Political Consequences of Britain's BREXIT Referendum, 2016

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Political Consequences of Britain's BREXIT Referendum, 2

Post by gavin-h »

MJ's pet wrote:Like the Millennium Bug, midnight ticked over and nothing happened.
Yes, I woke up this morning and was slightly surprised to find that inflation hadn't hit a million percent, everyone in the country wasn't jobless, there were no French cheeses and Spanish wines on the shelves and all the Mercs, Renaults and Fiats hadn't ground to a halt.

And if I was a betting man, I'd bet the same doesn't happen tomorrow, the next day or the first of January next year. :idea:

Now is the time for BOTH SIDES to take a deep breath, accept that we are where we are, stop rubbing the other side's nose in it and work to make the future of our country as good as it can possibly be.

ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by ViccyVFU »

Yep, changes in the EU have been quite minimal, also ....

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Did Britain leave yet? :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Cill Dara
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Cill Dara »

Global Administrator wrote:Did Britain leave yet? :lol:
Yes and no....... :lol:

They still have to pay a small fortune to the EU during 2020, they still have to comply with all existing EU laws on straight bananas etc......and best of all they have to comply with all new 2020 EU laws, without any involvement.

The fun part is just starting, with trade talks commencing in early March.... a howling chimp and an 800 pound gorilla. :mrgreen:

norvic

Post by norvic »

The beard came off!
“ Watch the exact moment the UK left the EU and Adam Hills' beard came off”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThDTz-h8rig
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

For those of you on the ground in Great Britain, is Brexit really regularly discussed and cared about much at all by the great unwashed (joking metaphor for the common man/woman) ((joking-joking meta-metaphor for your average neighbour)), and do most people genuinely care much either way, and are aware of what is happening, or does what we read in the press at a different level than what is really happening with Joe Public on the street in a normal suburban/ country area?

Are we in the Colonies reading extreme ends of a Bell Curve rather than the middle?

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

norvic

Post by norvic »

Personally I think most people are tired of the whole business and just want to see the government get some sort of trade and other agreements not only with Europe but the rest of the world. We did care, but there is nothing we can do about it now. Even between people here on SB whom we respect there is a great difference of opinion as to how we will benefit (aside from the stupid amount of money already spent* on preparation).
(* Spent, rather than wasted, because any money spent actually drives the economy as it is paid to somebody, even if they are consultancy firms and there ought to be some economic benefit. I suppose. I think. )

Because this is still the transitional period there is still much uncertainty for business in many industries. There has been isolated instances of hate crime, such as the notice posted in a tower block in Norwich asking that everybody should speak English and if they wanted to speak the tongue of their motherland they should return to it.

Meanwhile a YouGov poll found that 26% of the population (but 41% of leave voters and only 14% of remain voters) are 'concerned' when they hear people speaking between themselves in a language other than English. Social Media comments suggested that this was the same when the English went to Wales, and that these people are the ones who speak in English while eating their fish and chips in Benidorm. YouGov polls are generally considered fair.

Round here we have had Portuguese for at least 15 years, and it is interesting walking through the marketplace or supermarket trying to work out what language is being spoken - Portuguese I can usually get, Slavic I can spot but not which one, and Turkish must be 'the other one'.

But most of what you are reading is from the Bell Ends.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote:Yep, changes in the EU have been quite minimal, also ....
Norway?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote: Norway?
I think the Austrians got it right - the renegade little Euro province floating out in the sea, lonely and alone, at centre stage left. :lol:

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

Global Administrator wrote:
norvic wrote: Norway?
I think the Austrians got it right - the renegade little Euro province floating out in the sea, lonely and alone, at centre stage left. :lol:
Norway is still in EFTA, part of the EU Single Market and the Schengen Area, although not part of the EU Customs Union.

The Un-united Kingdom is still in a figment of its own dreamworld.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Ok, but the map excludes Madeira.
And Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion, Mayotte, and Saint-Martin.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/eu-vat-ru ... itories_en

collectordave
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by collectordave »

British MPs have now made their job harder they must search farther afield for excuses as now "we are working hard with Europe to have bent bananas" will not work in the future.

I am just waiting for the new excuses to start.

I wonder how long it will be before some interviewer has to tell an MP that Britain is not in the EU.

Just one more thought, Britain can now ignore the VAT rules that the UK negotiated for and raise VAT, the first budget will be a good start.
get to World Collector here
http://worldcollector.eu/

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

collectordave wrote:Just one more thought, Britain can now ignore the VAT rules that the UK negotiated for and raise VAT, the first budget will be a good start.
We're far more likely to reduce VAT and make our goods more attractive to buyers.

And to reduce Corporation Tax to below the levels of EU neighbours to attract inward investment from there to our "offshore tax haven".

We might, of course, do neither. But either way, it's OUR choice, not one that's imposed on us by some overseas faceless bureaucrats. :idea:

OldDuffer1
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by OldDuffer1 »

It seems likely that the EU negotiators will try to pin us down to this idea of a "Level Playing Field" because they are terrified that we will become a major competitor. (Although whenever a "Level Playing Field" is achieved they tend to "Move the Goal Posts"!).

I believe we should resist that at all costs- otherwise we will be effectively bound by many of their rules without the ability to influence them. Obviously goods which we wish to trade with them will have to meet their "standards" (often poorer than our previous British ones!).

I will also be very annoyed if the Govt. trades off our fisheries industry against something else. A "pundit" on the TV recently said that it only represents 0.1% of the economy (implying that it didn't really matter). I would like to see them on a fishing boat on the North Sea in a Force 9 gale!

norvic

Post by norvic »

I don't think 'faceless bureaucrats' imposed anything on VAT that either the Council of Ministers or the Parliamentarians hadn't agreed.

What is interesting about VAT is that despite harmonisation and the reserved right to have zero rating for some goods, the actual rates charged in each country are widely different, even for the same goods. Although the UK may not have had much scope to vary either rates or categories after the Single Market was agreed, we still didn't have a level playing field.

norvic

Post by norvic »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Obviously goods which we wish to trade with them will have to meet their "standards" (often poorer than our previous British ones!).
Yes, a lot of people seem to overlook the fact that if we wish to export to any country our goods must confirm to the regulations in that country.

If Italy decided that indicators were necessary on cars, then we couldn't send them without. :wink:

If Japan decided that front lights had to be green, then we would need to fit green lenses or bulbs on car exports, etc etc.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well Nissan in Sunderland will pull up stumps, and move to Europe, losing 50,000 UK jobs, as all British made cars to EU will now have punitive tariffs on them, making them price uncompetitive, so Britain will no longer have a meaningful car export market, so those theoretical green tail light details are all moot. :)

Exporting all that ugly Seaweed and rocks and boulders from the British "beaches" is however, a lucrative potential market. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Post by 22028 »

OldDuffer1 wrote:Obviously goods which we wish to trade with them will have to meet their "standards" (often poorer than our previous British ones!).
Fortunately we do not use the British AC Plugs and sockets. Honestly, i have lived in the middle east where this system is practically standard but have never seen so many burned plugs and sockets as the one from the British Standards. Ad no, they were not overloaded, the just have a bad contact which leads to heat...
Also, i have never seen a fuse inside a plug or even inside a socket with exception of the British ones..., making the electrical system / fuse box in the house absurdum...

Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

norvic

Post by norvic »

22028 wrote:Fortunately we do not use the British AC Plugs and sockets. Honestly, i have lived in the middle east where this system is practically standard but have never seen so many burned plugs and sockets as the one from the British Standards. Ad no, they were not overloaded, the just have a bad contact which leads to heat...
Also, i have never seen a fuse inside a plug or even inside a socket with exception of the British ones..., making the electrical system / fuse box in the house absurdum...

Well I've reach three score years and ten without ever seeing one like that in this country. All electrical appliances should be fused individually so that any problem will remain at the appliance without affecting the whole system. Some of the electrics I have seen in other European countries worried me!

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

22028 wrote:Fortunately we do not use the British AC Plugs and sockets. Honestly, i have lived in the middle east where this system is practically standard but have never seen so many burned plugs and sockets as the one from the British Standards. Ad no, they were not overloaded, the just have a bad contact which leads to heat...
So, showing a Chinese knock-off pre moulded plug, in UK format, is enough evidence for you to dismiss "a patently far higher standard than the euro three pin system"?

I don't see a kite mark on it, I just see Hong (Kong), which is a part of China, known for shoddy electrical "minimum spec items", which abound on eBay.

The only plugs I have ever seen with burn marks like this are all Chinese made, and I can rustle up a few Euro ones burnt out "by charging an iphone".

The fuse in the plug it to protect the appliance from power surges, and to stop a blown element in the appliance from taking out the whole circuit.

The main fusebox is still required, as that has the electrical trips to stop people getting electric shocks.

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

A Fishy Tail......from HM Boris's desk.

75% of UK fleet catch is exported, 70% of that freely to the EU.

From 1st Jan 2021, per Gov.UK.............. :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Guidance

Export fish to the EU from 1 January 2021

How to export fish for human consumption from 1 January 2021, what documents you may need and customs rules to follow.
Published 4 February 2019
Last updated 23 October 2019 — see all updates

Marine Management Organisation and Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs

The UK has left the EU

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It'll be updated if anything changes.

For current information, read: Catch certificates for non-EU imports and exports of fish

You can also read about the transition period.
Contents

Customs requirements
Get an export health certificate
Send validated catch certificate to the importer
Composite products
Direct landing documents

To export fish to the EU after 1 January 2021, you’ll need to follow the same rules that are currently in place for exports of fish to some non-EU countries. You’ll need to create:

an export health certificate, except for direct landings of fresh fish in EU ports from UK-flagged fishing vessels
a catch certificate - you need to validate this and send it to your importer

You’ll need to follow customs and border inspection requirements. You may also need:

direct landing documents
a storage document
a processing statement

Customs requirements

You must comply with HMRC guidance on customs requirements for exporting to the EU.

These rules will apply to:

exports to the EU of fish caught by a UK flagged fishing vessel
exports to the EU of fish imported from another country that have been stored or processed in the UK
direct landings in EU ports by a UK flagged fishing vessel

Send fish to an EU border control post

You’ll need to send all consignments of fish and fishery products through an EU border control post (BCP) if the fish was both:

caught by a UK flagged vessel
landed in the UK before being transported to the EU

Your EU importer must notify the BCP in advance of your arrival. Notification periods vary. Check with the BCP for more information.

Fishery products entering the EU via Calais or Coquelles must travel to the BCP at Boulogne-sur-Mer under a Common Transit Convention (CTC) declaration submitted up to 72 hours in advance of arrival. Lorries arriving in Calais or Coquelles will be directed to the green corridor to go to the Boulogne-sur-Mer BCP, where checks will be carried out.

Check the HMRC guidance to find out how to move your goods using the Common Transit Convention.
Get an export health certificate

You’ll need an export health certificate (EHC) for all exports of fish to the EU. Find out how to get an EHC.

All exports of fishery products will need to be dispatched from an UK approved food establishment that has been listed by the EU. Find out how to become listed.
Send validated catch certificate to the importer

You must send the validated catch certificate to the importer so they can give them to the receiving country’s competent authority. You must do this for exports by:

sea: 72 hours before landing
air and rail: 4 hours before arriving
road: 2 hours before arriving

Storage document - for fish stored on the UK premises but not processed

If you’re exporting to the EU fish sourced from another country that have been stored on the UK premises for 12 hours or longer, but not processed in any way, you’ll need to create a storage document.

You must keep a copy of the catch certificate from the original consignment with the storage document.
Processing statement - for fish processed in the UK

If you’re exporting to the EU fish sourced from another country that has been processed in the UK, you’ll need to create a processing statement.

Include a copy of the catch certificate from the original consignment with the processing statement.
If you need help

If you need help with general questions you can contact the fish exports helpline.

The fish exports helpline
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Telephone: 0330 159 1989
Find out about call charges
Composite products

Products that contain no meat but contain 50% or more processed fishery product will need to:

enter via a BCP and will be subject to veterinary checks
have an Export Health Certificate

Composite products where the fish makes up more than 20% of the content or uses tariff code 1604 and 1605 will need to be accompanied by a catch certificate.

Read the Export composite food products to the EU after 1 January 2021 guide to find out the rules you’ll need to follow.
Direct landing documents

To land your catch from your UK flagged fishing vessel directly in the EU you’ll need to land in a North East Atlantic Fisheries Commission (NEAFC) designated EU port.

Fishery enforcement officers may inspect your fish when you arrive. You’ll need to show them the catch certificate.

You’ll need to complete a:

prior notification form
pre-landing declaration

Prior notification form

If you’re landing in an EU member state with

exempt fisheries products only, you need to fill in a prior notification for exempt fisheries product form
all other fisheries products, or a combination of exempt and non-exempt products, you need to complete this prior notification form

Regardless of which form you fill in, you must email them to your destination’s designated EU port before landing. You need to send it:

for frozen fish, at least 72 hours before landing - you can fill in the prior notification form before 1 January 2021 for any exports planned from 1 January
for fresh fish, at least 4 hours before landing

Pre-landing declaration

You’ll need to fill in a pre-landing declaration and email it to your destination’s designated EU port 4 hours before landing.

You’ll need to give details of the:

area fished
quantity of fish by species on board the vessel

Special requirements for UK approved fishing vessels

Local Authority approved freezer, reefer or factory vessels that land frozen or processed fish directly into the EU will also require:

a Captain’s Certificate signed by the Captain who is authorised by APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency) or DAERA (Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs)
the fish to be landed into a Border Control Post (BCP) approved for the landed fishery product

‘Processing’ includes activities such as wrapping, mincing, freezing and filleting.

Non-food approved registered vessels that land fresh fish directly into the EU at a NEAFC designated port will not require an Export Health Certificate or need to pass through a BCP. They will still be subject to any normal official controls within the port. ‘Fresh fish’ may have undergone primary production, which may include de-heading or gutting.
North East Atlantic Fisheries Commission (NEAFC) Port State Control forms

You’ll have to register your fishing vessel with NEAFC. Once your vessel is registered, you’ll need to submit a NEAFC Port State Control form (PSC1 or PSC2) before landing.

Check with the NEAFC to find out how much notice you need to give. This will vary depending on the country you’re exporting to and how your product is presented.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote:Well Nissan in Sunderland will pull up stumps, and move to Europe, losing 50,000 UK jobs, as all British made cars to EU will now have punitive tariffs on them, making them price uncompetitive, so Britain will no longer have a meaningful car export market, so those theoretical green tail light details are all moot. :)
Well, if "knowledge is power", I'm going to look for a charging lead to get you plugged in. :D

This from the Guardian (on Monday this week) ...
Global Administrator wrote:Exporting all that ugly Seaweed and rocks and boulders from the British "beaches" is however, a lucrative potential market. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Presumably you are (still) going on about Brighton Pebble Beach, that attracts over 8 million visitors a year (i.e. More visitors than the hole of Australia gets, in any year)?

I put it down to the two active stamp shops, ease of access, "sand free" sandwiches, and ("in excess" of) five days sunshine a year. :D
Last edited by ViccyVFU on 07 Feb 2020 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

..........."All exports of fishery products will need to be dispatched from an UK approved food establishment that has been listed by the EU."

Bloody 'ell mate........filling out forms will be a full time job for Captain Birdseye. :wink:

Taking back control means? :?:

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Cill Dara wrote:..........."All exports of fishery products will need to be dispatched from an UK approved food establishment that has been listed by the EU."

Bloody 'ell mate........filling out forms will be a full time job for Captain Birdseye. :wink:

Wait till you see the UK import forms for French cheeses

The chances of them clearing customs anything less than "fully matured" is now becoming "a remote possibility". :D

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

A Nissan spokesman said on Monday: “We deny such a contingency plan exists. We’ve modelled every possible ramification of Brexit and the fact remains that our entire business both in the UK and in Europe is not sustainable in the event of WTO [World Trade Organization] tariffs.

“Given the size of the European market, the size of the movement that way would be much greater, so overall it would be a hit to UK automotive.”

Also from The Guardian this week........truncated by our roving reporter in Yorkshire. :wink:

norvic

Post by norvic »

ViccyVFU wrote:Presumably you are (still) going on about Brighton Pebble Beach, that attracts over 8 million visitors a year (i.e. More visitors than the hole of Australia gets, in any year)?
Freudian slip>?

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Cill Dara wrote:A Nissan spokesman said on Monday: “We deny such a contingency plan exists".

Hmm, a spokesperson's "official denial", or two people "that were part of the talks"?

The story of Henny Penny (also called Chicken Little), the terrified little chicken convinced that the sky is falling and that life as we, or at least as chickens know it, is over, is common throughout European folklore—so common that “the sky is falling!” and “Chicken Little” and related names have become bywords for fearmongering, and the often tragic results that occur.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote:Freudian slip>?
Whoops, happy to post a correction ...

"Presumably you are (still) going on about Brighton Pebble Beach, that attracts over 8 million visitors a year (i.e. More visitors than the whole of Australia gets, in any year)?"
Although last Saturday moved the average down, a bit ...

locakart
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by locakart »

ViccyVFU wrote:
Cill Dara wrote:..........."All exports of fishery products will need to be dispatched from an UK approved food establishment that has been listed by the EU."

Wait till you see the UK import forms for French cheeses

The chances of them clearing customs anything less than "fully matured" is now becoming "a remote possibility". :D
What a jolly jape - them forrin froggies won't be able to send us cheese without being messed around by good ol' British bureaucrats. How utterly pathetic you are in your chortling.

How petty minded can you brexiters get? Oh, you're the ones who thought that VAT rates were imposed by faceless Europeans - despite some of the bureaucrats having been British from the UK, a country that had a veto until you threw it away. And you are now complaining that you can't veto the rules you don't like. Even though VAT was charged nationally anyway.

What a pity that you never worked out how what you called the Fourth Reich actually worked before taking your bat home.
You may not be interested in strategy, but strategy is interested in you

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

locakart wrote:How utterly pathetic you are in your chortling.
In terms of sentiment, I feel the much same about you ....

"How utterly pathetic you are in your incessant wimpering".

You lost. Get over it.

Then at least you won't be a sore loser .... just a loser!!

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Win Or Lose? I thought the jury was still out on that.

Living in Europe I have had one minor panic attack about Britains exit, what do I do about my full English breakfast? There is only so much you can do with cheese, ham and a boiled egg.

Thankfully went shopping today and there was that lovely bacon (from Denmark) Heinz Baked beans (From Netherlands), eggs (from Portugal), HP sauce (From Netherlands), bread for frying (from Portugal). So panic over I just need to call it a full European breakfast now, I can handle that.

MarkM
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by MarkM »

ViccyVFU wrote:
Global Administrator wrote:Exporting all that ugly Seaweed and rocks and boulders from the British "beaches" is however, a lucrative potential market. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Presumably you are (still) going on about Brighton Pebble Beach, that attracts over 8 million visitors a year (i.e. More visitors than the hole of Australia gets, in any year)?

I put it down to the two active stamp shops, ease of access, "sand free" sandwiches, and ("in excess" of) five days sunshine a year. :D
According to Tourism Australia last year we had 9.3 million come down here. Then again #ScottyfromMarketing, aka our PM, used to run that joint so there may be some BS in that number lingering in TA, like mould spores, from when he ran it..... :evil:

My father in law lived in Hove until he was 11. I can see why he has said in the past that you would only want to visit Brighton Beach once. Although 2 active stamps shops sounds great to me. :D

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ViccyVFU wrote:
norvic wrote:Freudian slip>?
Whoops, happy to post a correction ...

"Presumably you are (still) going on about Brighton Pebble Beach, that attracts over 8 million visitors a year (i.e. More visitors than the whole of Australia gets, in any year)?"
Well if 8 million of you think that is a 'Beach' no wonder migration numbers are as high as they are. :lol: :lol:

And little wonder places like the Costa Del Crap have been packed for decades with invasions of package tour, 100 quid a week all in whatever pittance, pale Pommies tucking into Fool English Breakfasts and warm beer - the sight of all that FINE WHITE SAND mesmerises them! 8)

When wars were fought using slingshots and catapults the "sand" on Brighton Beach was very surely an important Military Asset. :idea:

Sadly it is 2020 now, and the world has moved on.
= = = =
And if ANYONE sane believes a single word of the rubbery Nissan PR spin they they will do a back flip and INCREASE car production in the UK, and pay huge tariffs to export them to the EU, making their cars TOTALLY noncompetitive, you deserve your fate!

NISSAN can export Quality JAPANESE made Nisssans to the UK cheaper landed, than you can make them there with your feather-bedded Unions. Durrrhhh. Remember Japan is also a right hand drive country, so it is an obvious market for them - their largest by far.

You all pay 150 quid a year in licence fees like Lemmings to fund the BBC to the tune of 4 BILLION quid, so read some FACTS from there 2 days back - and not the Nissan PR spin to placate the 50,000 local workers who will soon lost their jobs -

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47115753

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote: so read some FACTS from there 2 days back - and not the Nissan PR spin to placate the 50,000 local workers who will soon lost their jobs -

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47115753
Hmm, 4th Feb 2019 is "definitely more than two days ago" :D

(That was in "peak hatred period" ... things have died down a bit, since then).

Though I would agree that its madness "to pay the BBC £155 a year, to ram home an unremitting anti Brexit message, in clearly biased editorial".

Its probably why that has now landed them with "a review of the licensing system, for a modern age", as reported this week.

locakart

Post by locakart »

ViccyVFU wrote:

You lost. Get over it.

Still on with the "We won, suck it up loser" message yet again, I see. I thought that you were supposed to be calling for us all to pull together now?

You sound much more like a sore winner than I do a sore loser. I wonder why? Maybe you still haven't found a tangible, quantifiable benefit of Brexit yet? Maybe you found out that the 20 million for the NHS was just another lie?

Maybe you actually believe the crap you spouted in an earlier post about the Fourth Reich, in which case you really are beyond any rational discussion.

I'm not whimpering. I'm very annoyed that my grandkids' chances of enjoying an education and a job such as I have had have been torpedoed by ideological idiots and xenophobic economic illiterates.
You may not be interested in strategy, but strategy is interested in you

emason

Post by emason »

Perhaps this beach is more to your liking Glen. :D

This is the nearest beach to where I live called Saltburn Sands - six miles of smooth sand.
So long and smooth is it that several world land speed records have been set on it and many more attempted. Most notably, in 1922 Malcolm Campbell set a new unofficial world speed record of 138 mph in a Sunbeam.
Apologies for continuing this thread's derailment. :cry:
Last edited by emason on 08 Feb 2020 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Bill

drh
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by drh »

It's a total (This Word Auto Censored by Board software!) show and I love reading the Aussie take on this from Glen. Refreshing antidote to the rubbish in the English media.

I voted Leave as I want it to precipitate the break up of the UK. All systems are go!

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

locakart wrote:
ViccyVFU wrote:

You lost. Get over it.

Still on with the "We won, suck it up loser" message yet again, I see. I thought that you were supposed to be calling for us all to pull together now?

You sound much more like a sore winner than I do a sore loser. I wonder why? Maybe you still haven't found a tangible, quantifiable benefit of Brexit yet? Maybe you found out that the 20 million for the NHS was just another lie?

Maybe you actually believe the crap you spouted in an earlier post about the Fourth Reich, in which case you really are beyond any rational discussion.

I'm not whimpering. I'm very annoyed that my grandkids' chances of enjoying an education and a job such as I have had have been torpedoed by ideological idiots and xenophobic economic illiterates.
The only reason your grandchildren have any sort of future is because of the sacrifice made by my grandparents generation

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

drh wrote:It's a total (This Word Auto Censored by Board software!) show and I love reading the Aussie take on this from Glen. Refreshing antidote to the rubbish in the English media.

I voted Leave as I want it to precipitate the break up of the UK. All systems are go!
Raining, or snowing, on our parade.

I don't think the UK will break up. The Scots are too canny to throw out the Barnet formula. I know the IRA dream of a united Ireland, but none of the sensible parties in the Free State want to take over Ulster

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

I have heard the call for us all to be friends or for us all to pull together now.

So why not start that in our own small way by not playing ping pong with our opinions. We are where we are and there is no easy route back.

Why not start a list of all the tangible benefits of the British retreat from Europe? Then all can see how the British people have benefited form brexit.

A benefit being something good we have now which we could not have while a member of the EU.

I would start the list but at the moment I cannot think of any tangible benefit.

Does anyone have one?

PS @emason nice beach been there many times in the past.

drh

Post by drh »

collectordave wrote:I have heard the call for us all to be friends or for us all to pull together now.

So why not start that in our own small way by not playing ping pong with our opinions. We are where we are and there is no easy route back.

Why not start a list of all the tangible benefits of the British retreat from Europe? Then all can see how the British people have benefited form brexit.

A benefit being something good we have now which we could not have while a member of the EU.

I would start the list but at the moment I cannot think of any tangible benefit.

Does anyone have one?

PS @emason nice beach been there many times in the past.
We will be able to nationalise and take back control of all the public utilities sold off since 1979.
We can have a socialist government, something prohibited by the EU.
Ireland can be reunited as a 32 county republic.
Scotland, Cymru and Kernow can be independent again. Not possible in the EU (see Catalunya for example)

MarkM

Post by MarkM »

emason wrote:Perhaps this beach is more to your liking Glen. :D

This is the nearest beach to where I live called Saltburn Sands - six miles of smooth sand.
So long and smooth is it that several world land speed records have been set on it and many more attempted. Most notably, in 1922 Malcolm Campbell set a new unofficial world speed record of 138 mph in a Sunbeam.
Apologies for continuing this thread's derailment. :cry:

Is this the beach that Top Gear used to do the odd car test segment on?

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

ViccyVFU wrote:
Though I would agree that its madness "to pay the BBC £155 a year, to ram home an unremitting anti Brexit message, in clearly biased editorial".

Its probably why that has now landed them with "a review of the licensing system, for a modern age", as reported this week.
Glad somebody else noticed that!

By the way, that plug shown earlier was definitely overloaded and probably fitted with the wrong fuse!

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

Somerset wrote: I don't think the UK will break up. The Scots are too canny to throw out the Barnet formula. I know the IRA dream of a united Ireland, but none of the sensible parties in the Free State want to take over Ulster
Free State ??? :?:

Just arrived back from the Raj, eh Colonel? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yes we do..........in about five years ye Sasanachs will have to change yer flag, at least once. :wink:

maszki

Post by maszki »

collectordave wrote: Why not start a list of all the tangible benefits of the British retreat from Europe? Then all can see how the British people have benefited form brexit.

Does anyone have one?
I have one for you.

The UK can take a leaf from Norway's book and deport Islamic terrorists rather than release them half-way through their jail term and allow them back onto the UK's streets.

https://wayofdharma.com/2019/06/17/norway-waking-up-norway-d ... -excerpts/

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

We were in Oslo a year or so back, and 2 stamp dealers kindly drove us around for a day.

I was astounded at the huge Muslim areas there in Norway, and the number of Muslim residents there.

They presumably are law-abiding, and am all in favour for deporting convicted terrorists of any type - darn good deterrent.

Recent history shows in the UK that their often incredibly lenient treatment has caused more issues, so yes food for thought.

drh

Post by drh »

Cill Dara wrote:
Somerset wrote: I don't think the UK will break up. The Scots are too canny to throw out the Barnet formula. I know the IRA dream of a united Ireland, but none of the sensible parties in the Free State want to take over Ulster

I

Free State ??? :?:

Just arrived back from the Raj, eh Colonel? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yes we do..........in about five years ye Sasanachs will have to change yer flag, at least once. :wink:
It'll be just England soon enough. Westminster is after all the government of England. I look forward to seeing the Butcher's Apron being lowered for the final time.
Doctor, which do you see happening first? Reunited Ireland or Scexit?

collectordave

Post by collectordave »

1. Nationalise our industries?

The EU has never stopped any member country from nationalising industry in their own territory. The only thing all EU members agreed on is no government should use tax payers money to prop up an industry or to make it falsely competitive.

The only change there is that the UK government can now raise taxes to prop up failing industry.

I do not see having my taxes raised as a benefit.

2. Socialist government.

The EU does not stop any democratic government which is a member from electing socialists to government. The only insistence is that it should all be done democratically.

Unless you mean get rid of democracy and install a socialist government but again I do not see a loss of democracy as a benefit.

3. A reunited Ireland.

Nothing to do with the EU just needs Southern Ireland to accept Northern Ireland back and the UK government to release it.

No change there then.

4. Scotland (Caledonia),Wales (Cymru), Cornwal (Kernow)

Interesting case Catalonian independence from Spain. The EU stance was 'it is a Spanish problem'. It was ruled illegal in the Spanish constitutional court and the Spanish government are resolving the situation. Not an EU law in sight.

The same will go for all these three it will take political will on the UK governments part to allow them independence as it always has done so no change there.

5. Deporting Migrants.

Just take control of your borders as many EU states have done.

An easy case is Portugal. When you visit the country you have thirty days, commit a crime in that time and you can be deported.

If you register as resident (you need an address) the initial period is five years with no access to social services.

Health care is available on their NHS but is limited (unless you are from an EU country and carry an EHIC card or have private insurance)

Again committing an offence in this period gets you deported, you do however have some rights to sell property etc before leaving.

After five years you can apply for 'permanent' residence, not quite permanent only valid ten years, which gives greatly increased access to social service and health care.

At any time you can apply for citizenship.

The point here is that leaving the EU does not change anything for the UK so no benefit. The UK Government just needs a kick up the rear end.

emason

Post by emason »

collectordave wrote:Why not start a list of all the tangible benefits of the British retreat from Europe? Then all can see how the British people have benefited form brexit.

Does anyone have one?
I do.

1. Restoration of full Sovereignty.

2. Democratic election of our leaders.
(Not the EU system where a single candidate no-one has heard of is put up.)

All benefits stem from those two.
Best wishes,
Bill

emason

Post by emason »

collectordave wrote:The only thing all EU members agreed on is no government should use tax payers money to prop up an industry or to make it falsely competitive.
The may have agreed this but have then ignored it when it suited them. Consider this:

The UK has breached state aid rules four times in the past 21 years, compared with 29 in France, 45 in Italy and 67 in Germany. (It seems the 'level playing field' the EU wants with the UK is tilted firmly in their favour.)
Last edited by emason on 09 Feb 2020 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Bill

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”