Add your Trivia post for the day

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

bazza4338
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Add your Trivia post for the day

Post by bazza4338 »

Feel free to contribute...

Abraham Lincoln's Beard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Bedell

bazza4338

Re: Trivia

Post by bazza4338 »

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

MY THANKS TO bazza4338.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I have a friend who would love one of these. :D

If only it did Machin's as well! :lol:
Last edited by Allanswood on 16 May 2018 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Many of us would have heard about this Orson Welles production where some U.S. citizens believed that the country was being attacked by Martians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio_drama)

Mercury Theatre - "War Of The Worlds" radio drama play Sunday, October 30, 1938.

However, who knew of this happening in Adelaide eleven years earlier?

(Copied the text to below as it was hard to read as an image)

INVASION PANIC THIS WEEK; MARTIANS COMING NEXT
by R.R. King ©2013
(From Radio Recall, April 2013)

Eleven years before Orson Welles and company aired their version of "The War of the Worlds," Australia enjoyed a "panic broadcast" of its own.

"It was purely a stunt, and took the form of a one-act play. We announced that it was only a stunt, and I cannot understand in these days of wireless and cable communication throughout the world, when there are newspapers every day, and when there has not for years been any suspicion of war between the Empire and any foreign countries, how people could be sufficiently upset as to think it was real. ... If we caused distress to anybody, we are sorry, but our action was taken solely with the object of adding to the interest of the programme prepared for the listening-in public. ..."

--William Smallacombe, assistant manager of Station 5CL (quoted in the 2 July 1927 Adelaide Register)

On Thursday, 30 June 1927, according to that day's issue of the Register, Adelaide's Station 5CL scheduled what was listed only as a "Special broadcast" between 8:09 and 8:25 that evening. The following day, the Adelaide Advertiser reported:

"On several nights prior to Thursday the studio announcer had broadcast that something special would be sent out from 5CL last night. The programme started in the usual way with an orchestral number. At the end of this an announcement was made that startling news had been received, but that no official confirmation had come to hand. A woman then began her song, which was the next item on the programme, but before she had completed the number a big drum was sounded to represent the explosion of a bomb. The woman, as part of the play, screamed, and then the electrical effects of the invasion were introduced." (1 July Advertiser)

The "physical and electrical effects," (i. e., sound effects) were "representative of bombing and gun firing, and suggestive of an air raid" by enemy planes attacking Port Adelaide. A listener gave this description:

Listeners-in were keyed up to a high nervous tension by repeated announcements that there was trouble at the Port, but for lack of confirmation of the rumours they were unable to give any definite information. Following that, a soprano singer was unable to finish her song, and the explanation given was that she had become terrified at the news of the happenings at the Port. Still we were left in suspense, and some minutes later the awful news of the enemy invasion in all its sickening detail was given us. So realistic was it that the statement of the speaker, "Be calm, listeners-in, as long as I am spared to stand here I will tell you what is going on" was just the breaking point for many overwrought nerves. (Excerpt from a letter in the 2 July Register)

The Advertiser reported that "within two minutes of the starting of the stunt innumerable telephone enquiries, including trunk calls, were made to the station in Franklin-street, asking what had actually happened. The calls included one from the police at the Outer Harbor, which was first received, and others were from the Police Department and the detective office in Adelaide. ... For two hours the three telephone lines of Central Broadcasters Limited [the station's owner] were employed solely in answering queries, and calls came from Melbourne and Terowie, among other places." (1 July Advertiser) Meanwhile, "Hundreds of people ... telephoned to the newspaper offices, the police, harbours, and telephone departments, and the fire brigades for confirmation" of the invasion. (1 July Register) Police and newspaper offices reported being "inundated" with "countless" phone calls "throughout the evening" even as the station made announcements "frequently" that the broadcast was "merely a play." (1 July Advertiser)

Some idea of the public reaction can be gleaned from letters published in local newspapers in the days following. One writer condemned the broadcast as "a ridiculous, thoughtless joke, deserving severe censure. People in a weak state of health, especially women, would be seriously affected by it. I know of at least two who were unnerved by the event." Another wrote: "I wish to protest against the foolish action of station 5CL on Thursday night in working old women and children into a panic. My wife was frightened so much that she had to knock a neighbor up for company (I was working and was not home). In the street she met a middle-aged woman on the verge of collapse, and goodness knows how many invalids and aged people are suffering through the most indiscreet action of Central Broadcasters." (2 July Advertiser)

Alfred Louis Brown, Central Broadcasters' general manager -- who described the broadcast as "a one-act play entitled 'An Imaginary Invasion,' in which 30 performers had parts" (1 July Register) -- suggested that "the reason for the consternation among listeners was that they had tuned into 5CL after the play had started, and thus did not know the nature of the item." Word-of-mouth to non-listeners seems to have played a role as well: "...a woman who was the only person in possession of a wireless set in her street, immediately rushed out and told all the others in that thoroughfare, causing general alarm." (1 July Advertiser)

A brief "Special Cable" to The New York Times (under the headline "'Air Invasion' by Radio Scares Australians") noted that "many women and children became hysterical and even men were alarmed" and "the fire brigade was called up and at least one family prepared to motor into the hills for refuge." (2 July Times) The Times piece also discussed the similar "panic" inspired by Father Ronald Knox's January 1926 BBC segment "Broadcasting the Barricades" -- as did the same day's Adelaide Register, in a condemnatory editorial entitled "A Stupid Hoax":

That so many people were deceived, and some of them terrified, is a tribute to the realism with which the affair was staged. But the ingenuity thus exhibited was misdirected, and the precautions taken to warn the more emotional section of the public of the fictitious nature of the proceedings described were entirely inadequate. It was not as if the authors of the "stunt" had not had warning of the unfortunate consequences liable to follow a too-realistic representation of so sensational an occurrence. Cable messages some months ago related the alarm which had been raised among nervous listeners-in in Great Britain, by the broadcasting from London [sic] of the description of an enemy [sic] bombardment of the metropolis, a hoax which was widely condemned, though it gave radio enthusiasts a good laugh after they had got over their tremors. (2 July Register)

As in Britain, some Aussies had a good laugh, too. One listener wrote:

It is indeed amusing to read of the consternation caused by the stunt put on the air by 5CL on a recent evening. It makes one wonder what has happened to the perceptive powers of some people. Although the whole thing was staged in the studio, there was no mistaking the fact that the whole thing was only a "stunt." In my opinion 5CL are to be congratulated for the diversion they submitted, especially the announcer, who showed a rare sense of humor in his impromptu utterances. His closing remark that the whole situation was saved owing to the timely arrival of a large body of "Twinklerites" and Boy Scouts should have been sufficient to illustrate to any one that the whole thing was a clever departure from the ordinary style of programme. (15 July Advertiser)

The night after the broadcast, another station, 5DN, aired a skit poking fun at the "Invasion of Adelaide":

Listeners were led in a spirit of fun to the "Island of Timbuctoo," where they heard the details of the invasion of the island by what was described as "a band of untamed Zulus." Much comedy was extracted from the situation, which served to show how ridiculous such "stunts" can be, if looked at from the right angle. (2 July Register)

And then, exactly one week after the "panic," 5CL aired another, even more ridiculous stunt:

Last Thursday evening, listeners throughout Australia who tuned in to broadcasting station 5CL were surprised to hear a remarkable broadcasting stunt, which has caused comment throughout the Commonwealth. This evening 5CL are staging another stunt. It is not likely on this occasion that people will be perturbed, as previous notice has been given. At 8.30 a scientific novelty will be transmitted. It will consist of a description of a remarkable invention. Besides listening to the description, listeners will be able to see a part of the proceedings by watching outside when the signal is given by the broadcasting station. (7 July Advertiser)

Incredible as it may seem, this week's play involved a professor, interplanetary travel, and some attacking Martians:

... The principal characters were "Professor Gravotti," an Italian scientist, and his two assistants, "James Jones" and "William Savage." By means of machinery capable of making use of the power of gravity for motive purposes the professor essayed a trip to Mars. The whole trip was described by radio, including the christening of the car by "Lady Byrd," the sound of the bottle of wine breaking, and of the dynamo giving trouble in the car during its flight. By means of re-broadcasting across an electronic ether beam from the car, a description of the events during the trip was given. The arrival on Mars of the party was described in detail, and signals from the car faded at a critical time when the Martians were attacking the car. 5CL have promised over the air that "Professor Gravotti" will return. A novel feature was the dispatch of a large rocket during the evening from the wireless station at Brooklyn Park. ... (8 July Advertiser)

Yes, the station apparently launched an actual rocket during the broadcast. Here's an account from another newspaper:

... The whole of the details of a trip from the earth to Mars were given in novel fashion. Listeners had been informed beforehand that a certain Professor Gravotti had perfected a piece of apparatus in which he intended to make a trip through space. This consisted of a spherical car made of a new metal capable of withstanding the effects of corrosion and heat. At an advertised time, the departure of the car from the earth was broadcast in every detail. The sound of the whirring dynamos, the escape of surplus air from the car's air producing plant, the testing out of the different apparatus and the words of farewell were heard. Before being despatched the car was christened, and the breaking of a bottle against the metal walls of the car was heard. A small dog, the pet of the travellers, was heard barking his farewell before the airtight portholes were closed with a "crash." Listeners were then told to watch the sky above the city of Adelaide for the departure of the machine. Many saw the large rocket sent up by 5CL to heighten the allusion. [sic] Communication between the car hurtling through space and the broadcasting station was carried on and the noises associated with such an event were faithfully reproduced. All the information given during this broadcast was based on scientific knowledge of the heavenly bodies. (8 July Port Pirie Recorder)

Station 5CL continued to schedule Thursday night "stunts" that summer and its activities apparently earned it some international coverage. The radio column in the 19 August Port Pirie Recorder notes that "reports have been printed in European papers of several [of] 5CL's stunt transmissions. Considerable interest is taken in Europe of events in Australia, but this is the first time that considerable space has been devoted to a description of one station's stunts."

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

R. R. King is currently employed as a chauffeur in Kansas where he enjoys reading up on radio and film history. He is an occasional contributor to the internet's OTR Digest.

https://www.mwotrc.com/rr2013_04/invasionpanic.htm

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

From 1978 until 1999, Weight Watchers was owned by the H. J. Heinz Company, which continues to produce packaged foods bearing the Weight Watchers brand.

In October 2015 Oprah Winfrey purchased a 10% stake in Weight Watchers for an estimated $43 million.

A 2015 systematic review found that at 12 months Weight Watchers was associated with 2.6% more weight loss than those who were in a control group. There is a lack of evidence beyond this period of time.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Al Capone had a brother - the white sheep of the family - who became a town marshal and sheriff in Nebraska. Capone's only son, Albert, owned a flower shop.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

The notorious American gangster, Machine Gun Kelly, (George Kelly Barnes July 18, 1895 – July 18, 1954) never killed a single person in his lifetime.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Emergency crews taught how to cut off penis rings or extract items stuck in hard to reach places

THERE’S been a spate of sex toy injuries in Germany recently — and the problem is so huge fireys have undergone special training.
James Cox The Sun May 20, 20188:18pm
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/emergency-crews- ... 9537c01cb1

FIREFIGHTERS in Germany are being specially trained to rescue men from sex toy emergencies following a recent spike in kinky mishaps.

The new training involved emergency crews being drilled in how to cut off penis rings or extract items that have got stuck in hard to reach places.

The course was launched recently after a spike in calls from men whose raunchy antics had left them in serious trouble.

Incidents include a man with crochet needles stuck in his urethra and another who got his manhood stuck in a bottle.

In another eye-watering emergency call, crews had to attend a man with a whole apple stuck up his bottom.

And in another incident, a weightlifter in Worms in Rhineland-Palatinate state needed fire crews to help him get his member unwedged from the hole in the middle of a 2.26kg iron weight.

It took more than three hours to cut him free, and the weight had to be shattered with an industrial powered grinder, then cut to pieces with a vibrating saw.

The training seminar is called Maschinenunfaelle in German, which translates to “mechanical failures”.

It teaches participants how to remove sex toys without hurting the trapped person.

More than 600 firefighters were given a lesson in how to remove penis rings in Dresden this week as part of the special training.

The 15-minute rescue technique involves inserting a spatula between the victim’s penis and the ring before it is cut off with a grinder.

While the fire crews work, the stuck man is bandaged and covered in a heat shield blanket which can absorb heat up to 4000 degrees Celsius.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Adolf Hitler's teeth debunk conspiracy theories over death, scientists say

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-21/adolf-hitler-died-in-1 ... es/9782016

Lingering conspiracy theories surrounding Adolf Hitler's death may have been put to rest, with French scientists saying they have conclusively proved he died in 1945.

The majority of historians believe Hitler committed suicide in his Berlin bunker, and a study published on Friday in the European Journal of Internal Medicine claims to present evidence the Nazi dictator died from taking cyanide and a bullet to the head.

The study examined Hitler's teeth, which were put on display in an exhibition in Moscow in 2000, and appears to back up the widely held view he died on April 30, 1945 with his companion Eva Braun.

The analysis found white tartar deposits and no traces of meat fibre, as Hitler was vegetarian.

It also revealed bluish deposits on his false teeth, an indication of the chemical reaction between cyanide and the metal of his dentures.

The team also looked at a skull fragment, said to be from the German dictator, which showed a hole on the left side in all probability caused by a bullet.

Professor Philippe Charlier, who headed the study, said the teeth were undoubtedly Hitler's and proved he died at the end of World War II.

"We can stop all the conspiracy theories about Hitler. He did not flee to Argentina in a submarine, he is not in a hidden base in Antarctica or on the dark side of the moon," he said.

Historians believe Hitler took his own life as Russian forces closed in during the final stages of the battle for Berlin.

It is believed his body was hastily cremated near his bunker, with the teeth and other fragmentary remains later seized by Russian officials and sent back to Moscow on the orders of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Why are Arkansas and Kansas pronounced differently?

Both Arkansas and Kansas derive their names from the Native-American Kansa tribe (pronounced as Kan-SAW). Kansas is an English spelling of the tribe's name, leading to the current pronunciation. Arkansas is French, and the trailing "s" is therefore silent.

Arkansas was named for the French plural of a Native American tribe.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

German Sniper Mask WWI

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/3t9wzp/wwi_german_sniper_mask/

The sniper mask used in WWI was dual purposed.

First it provided a level of protection as armor. It allowed the sniper to be able to take an elevated firing position above a trench line and as such would deflect incoming rounds. The second, and most important purpose, was to disrupt the shape of the sniper when in a firing position.

As most of the terrain in the battle field was mostly "scorched earth" when the mask was introduced it made the snipers presented profile appear to be a rock or metallic object in the field.

When in a prone shooting stance the sniper wouldn't give an observer a reason for a second glance. When in a defiladed firing position and either a kneeling or low profile standing shooting stance the snipers mask made the head appear to be part of the structure/object giving cover.

Functional camouflage at its best. Whether it truly provided a level of armored protection I don't know.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-German-snipers-wear-masks-in-WWI

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Does a military pilot get some kind of punishment if he ejects from a plane?

For F-4 pilots who eject a second time from an F-4, there is a very special punishment:

THEY ARE GROUNDED AND WILL NEVER FLY AN F4 AGAIN!

Who gives them this punishment? Their boss? Nope! The Board of Inquiry? Nope! The Flight Surgeon? Yup!

You see, ejection from an F-4 permanently compresses your spine. Two times & you’re done!

Note the profile of the WSO in this picture. That’s some serious acceleration. You can actually see the compression in action.

While the two-ejection limit was true for the Air Force, it was not true for the US Navy. I once knew and flew with a Navy RIO who had five ejections. Only the first four were successful. (Lt. David J. “Goose” Lortscher. His callsign Goose later became the RIO character’s callsign in the movie, Top Gun.)

https://www.quora.com/

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Feniseca tarquinius (Harvester Butterfly)

By D. Gordon E. Robertson - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19389175

This butterfly is the only carnivorous (i.e., insectivorous) butterfly in North America.

Unlike other American butterflies whose larvae feed on plants, caterpillars of the Harvester (Feniseca tarquinius) feed only on wooly aphids! Living wooly aphids!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feniseca

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

What is the most British thing ever?

In 1982, British Airways Flight 9—a 747 with 248 passengers on-board—inadvertently flew into a volcanic ash cloud over the Indian Ocean. The ingestion of ash caused all four engines to fail mid-flight.

With a ditching in the ocean seemingly inevitable, Captain Eric Moody, in a pièce de résistance of British stoicism, made the following announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

There are many stupid laws in Scotland and the UK that have never been repealed. Probably because they are too stupid to have ever been applied, or they are fabricated; see if you can guess which is which.

1. It is an offence for a Scotsman to have anything worn under his kilt, for which he can be fined two cans of beer.

2. It is illegal in Scotland to be drunk in charge of a cow.

3. It is an offence to handle salmon in suspicious circumstances.

4. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

5. It is legal for a pregnant woman to pee in a policeman's helmet.

6. It is illegal to be drunk in charge of a horse.

7. It is illegal to have female pallbearers in Scotland.

8. It is illegal to be drunk on licensed premises.

Answers:

1. This is tongue in cheek. Nothing is worn under my kilt - it is all in perfectly good working order.

2. An offence under the Licensing Act 1872 but would probably be dealt with under common law crimes if there were a danger to the public or injury resulted.

3. Yup, an offence under the Salmon Act 1986. Now that's a fishy business.

4. Absurd as it is, it might be worth considering going there if you have a heart attack rather than the hospital.

5. Incredibly, people have petitioned to get rid of this law, despite it not being true, citing it as an insult to male police officers. Only male police officers in London wear a helmet, female officers wear a cap. I think it would be nice if they kept this law and included female caps too - female solidarity!

6. This is very true. We had a farmer who was banned from driving for three years for driving under the influence. One night we found him on his horse riding it six miles back from the pub. With no lights or reflective gear he was a danger to himself and other road users. We escorted him home, to make sure the horse was safe and then charged him.

7. Not true - although one canny old spinster requested that her pallbearers be all female; she stated that as no male was willing to take her out when she was living she didn't want them taking her out when she was dead.

8. Not quite, you have to be drunk and disorderly. Although it is an offence to try to enter a pub when drunk. It is an offence to serve alcohol to a drunk person - how do you tell? The good thing is the Licensing Scotland Act also provides that it is an offence to refuse to leave. One way or another you got to go.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Q-Tips

Why "Q"?

Cotton swabs (American English) or cotton buds (British English) consist of one or two small wad(s) of cotton wrapped around one or both end(s) of a short rod made of wood, rolled paper or plastic. They are commonly used in a variety of applications including first aid, cosmetics application, cleaning, and arts and crafts.

The tool was invented in the 1920s by Polish-American Leo Gerstenzang after he watched his wife attach wads of cotton to toothpicks.

His product, named "Baby Gays", went on to become the most widely sold brand name: Q-tips, meaning "quality tips".

The term "Q-tips" is often used as a genericised trademark for cotton swabs in the US and Canada.

The Q-tips brand is owned by Unilever and had over $200 million in US sales in 2014.

Although doctors have said for years that it is not safe to use cotton swabs for ear cleaning, it remains the most common use.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Why do some airlines always ask passengers to remove earphones during take off or landing?

Sebastian Lender, Airline Pilot

Originally Answered: Why does the cabin crew ask you to remove your headphones during landing?

The cabin crew ask you to remove your headphones. “yes of course”, you say. When they turn around you put them on again and continue listening to your Justin Bieber album. The landing continues as normal until flock of birds go through both engines and sever some hydraulic lines. It's going to hit hard. You notice a mumble over the public address system. “Pilot reassuring us after that turbulence” you say as you give a little grin at all the scared passengers around you. The cabin crew start shouting something but who cares when you're rocking with Bieber! The next thing you know you are in excruciating pain and struggling to remain conscious. You have fractured both arms on multiple places, shattered your shins, you have a throbbing head but that's the least of your concerns after the vertical compression broke your back. But not the other passengers: they all took up the brace position like they were told. Guess you should have turned off Justin for those few minutes.

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”