Any idea of the value of my Stamp Collection?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Spudboy
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Any idea of the value of my Stamp Collection?

Post by Spudboy »

Hi, I am a total newbie.

I have multiple albums that I have no idea about. I have researched as much as I can, enough to know that the chances of finding a rare stamp, is rare.

The attached photos are the first page from a US album and an Australian album.

I've checked each individual stamp and none appear to be rare, but I have no way of checking watermarks or quality etc.

I assume that taking all the albums to a dealer for valuation would be the best way to go?

Thanks in advance.

stamps1.jpg
stamps2.jpg
Last edited by Global Administrator on 07 Jul 2021 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason. Expanded meaningless 2 word heading.

Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Any idea of the value of my Stamp Collection?

Post by Waffle »

Sadly all are quite common and relatively valueless.

100 of the lot would probably buy a family a small meal at McDonalds. You will not be able to retire on the proceeds.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

In most cases you should be able to see watermarks easily from the back of the stamp. Either look against light or place the stamp face down on deep black surface and look in well lit conditions. Both should show most watermarks well. Sometimes watermarks are faint and then it is a problem with any tools.

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

Based on the sample shown the financial value is, as said above, quite small.

Bear in mind that in the days before wide spread use of telephones and the internet the vast majority of communication took place via the mail and therefore common stamps from that era exist in the millions and far exceed current collector demand.

However, for those so inclined, stamps can have an “interest value” that can take you a very long way. For example, Google that Australia 2/6 Aborigine stamp you show and you’ll learn about the interesting character, One Pound Jimmy, that stamp is based upon.

For almost any stamp just ask why was this person/place/event significant enough to be represented on a stamp? You can spend endless hours learning about historical, geographical, etc., things that you would otherwise never have been exposed to.

Sure, we’d all love to discover a rarity in our possession but not all value is financial.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

Brit-Col wrote:
14 Jul 2021 10:39

For almost any stamp just ask why was this person/place/event significant enough to be represented on a stamp? You can spend endless hours learning about historical, geographical, etc., things that you would otherwise never have been exposed to.

BC
Hi BC,

This is so true, and the main reason why it is taking me so long to get stamps in my albums. It seems everytime I'm trying to put some stamps in, I end up going on Wikipedia to find out more the subject matter, which tends to lead to another article, and then another article, and before I know it the evening is over and I've only got one album page done.
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

Ironmillos
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Ironmillos »

Can agree more with that statement. Stamps are a gateway hobby to learning history, and aiming to travel to X one day.

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Ironmillos wrote:
14 Jul 2021 16:11
Can agree more with that statement. Stamps are a gateway hobby to learning history, and aiming to travel to X one day.
Agreed with this, and it's even come into play for me professionally (currently workshopping a journal article on the propaganda value of stamps in the pre-WW2 era!). It's great if one can get a healthy financial return from stamps, but there is so much more to them than that if you have the time or the interest.
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”