What strength of magnifying glass is most suitable for stamps?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Hankmccoy
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

What strength of magnifying glass is most suitable for stamps?

Post by Hankmccoy »

I have no idea about magnifying glasses. None. Not a thing.

So what level of magnification should I be looking for? I don't want to buy one that is too strong and blows things up too much, or one that is too weak and doesn't give enough magnification.

Basically I'm looking to zoom on on postmarks and look at the smaller texts and images. Maybe you could tell me what you use, or even recommend a product? Amazon offers a lot of products with different levels of magnification and it's all rather confusing!

Is one with a built in light neceassary?

Any help is appreciated.

phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: What strength of magnifying glass is most suitable for the common collector?

Post by phrag99 »

I've got pretty poor eyesight, have had for years, so a lens has been an essential part of my collecting (and all other close work).

Firstly, I use a free-standing lamp. I get mine from Serious Readers - expensive but worth every penny.

For a lens, I use a x2 for most work and a x5 for higher definition. But I use decent quality images on my computer just as often, these days.

I went into my local optician when I first needed help. They had several lenses in stock and I bought my first lens from them (no eBay/Amazon, then). They were very supportive.

librarianc

Re: What strength of magnifying glass is most suitable for the common collector?

Post by librarianc »

I use 10X for just about everything to do with stamps.

Glen offers a great storage cased LED magnifier with a measurement grid here:

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=64629

I don't think I have any left in stock, but I believe Glen does.

Generally a 3X magnifier is fine for looking at postmarks and general stamp info, but for detail, I like the better illuminated magnifier.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

Number-O-Ne

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Depending on your level of comfort using a smartphone, there are also some magnifier apps that use your phone's camera and flashlight. Many allow you to take pictures of the details. I use Magnifier Plus app on Android (Samsung) and I'm happy with it.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

librarianc wrote: ↑
27 Jul 2021 05:02
I use 10X for just about everything to do with stamps.

Glen offers a great storage cased LED magnifier with a measurement grid here:

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=64629

I don't think I have any left in stock, but I believe Glen does.

Generally a 3X magnifier is fine for looking at postmarks and general stamp info, but for detail, I like the better illuminated magnifier.

John A

Thanks for the mention, John. :)

I have sold literally near 1000 of these in recent years. A UK dealer bought about 600 off me over 18 months - they kept selling out there each 100 he bought. :lol:

The modern wonders of bright LED lighting mean these can be used perfectly at night time, lighting uop the stamp and pages like bright daylight!

The old-fashioned glass magnifiers of course were near useless at night, as they had no external light source.

At just $A45 for metal and optical glass construction, in a solid zippered storage case, and dirt cheap post globally, they are hard to beat for value.

This 10X magnification seems absolutely perfect for stamps, and I literally use mine every day. The built-in measuring grid in both CM and INCHES is essential for accurately working out the height and spacing of overprints for GRI and many other areas. :!: :!: :!:

Glen

Image.

Image.

s-l1600.jpg

Image.

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

MarkM
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: What strength of magnifying glass is most suitable for stamps?

Post by MarkM »

I too can vouch for the unit that Glen sells above.

Very handy. Plus I sometime use it for work.

Somerset
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: What strength of magnifying glass is most suitable for stamps?

Post by Somerset »

My eyesight is very poor.

I have one of those that Glen sells, and it is superb - the best piece of collecting kit I have ever bought.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”