Utterly Useless Fact of the Day

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

bazza4338
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Utterly Useless Fact of the Day

Post by bazza4338 »

Pope John Paul II created more saints than all his predecessors in the previous 500 years put together.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/john-paul-ii-reaches-milestone-1-517679

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Ringo Starr will be 77 on Friday.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Albert Einstein famously said that "if the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, man would have only four years to live."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_prit ... urity.html

Almost a third of global farm output depends on animal pollination, largely by honey bees.

These foods provide 35pc of our calories, most of our minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants, and the foundations of gastronomy. Yet the bees are dying – or being killed – at a disturbing pace.

Such "apocalyptic scenarios" are overblown, said Rabobank. The staples of corn, wheat, and rice are all pollinated by wind.

However, animal pollination is essential for nuts, melons and berries, and plays varying roles in citrus fruits, apples, onions, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, courgettes, peppers, aubergines, avocados, cucumbers, coconuts, tomatoes and broad beans, as well as coffee and cocoa.

This is the fastest growing and most valuable part of the global farm economy. Between 80pc and 90pc of pollination comes from domesticated honey bees. Moths and butterflies lack the range to penetrate large fields.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Not "useless" at all - a very interesting fact... thank our lucky stars this man had his full dose of common sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

A coffin-making community group has popped up in Tasmania's north-west, allowing people to make their caskets dirt cheap.

The Community Coffin Club meets once a week at the Ulverstone Community Shed, where mentors help people make coffins for themselves and their family.

Sheree Whittington has been working on her coffin for the past month.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

jjarmstrong47
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

Do you remember in the film, Bridge Over The River Kwai" how all the prisoners were marching and whistling to the tune, "Colonel Bogey". Of course you do!

Now I know I worry about the strangest things but I often wondered who the mysterious Colonel Bogey was, and how did he manage with a name like that?

It all started with a game of golf and a song.

Back in the late nineteenth century, golf was becoming increasingly popular but it was difficult to compare games and scores at different holes. The Coventry club in England finally devised a scheme where every hole was given a score that a reasonable golfer should be able to obtain. The idea caught on and soon other clubs did the same for their courses.

In 1890, the secretary of the club at Great Yarmouth was playing against a certain Major Wellman who was not having a good day, failing to reach the expected score. Back at the club, he complained bitterly about this mysterious Bogeyman who had been able to complete the round with that score. His choice of words could have been due to a popular song at the time, "Here comes the Bogeyman".

In jest, the club declared that the mysterious opponent that members should be able to equal or beat was indeed, The Bogeyman. This also spread widely.

After a while, the Bogeyman became shortened and what we now more commonly call "par", became known as simply "the bogey".

Later, at the Portsmouth United Services Club it was decided that, as members were mainly officers, this Mr. Bogey should also be one and so they gave him the rank of Colonel. Portsmouth, as well as being a large naval base, is home to the Royal Marines and so, when the official marine marching tune was composed, they named it Colonel Bogey.

Here it is if you feel like whistling along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bmsluWHZc
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

The average number of legs per person in Sweden is 1.999 .

As some people have only one, and some have no legs, more than 99% of the population has more than the average !

I think this probably applies to many other countries as well!
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Ever been to Tasmania?

Check this web site to see if you have outstanding fines. Stacey has been naughty.

BESSELL Stacey Amanda 131 fines 25,333.31$ 2 Rogers St MARYBOROUGH VIC 3465

Steven has been very naughty.

BREAR Steven John 8 fines 236,979.30$ Unit 7 44 Judd St CRONULLA NSW 2230

https://www.justice.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/4 ... ebtors.pdf
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Spiral staircases in medieval castles run clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs, they would not be able to use their right hand, which was holding the sword, because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no trouble, except left-handed people could never become knights because they were assumed to be descendants of the devil.

https://skillpath.com/blog/40-useless-facts-everyone-should-know

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

jjarmstrong47 wrote:
19 Jul 2017 19:34
Do you remember in the film, "Bridge Over The River Kwai" how all the prisoners were marching and whistling to the tune, "Colonel Bogey". Of course you do!
Useless fact: 99.9% of people get the title of this film wrong.

It's: The Bridge on the River Kwai
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Extra fact... its not over a river called Kwai.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

bazza4338 wrote:
09 Jul 2017 08:20
Not "useless" at all - a very interesting fact... thank our lucky stars this man had his full dose of common sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov
Sometimes known as "The man who saved the World". Was he celebrated (together with hundreds of obscure generals etc.) on a Soviet stamp? No- I wonder why!!!

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

bazza4338 wrote:
07 Sep 2021 18:56
Spiral staircases in medieval castles run clockwise. This is because all knights used to be right-handed. When the intruding army would climb the stairs, they would not be able to use their right hand, which was holding the sword, because of the difficulties of climbing the stairs. Left-handed knights would have had no trouble, except left-handed people could never become knights because they were assumed to be descendants of the devil.

https://skillpath.com/blog/40-useless-facts-everyone-should-know
The Kerr/Ker family of the Scottish Borders were often left-handed and built some of their castles accordingly.

A good example is Ferniehirst Castle which has a left-handed spiral staircase to help its defenders.
Nigel

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”