Do you Believe in Global Warming?

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

Do you Believe in Global Warming?

Yes
70%
No
25%
I don't know
5%

Total votes: 88

wristenwrokins
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Do you Believe in Global Warming?

Post by wristenwrokins »

Hello, so many theories, charts, statistics... well, i'll let you my small common sense opinion, wich worths almost nothing:
Co2, methane, etc, have strong influence on earths climate temperature system, as greenhouse effect.
Trees are one way nature stores those carbon gases.
Coal, oil, gas are the result of milions of years of decomposition of large forests, at least a good part of it, stored in natural enclosed cavities.
If we burn this, we,ll be burning millions of years of stored carbon and releasing it thousands of times faster that it was absorbed.
How may this not influence world temperature, in an unnatural rythm??? The worst is that this process is just a fraction of the machine, there's also the albedo effect, the deep seas methane deposits, etc. The earth will have no problem, going it's way for some more thousands of millions of years...

psestamp
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by psestamp »

Through history, our culture has addressed Hysterics in its movies and super-heros.

Spiderman was bit by a Radioactive Spider - This showed our fear of atomic power. (also note about a million 1950's monster movies like, my favorite, ANT!)

Later the story was changed that Peter Parker was bitten by a Genetically Altered spider - our fear of Gene Mutation. Also resulted in a bunch of movies and some political movements that are still around today)

World War Z - our fear of disease (see the Ebola thread).

Now Godzilla is a product of Global Warming - he used to be a product of radioactivity and at one point was a product of garbage (pollution).

Global Warming - if history holds true - will spawn some monster movies - some super heroes and then we will move on to the next "problem" and spawn a totally new group of new monster movies and super heroes.

Stamp Collecting Happened when we Dream Together
Caj Brejtfus, PSE -WE KILL FAKE STAMPS. and always remember...... DFTBA

castores
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by castores »

psestamp wrote:
21 May 2014 05:05
Through history, our culture has addressed Hysterics in its movies and super-heros.

Spiderman was bit by a Radioactive Spider - This showed our fear of atomic power. (also note about a million 1950's monster movies like, my favorite, ANT!)

Later the story was changed that Peter Parker was bitten by a Genetically Altered spider - our fear of Gene Mutation. Also resulted in a bunch of movies and some political movements that are still around today)

World War Z - our fear of disease (see the Ebola thread).

Now Godzilla is a product of Global Warming - he used to be a product of radioactivity and at one point was a product of garbage (pollution).

Global Warming - if history holds true - will spawn some monster movies - some super heroes and then we will move on to the next "problem" and spawn a totally new group of new monster movies and super heroes.

Global Warming (a rather outdated title)

Science fiction is only that, and yes it mirrors the culture, the fears of the day. But it also can hold some truth.

That aside, are you suggesting man made climate change is a furphy? And are you basing your assertions on sci-fi movies vs real life?
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Yes I believe in the global warming phenomenon.

Every day when the sun rises the temperature gets warmer.

But in the evening when the sun sets, it gets cooler.

Quite amazing really, like clockwork, and even more so if you consider this was happening before our meagre eight million years or so of human evolution, and will keep happening long after we’ve gone.

castores

Post by castores »

Rigs wrote:
24 Aug 2021 23:22
Yes I believe in the global warming phenomenon.

Every day when the sun rises the temperature gets warmer.

But in the evening when the sun sets, it gets cooler.

Quite amazing really, like clockwork, and even more so if you consider this was happening before our meagre eight million years or so of human evolution, and will keep happening long after we’ve gone.
I think I'm going to love this, like night turns to day :)

You believe in the "global warming phenomenon", what is that?
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”