Ideas on how to organize duplicate stamps

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

zagraham
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Ideas on how to organize duplicate stamps

Post by zagraham »

Good morning, all (depending on where you're located!) --

I've got loads of duplicates for the countries I actively collect, and I'm looking for ideas on how best to organize them.

At the moment, I've reorganized part of my US duplicate by Scott number into a stock book and am trying to spread out the rest of them among the old manila stock sheets I originally had them in.

The Great Stamp Duplicate Re-organization of 2021
The Great Stamp Duplicate Re-organization of 2021

I can see this getting rather pricey if I decide to use stock books for other countries' duplicates as well. However, the librarian in me would really like to organize by Scott number so that I can readily locate the stamps that prospective swappers ask for.

How do you organize your duplicates?
Be kind.

AdmiralCollector
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Ideas on how to organize duplicate stamps

Post by AdmiralCollector »

I have a hard enough time trying to keep my collection organized & up-to-date, much less the duplicates.

So I keep my duplicates in regular letter-size envelopes in a shoe box. Simple, easy, cheap, and not time-consuming.
I have so many duplicate US and Canadian duplicates that the envelopes are organized by denomination -- for example 20¢ definitives, 20¢ commemoratives, etc.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

zagraham wrote:
01 Jun 2021 00:09
Good morning, all (depending on where you're located!) --

I've got loads of duplicates for the countries I actively collect, and I'm looking for ideas on how best to organize them.

At the moment, I've reorganized part of my US duplicate by Scott number into a stock book and am trying to spread out the rest of them among the old manila stock sheets I originally had them in.

I can see this getting rather pricey if I decide to use stock books for other countries' duplicates as well. However, the librarian in me would really like to organize by Scott number so that I can readily locate the stamps that prospective swappers ask for.

How do you organize your duplicates?
Much depends on how you collect, and how much swapping plays a part in your acquisitions.

If you've got a lot of common stamps you might ask yourself whether you will ever be able to swap most of them.

Keep a few - not all - and keep only the really good examples, no bent corners, poor cancels, ugly looking things that you wouldn't collect yourself.

Keep better topicals, and some definitives. Keep the better unusual definitives, and the different sorts (for example) of US D E F G stamps. Keep the plate number singles from coils.

Another way to eliminate the problem, unless you are sure of a lot of exchange partners/deals is to eliminate all but the really good duplicates (Priority Mail rates, se-tenant blocks/pairs/strips) and those known to be 'more difficult' to find, and shift all the rest as '100/200/500/1000 different' lots.

Or, if you can find anybody who wants them for stampart projects, organise 100/200 of the same stamp ditto.

These suggestions might reduce your total spares. Rather than organise them, eliminate them and save yourself time and expense.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

Good evening (from where I am).

Here’s how I have some of mine. Similar in concept to AdmiralCollector’s approach but each stamp issue gets their own glassine. Could easily be arranged in catalogue number sequence. Much cheaper than stock books.

FBC13391-BEEC-43FE-8415-23565C22D653.jpeg

Best of luck, whatever approach you decide on!

BC

P.S. Edited to add: I know a number of collectors who use dealer “red boxes” and show cards for this purpose. It works very well, but show cards cost 3-4¢ apiece (although you can reuse cards you bought stamps in from dealers) while glassines in bulk are much cheaper. As to cost you can’t beat the reply envelopes you receive for free in junk mail.
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

AdmiralCollector

zagraham wrote:
. However, the librarian in me would really like to organize by Scott number so that I can readily locate the stamps that prospective swappers ask for.
As a librarian, once you figure out how to house the stamps, you could organize them in library order:
941 United Kingdom
941.1 Scotland regionals
941.6 Ulster regionals
942.9 Wales regionals
943 Germany
943.6 Austria
944 France
etc.
994 Australia

:D

zagraham

Post by zagraham »

AdmiralCollector wrote:
01 Jun 2021 12:53
zagraham wrote:
. However, the librarian in me would really like to organize by Scott number so that I can readily locate the stamps that prospective swappers ask for.
As a librarian, once you figure out how to house the stamps, you could organize them in library order:
941 United Kingdom
941.1 Scotland regionals
941.6 Ulster regionals
942.9 Wales regionals
943 Germany
943.6 Austria
944 France
etc.
994 Australia

:D
I like the way you think! Of course, LC* classification might work even better. (I'm too lazy just now to look up the numbers, though.)

*Library of Congress. LC classification is used in academic libraries and other more specialized collections in North America.
Be kind.

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

AdmiralCollector wrote:
you could organize them in library order:
Admiral,

I hold you in the highest regard but I think Covid-19 may have cooped you up on Whidbey Island just a little bit too long! :lol:

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

AdmiralCollector

zagraham wrote:
01 Jun 2021 13:20

I like the way you think! Of course, LC* classification might work even better. (I'm too lazy just now to look up the numbers, though.)
I agree LC might work better, but my Abridged 14 Dewey is on the shelf right behind me. :D

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

I keep my spares 2 ways.

A working stock for trading, in stockbooks. This is a maximum of 20 copies of each stamp, selected for the better examples where I have 20+ spares.

The rest are bagged by year/issue in small plastic bags/glassine envelopes.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

I tend to use stockbooks for my duplicates if they're mint or nice used; if they're space-filler quality or quite common, they're usually in glassines marked with the country and either the face value or a value range (ie, 1/2d-6d or something).
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

zagraham

Post by zagraham »

AdmiralCollector wrote:
01 Jun 2021 14:23
zagraham wrote:
01 Jun 2021 13:20

I agree LC might work better, but my Abridged 14 Dewey is on the shelf right behind me. :D
Ha!

By the way (referring to my Canadian album thread), I'm thinking that for now a 32-page stock book might be just the thing for my Canadian collection. At least, for new acquisitions, rather than hinging them into my current album.

Beth
Be kind.

zagraham

Post by zagraham »

Brit-Col wrote:
01 Jun 2021 14:00
AdmiralCollector wrote:
you could organize them in library order:
Admiral,

I hold you in the highest regard but I think Covid-19 may have cooped you up on Whidbey Island just a little bit too long! :lol:

BC
Sadly, I'm a charter member of the Pandemic Loonies Club. It's been pretty grim in Ontario, Canada. (I realize that you weren't responding to me, but couldn't resist chiming in.)
Be kind.

luvthecmonwealth
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by luvthecmonwealth »

I keep mine in stock books. I try to keep it organized by country and set but easier said than done.
"I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."- John Lennon

Bugbuster
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by Bugbuster »

I picked up some small plastic bins that were the perfect size for #8 envelopes. I write the catalog number in the upper left corner of the envelope and all the duplicates go there. As I get time I cull through those, pulling out the best examples for sale/trade. The rest I keep, hopefully someday I'll get a creative idea on what to do with thousands of commons.

Stapper

Post by Stapper »

I have 4 kids between 8 and 16. When I find less desirable stamps like a missing tooth, a torn or the umptiest stamp with Washington, her majesty E II, King Boudewijn, ... I put them apart and give them once a year to the teachers of 3th kindergarten or first primary from their school. They learn about post in those years and having all those stamps from over the world is always a big plus.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”