Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

ScotsmanAbroad
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

Would you recommend the last movie that you watched, or would you warn people off?

Here's a thread to talk about that last movie, give your recommendation or warning.

So :D or :evil: the movie.

I just watched the fantasy, ' The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader'

I began to watch this purely to pass the time on a Sunday night. However, halfway through I realized, I'm enjoying this!
I never read the books as a kid, and didn't think the first movie was all that good. Maybe now I'll go back and re-watch the lot of them!

This movie gets a definite smiley face :D

So go on, let's get a Stampboards Movie Critic thread going....We could rock the Oscars!
It's good to shoot the breeze with like-minded people.

ivqii

Re: Movie Critics: Tell us about the last movie you watched

Post by ivqii »

Couple of months I saw "Midnight in Paris" directed by Woody Allen

It has been well received but is not without its critics

I found it OUTSTANDING and give it 10/10

You do have to regard it as a fantasy though

so

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

mrboggler
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by mrboggler »

Just watched "The Kings Speech" last night,and really enjoyed it,
I thought the supporting actors to be well cast, and all gave very belivable performances

10 out of 10.from me.
Nunawading Stamp Fair
Last Sunday of Every Month - Jaycees Hall Silver Grove - Nunawading.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

I managed to get hold of a copy of The Eden Formula, made in 2006, (formerly known as Tyrannasaurus Wrecks)

I think I can safely say that this beats Plan 9 From Outer Space as the worst movie ever made. This movie has it all, and should be on every bad film lovers list of "must sees"

Wonderul Plot: Terrorists! break into a lab which just happens to have a fully grown T-Rex locked up. They disable security, which automatically opens every door in the building, T-Rex escapes by headbutting a wall, and starts eating people.

Superb continuity: One character (the once watchable Dee Wallace) escapes early in a Police Car, starts driving off, and drives in a straight line for the next hour, probably trying to escape from the movie. She spends the entire time trying to work out how to use the Police Radio. T-Rex escapes and heads off in the opposite direction on his killing spree in LA.

Surprisingly, with 5 minutes to go, both of them finish up back at the laboratory, exactly where they started, where by a stroke of luck the terrorists had decided to blow up the building.

Subtle: People are introduced to the story, spend a minute on-stage, and turn into munchie Dino snacks. The beauty of these events (there are about 8 of them), is that NOBODY EVEN NOTICES the T-Rex until he is literally two feet away. For one character, he even manages to sneak! into a small garage with an 8 foot ceiling for his midnight snack.

Believable Special Effects: T-Rex was alternatively very poor stop motion (the original King Kong did this far better), a man's hand in a sockpuppet, and a cardboard cutout. The explosion that kills him in the end was about the size of the threepenny bungers I used to explode on Guy Fawkes night.

Acting: No! Just No! They all exhibit every emotional gamut from A to B.

This is as bad as it gets, and worth watching simply because of that fact.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

selvedge
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by selvedge »

"Red Dog" Top movie. Fantastic for an Aussie movie. Nothing over the top. Just a good story line and plot. Well presented and well acted too. The mining camp scenes are very close to authentic. I was there when Karratha was being established.

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

Norm, you have just given me a "must watch"!!!!

The only other movie that ever came close to 'Plan 9', IMHO, was a wonderful western I saw years ago where most of the cowboy/indian fighting was shot in a vale with a glorious background of electric poles, trucks/cars, etc., at the top of the hill.

The camera-man (singular) didn't have the nouse or experience to pan a little lower.

Loved that one :lol:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Back to topic; the last movie we paid to go see was "The King's Speech", not long after it came out.

Had to drag the MOTH kicking and screaming into the picture theatre. Expected moans and grumbles - - - nothing. If he could sit quietly and enjoy a movie in a venue he despises, it has to be better than good.

The film, cast, and crew, did a bloody good job. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

AKPhilately
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by AKPhilately »

Saw "Mouchette" yesterday. Very French, very atmospheric, b/w, but it did take long to get into. A few disturbing animal scenes if you don't like that sort of thing. Once it's over (just short of 90 min) you realise it did hold your attention after all, so I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Just watched Till The Clouds Roll By on TCM, a "biography" of Jerome Kern. The "biography" part is of course total fiction, as was the wont of Hollywood writers and "true stories" back in the '30's and 40's, but the music is magnificent and it is a tribute to a great writing talent.

Of course Judy Garland ("Look For the Silver Lining" and "Who") being in it doubled my pleasure. Robert Walker did a passable job playing Kern, June Allyson was her cute lovable self and Van Heflin was typically reliable. Lena Horne was of course perfect singing "Can't Help Loving that Man of Mine". But the real beauty of these sorts of movies is - you don't even have to watch them. Ignore the fake story lines, and just listen to the fabulous musical numbers while you are doing other things.

Frank Sinatra, and as much as I dislike much of his work and acting(?), singing "Old Man River" at the very end is a great moment in Cinema. 'cos I love Showboat, and for once Sinatra, at his peak, gets it perfect and even after heaps of viewings, this scene still makes my hair stand on end.

Norm

aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by aethelwulf »

Never heard of The Eden Formula--no wonder! Haven't seen Plan 9, infamous as it is. Another of the "so bad its worth seeing", and perfect for the season, is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Atrociously terrible (command console of the spacecraft is a plywood box with various odd bits of wires attached inside, which has a handy lid you can lift up so the kids can hide inside). Despite a few attempts to watch it, I've never made it more than halfway (which is about the same for Gone With the Wind, have seen the first 20mins so many times, then occasional clips where I arose from napping :lol: ).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by muruk »

selvedge wrote:"Red Dog" Top movie. Fantastic for an Aussie movie. Nothing over the top. Just a good story line and plot. Well presented and well acted too. The mining camp scenes are very close to authentic. I was there when Karratha was being established.
Different opinion. :?

Fell asleep 3 times. Nice story, but too slow to keep my interest.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

aethelwulf wrote:Another of the "so bad its worth seeing", and perfect for the season, is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.
Also famous for being Pia Zadora's first movie appearance. Did you know that if you live an evil life on planet Earth, you spend the rest of your time in Hell watching a Pia Zadora retrospective?

Norm

ivqii

Post by ivqii »

Certainly an Urban Legend-

But when Pia Zadora played Ann Frank in a Broadway production she was so bad that when the Nazis burst into the house the whole audience shouted "She's in the attic" :D
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

The last one I watched and would really recommend is Beneath Hill 60. (2010) The story of Australian Tunnelers on the Western Front in WW 1.

It is said they created the largest non nuclear explosions in the world, which were heard in London.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Watched Dead Snow last night. First saw the DVD in HMV back in the summer, and glad now I didn't buy it.

The concept sounds good on paper--a battalion of Nazis freeze to death in the mountains and turn into zombies--but the final product suffers poor acting, weak story, a lack of crass 'humour' and illogical events. Zombies that can use knives? That can run? That are chasing after gold?

I give it 4/10.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

traralgon3844 wrote:The last one I watched and would really recommend is Beneath Hill 60. (2010) The story of Australian Tunnelers on the Western Front in WW 1.

It is said they created the largest non nuclear explosions in the world, which were heard in London.
I read about that event before...the trench warfare campaign of course had stagnated, with occasional raids by both sides across no-man's land just resulting in the soldiers running into a wall of gunfire. So the Allies spent months tunneling across, carved a cavern under the German trenches, stockpiled it with dynamite and blew the ground out from under them.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Dinosaur (2000)

A Disney movie I have never seen before, with incredible CGI, and not one for the littluns, although the plot may sound that way.

A Lemur family adopts a baby dinosour (don't even ask), and their home is destroyed by a Meteor shower. They need to find somewhere new to live, and eventually meet up with a pack of Dinos travelling to the breeding grounds.

Best line:

When they first meet up with the other Dinos, Aladar (the hero) introduces one of the Lemurs travelling on his back with "This is my Grandfather, a couple of generations removed". Another Lemur responds with "try a couple of species removed" . It cracked me up for some reason.

All the usual travails occur including the obligatory super duper bad guy Dinos and fights. More violence than usual for Disney, but a suprisingly good film.

7/10

Norm

portbelly
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by portbelly »

We had a late one last night with friends, and watched this great movie.

I am a big fan of Garner and Cobbs.

Decoration Day (1990)

Starring:

Starring: James Garner, Judith Ivey, Bill Cobbs, Ruby Dee, Laurence Fishburne
Directed by: Robert Markowitz

Terrific twist to the story and just so entertaining.

Interesting dialog.

V said it was a bit slow in the early stages.

I could watch it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWgQxGPBN-k
Tempus fugit

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Blade Runner (The Final Cut)

I suspect that only God knows how many versions of Ridley Scott's Movie have been released. Any version other than the first with that ridiculous Harrison Ford voice over is worth watching, so nothing else really matters.

It's a great and very under rated movie, and still never answers the question, despite what Scott says, and several hints in the Movie, was Deckard a replicant or not?

9/10

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

The Great Race just finished on FMC Family (Foxtel).

This was one of the screwball comedys which followed the release of Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines in the early 1960's. Simple story line, it was a car race from New York to Paris, and the somewhat ludicrous adventures had on the way by those trying to win - Tony Curtis as the "good guy" and Jack Lemmon as the "bad guy".

It had an all star cast, all now sadly departed from this world. Tony Curtis, playing a parody of his earlier "hero" career was brilliant, - I never realised his talent for comedy before I originally saw this many years ago. Natalie Wood was there as the beautiful token female, and she was indeed beautiful. Jack Lemmon, playing two roles - what can you say about the man that has not been said a million times before. And one eyed Peter Falk (later, the crumpled detective Columbo) showed a comedic flair that he matched in It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

And plenty of Hollywood "B"/Television stars to add to the fun. Keenan Wynn, Arthur O'Connell, Vivian Vance, Dorothy Provine, Larry Storch and others.

Turn your brain off for two hours and enjoy a bit of fun and one of the best modern day Pie fights ever shown in a Hollywood Movie, as well as many other homage to the '20's slapstick moments. They will never make movies like this again.

8/10 for the fun, the star power involved, and the nostalgia.

Norm

muruk

Post by muruk »

The movie I've probably enjoyed most in the last 12 months is the Bollywood production "Three Idiots".

It follows the lives of three friends through college, and the various situations they find themselves in. Great watching. Plenty of reviews and trailers accessible via google.

Should be watched by anyone who has children and is likely to have unrealistic expectations of them.

Only two problems (but they don't detract from the experience). The tendency for the various characters to urinate on anything they didn't like. Plus one small session of the mandatory (for Bollywood) all singing all dancing scenario.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

fromdownunder wrote:it was a car race from New York to Paris, and the somewhat ludicrous adventures had on the way by those trying to win
Trying to do that would be quite an adventure. :mrgreen: Was it done in the manner of the undersea-setting song-and-dance routine from Mary Poppins?

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

aethelwulf wrote: Trying to do that would be quite an adventure. :mrgreen: Was it done in the manner of the undersea-setting song-and-dance routine from Mary Poppins?
They actually got from the West Coast of the States to Eastern Europe via an Iceberg, which is why I described it as ludicrous adventures - I didn't even mention the Polar Bear who spent a night in Jack Lemmon's car. They were trying to find the North West Passage, and missed.

So did Spencer Tracy, but that's another whole different Movie.

Norm

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Can any members recommend a good rom com I could hire on DVD and watch while it's raining outside this week? 8) :)

On holidays from Uni for 3 weeks and of course the weather is rubbish. :mrgreen:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

fromdownunder wrote:
aethelwulf wrote: Trying to do that would be quite an adventure. :mrgreen: Was it done in the manner of the undersea-setting song-and-dance routine from Mary Poppins?
They actually got from the West Coast of the States to Eastern Europe via an Iceberg, which is why I described it as ludicrous adventures - I didn't even mention the Polar Bear who spent a night in Jack Lemmon's car. They were trying to find the North West Passage, and missed.
There's a good riddle: If your boat is an iceberg, and you hit another iceberg, do you sink? :idea:

Maybe the polar bear was Walter Matthau in costume. :lol:

NYC to Europe...yes, slightly off from the Northwest Passage. :wink:

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:Can any members recommend a good rom com I could hire on DVD and watch while it's raining outside this week? 8) :)
If rom com means what I think it means (romantic comedy), have you thought of some of the classics available?

"To Catch a Thief"; a nice Hitchcock movie. "Bringing up Baby" also has Cary Grant - and some of his other films are not bad value: "The Bachelor and the Bobby-soxer", and "Arsenic & Old Lace" (one of my favorites).

Anything with Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn; one of the best IMHO is "Guess who's Coming to Dinner".

ivqii

Post by ivqii »

Tassie_Stamps wrote:Can any members recommend a good rom com I could hire on DVD and watch while it's raining outside this week? 8) :)

On holidays from Uni for 3 weeks and of course the weather is rubbish. :mrgreen:
I don't know if you're a girl or a boy -

But whichever

"Serendipity" every time

If you're a girl you will just love it

If you're a boy you will lust after Kate Beckinsale :)

Tassie_Stamps

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

Thanks for the tips guys. 8)

I will keep them in mind.

Oh and I am a guy. :mrgreen:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Depends on your definition of "rom" and "com". Even Apocalypse Now has humourous moments, and there's the Playboy Bunnies for "rom". 8)

If you want melodramatic rom-com, An Affair to Remember. A couple who meet on a cruise and have an affair. Unlike the Titanic, their ship stays afloat. They were going in the opposite direction, maybe that's why. :lol: Stars Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

I trawled back through my memory on the obligatory Sunday arvo movies on tv from when I was a kid. In those days, www meant something completely different (Jack Dyer, Tiger Singh, King Curtis, et al), and many of those movies became family favourites - for both the male and female of the species - because of the comedy. ok, we were just weird :roll:

Cary Grant was a favourite, as was Jimmy Stewart (think Rear Window), and Spencer Tracy; but so were many of the B-grade actors - Percy Kilbride amongst them.
And the leading ladies weren't always good-looking - Marjorie Main and Sybil Thorndike were sometimes preferred over June Allyson and Audrey Hepburn.

(No, Norm, I will NOT wash my mouth out :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I know a couple of people that think that "When Harry met Sally" is the height of modern "romantic comedy". Gimme "Black Books" any time.

What :shock: there's romance in there! Bernard is very affectionate toward his.....bottle of plonk :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScotsmanAbroad

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

Getting into the Christmas spirit, I watched 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town', a Rankin-Bass animated classic from 1970.
Fred Astaire does the voice over for the singing and dancing narrator. Mickey Rooney is the voice of Chris Cringle, Keenan Wynn is the Winter Warlock, and a host of other great characters. I'd never seen it before, and loved every minute.....it put a happy smile on my face :D

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Since Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn and romantic comedy have already been mentioned, and since this is a stamp collectors Board, why not Charade, which has these four elements all tied into one movie (plus Walter Matthau).

In fact the entire plot revolves around stamps.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Triangle (2010), starring Australia's Melissa George. You will either love it or hate it. It is horror/slasher/mystery, but tilted more towards the mystery..

Some friends go out sailing and a freak storm capsizes their yacht. Along comes an empty ship and the five survivors board it, and then they start getting killed one by one. Eventually Melissa confronts the mysterious masked person who is doing all the killing, and pushes this person overboard. This all happens in the first Act... then the movie really starts.

I can't say much more without spoiling the whole thing, but even the name of the yacht (The Triangle) the Ship (the Aeolus) and the music playing when Act One finishes (Anchors Away, which turns into a broken record) is significant.

8/10 - extra point awarded - looking at Melissa George is always worth a point.

Norm

jugoslavija_post

Post by jugoslavija_post »

Saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows yesterday.

Great action scenes and special effects. I love the parts where you see all of the little things Holmes did to fool Moriarty. :)

I was very pleased to see correct usages of stamps! Two scenes come in mind: A 6d Jubilee used fiscally on a document; and Russian Imperial stamps on a parcel in the final scene. :shock:

To sum it up; A+. :D

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

jugoslavija_post wrote:Saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows yesterday.

Russian Imperial stamps on a parcel in the final scene. :shock:
Ah but early Poland have the same design as Russia, also some Finland, so unless you get the HD Blu-Ray and zoom in on a screenshot to try and read the inscriptions on the stamps, you won't know positively they've used the right stamps. :lol:

And if its a parcel there will probably be a liberal franking; some films will show a character with a parcel and it only has a couple first-class letter stamps on it.

Holmes used to claim he could look at some ashes and determine what type of pipe tobacco they came from. I wonder what he could do with stamps--identify them by licking the gum on the back? :o

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

How to Train Your Dragon. (2010)

Another great Dreamworks animation about a Viking boy who grows up in a village which has a dragon problem. Hilarious at times, touching at times, and damn near perfect. Suitable for all ages from 9 to 90, as a typical example of misunderstanding between species, a boy who learns to become a man, and a father whose son is not quite who he thinks he is.

9/10

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

The Whole Nine Yards Almost all star cast, with Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Rosanna Arquette, Michael Clarke Duncan, Natasha Henstridge, Amanda Peet and Kevin Pollak

I suppose that the idea of a comedy where the basic story line involves a Hit Man given a new identity by the FBI and moving next door to a Canadian Dentist, whose wife wants the Dentist dead, and hires another Hitman, who happens to be the Dentists receptionist sounds pretty silly.

But it is pulled off really well, and includes a totally original, to me, plot line about dental records being used to advance a story line. Everybody is equally funny, even Bruce Willis, but Amanda Peet as the Hit Man whore is absolutely hilarious, and the movie hangs together remarkably well.

8/10

WARNING: There is a sequal, The Whole 10 Yards, with pretty much the same cast. Avoid in at all cost to your sanity.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Flashdance (1983).

The first full length MTV movie. Jennifer Beals looked great - she was HOT, but did not do her own dancing. Despite that, the closing sequence Flashdance - What a Feeling, which was performed by two, and perhaps more JB lookalikes who could actually dance, still keeps my eyes rivetted to the screen. Plot. What's a plot? Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back.

And the music was great throughout.

Plot 0/10
Music 8/10
Jennifer Beals 12/10

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Godzilla, the 1998 version.

I caught the last twenty minutes of this (although I did originally,sadly waste $30.00 seeing the whole thing in a theatre) because the Movie following it is something I like a lot (MIB for anybody who knows or cares).

This is a Movie I would recommend everybody to stay away from, forever, not because it is so bad it's worth watching, it's just so bad, you will finish up throwing up in the toilet after seeing it. The point I gave it was for Jean Reno, who is, in all but one movie, worth watching. (As it happens, that one movie is my only EVER 0/10).

1/10

Norm

ScotsmanAbroad

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

jugoslavija_post wrote:Saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows yesterday.

Great action scenes and special effects. I love the parts where you see all of the little things Holmes did to fool Moriarty. :)

I was very pleased to see correct usages of stamps! Two scenes come in mind: A 6d Jubilee used fiscally on a document; and Russian Imperial stamps on a parcel in the final scene. :shock:

To sum it up; A+. :D
I didn't know there was a new Sherlock movie, Eric, thanks for the heads-up! I'll give it go next week!

JohnHart
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by JohnHart »

TRUE GRIT The new version with Jeff Bridges. DON'T BOTHER! I don't think I've ever seen a remake that was literally exactly the same as the first movie. For my money give me John Wayne any day. Even Matt Damon (whom I usually enjoy) just played a poor version of Glen Campbell. :twisted:

ScotsmanAbroad

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

fromdownunder wrote:Godzilla, the 1998 version.

I caught the last twenty minutes of this (although I did originally,sadly wate $30.00 seeing the whole thing in a theatre) because the Movie following it is something I like a lot (MIB for anybody who knows or cares).

This is a Movie I would recommend everybody to stay away from, forever, not because it is so bad it's worth watching, it's just so bad, you will finish up throwing up in the toilet after seeing it. The point I gave it was for Jean Reno, who is, in all but one movie, worth watching. (As it happens, that one movie is my only EVER 0/10).

1/10

Norm
Don't leave us in suspense, Norm! What is you 0/10 movie?

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

ScotsmanAbroad wrote:Don't leave us in suspense, Norm! What is you 0/10 movie?
It was the 2002 remake of Rollerball. This was a mega budget Summer Popcorn Movie and hopefully sent the investors broke. It cost USD70M to make and grossed USD28M. That's almost Waterworld worthy!

It has a 2.8/10 rating on IMDb, and I gave it a one there, because you can't give a Movie a zero rating.

Norm

ScotsmanAbroad

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

I think I agree there, Norm. I saw that on tv a few months ago. Well , let me be more specific, I saw 5 minutes of it on tv.....thank goodness for tv remote-control and the 'off' button! :lol:

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

The Sound of Music

Do I really need to say what it's about?

Is it twee? Of course. Is it true to the real Von Trapps? Of course not. Is the Music superb? Yes! Is it a well told fiction? Yes. Is it perfect? Not quite.

What I never realised for years is how dark most of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals actually are. You get so caught up with the superb music, and until you actually concentrate on the story, you tend to think of them as a bit of harmless fluff.

In The Sound of Music it is the takeover of Austria by Nazi Germany in the era preceding WWII. With South Pacific, it was racism. With Carousel it was wife beating. Always something else going on which made you think.

9/10

Norm

ScotsmanAbroad

Post by ScotsmanAbroad »

'Neverland' is awful

I just wasted 3 years of my life watching this crap!

Okay it was only 1hour 25minutes, but it felt like years!

Someone (who should be flogged!) took the characters from Peter Pan and 're-imagined' them into what can only be described as the acting equivalent of diarrea! There are some good actors in this, and I can only imagine that they will spend the next few years hoping that no one reminds them that they took part in it!

And this was only part 1 !!!

I think you can guess that I will not be watching part 2 :evil:

Clive

Post by Clive »

Norm,
It's a great and very under rated movie, and still never answers the question, despite what Scott says, and several hints in the Movie, was Deckard a replicant or not?
9/10
Deckard was no replicant!! Our first disagreement: I thought the original release of Blade Runner, with Deckard voiceover, was truly brilliant, a 10.

Yesterday evening, we watched Cowboys and Aliens, starring Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig. With a title like that, it can only go two ways - fantastic or utter crap. We rated it utter crap, zero minus. If you pay money to see it, don't say you haven't been warned. :roll:

Tonight, it's Gary Cooper and Ray Milland in Beau Geste, a classic.

Clive

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

ScotsmanAbroad wrote:'Neverland' is awful

I just wasted 3 years of my life watching this crap!
It is truly amazing how badly, and how often, this J. M. Barrie classic creation has been treated on the big screen. Everybody (including Steven Spielberg of all people) seems to think they can "improve" Peter Pan by putting their own stamp on it. And, of course, they can't.

The only version I find remotely watchable is the 2003 P. J. Hogan version, simply titled Peter Pan and reasonably faithful to the original.

However the Barrie biography Finding Neverland is a good watch with Johnny Depp as Barrie and Kate Winslett as Sylvia Davies. Basically a story about the events that actually led up to Barrie writing the play. I don't know how factual it all is, but it is worth seeing.

I note with some amusement that Bob Hoskins plays Smee in Neverland, which reprises his role as Smee in Spielberg's critically panned* Movie Hook.

*pun intended

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Galaxy Quest.

If I start talking about this I will never stop. A send up of the Star Trek and Alien series, where a group of Aliens viewing the "Historical Documents" (in truth a third rate 20 year old SF show) have built their whole society around the Galaxy Quest Universe.

When they start being threatened by an Evil Overlord Alien, they enlist the help of the Galaxy Quest crew, who have spent the rest of their career at SF Conventions and opening Shopping Malls, to save them.

While most spoofs do not stand up over time, this one, Like Flying High (Airplane) does, and gets funnier every viewing. Good cast and good acting, with Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman getting the best lines.

It almost deserves its own thread.

10/10

Norm

portbelly

Post by portbelly »

Music of the Heart 1999 - PG - 124 min - Drama | Music

Our rating 10/10

Could watch it again.

Stars:
Meryl Streep, Cloris Leachman and Henry Dinhofer

The true story of a young teacher who fights against the board of education in her bid to teach underprivileged kids in a Harlem school the beauty of music through the violin. In her struggle she loses everything as the system comes down on her with all their might but her determination for the kids happiness helps her to battle back with wonderfully inspirational results.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pnqbx8iTTM
Tempus fugit

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”