Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Post by fromdownunder »

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel(2015)

Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel and Maggie Smith and
Maggie Smith

A couple of English Comedy/Dramas of the "sit peacefully by the lake and feed the ducks" variety. Several English Pensioners visit a run down Hotel in India and have a series of mild and sometimes humourous adventures. Typical quality mainly English and complemented by a few Indian actors, with everybody except Patel (the Hotel owner) pretty laid back.

You need be in an I want a bit of peace and quiet mood to enjoy these two, and with the right sort of mental peace, you will enjoy them. A good way to mostly escape reality for a few hours and metaphorically feed the ducks (since doing it for real is now illegal in quite a few places).

8/10
7/10

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

Captain Phillips

Started watching this Tom Hanks flic last night but fell asleep soon after the Somali pirates or whatever boarded the ship.

Says a lot about it for me ...

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MJ's pet »

Not the documentary "Elephant" narrated by Me-gain Markle. :lol:

Last edited by MJ's pet on 04 Apr 2020 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Actually, The World Is Not Enough, Bond flick w Pierce Brosnan.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. (1963)

I will put the incredible cast list at the end because it will take quite a bit of space. Those of us who were around then will know all of the names.

The 1960's inspired several madcap high cost looonnngggg Movies starring lots of well known people and lots of cameos showing insanely stupid stuff done by insanely stupid people for questionable outcomes. This is the one that started the whole thing (and was actually copied with a more than passable result in Rat Race in 2001.)

As a short list, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies, and The Great Race spring to mind.[I'm sure there is one more, but I can't think of it at the moment]

A fatal car accident finds several people coming to the victims aid and hearing his final words about hiding a fortune under "a big W" hundreds of miles away. The rest of this thing is an insanely funny funny battle between the first who were at the accident and others who got roped in on the way, to find the money using whatever transport that could be found (from a Lear Jet to a bicycle), and a Detective who orchestrated the entire event in the first place.

Let's look at the cast.

The Main Players: Spencer Tracy, Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Dorothy Provine, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, Jonathan Winters.

Supporting CastEddie "Rochester" Anderson, William Demarest, Jimmy Durante, Peter Falk, Paul Ford.

(Some of the) Cameos Jack Benny, Paul Birch, Joe E. Brown, Andy Devine, Norman Fell, Stan Freberg, Don C. Harvey, Sterling Holloway, Edward Everett Horton, Buster Keaton, Don Knotts, Jerry Lewis, Charles McGraw, ZaSu Pitts as Gertie, Carl Reiner, The Three Stooges (Moe Howard, Larry Fine, and Curly Joe DeRita).

9.5/10

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Duel (1971)

Dennis Weaver. Directed by Steven Spielberg.

Made for TV, but later had additional scenes added to make it sufficiently long for theatre release.

A frightening Movie and virtually a one man show with Weaver driving across country to an important meeting and first being tailgated then attacked by a truck in attempts to kill him.

The truck driver is never seen and no motive for the continually worsening and more violent attacks is ever given. This makes the truck itself the big bad, and this point is given emphasis by the use of the aninism effect of a dinosaur roar when the truck dies (the same roar used by Spielberg years later when the Jaws shark dies).

Really edge of the seat stuff after an initial slow start. I said frightening above, but terrifying is a better word. There is also a musical score, used sparingly, in a Hitchcock type vein which adds to the tension, (think: Psycho - shower scene)

Spielberg's first theatrical release which started an incredible career which is still going strong 50 years later.

Norm

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

fromdownunder wrote:As a short list, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies, and The Great Race spring to mind.[I'm sure there is one more, but I can't think of it at the moment]
Maybe you're thinking of Monte Carlo or Bust?

Similarly awful with the same toe-curlingly embarrassing performances from so-called big stars who really should know better. :idea:

As you know, I don't give marks out of 10 for films but if I did, I'd give all of the above 1 each (with the exception of Jaunty Jalopies which I've never heard of, let alone watched!)

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Was it ever decided whether this thread applies to movies seen in an actual movie theater or any movie on TV or DVD or otherwise?

With regard to the former, the last movie I saw in a theater was “1917.”

Director Sam Mendes seems to have staked out for himself a place in really long tracking shots. Really amazing camera work.

Otherwise I’d say the film was well done but not awesome. Visuals were clearly favored over script and plot.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I, and pretty much everybody else, have always taken the view that a Movie is a Movie, whether it is watched in the theatre or in your home. The reviews I do are always Movies that I have watched in the last 24 Hours, i.e., mostly the last Movie I have watched. There are quite a few I watch which I simply don't bother with here.

When I used to go to the Pictures (remember when there used to be Picture Theatres? :lol: ) I would review them here as well.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Death Becomes Her (1992)

Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis and Goldie Hawn.

I saw this years ago, and hated it, but thought I should give it a second chance. I no longer quite hate it.

A black comedy where Streep is a narcissistic stage and Movie star who lives for her looks and mirrors, is frightened of losing her looks, and eventually takes a secret potion to regain her youthful beauty. Willis is her drunken husband, and Hawn is the jilted lover of Willis looking for revenge when Streep steals him from her. And Willis kills Streep, who has become immortal because of the potion, and promptly comes back to life. Mild humour ensues.

It is (this time around) marginally entertaining, but as much as I hate to say it, Streep just can't do comedy well. Neither can Willis, and Hawn (who really can) did not have a whole lot to do.

There are Movies where every character is completely unsympathetic and even hateful (American Beauty, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, Taxi Driver spring to mind). This is another one. The thing this has over the other three is that it is a little funny, and passably entertaining at times. Not many, but some.

4/10

Norm

ottawasteve

Post by ottawasteve »

I just finished watching Public Enemy. This movie is about ten years old, and stars Johnny Depp as John Dillinger.

I love the topic, and Depp did a fine job as the main character. But I found the movie to be flat. His falling in love with Billie Frechette is inexplicable. There is little sympathy aroused for anyone. There is little character development. The good guys are all tough good guys, except for one who slaps women around. The bad guys are, well, mostly bad, with little nuance.

Overall, a yawner. Glad I did not see it in a theatre.

4/10

ottawasteve

Post by ottawasteve »

A few days ago, I convinced my wife and daughter to sit down with me to watch The 13th Warrior. This Antonio Banderas film is now over twenty years old. It is loosely based upon a Stephen King short story about Vikings. The movie deals with the adventures of a Muslim traveller caught up in a Viking “mission” to free a northern settlement of attacks by legendary creatures.

I have always loved this film. Several characters are fascinating, nuanced and well developed. The scenes depicting Banderas’s learning of the Norse language are amazing. The story, overall, is interesting and engaging.

The movie has faults, with occasional lapses in editing, but overall, I have never tired of it and continue to love its muscular drama.

My wife shrugged. My kid fell asleep. Oh well.

9/10.

32_seeker
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 32_seeker »

I had the pleasure of watching a 2012 film called "Here Comes the Boom", it stars Kevin James and Salma Hayek.

The basic plot has James playing a high school biology teacher. He becomes an MMA wrestler to help fund extracurricular programs at his school, e.g. music class, after learning he can get $10 000 just for appearing. Many painful looking, cringeworthy scenes ensue. James' character has that "never quit" attitude that wins over his classroom, MMA peers and ultimately the lovely Ms. Hayek.

It's a light, positive comedy. There's no deep moral or social commentary going on here. The likeable James carries the story along nicely and there are some fun side plots at play too, like a charming student helping Bas Rutten (the MMA fighter and James' trainer here) study for his citizenship test.

If you liked The Waterboy or Happy Gilmore, this one will put a smile on your face. 8/10 on the "was I entertained" scale.

castores
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by castores »

fromdownunder wrote:Duel (1971)

Dennis Weaver. Directed by Steven Spielberg.

Norm
Great movie, haven't seen it in a long long while. The main thing I remember, as pointed out by Norm, 'Big Bad' Truck.

I have recently been watching episodes of Diagnosis Murder (Dick Van Dyke), I have never watched it before. Anyway one episode was so absurd it reminded me of one of my favourite absurd movies - so I watched it last night.

Murder By Death (1976)

What a cast!

Peter Falk
Peter Sellers
David Niven
Maggie Smith
to name a few.

Absurd plot, absurd comedy, I just love it!

It is a parody of all mystery thriller 'whodunnits' with characters such as Lionel Twain, Sam Diamond, Jessica Marbles and Sidney Wang. Oh, don't forget Jamesir Bensonmum.

How to choose a few quotes from the movie, it's chock-full.

My favourites would be Sam Diamond.

Sam Diamond: The last time that I trusted a dame was in Paris in 1940. She said she was going out to get a bottle of wine. Two hours later, the Germans marched into France.

Dora Charleston: Thank you. You are?
Jamesir Bensonmum: Bensonmum.
Dora Charleston: Thank you, Benson.
Jamesir Bensonmum: No, no, no, no, no... Bensonmum. My name is Bensonmum.
Dick Charleston: Bensonmum?
Jamesir Bensonmum: Yes, sir. Jamesir Bensonmum.
Dick Charleston: Jamesir?
Jamesir Bensonmum: Yes, sir.
Dick Charleston: Jamesir Bensonmum?
Jamesir Bensonmum: Yes, sir.
Dick Charleston: How odd.
Jamesir Bensonmum: My father's name, sir.
Dick Charleston: What was your father's name?
Jamesir Bensonmum: Howard. Howard Bensonmum.
Dick Charleston: Your father was Howard Bensonmum?
Dora Charleston: Leave it be, Dickie. I've had enough.

Jessica Marbles: I smell gas!
Miss Withers: I can't help it, I'm old.

I have a problem giving ratings. I would rather say. It's not a waste of time. You will find it difficult not to laugh. You will enjoy yourself. You'll come away with a smile on your face. What better way to knock off a bit of lock-down.

Excellent!
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

castores

Post by castores »

Along with my earlier post, having now read more than just page 26 (no I haven't actually read 25 pages, about half) I have realised something about myself. I do like a lot of genres but it appears that the type of movie I could watch again and again more than others would be spoof or absurd comedies. Galaxy Quest, Mars Attacks, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, the above-mentioned Murder By Death, Flying High, come to mind. Get Shorty just came to mind (John Travolta, well..)

I don't think this movie has been mentioned in this thread but I suggest you give this a watch (especially you Norm, if you haven't seen it - if you have, your verdict?): 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag (1998)

I don't understand why this isn't so well known, I can't remember how I came across it.

(As this is a thread about the 'last movie you watched' 8 Heads... is about the movie I'm about to re-watch.)

Joe Pesci
Kristy Swanson
George Hamilton
David Spade (I can like and hate him at the same time)
etc

I think the title sort of gives the game away. A black comedy, mix-ups and hilarity ensue. I don't want to say anymore other than it is a Must Watch!

As I post, it has started....

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

castores wrote:I do like a lot of genres but it appears that the type of movie I could watch again and again more than others would be spoof or absurd comedies. Galaxy Quest, Mars Attacks, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, the above-mentioned Murder By Death, Flying High, come to mind. Get Shorty just came to mind (John Travolta, well..)
These all ring a bell. Murder by Death is quite brilliant, and I have seen all three versions of the Movies based on the Agatha Christie book, and have the actual book (where the original book title shall not be named) which inspired them and the Murder by Death send up of them.

Get Shorty, I have not seen and with John Travolta in it, in all honesty, I have no particular need to. It's a bit like recommending a Nicolas Cage Movie to me.
I don't think this movie has been mentioned in this thread but I suggest you give this a watch (especially you Norm, if you haven't seen it - if you have, your verdict?): 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag (1998)
I will admit I have never heard of it, but I looked up a quick review without spoilers and it does sound like my kind of fun. A small dose of Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia [horrid Movie] crossed with a large dose of What's up Doc [hilarious Movie]?

If you like screwball comedy, you would love What's up Doc with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal, about mixed up travel bags, one containing important musical rocks.

Norm

castores

Post by castores »

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag

Some of the music is detrimental to the wanted effect on screen but otherwise I enjoy this movie (not up to Murder By Death standards but a good jaunt).

Get Shorty

Give it a go Norm (try to get past the aforementioned one). Maybe knowing Gene Hackman, Rene Russo, Danny DeVito, James Gandolfini, etc are in it might help?? Also, it is one of the very few movies where I have sought out the soundtrack for. Anyone else have a view?

I haven't seen "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia [horrid Movie]" but I'll be sure to give it a miss (don't forget to give Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! a miss also).

I have never watched What's up Doc for only one reason I am a bit averse to Barbara Streisand for some reason. I honestly wouldn't be able to put my finger on it. Another actress would be Meryl Streep though what I have seen of her is so realistic I am at a loss to explain why. I'll consider you view regarding, except for her grating Australian accent that is.

I have done a bit of a search on Agatha Christie based movies to learn a bit more and also see which ones I have (many movies, many still to watch). As an aside, I enjoy practically all sci-fi movies (weren't the '60s & '70s great for that). But then there is also film noir and they're so good to watch. But then I enjoy a good rom/com (50 First Dates has been previously mentioned). But then I enjoy a good Western. Okay... bottom line I like a lot of movies...

Clapas
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!

Post by Clapas »

A Very Long Engagement (French: Un long dimanche de fiançailles, "A long Sunday of engagement")

A 2004 romantic war film, co-written and directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and starring Audrey Tautou. It is a fictional tale about a young woman's desperate search for her fiancé who might have been killed during World War I. It was based on the 1991 novel of the same name by Sébastien Japrisot.

The film was nominated for the Oscar for Best Art Direction and the Academy Award for Best Cinematography at the Oscars.

I watched again with great pleasure

In 1919, Mathilde was 19 years old. Two years earlier, her fiance Manech went to the front of the Somme. Like millions of others, he is "dead on the field of honor". It's in black and white on the official notice. However, Mathilde refuses to admit this evidence. If Manech was dead, she would know! She clings to her intuition as to the last tenuous thread which would still link her to her lover. Mathilde refuses to drop the thread. She clings to it with faith and embarks on a real counter-investigation.
False hopes in uncertainties, she will gradually unravel the truth about the fate of Manech and his four comrades.

This film is particularly beautiful, aesthetically and sentimentally speaking. The story is very touching and Audrey Tautou is wonderful in this role. The will and the hope to find his love is very moving, a very beautiful story well led and well narrated, perfect drama, sets, costumes, atmosphere everything is respected and beautifully put in place In short, a realization, a scenario and an interpretation 5 stars make this film a real masterpiece. This film undoubtedly has its place in the pantheon of the most beautiful films; Royal! 10/10

I Collect : FDCs around the world and mint stamps or FDC from Greek Mythology, Writers, Poets, Native Masks. You can send to me at my address by post. Before you can write a message to: clapas at gmx dot fr

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Ride Like a Girl (2019)

Sam Neill and Teresa Palmer.

The true story of jockey Michelle Payne, who became the first woman to win the Melbourne Cup riding Prince of Penzance (at 100 to 1) in 2015.

It was beautifully acted by the leads (and indeed by Stevie Payne, Michelle's real life brother), but continuity wise it was either badly edited or badly written, because purely from the viewers point of view, you are never shown or told much of what she had done before the Cup race, apart from a major plot line of her fall, injury, and rehabilitation, and wondered why in hell she was getting a ride in the Cup in the first place. The racing scenes do not excite all that much either, but with horse races as drama, there is not a lot you can really do.

But it is well worth a watch, and with quite a bit of Aussie humour throughout, for me it is a 7.5/10.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)

Burt Lancaster, Karl Malden, Thelma Ritter and Burt Lancaster and Telly Savalas.

I have waited for 20 years for this to get back on the box (Fox Classics), and it was worth the wait.

Highly fictionalised account of Robert Stroud, who spent his entire adult life in prison, starting in 1909, and compensated by becoming a world class expert on canaries and bird diseases through raising and studying canaries and writing several books and monographs about his studies. Based on a biography written by Thomas E. Gaddas.

All his bird studies and work was completed before he was moved to Alcatraz in 1943 where he was not allowed pets, and he died in 1963, the year after the Movie was released.

The Movie is great, Lancaster and Savalas were both brilliant, and were both nominated for Oscars. But for better or in this case betterer, Stroud was made to look like he would not harm a fly (think of Doc Graham in Field of Dreams - same type of character) after his initial crime(s). The true story is, of course, that he was a murderer, remained violent while in prison, a complete prick, and contemptuous of everyone and everything except himself. But this does not take away from a really enjoyable watch, and it should be seen just as a very enjoyable movie and not a biography.

9/10

Norm

bazza4338
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by bazza4338 »

fromdownunder wrote:It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. (1963)

As a short list, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies, and The Great Race spring to mind.[I'm sure there is one more, but I can't think of it at the moment]
Norm
Was it "The Cannonball Run"?

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

bazza4338 wrote:Was it "The Cannonball Run"?
No, what I was thinking of was purely a '60's thing, and the clouds have unfortunately lifted - I saw it in the Theatre as a first release. It was Pepe made in 1960, a terrible comedy with famous Mexican Actor Cantiflas (as a follow up to Around the World in 80 Days) coming to Hollywood and meeting:

Joey Bishop
Billie Burke
Maurice Chevalier
Charles Coburn
Richard Conte
Bing Crosby
Tony Curtis
Bobby Darin
Ann B. Davis playing her TV character Schultzy
Sammy Davis Jr.
Jimmy Durante
Zsa Zsa Gabór
Judy Garland (voice only)
Greer Garson
Hedda Hopper
Ernie Kovacs
Peter Lawford
Janet Leigh
Jack Lemmon
Dean Martin
Jay North playing Dennis the Menace
Kim Novak
André Previn
Donna Reed
Debbie Reynolds
Edward G. Robinson
Cesar Romero
Frank Sinatra

All of them, save Judy and the two mentioned played themselves and each had about three minutes or less screen time interacting with Cantiflas in remarkably dull ways.

Norm

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

The French Connection

I didn't really like it, since I had a problem with the dialogue - even after having lived in America since 1979.

I did like some of the shots of old New York, the old cars, but kept on coming back to Stampboards and refreshing some of my old threads whilst it was on.

Sorry (to offend some super-movie fans).

Richard Debney

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

The Counterfeiters (2007 film)

Found it on SBS On Demand (Australian TV) and it is on YouTube.

Powerful film. English subtitles.

From wikipedia.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Counterfeiters_(2007_film)

"The Counterfeiters (German: Die Fälscher) is a 2007 Austrian-German drama film written and directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky. It fictionalizes Operation Bernhard, a secret plan by Nazi Germany during World War II to destabilize the United Kingdom by flooding its economy with forged Bank of England pound notes. The film centres on a Jewish counterfeiter, Salomon 'Sally' Sorowitsch, who is coerced into assisting the operation at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp.

The film is based on a memoir written by Adolf Burger, a Jewish Slovak typographer who was imprisoned in 1942 for forging baptismal certificates to save Jews from deportation, and was later interned at Sachsenhausen to work on Operation Bernhard. Ruzowitsky consulted closely with Burger through almost every stage of the writing and production. The film won the 2007 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar at the 80th Academy Awards."

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

capetriangle wrote:The French Connection
Loved the car chase though...

Norm

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

fromdownunder wrote:
capetriangle wrote:The French Connection
Loved the car chase though...

Norm
Certainly but I prefer the one in Bullitt.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

capetriangle wrote: Certainly but I prefer the one in Bullitt.
Steve McQueen's car from that scene recently sold for $4.3Million. :shock:

There was an episode of the US reality show Pawn Stars about the car years ago which I do recall seeing where it was offered to the owner of the shop.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I Am Legend (2007)

Will Smith.

Mostly a rather badly done one man show. Robert Neville is one of the last people on earth who is has immunity to a virus which has enveloped the planet created by a Movie Disease and most of the rest of the remaining people have turned into Zombies. He, of course also has a likely cure and there is an off stage cheer squad who have not caught it. The conflict is Will v Zombies, Will talking to himself, Will yelling a lot, Will talking to his dog, Will baying at the Moon (OK I made that one up).

Very few people can carry a Movie totally solo. Spencer Tracy springs to mind (The Old Man and the Sea), Grant Williams (The Incredible Shrinking Man) and Charlton Heston did it rather well in an earlier version of the same story (The Omega Man).

Smith is not one of them.

It is based on Richard Matheson's book and is the third Movie version of the book. The first was The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price, the second was the Heston version and this is the third. I thought it was the fourth, but my research showed I was wrong. For once.

Charlton Heston's is the definitive version but this one does not rate. Will Smith is simply not that good and needs good people around him (Tommy Lee Jones in the MIB series, everybody else in Independence Day.

3/10.

Norm

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

fromdownunder wrote:
capetriangle wrote: Certainly but I prefer the one in Bullitt.
Steve McQueen's car from that scene recently sold for $4.3Million. :shock:
Norm
Well, I certainly wouldn't have paid more than a $1000 U.S. for that ugly green thing after Steve McQueen scraped the underside practically off on the streets of San Francisco - and only that if it was mechanically sound.

Sorry

Kindest regards

Richard

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

All About Eve (1950)

Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, Hugh Marlowe, Thelma Ritter and Marilyn Monroe.

Davis, an aging stage actor worried about her future becomes quite disarmed when Baxter, a huge young fan comes into her life and starts doing everything for her. As it happens, Baxter is a manipulative bitch who also does everything possible to Destroy Davis' career and become the first lady of the Stage. The supporting cast is superb, Sanders in particular playing his oozy slime ball critic character to perfection (and winning one of the 6 Oscars from the 14 nominations for this).

The Movie is told in flashback from an Awards show where Eve wins the most prestigious award, and is a superb (if a little cliched) look at the life loves and back stabbing relating to the Theatre, the actors, and their cheer squads.

A must see, and as Bette says, “Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night.”

Released in the same year as the equally good, and equally vicious Sunset Boulevard* where Hollywood does the same thing to its own Industry, this pair of Movies make great bookends.

10/10

Norm

*which also has one of the most unforgettable lines ever - "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

makielb
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by makielb »

ottawasteve wrote:
03 May 2020 15:15
A few days ago, I convinced my wife and daughter to sit down with me to watch The 13th Warrior. This Antonio Banderas film is now over twenty years old. It is loosely based upon a Stephen King short story about Vikings. The movie deals with the adventures of a Muslim traveller caught up in a Viking “mission” to free a northern settlement of attacks by legendary creatures.

I have always loved this film. Several characters are fascinating, nuanced and well developed. The scenes depicting Banderas’s learning of the Norse language are amazing. The story, overall, is interesting and engaging.

The movie has faults, with occasional lapses in editing, but overall, I have never tired of it and continue to love its muscular drama.

My wife shrugged. My kid fell asleep. Oh well.

9/10.
The book is based on an actual letter from an Arab trader who made it to the North Sea. I read it in a collection of "first hand accounts of history" and immediately recognized this was the basis for both the book and movie.
Mike
Why do we need perforations? Scissors are cheap!

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Instant Family (2018)

Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne.

A couple get convinced to go into an adoption program and finish up with a teenage girl and her younger brother and sister. Passable, with the normal amount of parental/teenage angst and misunderstandings but nothing really funny, sad, inspiring or edifying. It just starts, has a middle and finishes, and I sort of wondered why they even bothered making it. The cast was good enough, but to me had very little to work with. Perhaps it was a marketing ploy by adoption agencies?

5/10

Norm

castores

Post by castores »

I'm sorry, this is not a movie

KISS Symphony
"Somebody had this crazy idea"

KISS meets the Melobourne Symphony Orchestra
vlcsnap-2020-06-26-20h05m42s001.png
vlcsnap-2020-06-26-20h06m30s969.png
Not a movie but I don't see the point of starting a thread which would be extremely limited. I will keep this short.

I re-watched this tonight, people might not know but KISS came to Australia (2003) and played with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

The video is broken into two parts, documentary starting from KISS meeting fans at the terminal, connecting with an orchestra and... the concert!

The orchestra is painted in KISS faces. Ever seen a female Gene Simmons playing the violin?
vlcsnap-2020-06-26-19h20m34s992.png
Surreal, both musically and visually.

Just think how would any of your favourite bands/artists (rock) sound like backed by a reknowned orchestra? = Brilliant!

They even involve a girl's choir
vlcsnap-2020-06-26-19h52m19s895.png
But its the international language (as Gene mentions), music.

Conductor David Campbell & KISS
vlcsnap-2020-06-26-19h51m28s223.png
Thanks for reading - Back to movies...
(ps. there are movies with KISS)

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1959)

James Mason, Pat Boone and Arlene Dahl.

I just reread the book last month.

The first time I saw this was in a theatre when I was little more than an ankle biter. I loved it and it was one of the things that gave me a sense of wonder most of which I have managed to hang onto over the years.

The title is, of course, the Movie. Our explorers find sufficient evidence to enable them to establish the entrance to a difficult underground passage in Iceland which will take them to the centre of the earth. The story that follows is how they went down this rather large rabbit hole.

It really has not passed the test of time. The special effects so dear to me back in 1960 look very ordinary today (e.g., the Dinosaurs - sticking fins on the back of real little lizards and blowing up their size makes them look like real little lizards with fins stuck on their back).

And the story is quite boring. The book is a rather dull travelogue of their journey, so the film added a bad guy, a woman for the love interest, a duck for comedy relief, and Pat Boone for teenagers. None of this helped.

Either this got old, or I did. Maybe both. (But its still better than the remake)

4/10

Norm

castores

Post by castores »

fromdownunder wrote:
27 Jun 2020 13:46
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1959)

James Mason, Pat Boone and Arlene Dahl.

I just reread the book last month.

The first time I saw this was in a theatre when I was little more than an ankle biter. I loved it and it was one of the things that gave me a sense of wonder most of which I have managed to hang onto over the years.
I loved it too Norm. As a child our imaginations made it all real, not fins on lizards. Total wonderment.

With that in mind I'm not sure if I want to revisit this movie and spoil the memory.

castores

Post by castores »

World Movies just played The Last King of Scotland (2006) and from the very first image I said "King of Scotland" (no I didn't know it was starting). That's how much this film moved me the first time I saw it.

It's probably in my top ten (never considered a top ten actually).

"In an incredible twist of fate, a Scottish doctor on a Ugandan medical mission becomes irreversibly entangled with one of the world's most barbaric figures: Idi Amin.

Impressed by Dr. Garrigan's brazen attitude in a moment of crisis, the newly self-appointed Ugandan President Amin hand picks him as his personal physician and closest confidante. Though Garrigan is at first flattered and fascinated by his new position, he soon awakens to Amin's savagery - and his own complicity in it.

Horror and betrayal ensue as Garrigan tries to right his wrongs and escape Uganda alive."

rottentomatoes.com ...... 87%(tomatometer) ...... 89%(audience score)

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

The Indestructible Man (1956)

Lon Chaney Jr.

Sometimes staying up late can bring some indestructible gems on TV. Sometimes not so much. This one, a "horror detective story" (as Darren McGavin [Kolchak] rolled over in his grave) was about a criminal who vowed revenge on his Lawyer and two accomplices from a payroll theft as he was about to get executed. He died.

Once dead, his body was somehow smuggled out of the morgue (try this some time - I suspect that it is not an easy task) and taken to a "research scientist" who poured 683,000 volts of electricity into him, and accidentally bought him back to life (as Mary Shelley rolled over in her grave - And the ending of this turkey would also make Edward G.Robinson roll over in his grave.). The best part of this scene is when the Doctor gets the body and is happy because it was in good shape! This is probably because Chaney's eyes were twitching and he was visibly breathing).

Coming back to life makes him indestructible with super strength (as Christopher Reeve rolls over in his grave) but fries his vocal chords, so at least we are spared any more of his monotone voice. As most of the Movie was done in monotone voice over by the Detective in charge of the case anyway (as Jack Webb rolled over in his grave), this is no loss, and even most of the extras don't get to speak (saves a lot on script writing and salaries).

He shows the Doctor his eternal gratitude by strangling him. Then he steals a car and kills a few random strangers on the way as he moves towards his goal of killing his former associates. But he really does have a thing about throwing people off tall buildings, and twitching his eyes.

And the cameramen go overboard with the eyes. If you ever watch this, play the drinking game with all the closeup shots of his twitching eyes. You will get more drunk than ever before in your life. Supposedly a "B Film cult classic", but in reality it was just a very bad B film.

2/10

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

fromdownunder

Sounds like you really liked it!

Kindest regards

Richard

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Linda Hamilton and Arnie.

The 6th Movie in the franchise, and it was premised on the idea that the 3rd to 5th Movies never happened - an idea that some fans would agree with. But not me. The only one I never really liked was Terminator Salvation (2009). I enjoyed the other sequels, I even enjoyed the re-boot (Terminator Genisys (2015)). So it was a direct sequel to the 1991 Terminator: Judgement Day (well, sort of).

So, I sat down with expectations of an enjoyable couple of hours. Then reality knocked on the door. The entire premise of the series was subverted in the first three minutes, and suddenly all we had was the first Movie again with a different cast along with the geriatric Hamilton, and retired Family Man Terminator Arnie helping out a bit as the two new heroes saved the day.

I hated the idea of disposing of the John Conner legacy in three minutes, the idea of Terminators popping up from different futures every couple of years, of a retired family man Arnie, and that it turned out to be just the first Movie again.

James Cameron (Director Terminator 2 - the best of the lot) was apparently heavily involved in this, so I am not holding out many hopes for his Avatar sequels, if they ever make it to the big screen, or if there ever is a big screen again. I tried to like it, I really did, and even watched the whole thing a second time before posting.

Trying to think of why I should give this any points....system failure.

Norm

castores

Post by castores »

Patient Zero (2012)
Two young scientists are swept up in a government plot to suppress the truth about a biological disaster at a genetic research facility.
(imdb)

I went into this movie thinking it was a 'coronavirus' type movie. I was wrong.

B-grade movie

You'd think with the above summary that the plot ends with the young scientists exploding the truth. The 'truth' really plays a small part, if anything (let alone patient zero).

It's worth watching if you like laughing when you're not supposed to.

Mind, like most b-grades, you do get a bit of gore.

A perfect 1970s sci-fi / horror b movie.

Patient-Zero-2012-Movie-5.jpg

castores

Post by castores »

fromdownunder wrote:
22 May 2020 18:06
bazza4338 wrote:Was it "The Cannonball Run"?
No, what I was thinking of was purely a '60's thing, and the clouds have unfortunately lifted - I saw it in the Theatre as a first release. It was Pepe made in 1960, a terrible comedy with famous Mexican Actor Cantiflas (as a follow up to Around the World in 80 Days) coming to Hollywood and meeting:

All of them, save Judy and the two mentioned played themselves and each had about three minutes or less screen time interacting with Cantiflas in remarkably dull ways.

Norm
Ahhh, Norm I laughed so hard at:
and each had about three minutes or less screen time interacting with Cantiflas in remarkably dull ways
I have to watch it.

Movie just finished, summary follows.
Last edited by castores on 22 Aug 2020 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

castores

Post by castores »

Voyage of Terror (1998)
An infectious disease researcher is on a cruise with her daughter when an ebola-type virus attacks the ship's passengers and crew.
(imdb)

Surprise, surprise, I am choosing movies at random and the next I watch is Voyage of Terror. I expected a 70s type horror movie.

It's also not coronavirus but a bit closer than the last movie. I can't believe my next movie could be so similar in terms of 'virus spreading'.

TV movies can surprise you, they work on much smaller budgets. they put everything in to what they have to work with. Storylines are usually stronger along with the dialogue.

If you know about the Ruby Princess (this one is called the Orion Star), then you have a good start on this movie. It also points to something crazy about today - fact vs truth - (minor, but it's there) and politics (always current of the day).

Over-the-top in places (understatement) otherwise a reasonable tv-movie with a good cast to back it up.

voyage-of-terror-1998.jpg

castores

Post by castores »

The Alien Within (1995) (Roddy McDowall)
Crew of an undersea mining platform falls prey to mysterious and dangerous parasite. The parasite has the ability to affect people's minds, so survivors can't be certain who is safe and who is infected.
(imdb)

Considering this is my third random choice I have remembered that about two or so years ago I went on a search of 'infection' type movies and the folder I'm in is those movies. I have many favourite genres, this being one.

3rd 'infection' movie in a row but we are definitely in sci-fi now.

Summary will follow after the movie!

alienwithin.jpg

castores

Post by castores »

The Alien Within (1995) (Roddy McDowall)

alienwithin.jpg

B-grade creature (it's a reminder to 'Alien').

Terrible dialogue, bad cgi (plastic models actually).

But Roddy is in it.

Look for the "Pilgrim" line (was that John Wayne, nope).

It's so easy to think of Flash Gordon meets MacGyger at times.

Again, you have to laugh.

It's a better b-grade only because Roddy is in it, base out.

(pm if you wish to know more)

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

capetriangle wrote:
25 May 2020 06:35
The French Connection

I didn't really like it, since I had a problem with the dialogue* - even after having lived in America since 1979.

I did like some of the shots of old New York, the old cars, but kept on coming back to Stampboards and refreshing some of my old threads whilst it was on.

Richard Debney
What, what, what!!! :o You must, of course, see F.C.II. Maybe you will reconsider.
*If watching from DVD why not put the sub-titles on?

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
22 Aug 2020 23:55
capetriangle wrote:
The French Connection

I didn't really like it, since I had a problem with the dialogue* - even after having lived in America since 1979.

Richard Debney
What, what, what!!! :o You must, of course, see F.C.II. Maybe you will reconsider.
I had not even heard of French Connection II? However I will have to look for it on cable since I do not do much with DVDs anymore.

Kindest regards

Richard

castores

Post by castores »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
22 Aug 2020 23:55
capetriangle wrote:
The French Connection

Richard Debney
To take one aspect of a movie and deride is, I think, to overlook other aspects and expect it to meet your own views, etc.. Yes, be unhappy about that aspect but - what about the rest of the movie?

It is a movie.

These are movies, to be enjoyed.

The French Connection I & II are very enjoyable.

castores

Post by castores »

Along with my previous post, I have never watched The Lord of The Rings movies. I read the books as a kid, probably at the time they came out(?) I didn't want to see anything that didn't 'fit' with my picture.

However, I can say now that I'm happy to watch them as I can see them as 'movies', it doesn't affect the pictures in my head, it is a movie. No rush...

Carriers (2009)
As a lethal virus spreads globally, four friends seek a reputed plague-free haven. But while avoiding the infected, the travelers turn on one another.
(imdb)

Like a lot of movies it's a road trip accross America, except...

More dramatic and 'real' than the movies I watched earlier.

carriers-52498705570fe.jpg

Carriers-2009-Promotional-Stills-horror-movies-7040916-1280-854.jpg

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

castores wrote:
23 Aug 2020 00:16

"Enjoyable, enjoyable"!- who are these people? :ugeek:

castores

Post by castores »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
23 Aug 2020 02:22
castores wrote:
23 Aug 2020 00:16

"Enjoyable, enjoyable"!- who are these people? :ugeek:
I enjoyed the movies, therefore, they were enjoyable :D

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”