Selling Australia Post Stamp Albums

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jen 20
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Selling Australia Post Stamp Albums

Post by jen 20 »

Wondered if anyone can give me advice on how to sell a set of Australia post annual collection of stamps i.e. 1981 to 2020 all in as new condition.

Is ebay the only option but very tedious selling them one by one? Dealers only want last 5 years.

DarrenK
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Selling Australia Post Stamp Albums

Post by DarrenK »

I am a member of several stamp clubs and they come up regularly in the auctions. Most bring 50 - 60% of face (with some exceptions) so I would start with those sort of expectations rather than thinking you will get above face value.

After fees etc on Ebay you won't end up with a lot and they will generally not sell quickly. Sending them to an auction house will cost a lot in fees also and I think the sell price would be in a similar range.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to sell for a good price quickly, but if you do find one, please let us all know as I have 3 sets running to about 2010 in boxes to move on and I'm sure many others will have others to sell.

You could list them here once you have reached the post and time requirements.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Thanks for info guess I am learning the hard way. But am surprised that last 5 years are not selling at greater than face value given the prices dealers are asking. The 2018 issue at least has some value... someone must like finches!

These books are so beautiful, but without the stamps the story that the text tells does not hold together, maybe I could just photocopy stamps and sell off real ones for postage at a discount, but so tedious to do. If I did this I would keep 2018 album intact and sell it off for about $250. I would also keep other special issues from 2004 onwards to sell of separately at a reasonable profit. I feel 2020 issue will eventually sell at a $60-70 premium but not for a few years.

DarrenK

Post by DarrenK »

2018 is the exception and the later ones will bring more than the earlier ones.

Check on SOLD items on Ebay and see what they are selling for and not what people are listing them for. I've seen people asking 50% of stamp value for the empty albums. One suspects they haven't done any research at all. I guess that is why there is a "dreamer" thread although that isn't anything near as extreme as most listed there.
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

towradji
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by towradji »

DarrenK has given good advice.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

do you know why the 2018 issue is so scarce? Do people just love finches!! I asked Australia post why no special stamp in 2020 issue and they said that the new format is the special feature... now if there had been no stamp error would the so called special feature have warranted any premium???

Thanks for telling me to check sold info on ebay, is there a specific category for stamps/albums??

As I am new to stamp collecting are there other good discussion sites that I can join, perhaps ones you already belong to. I like to get a range of opinions

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Find a reason to mail a lot of parcels, and job done. Best return you will get.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

don't quite follow this comment are you saying I should use all the stamps from 1981 to the present for parcels or letters? If so they have a face value of $2290 so should manage a few more parcels perhaps?? :lol:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yep, to repeat very, very clearly, again, that is your your BEST possible return.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

I am new to this so forgive my questions Glen.

I visited your website and found the following information.

You offer albums for the period 1981 to 2000 at the discount price of $1445.
The next 13 years, including the 2020 price do not appear to have a discount advertised so I have simply added up the sell price and that comes to $2525. All up that totals $3970 for the lot...perhaps you would discount a complete order a little more but still!!. I note someone on ebay seems to have done same calculation and is flogging the full set for $3900...yes I doubt they will get it, better to sell in batches. The later albums will sell better.

Now capitalism is fine by me and you are free to charge whatever you wish and good luck to you but you would have to agree its a little more than $1500. I have done work on what other dealers are charging and also very similar.
Given that you all, presumably, buy at significant discounts to issue price your profits are pretty good but yes volume sold is probably not very high and their are storage costs and so forth.

You also say on your site that customers for the later issues are suffering sticker shock at the prices the later issues are bringing.

Not meaning to be rude in anyway just curious how this all works.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

To repeat very, very clearly, again, for the THIRD time, as it simply does not seem to sink in, using them for mail is your BEST possible return.

Forget retail - you are NOT a stamp retailer.

Others have given you good options above that you have also blissfully ignored.

You asked the question, and have totally ignored all responses. What do you want members to do?

Glen

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Thank you Glen you have answered all my questions about stamp collecting in more ways than one. Also thanks for providing the avatar.

I would also like to express my gratitude to all the others who have responded so kindly, thank you for taking the time to help me.

I am 75 years old so appreciate your kindness. My desire to sell at a fair price is not for myself but as a small gift to a grandchild.

By the way to the person who has an interest in German stamps, I have a few Austrian unused stamps which you would be welcome to at no cost if you would like them... is this allowed on this site??.

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Welcome aboard! You'll find a mixed bag of opinions around here and there. Give yourself time to explore these boards and you'll soon learn how to navigate things.

Head over to the main homepage and read through each of the sub-headings. You'll see a section titled "SWAP your stamps and covers with other collectors Worldwide - or GIVE them away FREE!" Note some of the rules for that section here - you may have to wait a few extra days to post over there, but y'know time flies when you're having fun: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7741 Plenty more to post and read in the meantime until you can offer your Austrian stamps to a lucky member. 8-)

If you want to use the Aussie stamps as postage, you could begin a side hobby of letter writing to Penpals, thereby receiving interesting covers or stamps from others in return. You'll never have to pay for postage at the post office again!

Alternatively, I'd agree with you here that despite the latest changes to fully gummed pages in 2020, the books themselves since 1981 are nonetheless lovely volumes. They sure beat those Seven Seas hingeless pages if you collect the decimal era in a spiral bound binder that looks like it came from Officeworks! In which case, for the right price, you'll find a buyer as others here have said.

My opinion regarding the above comments about professionals: you and I are not full-time dealers, as Glen has suggested. We are limited to paying some fees out there on websites like eBay, Craiglist, Hip Stamp or Delcampe in order to enter a market and sell off duplicates, odds, sods and other nice-ities for which we'd like to find a good home. GumTree is free to list items here in Australia, but the clientele there are those sort of folk who either sell ridiculously high or low-ballers who aim to buy ridiculously cheap.

In other words, we pay a certain % in fees to access potential buyers (with no guarantee). We hunt for buyers.

On the other hand, dealers like Glen, Kevin and co. have been in the business for what, like 40+ years? After decades of experience, they have established themselves in such a way that their clients approach them directly.

That is, they don't have to go hunting out buyers. Instead, those buyers come to them. Genius!

Moreover, they understand how the philatelic (and numismatic) markets tick; what sells and what doesn't. They also understand their clients wants or needs amid the current climate, and are able to cater their products towards such desires. Hence the concept of 'client' rather than another mere customer, I suppose.

All in all, it's a philatelic marketing gig that works, but relies on decades of a client base as the foundation. And stock - they have a seemingly endless supply of wholesome stock from goodness knows where, all at juicy prices for the rest of us. :mrgreen:

I'm sure there's more to it that that, but I'm only a Year 7 economics teachers who never realised that economics was part of the social studies curriculum until about five months in. I thought that was for the maths teachers! :lol:

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

A rule of thumb for stamps that I, as a collector with 50+ years on my philatelic clock, have found normally rings true:

Whatever is easy to buy can be hard to sell (if you aim to get back something like what you paid for it).

As well as that, the philatelic market can be volatile.

Almost every collector will have seen stamp novices approach dealers at stamp fairs etc. over the years with a collection they have inherited or come by. The dealer invariably disappoints the potential seller when he or she has to tell them that the stamps are only worth a small fraction of the figure they had in mind.

I've told my wife that if I pop my clogs she would be best using any of my decimal era GB mint stamps for postage, irrespective of any notional value they might have. She's told me that she's going to hire a skip for the rest and shove them all in that!
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Thank you both for your kind comments I will act on your advice.

But I would still like to know the attraction of those Finches in the 2018 edition. I think the 1 on ebay may have already sold for $300 as it's no longer there.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

jen 20 wrote:
09 Feb 2021 23:55
Thank you both for your kind comments I will act on your advice.

But I would still like to know the attraction of those Finches in the 2018 edition. I think the 1 on ebay may have already sold for $300 as it's no longer there.

Where bird collectors of a feather flock together... :lol:

My understanding is that the print run has since been lowered somewhat compared to previous years. But others here will have a more accurate answer, I'm sure... So, don't quote me on that since I don't have official numbers in front of me here.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

jen 20 wrote:
09 Feb 2021 23:55

But I would still like to know the attraction of those Finches in the 2018 edition.

Because it is SCARCE is why. What is hard to understand for you about that bog basic FACT???? Being Bird related clearly helps. :idea:

I stock more of these books than anyone on the planet, I have a room full of Year book literally, and have stated for 6 months in print 2018 is the KEY to the entire set of 40 years. Whether you think it is, or whether you understand that it is, is not relevant in any way. It is a FACT. Even my pet cat understands - 2018 IS SUPER SCARCE. :mrgreen:

No dealer has them. eBay does not have any for sale globally, as there was a tiny print run. What is HARD for you to understand about it - you have posted 20 times here ''you do not understand why it is selling for $300+''. There is your answer. Supply and demand.

Works for Gold, works for oil, works for real estate, works for Year Albums. Basic commerce.

Glen

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Thanks Glen your comments, I have reversed my opinion on these albums as a result.

During my working career I was a senior economist and statistician so I do understand the value of scarcity. If the 2020 edition eventually becomes as scarce as the 2018 issue then the overall demand for these two issues will increase significantly.

I think it wise to hold on to pristine copies of all 40 years because once interest is aroused the human tendency is to want all the issues. Due to excess money printing around the world, all real assets will have their day in the sun over the course of the next few years. I note enormous prices now for football cards in the USA.

My guess is around 2 years from now these albums in pristine condition will be worth a lot more than they are today.
I have shared this post with some professional friends and they are generally in agreement.

In fact one is going to start collecting pristine older issues when available cheaply; as they are currently 8-) very cheap no real downside risk.

Bit late for me but hopefully grandchildren will benefit.

borsac

Post by borsac »

Global Administrator wrote:
09 Feb 2021 17:40
Find a reason to mail a lot of parcels, and job done. Best return you will get.
^^nailed it^^

I buy them quite often for 50% of face and use the stamps to create postal masterpieces (in a Frankenstein sort of way) :D

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

jen 20 wrote:
13 Feb 2021 11:38

My guess is around 2 years from now these albums in pristine condition will be worth a lot more than they are today.
I have shared this post with some professional friends and they are generally in agreement.

In fact one is going to start collecting pristine older issues when available cheaply; as they are currently 8-) very cheap no real downside risk.

Bit late for me but hopefully grandchildren will benefit.
The more recent ones may go up. The pre-2000 ones, I doubt they will.

As for the "no real downside risk", I can think of one - if Australia Post discontinues the use of postage stamps as a form of pre-payment of postage, and move to just using sticky labels printed at the PO, this probably wouldn't do prices of mint decimals a great deal of good.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

That is true and needs close monitoring but it's not really the stamps per se that will become valuable (with a couple of very minor exceptions). The value, if any, is essentially in the scarce complete books... as people give up and pull them apart so they become scarcer. If no action in 2 years my friend is happy to use as postage, it's just a bit of fun.
Either way I am not suggesting there is a fortune to be made!!
Let's just watch what happens with the 2020 issue for now and probe a little deeper on the 2018 issue, yes it is scarce but so are 2017 and 2019 issues and they are still easy to buy at list price or lower.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Regarding the comment by the POM on early issues, it is interesting to look at which issues have the highest relative dealer mark up to issue price. This should, hopefully, reflect their relative scarcity.

As Glen is the largest trader in these albums I have used his published prices to make the comparison.

Now on that measure the 1982 issue stands head and shoulders above the rest. This is followed by 1983, 2018, 1987, 1981 and 1988 in that order. I have excluded the 2020 issue for now.

Something perhaps worth considering.

The big problem for an amateur collector at present is the lack of a market to sell into and postage/handling costs and that is a very big problem.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Wondered if anyone knows if there is demand for the historical annual stamp albums in those counties that have now stopped issuing them. Have they become scarce? Just curious as to what might happen in Australia post were to stop issuing them.

Territorian
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Territorian »

I can't see the annual albums going up in price too much in the future, except perhaps for the one or two that are in more demand (e.g. 2018 album).

There seems to be a glut of albums out there and that will continue. I recently purchased the whole collection to 2016 (36 albums) minus the stamps for $7 at our local philatelic society meeting. The albums have some great information for my school-aged daughter on the history and culture of Australia, so $7 wasn't a big outlay for the 36 books.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

Sorry there was a spelling error in my last post I meant in other countries that have stopped producing them, such as the UK.

jen 20

Post by jen 20 »

I note today that Australia Post has sold out of de-luxe edition of the 2020 Collection of Australian Stamps.
This is a good sign I think.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Hi Jen, I don't think it is "a good sign" at all. Australia Post are reducing their print run of albums each year because they are not selling. These albums will not go up in value. You can buy them at auction in bulk for about 75% of face value. Either: use them up for postage yourself. Or if you want to sell, try and find someone with an online business with bulk postage requirements and ask 85-90% of face. That is the only realistic way to get a return but I fear you cannot be told. :ugeek:

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Errm, what makes you think they have sold out?
Still plenty of stock available online .....

still_in_stock.jpg
stock2.jpg

How many would you like?

Its a bit of a hiccup, as clearly its only "investors" that have bought the cheaper albums (less profit in the premium products), meaning demand from real collectors is "well down".

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

I think she meant the standard edition, which I've often seen advertised on the secondary market as "deluxe," compared to the leather-style "executive" edition. The former is definitely sold out, but the latter seems to be well in stock, as you've noticed.
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

I heard the same - deluxe (cheaper) album sold out. Executive version (with a very low print number) still available.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Jen, old Yearbooks sell but under face value to people who strip out the stamps as postage. Take this group as an example: $700+ Face Value sells for $380 + 20% Premium = $456 or under 65% of Face Value.

yearbooks.png

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

polisciguy2011 wrote:
29 Aug 2021 13:16
I think she meant the standard edition, which I've often seen advertised on the secondary market as "deluxe," compared to the leather-style "executive" edition. The former is definitely sold out, but the latter seems to be well in stock, as you've noticed.

There have been 2 editions for about 30 years - the "Deluxe" (coloured with coloured slipcase) and the "Executive" ("Leather" look Black with black slipcase). The internals are identical.

The Executive is always limited and numbered - around 5,000 each year at the moment.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Whoops, my bad. Its just that in most of the modern Macdonalds infested free world, the deluxe is the one up from the basic product. (Hamburger with a slice of cheese, if you will).

Not really an excuse, just an observation. Aussie "Deluxe" = "basic". Got it :D

The Deluxe edition is no longer available from AP, but people wanting the error block are still well served by ebay ..... AUD 40 seems the going rate...

for_sale.jpg
Current 2020 Error Blocks available on eBay (cheaper end)

It will be interesting to see if the plague of "investors / book strippers / cover makers" has actually decimated the number of complete Deluxe editions "out there".

That, of course, doesn't help in your plight of disposing of "the dud years", but it may make a pronounced value shift in your holding towards the 2018 and 2020 years.

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

ViccyVFU wrote:
29 Aug 2021 21:11
Not really an excuse, just an observation. Aussie "Deluxe" = "basic". Got it :D
Just consulting the Cambridge Dictionary online (Cambridge being in England last time I checked so nothing to do with us) we see the definition of ‘deluxe’ as ‘very comfortable and of very high quality’.

Noting that it doesn’t say ‘higher’ quality.

Seems to me that describing a hard bound yearbook in a slipcase as ‘deluxe’ is a perfectly acceptable context in this instance.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/deluxe

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I tend to agree AP have created an issue for themselves with Deluxe and Executive .. these terms are heavily interchanged by collectors and the trade.

Deluxe and Leather is far smarter.

Anyway, this thread has morphed miles away from the OP actual question - :lol:

''Selling Australia Post Stamp Albums''

She asked the question, got many suggestions, and whether she acts on the experienced advice is over to her. :)

Admin

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”