Idar State stamps - An illustrated Gibbons listing

The members ask - the members get. There was a member demand for a STAMP WIKI on this board. Well here we go. All of you so minded can add to your heart's content. The Moderators here can consolidate info into a new post and keep things tidy. They can add 'Stickies' or 'announcements' to be at the top of the Forum.

Moderators: gmoney, GUTTERS, johnrcrow, kuikka, Kainnikanada, KevinHedley, tonga2, mobbor, Allanswood, PhilipAdams, bazza4338, Volunteer Moderator Team

tonymacg
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Idar State stamps - An illustrated Gibbons listing

Post by tonymacg »

Gibbons only admitted Idar to the catalogue after it had ceased issuing stamps. The first ½ Anna types seem to have escaped notice entirely, despite being heavily used, and the second issue was regarded at the time as purely philatelic, although it was used also. The listings have been improved over the years: ISC members using Peter Röver's excellent article on Idar in India Post should note that his 'new SG' numbers have been changed again.

Booklets: All the postal issues, and probably all the postal-fiscals, were issued in booklets of eight sheets of four stamps. Gibbons doesn't list them, yet. Booklets of at least some of the first ½ Anna types do exist, but they're not all common. (I only have a few examples.) Booklets of the second types are common, and barely worth a premium over the stamps in them. Booklets of the postal-fiscals would be major rarities, if more than one or two survive at all.

The first, ½ Anna, types are something of a tangle to sort out. The shades can be a bit tricky to assign, but Peter Röver's article will help readers wanting to go further. It's worth noting that all the ½ Annas exist in the white and coloured panels except for SG 1.

SG 1 Note that this has the unlisted 'JDAR' flaw in the right-hand vertical panel. This occurred on cliché 1 of all sheets of the white panels types, so it isn't rare. SG 1 is the only ½ Anna perf 11¼; the others were perf 10.85 or 11.15 (the emerald printings only).

SG 1a Peter Röver notes that there were two printings covered by this SG number: a bright green and a pale bright green.

SG 1b The emerald printings were the only issues perf 11.15.

SG 1c This also shows the 'JDAR' flaw.
de Selby lives, and will return

tonymacg

Re: Idar State stamps - An illustrated Gibbons listing

Post by tonymacg »

The coloured panels types correspond to SG 1a to 1c. They do not show the 'JDAR' flaw, though.

SG 2 This also exists in bright green and pale bright green.

SG 2a Again, perf 11.15

SG 2b

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

The 1944 set was for long known used only on a single philatelic cover. This didn't help its acceptance. We now have ample evidence that it did indeed do postal service.

There were at least two printings of the lower values. The first ½ Anna was in blue-green

SG3 This also exists imperf between, but I have no faith in my pair. It's almost certainly a forgery, so I won't post it.

The second printing was in yellow-green

SG 3b This is also found imperf between, in two flavours. Imperf between pairs exist, produced from larger sheets produced from multiple strikes of the printing plate:

SG 3ba Pair from between vertical impressions of the plate, and

SG 3ba This may have been caused by accident, rather than design.

The 1 Anna

SG 4 also shows perforation oddities. This may be a genuine imperf pair

SG 4a but I'm not satisfied. There is also an imperf between horizontal pair:

SG 4b

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

There seem to have been two printings of the 2 Anna, although the shades are close enough to justify Gibbons listing only the one:

SG 5

Gibbons lists this in both horizontal and vertical imperf between pairs. One type commonly found is this:

They all display the single perf hole in the margin. I suppose they should strictly be termed partially imperf between. There is also the rarer

which almost certainly comes from two different impressions of the printing plate. Incidentally, this is from the second printing.

Finally, there's the 4 Anna

SG 6 It also exists as a double print, but unfortunately, I don't have one.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Finally, there are the postal-fiscals. I think these were first listed in the 1990s.

A word of caution about these. There's no doubt they were used for postage, but they're much more commonly found used as fiscals. Therefore collectors should beware of cleaned fiscals offered as mint. (At least one of the stamps I'll show has obvious traces of cleaning.) Used stamps are even more a headache. The typical postal cancellations of the time were violet/purple rubber stamps, often with manuscript dates written in, as in this detail from a cover of SG 4:

For myself, I'd only buy used copies of the postal-fiscals on cover or large piece, or with a cast-iron clear certificate from the BPA.

SG F1

SG F2

SG F3

SG F4 Pretty clearly cleaned, I think, but it at least illustrates the type :(

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

There are two shades of the final postal-fiscal:

SG F5 and

SG F5b

SG F5 is also found in imperf between pairs, again taken from larger sheets:

SG F5a

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

I didn't intend to cover postal stationery in this little series illustrating Gibbons listings, but Idar may need to be an exception.

Idar never issued postal stationery, either postcards or envelopes. Bogus items purporting to be Idar postal stationery keep on appearing on eBay etc. Don't be fooled!

shivnair
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by shivnair »

I recently bought these Idar stamps, the seller referring to them as essay proofs!!

They are the half anna issue that tony refers to in his seminal posting on the Idar issues. The top two columns are printed on card, the bottom ones are on paper.

Any opinions on their genuineness or otherwise would be gratefully received.

I have also taken closeups so that you can see the print characteristics

IMG_4053.jpg
IMG_4052.jpg
[/AddSpace]
Last edited by Global Administrator on 10 Jan 2021 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.
#shivshankarnair

Return to “STAMP WIKI. Please add to this TODAY!”