Info re numbers on Colombia 1923 Provisional Registration stamps?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Info re numbers on Colombia 1923 Provisional Registration stamps?

Post by 22028 »

I have two cut out of heavy covers or small parcels from Colombia, sent from Bogota to Medellin, franked with SCADTA stamps including the rare provisional Registration stamps of SCADTA on issue 1921.

What puzzles me is that the earlier cover dated 9 April 1923 has the registration number 016 whereas the later cover dated 16 April 1923 has the registration number 014.

1921, 20 C, Type I, Päckchenausschnitt, 306 Centavos, Bogota-Medellin.jpg
Front cover, possibly also a parcel cut-out from Bogota to Medellín, franked with the provisional registered stamp Type I (violet). Red SCADTA postmark, dated 16 April 1923.

Total postage 3 pesos 6 centavos.

Postage Composition:

36 centavos Colombian state postage, 12th weight slap from 165-180 grams.

2 pesos 50 ctvs. SCADTA airmail postage, 12th weight slap. 165-180 grams, down the river.

20 Ctvs. SCADTA registered postage

1921, 20 C, Type I, Päckchenausschnitt, 375 Centavos (1), Bogota-Medellin.jpg
Letter front, possibly also parcel cut-out from Bogota to Medellin, franked with the provisional registered stamp Type I (violet). Red SCADTA postmark, dated 9 April 1923.

Total postage 3 pesos 75 centavos.

Postage Composition:

45 Ctvs. State postage, 15th weight slap, 290 - 310 grammes.

3 pesos 10 ctvs. SCADTA airmail postage, 15th weight slap, 290 - 310 grams, down the river.
20 Ctvs. SCADTA registered postage

Who has an explanation for that?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 01 Aug 2021 22:17, edited 2 times in total.
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: Info re numbers on Columbia 1923 Provisional Registration stamps?

Post by The Pom »

What puzzles me is that the earlier cover dated 9 April 1923 has the registration number 016 whereas the later cover dated 16 April 1923 has the registration number 014.
It doesn't help with the question, but I think the 9 April cover is reg # 015. Part of the handwritten address is giving the impression of a loop of a 6.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Re: Info re numbers on Colombia 1923 Provisional Registration stamps?

Post by 22028 »

Another member has commented privately that the postmark tying the stamps and the registration marking have a different colour shades and he can assume the items are CTO.

But, the two different colour of the registration markings and postmark is nothing unusual. I have a number of similar covers where this colour is different. I can assume that there were two different clerks, one who has received the cover and another one for entering the covers in the registration book.
It must be said that there are no registration receipts known until late 1923..., as a principal, the start of the SCADTA registered letter service is still a bit a mystery. While i have the 2 earliest recorded SCADTA registered covers, the official start and procedures is still not known.

The recipient of the cover was a lawyer and politician of Colombia at that time, hence i believe the covers at that time transported some sort of court documents or similar.

And, BTW: It Colombia, not Columbia!!!!

Colombia-Columbia.jpg
Last edited by 22028 on 01 Aug 2021 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

If these are CTO, bearing in mind that only three digits are available, a maximum of 999 could easily see the later cover with a lower registration number as the clock was restarted.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Re: Info re numbers on Colombia 1923 Provisional Registration stamps?

Post by 22028 »

norvic wrote:
01 Aug 2021 22:54
If these are CTO, bearing in mind that only three digits are available, a maximum of 999 could easily see the later cover with a lower registration number as the clock was restarted.
This would be the simplest solution but covers with these provisional registration stamps are quite rare. The census of covers with these stamps I am maintaining are currently counting 94 covers of all types, denominations and SCADTA post offices from the time these provisional registration stamps were used. The final registration stamp for the use in Colombia was only issued on 4. July 1923.
Last edited by 22028 on 01 Aug 2021 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

22028 wrote:
01 Aug 2021 22:45
I can assume that there were two different clerks, one who has received the cover and another one for entering the covers in the registration book.

And, BTW: It Colombia, not Columbia!!!!
I think your assumption is probably the correct one - a simple case of "one man, one job" :idea:

I've amended Colombia accordingly in the thread title with my "Moderator Superpowers"

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”