept there is a cost of consumption ..... "like buying a monthly magazine"), then you still need to be selective, and make sure you use all your excesses for postage a.s.a.p.

Due to the upfront costs involved in collecting modern, quite a few collectors I know "stick to used copies", (especially on cover), or selections from auction lots (which tend to lag about three years behind current issues).

To keep up with "this years issues" is a pipe dream for many, although there must still be some modern collectors out there, as next weeks auction lots will attest!!

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

One way I collect self-adhesive U.S. on cover
One way I collect self-adhesive U.S. on cover
U.S. self-adhesive are notoriously difficult to remove from a cover; most of the time I don’t bother (I also keep entire covers if not too mangled or are particularly interesting).

Knowing when and where a stamp was mailed is part of the attraction for me.

And I would probably poison or burn myself to death trying to use various solvents etc. to get them off envelopes! :shock:

Used Spain are also problematic; most Canada self-adhesive seem to come off covers with just the usual very hot bath.

I suspect used modern will soon be “worth” more than mint to collectors given the reduced quantities of mail plus lack of usage of commemoratives.
My address has changed and is available upon request. I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool. Want list - http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag
texnatl

Post by texnatl »

I have given up collecting modern US stamps. If by some odd chance I find a stamp (like the recent train stamps).I use most of the sheet for postage then the plate block, or in some cases just a single corner stamps gets trimmed with the backing as best as possible. Then I put them in a clear Show Guard mount then in my album(s). There are so many wonderful stamps that are not self adhesive who needs the headache? Thankfully many countries I like AAT, BAT,BIOT, Ross Dependency, FSAT, Vatican don't have self adhesives. There is only so much money in my world, I have to live on a budget. Because of that sad fact I have plenty to collect that do not cause me a headache.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

britjag wrote: 23 Oct 2021 03:32 U.S. self-adhesive are notoriously difficult to remove from a cover.

I think keeping them on cover is "the better solution", but they cartainly are not hard to "lift", if you want to put them on "old album sheet" backing.

lift_A_small.jpg
Random recent USA stamps "To lift"

"A quick squirt of lighter fuel (and about three minutes later) ......

lift_B_small.jpg
Random recent USA stamps, on old black album backing

These can then "be trimmed tightly", but are always easily identifiable as self stick "because of their surround".

(Or you can use an "Econo-Pry" tool, to remove all the gum, and just mount them conventionally).

econo-pry.jpg
Econo-Pry Tool (widely available)

If I was collecting modern mint (perish the thought!), I'd definitely be looking at unfranked supplies, which are available "as low as 5% of face value, but more likely 25%"). :lol:

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”