Flooded stamp albums - please help

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rumcajs
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!
Stampboards one post *NEWBIE*!

Flooded stamp albums - please help

Post by Rumcajs »

Hello!

I have been struck with a tragedy. Pipe broke in our upstairs neighbors' kitchen and have flooded our apartment. Unfortunately what came in contact with water was an opened shelf on which I keep my stamp albums. The stamps got stuck to the pages. I did all I could to rescue and save what I could. Everything is dried now but the stamps are still stuck and hold tight. Is there anything I can do? I would love to save what I can, I hate to think I could lose a part of my collection.

Thank you for any help!

yellowduck
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Flooded stamp albums - please help

Post by yellowduck »

The album must be mint stamps? If they're stuck to the page, not much you can do. Soak them off the page and have no-gum mint...

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Moved thread to correct Forum.

Your FIRST Post MUST be in ''Roll Call'' please -

THEN add an image. We have no idea whatever what you have, era, country, etc.

Hi!

No members have crystal balls or clairvoyancy skills, so we need to see a PHOTO in post #1 of ALL new threads here. NO exceptions to that. :D

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556 – Refer Rule #11.

We have near 25,000 members here, from 180+ different countries, who have made well over 7 MILLION posts or messages, over 14 years. We are the World’s #1 Stamp Discussion Board, largely BECAUSE we have so many photos here. :D

Stamps are a TOTALLY visual hobby, and we are a highly visual board, and have about a MILLION stamp images self-hosted on this site already. We need YOU to add to them. “One photo speaks 1,000 words” etc!

ALL well asked questions will get an answer, as members are delighted to assist others. But, in order for them to assist, you need to do your bit to assist them, and add an IMAGE of some kind relating to your question. It is of course just bog basic common sense. :idea:

Using the “PREVIEW” Button is a superb idea for new members, so that you can “see” the post before you press “SUBMIT” - and edit it, if needs be. Google ‘’Spiders’’ index all images here, so THIS thread then gets more visitors - for years to come.

LUCKILY, adding superb photos to posts here is an absolute cinch, and we have 1,000,000 of them stored here already - by far the world's largest stamp image library YOU can add to - here is a simple step by step tutorial on exactly how to do that - you can now upload directly from your phone, laptop or tablet - NOTHING could be simpler -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770

All members have one hour to edit any post, in any forum, so please take a read, and add something in to your post #1 here, as that hour time clock is still open to you. :mrgreen:

Thanks – Admin
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by GB 789 »

Yes certainly be easier to reply if you provided more details/images particularly concerning value.

If the collection is worth less than say £2000 you would be better off claiming on your buildings and contents insurance. You wouldn’t be able to claim directly for the collection but you could maybe subsidise rebuying the stamps with the claim for other contents, such as clothing, furniture, etc

If your collection is more valuable, this would be a much more difficult situation (unless insured directly) and you would likely have to write off the loss in value.

towradji

Post by towradji »

Not sure I would go that way.

On the facts you have stated your claim should be against the owner of the other flat.

You may need a quick estimate of the pre water value of the stamps.

If less than 1000 pounds, the other insurer may attempt to settle it.

I wouldnt attempt any recovery until the legals are settled.

jkrabbenbos
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by jkrabbenbos »

With documents and old books nowadays they tend to freeze and dry the item. See for example this website: https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/3 ... nd-records.

With the latest river floodings in Europe earlier this year it was indeed again in the news with doing it on historical documents in Valkenburg and in Belgium. And I remember a researcher trying this out some 25 years ago in our test environment when I was working for a refrigeration engineering company. With very good results. So maybe this is also possible for stamp albums.
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”