Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

castores
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Post by castores »

Just starting:
Faces in the Crowd (2011)

Faces_In_The_Crowd_2011_WS_R1-front-www.GetCovers.net_-950x636.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1536410/
The elementary school teacher Anna Marchant lives with her boyfriend Bryce in a nice apartment and every now and then she meets her best friends Francine and Nina to drink and talk. When Anna is crossing a bridge to meet Bryce, she sees an infamous serial-killer killing a woman. Anna runs but she is attacked by the killer and she falls off the bridge and hits her head. Anna stays in coma for a week and when she awakes, she learns that she has brain damage followed by Prosopagnosia, a disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while the ability to recognize other objects may be relatively intact. The police detective Sam Kerrest unsuccessfully tries to force Anna to remember the face of the serial-killer. Now the serial-killer knows that Anna has seen his face, but she is incapable of even recognizing Bryce and her close friends. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Mila Jovovich is an Ukranian-born actress, supermodel, fashion designner, singer and public figure. She has been on the cover of more than a hundred magazines.

Marianne Faithfull, daughter of Eva (Baroness Erisso) and Major Glynn Faithfull (WWII British spy). She recorded the first song written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (As Tears Go By). Involved in major drug scandals she became addicted to heroin and ended up homeless in London's Soho district for a couple of years.

Julian McMahon, son of Lady Sonia McMahon and Sir Billy McMahon (longest serving government minister in Australian history, who went on to become Prime Minister of Australia in 1971).
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

castores

Post by castores »

Faces in the Crowd (2011)

Mila Jovovich has grown on me ever since 'The Fifth Element' (1997) and then the 'Resident Evil' franchise.

I read a few negative reviews on this movie and the only good thing mentioned was Mila. Considering I thought she was a bit of an 'Arnie' in her earlier movies, now she is the stand-out actor!

Up and down a bit with performances at the beginning but overall I enjoyed the movie (Mila was not down at anytime in her acting).

:D :D :D

facesinthecrowd_i1.jpg

castores

Post by castores »

My late night movie tonight will be "Bandits" 2001.
Cate Blanchett, Bruce Willis & Billy Bob Thornton.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bandits
Joe (Bruce Willis) and Terry (Billy Bob Thornton) have escaped from prison. Cutting a swath from Oregon through California, these fugitives rob banks in order to finance their scheme for a new -- and somewhat legitimate -- life south of the border. Unfortunately, things get more complicated when they meet Kate Wheeler (Cate Blanchett), who runs into Terry with her car. Kate joins the bandits on their cross-country spree, and eventually she steals something, too: their hearts.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/bandits-2001
“Bandits” is a movie so determined to be clever and whimsical that it neglects to be anything else. That decision wouldn't be fatal if the movie had caved in and admitted it was a comedy, but, no, it also wants to contain moments of pathos, suspense and insight, and it's too flimsy to support them. It's an anthology of unrelated tones; individual scenes may play well, but seem unaware of the movie they're in. And the love triangle never decides if it's romance or romantic comedy. If the movie won't commit, why should we? It's rare for a movie to have three such likable characters and be so unlikeable itself. Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton star, as “America's most famous bank robbers,” and Cate Blanchett is Kate, the executive's wife who starts as their hostage and becomes their lover. Yes, both of them (or neither of them; the PG-13 movie is cagey about what happens in between those knocks on the motel room doors). She can't choose. She likes Joe (Willis) because he's brave, strong and handsome, and Terry (Thornton) because he's sensitive and cute.
But it's one of my favourite movies.
The scene where Cate hits Billy with her car and then opens her door smacking him in the head again... Just so Good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people just try to make to much of it. Fun :D

bandits.jpg
bandits2.jpg
bandits3.jpg

castores

Post by castores »

The Florida Project (2017)
(Willem Dafoe, Brooklyn Prince, Bria Vinaite)

florida-project.jpg

https://www.heyuguys.com/the-florida-project-review/
Steeped in glorious colour under the warm glow of a Florida sun, Sean Baker’s The Florida Project is as indelible and warm as it looks.
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/37376/the-florida-project/
I thought I was finished with 2017 films, but any film that involves mostly children that Matt Cale gushes over, certainly gets my attention. The Florida Project is a unique film created by Sean Baker of Tangerine fame. This movie is about Americans who are on the margin of a society of people who live paycheck to paycheck; only these are living day to day, if not hour to hour.
The colour was was amazing, the movie was amazing.

I couldn't get past the prevalence of helicopters and had to see what was said online:

florida1.png

FloridaProjectONLINE-982x737.jpg

All the cast is amazing, mix of hand-held camera in there but I could handle it :)
It has a very documentary style to it.
Everyone including the kids are amazing, you will be open eyed and open mouthed more often than not.

florida006.jpg
the-florida-project-tfp_domestic_lp_20170823-01_10_55_16_still004_rgb.jpg
flori.png
The-Florida-Project.jpg
(please note, really, really bad language - especially by the little ones - not so much vulgar as shocking)
Gritty
4.75/5

32_seeker
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 32_seeker »

Nobody (2021)

Hutch Mansell (Bob Odenkirk of Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad) is a mild-mannered businessman stuck in the rut of middle-aged family life. A home robbery makes him question his happiness, and triggers a series of events leading him to a confrontation with the Russian Mafia.

Mansell has a past life as a sadistic CIA operative, some of which is revealed as the story progresses. Before you watch this movie, be aware it has brutal violence and gore.

I quite enjoyed "Nobody". The movie has a surprising light sense of humour, perhaps necessary given the number of people who die in it. The combat scenes are inventive and fun. The editing is crisp and the story covers a lot of ground and plot twists in 91 minutes. I suppose it bears some similarity to "Taken" in that the main character has a secret past, but the screenwriting is fresh and original.

OldDuffer1
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Just watched on TV, possibly for the third or 4th time- Educating Rita.

educating-rita.jpeg

What an excellent film- all about choice as to how we live our lives- something which fundamentalists and despots of whatever persuasion don't want us to have!

uncadonego

Post by uncadonego »

Yesterday.png

Yesterday (2019)

A musician who has been struggling for years to break into the music industry has one constant cheerleader, his best friend and manager, who is a girl, but not his girlfriend.

On a bike ride home, the power all over the world goes out for twelve seconds. At that very moment, he gets hit by a car, so he is also out for those twelve seconds.

After a couple of passing references to The Beatles, which no one picks up on, he plays a Beatles song for some of his friends, none of whom recognize it. They want to know where it came from.

He starts an internet search for The Beatles, and realizes they never existed. He becomes world famous as the writer of The Beatles library, but feels conflicted, and chooses his career over his relationship with his manager.

Before a concert, two people (each of which he noticed at other concerts) meet him backstage. They are the only two other people on earth who remember The Beatles. They are glad he is keeping the songs alive. They tell him they have done a great deal of research, and hand him a piece of paper.

The paper contains an address to which he drives. A small cottage on the seashore where an artist lives. He knocks on the door, and an old man answers the door. (This guy looked a lot like John Lennon).

He asks the old man: "Are you John?". The old man replies: "Yes".

"From Liverpool?"

"Yes"

He has a conversation about happiness with this old man, who is now 78 years old, and the old man tells him:

"Happiness isn't hard. Just find the woman you love, and tell her so, and tell the truth any time you can"

At his last concert, he tells the world that these songs belong to John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr. He uploads all of the Beatles library to the world for free, rather than cashing in on his breakout album.
With her face live on the giant screen behind him, he tells his girlfriend that he loves her, and always has.

The film ends with him singing Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da to the children in his girlfriends classroom.

It was a pretty good film overall, and there were quite a few good Beatles' tunes.

castores

Post by castores »

uncadonego wrote:
07 Sep 2021 14:06

Yesterday (2019)
Thank you for this suggestion.
I have it but have never watched, I will make a point of doing so :)

Clapas
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!

Post by Clapas »

The Duellists :
the-duellists-md-web.jpg

The Duellists is a 1977 British historical drama film and the feature directorial debut of Ridley Scott. It won the Best Debut Film award at the 1977 Cannes Film Festival. The basis of the screenplay is the Joseph Conrad short story "The Duel" (titled "Point of Honor" in the United States) published in A Set of Six.
With :
Keith Carradine as Armand d'Hubert
Harvey Keitel as Gabriel Feraud
Albert Finney as Joseph Fouché, Minister of Police

Set in the Napoleonic era over sixteen years, the story is one of an unreasonable desire to seek redress for reasons that seem increasingly futile over the years. But the feud persists for a matter of honor. If the film is inspiring, it is above all because of its form. The reconstruction is worked and Ridley Scott has taken great care in his photography. Some plans are real paintings. The result is beautiful.

Remark :
* The film was shot mainly in Dordogne. A remarkable job has been done by a cinephile to find the filming locations scene by scene:https://duellistesendordogne.jimdofree.com
I Collect : FDCs around the world and mint stamps or FDC from Greek Mythology, Writers, Poets, Native Masks. You can send to me at my address by post. Before you can write a message to: clapas at gmx dot fr

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”