What coronavirus precautions is your country taking?

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

OldDuffer1
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: What coronavirus precautions is your country taking?

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Seems to be a row starting up re. the Astra Zeneca vaccine (other than over supply).

PARIS (Reuters) - "Health authorities in some European countries are facing resistance to AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine after side-effects led hospital staff and other front-line workers to call in sick, putting extra strain on already-stretched services.
Such symptoms, as reported in clinical trials for the AstraZeneca shot, can include a high temperature or headache and are a normal sign that the body is generating an immune response. They usually fade within a day or so.

The other shots approved in Europe, developed by Pfizer and Moderna, have been linked to similar temporary side-effects, including fever and fatigue.

But with the AstraZeneca shot the latest to be rolled out, health authorities in France have issued guidance to stagger giving the shot, two regions in Sweden paused vaccinations, and in Germany some essential workers are refusing it.

A spokesman for AstraZeneca said: “Currently, the reactions reported are as we would expect based on the evidence gathered from our clinical trial programme.”

People receiving the vaccine are closely monitored through routine pharmacovigilance activities, the Anglo-Swedish drug maker said, adding that it was continuing to keep a close eye on the situation.

“There have been no confirmed serious adverse events,” the spokesman said."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-europe-astrazeneca-idUKKBN2AI237

"EU humiliation: Morocco beats bloc on vaccines...despite rollout starting three weeks ago
THE European Union has been shamed by Frexit campaigner Charles-Henri Gallois after he posted a list of countries across the world that are doing better than the bloc with their vaccination campaigns.

The Generation Frexit leader humiliated the Brussels bloc as he blasted its failed efforts to ensure Europeans are swiftly receiving coronavirus vaccines. Posting on Twitter, Mr Gallois pointed out Morocco, which started its vaccination strategy three weeks ago, is already ahead of the EU.

He wrote: "Non-exhaustive list of countries that have vaccinated more than the EU Flag of European Union as a percentage of its population: "Note, for example, Morocco, which started its vaccination campaign only three weeks ago and is already doing better."

It comes as EU officials admitted Pfizer Inc has not yet delivered to the European Union about 10 million COVID-19 vaccine doses that were due in December, leaving it about one-third short of the supply it had expected from the US drugmaker.

The shortfall is another blow to the EU, which has also been hit by delays in vaccine deliveries from Britain-based AstraZeneca Plc and US biotech Moderna Inc.

It had also faced earlier delays with the shot from Pfizer.

The situation raises questions about the rationale of an EU vaccine export control scheme set up in late January to ensure timely deliveries that has not yet been activated, despite the supply shortfalls.

This week, Pfizer delivered to the EU 4.8 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine it developed with German partner BioNTech, according to an EU official who is directly involved in talks with the US company.

That takes the total to about 28 million doses of the two-shot vaccine, one of the EU officials and a source familiar with the matter said.

That is still about 10 million doses less than Pfizer had promised to supply since the rollout began late last year, the EU official said.

A second EU official involved in talks with vaccine makers confirmed the shortfall but said the companies had committed to delivering those doses by the end of March.

Pfizer declined to comment, saying schedules of its deliveries were confidential. The executive European Commission did not respond to a request for comment on delivery shortfalls."
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1399516/eu-news-vacc ... statistics

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Had my first jab of (Astra-Zeneca) yesterday. So far just a slightly tender arm. Next one not till May!

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
20 Feb 2021 22:24
Had my first jab of (Astra-Zeneca) yesterday. So far just a slightly tender arm. Next one not till May!
Well done! Mine is due on Tuesday. :)
Nigel

hatter

Post by hatter »

Had my first jab 12 days ago (Mon 8th) Astra Zeneca, NO side effects not even a sore arm.
Next end of April :D
Hatter

Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

How do you get your inoculation appointments in the UK? Is it an online platform? Are there options for phoning in, for those who are less tech savvy?

Is everyone currently eligible, or are they targeting certain demographics?
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Uppercanadian wrote:
23 Feb 2021 01:25
How do you get your inoculation appointments in the UK? Is it an online platform? Are there options for phoning in, for those who are less tech savvy?

Is everyone currently eligible, or are they targeting certain demographics?
There is an on-line system but is by invitation only. Those being vaccinated at a local doctors' surgery will probably just get a phone call but the National system is through a letter. It is being done strictly by age with exceptions for those extremely vulnerable and front-line health workers. Seems to be working well!

nigelc

Post by nigelc »

I received a text message from my local GP surgery inviting me to make an appointment.

This message included a link to a website which offered me a few times. I clicked on one and got another text message by return confirming the details (and a third one this morning to remind me to attend tomorrow).

The whole process took less than a minute on my phone. 8-)
Nigel

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
20 Feb 2021 22:24
Snap, had mine (Pfizer) on Saturday afternoon - arm slightly tender from then until Sunday evening but no other issues. Next one t.b.a.!

I received a text inviting me to have a jab and then clicked on a link included in the text to set up the appointment. Attended a fairly local large community leisure centre which was well set up and organised to perform the vaccinations in a COVID aware way.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

hatter

Post by hatter »

There is an on-line system but is by invitation only. Those being vaccinated at a local doctors' surgery will probably just get a phone call but the National system is through a letter. It is being done strictly by age with exceptions for those extremely vulnerable and front-line health workers. Seems to be working well!
and there is a phone no for the non-tech.
I got a letter inviting me to book on line, which I did. Choice of locations + dates + times.
next day got a letter from GP surgery inviting me to phone them for a surgery appointment.
it does seem to be working well. I stayed with the appointment I'd made on line.
Hatter

emason

Post by emason »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/22/scotland-covid ... admissions
Scotland vaccination drive linked to big drop in hospital admissions

Pfizer jab cuts risk of admission by up to 85% four weeks after first dose, while AstraZeneca jab cuts risk by 94%, study finds

One dose of vaccine against Covid-19 in Scotland has cut hospital admissions by more than 85%, according to the first data to be published on the impact of the UK programme.

By the fourth week after receiving the initial dose, the Pfizer and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines had reduced the risk of hospitalisation from Covid-19 by up to 85% and 94% respectively, according to a study by Scottish universities and Public Health Scotland.

Among people aged 80 and over – those at highest risk because of their advanced years – vaccination was associated with an 81% reduction in hospital admission risk in the fourth week, when the results for both vaccines were combined.
The study suggested that both vaccines were working well, said the researchers. The study was not set up to look at any differences between the two. The Pfizer/BioNTech was available first so there is more data, but the Oxford/AstraZeneca was mostly used in the older age group.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine appears to have performed very well in older people. Only two people given that vaccine were admitted to hospital in the study. There were more hospital admissions in those given the Pfizer vaccine, but among more people immunised. Even so, the very good Oxford vaccine results could cause a rethink in those countries that have decided not to allow it to be used in people over the age of 65 because of a shortage of trial data.
Last edited by emason on 23 Feb 2021 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Bill

emason

Post by emason »

Extracts from a rather long arlicle.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/02/21/costs-rising ... gniter-rhr
Costs are rising exponentially for Europe's disinformation war on vaccine science

Europe has succumbed to the nocebo effect. If people are primed to believe that something makes them ill, they discover illness. It is the reverse placebo.

Tens of millions have received the AstraZeneca jab in the UK and India without meaningful side-effects beyond minor - and desirable - signs of an immune reaction. Yet frontline health workers in Germany, Austria, France, and Spain have convinced themselves that it is doing them real harm, and that it is also ineffective.

The nocebo effect is a known pathology in medical science. It has been well-documented following false reporting on statins. One clinical trial studying headaches from electric currents found that two-thirds of the volunteers in the harmless control group also had headaches. Nocebo responses can be powerful and physiological. The symptoms are real.

That is probably what has been happening with AstraZeneca in Germany where fake news has run rampant, to the point of mass hysteria. Braunschweig’s Herzogin-Elisabeth hospital reported that 37 out of 88 staff reported sick the day after receiving the jab. The same happened to a quarter of 300 ambulance workers in Dortmund.

There can be isolated bad batches with any vaccine but this has spread into a broader "me too" epidemic. Clinics in Lower Saxony have suspended use of the jab altogether. Germany faces a systematic rejection of the vaccine, yet it lacks alternatives to plug the gap. Germany's Central Institute for Health Insurance (ZI) says the bogus AstraZeneca scare could delay the entire vaccine rollout by two months.
Emmanuel Macron has taken a gamble by defying his scientific advisers and resisting a fresh lockdown. His stand seems popular. . . . But having falsely declared it “quasi-ineffective” among those over 65 — for whatever political motive — he has poisoned the well. The French no longer want to take the vaccine. Hospital workers in Perigueux are demanding that they be given the Pfizer jab instead.
The difficulty is that the German press has now completely trashed the AstraZeneca vaccine, and in doing so fed the broader anti-vax movement.

No matter that the data pouring in from the UK’s mass vaccination campaign has beaten expectations. It has demonstrated near total efficacy against death and serious disease, protecting the elderly as presumed, and all without meaningful side-effects. A false story in Handelsblatt, citing government sources, has been echoed across the German media, and neither retracted nor adequately rebutted. Where there is smoke, there must be fire. Such is the national angst.

Professor Christian Drosten, Angela Merkel’s Covid guru, is battling valiantly against disinformation. “There is always a fly in the ointment somewhere and people are looking at it with a magnifying glass. It is essential that we vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible,” he said.

It is the same message from Carsten Watzl from the German Society for Immunology. “To say that the AstraZeneca vaccine is second rate is completely off the mark, both scientifically and in terms of actual effects,” he said.

However, the damage is done. The concept of efficacy has been misunderstood. People think that if the rate is 70pc it means that 30pc are unprotected. If they were instead told that it is almost 100pc effective against serious illness, worries would ebb away - unless people have completely lost their sense of perspective.

Germany’s own regulators have contributed to the mistrust by withholding approval of the AstraZeneca jab for those over 65 on grounds of inadequate trial data. This was ‘t’ crossing and 'i’ dotting pedantry, a path followed by the French, Italians, and Spanish, who will not even allow it for the over-55s.

There were no compelling reasons to argue that a standard viral vector vaccine would not be effective for the elderly. The European Medicines Agency understood this and gave the green light. We now have fuller data confirming the validity of this hypothesis but it is too late. The rejectionists have already dug in their heels.

The result is that Germany has used just 87,000 of the 736,800 AstraZeneca doses received so far. Spain had used 35,000 doses out of 418,000 delivered as of late last week. The precautionary principle has run amok.
Best wishes,
Bill

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-23/us-covid-19-death-tol ... n/13177686

US COVID-19 death toll passes 500,000

The US has averaged around 2,000 deaths per day for the past week.(Reuters: Andrew Kelly)
The US has averaged around 2,000 deaths per day for the past week.(Reuters: Andrew Kelly)

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Brit-Col »

Brit-Col wrote:
05 Feb 2021 16:04
Here locally the vaccination effort got off to a rocky start. The county started by saying only certain municipalities were included then a few hours later backtracked and said, no, all cities were included.

There is a county waitlist you can register for and there are also other city-specific waitlists you can sign up for.

They have set up “vaccination hubs” including one just down the street from me at a high school football stadium.

I got lucky and got a low number on the waitlist and was emailed an appointment for last Friday. The queue was at least a half mile long and it took two hours to get to the head of the line and get my shot.

Today I was out running an errand and observed that the queue was probably two miles long.

The bad news: getting vaccine into arms is not exactly what you would call efficient.

The good news: vaccine into arms is nevertheless happening at a pretty good pace. Almost everybody I know over age 65 has already received their first dose.

BC
(Replying to myself simply to tie the posts together.)

I am due for my second dose this coming Friday (Feb 26th).

You all no doubt heard about the unprecedented winter weather we had here in Texas last week. I got an email from the county that due to that weather no new supply for “first doses” had been sent for this week. But nothing was said about second doses. The vaccine hub I mentioned above appears to be operating this week, as there was activity yesterday when I drove by.

So... we’ll see. Official communication is not as complete or helpful as could be wished, leaving folks such as myself unclear as to what to expect, but some progress does appear to be being made.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

The toll in US may seem bad and while every individual case is a tragedy, in the UK we were recently getting 1000 figures, and still around 500 today with approx. 1/5th of the population. Total deaths well over the 100,000.

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Just got my first dose of the "Fauci Ouchie" :D

(Due to being post-op liver transplant on immunosuppressants I qualify early in the process even though I only 49.)
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

nigelc

Post by nigelc »

Over 20 million people in the UK have now had at least one vaccination dose.

Here are the figures for vaccinations up to and including Saturday, 27th February 2021:

UK-vaccinations-28-Feb-2021.PNG
Nigel

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”