Identifying the Australia KGV 3d Imprint Plates

The members ask - the members get. There was a member demand for a STAMP WIKI on this board. Well here we go. All of you so minded can add to your heart's content. The Moderators here can consolidate info into a new post and keep things tidy. They can add 'Stickies' or 'announcements' to be at the top of the Forum.

Moderators: gmoney, GUTTERS, johnrcrow, kuikka, Kainnikanada, KevinHedley, tonga2, mobbor, Allanswood, PhilipAdams, bazza4338, Volunteer Moderator Team

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Identifying the Australia KGV 3d Imprint Plates

Post by satsuma »

This value was first issued 1 May 1924, six years after Cooke retired, so there are no monograms.

The Harrison Imprints.
Harrison’s printings on single watermark paper utilised his two-line imprint on plates 1 & 2.

Plate 1 can be identified by a horizontal flaw on 1R55, halfway up the right-hand side of the right value shield.
Harrison 3d plate 1
Harrison 3d plate 1
Plate 2 can be identified by a horizontal blue flaw on 2L60, separating the base from the rest of the “T” in “Three”.
Harrison 3d plate 2
Harrison 3d plate 2

satsuma

Re: Identifying the Australia KGV 3d Imprint Plates

Post by satsuma »

The Mullett Imprints.

Mullett prepared two new plates for his printing of this value in both single watermark (ACSC 105) and SMW perf 14 (ACSC 106) using his two-line imprint. L60 is type A and R55 is type B.

Plate 3 can be identified by a spot of colour on the oval next to the emu on 3L60.
Plate 3 imprint
Plate 3 imprint

Plate 4 can be identified by a spot between the ‘I’ and ‘A’ of ‘AUSTRALIA’ on 4R55.
Plate 4 imprint
Plate 4 imprint

satsuma

Re: Identifying the Australia KGV 3d Imprint Plates

Post by satsuma »

The Ash Imprints
Plates 3 and 4 were also used by Ash for his first two SMW Perf 13½ printings (ACSC 107). As both plates utilised his N over N imprint the flaws are need to distinguish between them.

Ash, in 1929, prepared two new plates for the remainder of the SMW Perf 13½ printings (Die 2, ACSC 108). Again, both plates utilised his N over N imprint.

There are no convenient flaws to distinguish between these plates; but on Plate 5 the imprint is less than 2mm below the marginal line and on Plate 6 the imprint is 3.5mm below the marginal line.
Compare plates 5 on the left and 6 on the right
Compare plates 5 on the left and 6 on the right
Also, on plate 5 the LHS of the top of the gutter marginal line is rising, whereas on Plate 6 the RHS of the gutter line has a chunk out of it and the edge is not vertical.

Ash prepared two new plates utilising his N over A imprint on his printings on C of A watermark paper for both(ACSC 109 and 109OS).

Plate 7 can be distinguished by shading breaks on 7L60 behind the Kangaroo and at the bottom of the left wattles. The gutter marginal line also has a distinct toe on the lower RHS.
3d Plate 7
3d Plate 7

Plate 8 has none of the plate seven flaws but can also be identified by the compartment lines adjacent to the SE corner.
3d Plate 8
3d Plate 8

Return to “STAMP WIKI. Please add to this TODAY!”