Prince Harry & Meghan - exiles in North America Discussion

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Prince Harry & Meghan - exiles in North America Discussion

Post by Brit-Col »

Ok, I admit this is fanciful and silly but...

If Prince Harry and Meghan move to Canada as they’ve declared is their intention what would stop the Canadians from saying, “stuff this nonsense of having our Monarch on the other side of the Atlantic, we want one one who is resident here?”

Could we have both William and Harry be Kings at the same time?

Such things used to happen in Europe somewhat routinely back in the day.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: How Harry could become King?

Post by satsuma »

Quote from "The Castle":

Tell him he's dreaming!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Canada's first black Queen ..... there's an idea. :lol:

America had Obama, and now we have this Hollywood minor one hit wonder Princess in more ways than one. ..... they could do a weekly soapie series perhaps? Perhaps enlist an unemployed Kardashian?

"Our Lives As Minor Royals"

Peddle their own brand of coffee and biscuits and Yo Yos etc? :idea:

Let's be a wannabe American Princess, and spend near 3 million quid of public monies tarting up the digs, (that they now want to keep!) another 32 MILLION QUID (A$65 MILLION) of taxpayer money on the full Royal Wedding - 20% more than William and Kate, who WILL ascend the throne. This pair never will.

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-culture/culture/a23559960/e ... l-wedding/

But taxpayers still will need to spend a million dollars a year for security watching over them for the things they cherry pick to do. :roll: :roll:

Bask in all that publicity, every little girl's dream, marry a Prince in an obscenely priced $800,000 dress, and then quit the job, without following usual protocol, and rack off to Canada for half the year.

No wonder the Queen and other real Royals are fuming. The word DUTY was instilled in them, and those they marry.

This pair seem to want to pick and choose the bits they like, and ignore the bits they do not, and want all that to be funded, as if they were working all year.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

DJM
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: How Prince Harry could become King?

Post by DJM »

Like one reporter/insider said - Megan could always go back to acting but apart from the military, Harry hasn't really done anything else !

House husband maybe ?

D.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Harry has a personal worth of about $US50 million from Diana and QM Estate, with a regular annual income stream on top from Charles, of a few million quid a year.

Megan is worth probably less than I am, surprise, surprise, but even so, ~$US50 million is a fairly decent sum, topped up yearly, that a family of 3 should be able to just scrape by on, and not need the British taxpayers to add a cent.

Buys a nice home, a nice car, $20 bottles of wine, and a few TV sets etc, with a little left over. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

maszki
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by maszki »

Global Administrator wrote: "...... seem to want to pick and choose the bits they like, and ignore the bits they do not, and want all that to be funded, as if they were working all year."
Sheriff, your quote (above) highlights the desire of many (majority?) of the planet's population.

Well done....

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Global Administrator wrote:This pair seem to want to pick and choose the bits they like, and ignore the bits they do not, and want all that to be funded, as if they were working all year.
With his dysfunctional mother and her dysfunctional father, are you REALLY surprised at that?

I'm not!

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

Reminds me of Scotland. "We want to leave home, be independent, decide our own future, but you must absorb all of our debts, pay our visa bills and send pocket money."

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Doesn’t seem to be much sympathy for Harry and Meghan here - or elsewhere.

I’ll take the opposing side for discussion’s sake.

If you’re born into royalty from the moment of birth your life is dictated to you. You’re “groomed” from childhood as to your “duty” and loaded down with expectations of how you should behave and what you should do.

Your own interests and desires are at best secondary or tertiary (well, Princess Anne did have her horses).

You can’t even marry who you want to (well, Charles did eventually).

Harry bucked the system, found a lady he loved, married her, and has gotten a shipload of opprobrium for it. She has gotten her own share, partly for being American and partly - sadly - from ill-concealed racism.

So why wouldn’t they want to escape?

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

However, none of the above discussion has addressed the basic question in the OP.

I’ll ask it explicitly.

Could Canada (or any other realm) decide it wants to continue as a constitutional monarchy but choose another monarch? Particularly another member of the House of Windsor, e.g., Harry?

BC

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Brit-Col wrote:However, none of the above discussion has addressed the basic question in the OP.

I’ll ask it explicitly.

Could Canada (or any other realm) decide it wants to continue as a constitutional monarchy but choose another monarch? Particularly another member of the House of Windsor, e.g., Harry?

BC
I'll attempt to give a reasoned answer to that.

Many Commonwealth countries have become independent and chosen their own head of state. Most of these are republics, but some, for instance Tonga have their own Royal Families.

If Canada chose to go down the route of choosing a head of state other than the Queen (or her successor) there is no reason why they should not do so.

Presumably there would be some kind of plebiscite/referendum as to whether the Canadian people wished to become a republic or an independent monarchy.

If they chose the latter, there would likely be some kind of citizenship rules, though if the desire was to have King Harry I / Henry I / Henri I, I'm sure those rules would be written in such a way as to permit that (or at least be flexible enough to be bent that way!)

Obstacles? Firstly, the British establishment would not like it and would probably try to find some obscure rule to prevent it, but ultimately Canada's choice would be Canada's choice.

Secondly, there may be some backlash from the French Canadiens who would probably put forward an argument for a Bourbon monarch or some such.

An interesting question! 8)

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

That would depend entirely on how that realm's current constitution is phrased, what processes are involved if those constitutions need change, and whether the populations of those countries wish to support such a constitutional change.

Even the most basic constitution tends to define in quite explicit terms who is the initial head of state and the process for appointing a replacement, as needed or required.

The Australian constitution puts it this way:

Preamble

2. Act to extend to the Queen's successors
The provisions of this Act referring to the Queen shall extend to Her Majesty's heirs and successors in the sovereignty of the United Kingdom.

Part I - General

1. Legislative power
The legislative power of the Commonwealth shall be vested in a Federal Parliament, which shall consist of the Queen, a Senate, and a House of Representatives, and which is hereinafter called The Parliament, or The Parliament of the Commonwealth.
2. Governor-General
A Governor-General appointed by the Queen shall be Her Majesty's representative in the Commonwealth, and shall have and may exercise in the Commonwealth during the Queen's pleasure, but subject to this Constitution, such powers and functions of the Queen as Her Majesty may be pleased to assign to him.

So the Queen could appoint Harry as Governor General of Australia; but Harry could not become Monarch without the preamble being changed away from "successors in the sovereignty of the United Kingdom"

That is, of course assuming that those closer in line to the English throne don't all abdicate or die untimely, in which case Harry would become Monarch of both UK and Australia.

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Brit-Col wrote:You can’t even marry who you want to (well, Charles did eventually).
Not just Charles :wink: The Princess Royal Anne you mentioned married captain Mark Phillips who was an Olympic champion but with no royal background in the least :wink:

Then she successfully divorced from him and... married Timothy Laurence, who did not either belong to the royalty, as far as I can understand.

I doubt it was HRM the Queen's choice :)
Brit-Col wrote:So why wouldn’t they want to escape?
So why couldn't they? Yet, let them leave all their royal privileges (related to their royal duties) behind them, and live on their own means :wink: That whould be fair at least.

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

The life of a sibling of the monarch of GB, or a sibling to an heir in the direct line of succession is a difficult one. They are subjected to much the same scrutiny as the ruler or direct heir but have far less prestige or power or (particularly) money. Some handle this well and find their own niche and some don't.

Could Harry become Henry I of Canada or elsewhere ? All it would take is legislation or constitutional change to make him a King. Symbolic or otherwise. I don't see this as a real possibility.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Who would WANT such a couple as Monarchs? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Megan will have her beady American eyes already fixed on 50% of his $US50 million, in a juicy divorce settlement, sooner rather than later, is my guess. Now that UK Taxpayers have funded her $A65 million fairy tale Wedding that she now has the Video of, (that even her father and most of her family were not invited to) so you would soon have a half Monarchy!

The Canadians are surprisingly (to me) Royal focused - the Queen is on currency notes and stamps, and large crowds materialise for Royal Visits.

But like Australia, I think a lot of this is respect for the Queen in particular, and not Royalty per se.

William and Kate taking the reins are the best hope for respect for the Royal Family continuing on, in that way. Relevant, young, well behaved, and both apparently well adjusted to their future roles.

Hopefully Charles has the brains and foresight to formally abdicate FAST and pass on the baton, when the Queen passes, as he and Camilla would be sure fire poison to the "Brand" in many eyes. And the pent up wish for a Republic here (and likely in other places) would be a cinch to pull off, if Charles was King.

Charles is 71 now. And loopy. And if he survives the Queen (not a given!) would be the oldest person to be crowned in British history when he eventually succeeds the Queen. The previous record-holder, William IV, was aged 64 years, 10 months and five days when he became king in 1830.

figmente
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by figmente »

The monarch serves as symbolic head of state, with practically no powers. The other royals serve as representatives of the monarch, to bestow that prestige on more events.

How many such active representatives is enough?

How far from the throne is far enough to limit the call of that duty and pursue something else in life without inspiring howls of "dereliction of duty" ?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Britcollector wrote:Reminds me of Scotland. "We want to leave home, be independent, decide our own future, but you must absorb all of our debts, pay our visa bills and send pocket money."
Yes, pretty much. :lol: :lol:

Except here, the ''Pocket Money'' runs to 7 or 8 figures annually!

Glen

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

figmente wrote:The monarch serves as symbolic head of state, with practically no powers. The other royals serve as representatives of the monarch, to bestow that prestige on more events.

How many such active representatives is enough?

How far from the throne is far enough to limit the call of that duty and pursue something else in life without inspiring howls of "dereliction of duty" ?
Harry is what? 6th or 7th in line now, and becoming King of the UK is about as likely as him starring in a reboot of the Dirty Harry movies.

I have no problem with him going his own way, and to be honest, I don't understand why all the fuss. He is pretty much a nobody outside the tabloids and the Firm, and should be just quietly let go.

If Canada wanted to change the Constitution and make him the token ruler, that is their issue. I don't have a problem with that either.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Global Administrator wrote:The Canadians are surprisingly (to me) Royal focused - the Queen is on currency notes and stamps, and large crowds materialise for Royal Visits.
To be fair, who’s that on the Aussie $1 & $2 coins and $5 note? (Unless things have recently changed.)

Although she has largely disappeared from Aussie stamps.

By the way, Glen, you need to fix the typo in your auto-signature. While Bushire has an interesting postal history it does not as far as I know require any funds. :D

BC

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

fromdownunder wrote:
Harry is what? 6th or 7th in line now, and becoming King of the UK is about as likely as him starring in a reboot of the Dirty Harry movies.
No chance of him being King, agree.

But if you cheerfully take $50 MILLION in UK taxpayer money in the past couple of years, you are clearly obliged to give something back in return.

That other American social climbing previoulsy married floozie, Wallis Simpson, who split the Royal Family totally apart, should have been a crystal clear history lesson to Harry, but many of his past actions amply prove he is none too bright.

Sparkle Markle is clearly already disliked by other female members of the Royal Family, especially Kate, and it is widely accepted she has caused a serious rift between William and Harry.

Edward and Wallis lived in Exile overseas (sound familiar Harry?!) and KGVI banned ANY member of the Royal Family, even his brothers of Mountbatten to attend their wedding in France. And neither attended QE2's wedding. And KGVI repeatedly refused to allow Simpson to be styled Her Royal Highness.

The Queen Mother refused to speak to Wallis Simpson, or to even be in the same room as her, and she was not invited to the funeral of KGVI - her brother in law.

Many might not realise that when the Queen Mother died, hitherto secret documents about the abdication were released, which shows the Queen Mother (KGVI's wife) and Queen Mary – the mother of both men, both really hated the American, Wallis Simpson.

In a now public 1938 letter from the new King George VI, to Prime Minister Chamberlain, regarding proposals for his brother to visit Britain, King George wrote: "I think you know that neither the Queen or Queen Mary have any desire to meet the Duchess of Windsor."

The internal Royal Family split was so final, that George could not even bring himself to reveal the reality to Edward VIII. KGVI told Chamberlain in the recently de-classified letters: "Perhaps my brother would take this decision in a more friendly manner from you, than me?"

Edward and Wallis were courted actively by Hitler, and both gave him the full Nazi Salute in the late 1930s. Prime Minister Churchill threatened the Duke with a court-martial if he did not return to British soil. Again Harry has learnt nothing from history.

psestamp

Post by psestamp »

Every time someone steps down.... I get one person closer to being the King of England.
Stamp Collecting Happened when we Dream Together
Caj Brejtfus, PSE -WE KILL FAKE STAMPS. and always remember...... DFTBA

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

psestamp wrote:Every time someone steps down.... I get one person closer to being the King of England.
That would be a neat trick. There has not been a King of England since 1702 (William III). The last Monarch of England was Queen Anne, in 1702, who later became Queen of Great Britain in 1707. Do try to keep up, after all, its been 317 years since there was a King of England

Norm

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

Oh, Norm, too funny. There really needs to be a "like" button on SB!

BC

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Global Administrator wrote:Wallis Simpson, who split the Royal Family totally apart
Without disagreeing with the sentiments above, it was Edward VIII ("David") himself and not Wallis Simpson, who tore the Royal Family apart.

She was hated by nearly everybody for sure, but it was David that chose to carry on an affair with an American divorcee. He could have told her to hit the road.

He had loads of affairs with married women with full knowledge of the Palace. (So if was not Wallis, it would have been someone else). He paid little attention to royal duties for decades before he became King and was openly resentful in having to do any of it. He was the Party Prince long before Harry was ever born. In short, he was a trainwreck that could be seen from miles away.

Indeed, she (Wallis Simpson) was prepared to leave him so that he could remain on the throne. If he allowed that then no constitutional crisis. He was so dysfunctional that he couldn't bear her leaving and renounced the throne, hence his famous quote:

I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as king as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love ...

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Quite true of course. Simpson slept with endless married men as well of course, before and after meeting KEVIII, including the German ambassador in London, Joachim von Ribbentrop, in 1936, and remained in constant contact with him FBI files show, and had continued to leak secrets to the Germans.

George V favoured his second son Albert ("Bertie") and Albert's daughter Elizabeth ("Lilibet"), later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II respectively.

KGV told a courtier, "I pray to God that my eldest son (Edward) will never marry and have children, and that nothing will come between Bertie and Lilibet and the throne."

What an assessment from the King - your own father!

Anyway, tangential only to Harry/Megan of course, but a lot of similarities in my view. History teaches nothing to some.

Glen

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

I always felt that Wallis was the brains behind KE VIII the decisions. A twice divorced lady trading up to the softest and best nest there was to find.

I feel similarly in this case. To me, Meghan is calling the strategy.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Britcollector wrote:I always felt that Wallis was the brains behind KE VIII the decisions. A twice divorced lady trading up to the softest and best nest there was to find.

I feel similarly in this case. To me, Meghan is calling the strategy.
Yes, Harry is not the sharpest knife in the drawer - many of his past indiscreet and foolish actions show that.

Unlike his bother William, I doubt he has one iota of House of Windsor genes personally, and the freely admitted on both sides, many years affair between Diana and her red-haired riding instructor James Hewitt, might well be the clue!

Canada is welcome to them both really. :lol: :lol:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

James Hewitt gave an interview and said he was not Harry's father - but of course he would say that. How could he 100% know.

As far as anyone knows Harry has never had a DNA test. Although there are $millions$ of good reasons for him not to have one.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Yes, that was definitely viewed as a "major c*ck up" in royal terms.

The last Royal "majors" to try and monetise the monarchy were probably Fergie and Andrew
- They seemed to have a lot of outside commercial interests inconsistent with public service, and quickly fell from grace.

Harry will always have his Invictus Games patronage to fall back on, and the lucrative speaker circuit means "as few as two engagements a month" would bring in a decent income stream.

Do I care about a security guard charge? Not at all.

If Charles becomes king, I'd expect to pick up the tab to guard his close family.
If William became king, I'd expect to pick up the tab for guarding his brother.
(No big deal - its not in my top 100 of things we currently waste money on).

I do worry that "she is the driver behind the relationship"... his insecurities seem to shine through on every interview.

I hope he got a good pre-nuptial agreement in place, because five years down the line, "the Monarchy does not like to do its laundry via the courts". ('Nuff said).

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Prince Harry was born on 15 September 1984.

James Hewitt says he met Diana at Buckingham Palace and, in 1986, he was employed to conduct her horse riding lessons:

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/poor-chap-pri ... uwjel.html

That does not rule out them having met prior of course. :wink:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

ViccyVFU wrote:I hope he got a good pre-nuptial agreement in place
Agreed. It is a little surprising that the Palace let Harry marry Meghan, but they were desperate to appear modern and in-touch. And he is quite low on the pecking order so they could afford to risk it.

What is interesting is how they managed to copyright the name "Sussexroyal" and why HM The Queen allowed it. (Official line: we are protecting the brand of our new Foundation). Now, as it appears, they want to plaster it over coffee mugs and tea towels. How can HM The Queen allow them to privately profit from their Royal positions?

Do the British public want part-time Royals? - half in/half out.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

ViccyVFU wrote:I hope he got a good pre-nuptial agreement in place, because five years down the line, "the Monarchy does not like to do its laundry via the courts". ('Nuff said).
That is a rather optimistic time line.

Norm

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

fromdownunder wrote:
ViccyVFU wrote:I hope he got a good pre-nuptial agreement in place, because five years down the line, "the Monarchy does not like to do its laundry via the courts". ('Nuff said).
That is a rather optimistic time line.

Norm

Yes agree. Sparkle Markle will be gone in a couple of years, when the adulation wears off, along with $US30 million or so spoils in her back pocket, I'd guess.

If there WAS a pre-nup HER lawyers would have been the ones drafting it - it is the American way. :roll: :roll:

Reverting back to her wacko dysfunctional family, and doing forgettable soapies now and again, endorsing a new salad dressing in TV ads, and hitting the rubber chicken speaking circuit, and playing her $50m wedding video until it wears thin "I married a British Prince Once - look at my gorgeous $800,000 dress".

Markle is disliked, and divisive, and all very sad to see -

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

I wonder if the root of all this is that Meghan realized that she could never upstage the Duchess of Cambridge and that she was not going to be the center attraction of the younger royals.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Britcollector wrote:I wonder if the root of all this is that Meghan realized that she could never upstage the Duchess of Cambridge and that she was not going to be the center attraction of the younger royals.
^Yes. Meghan was always going to be a minor Royal, much like Princess Margaret back in the day, but of course she had aspirations much higher.

As for "much younger Royals", Meghan and Kate are the same age = 38 years. Kate Middleton born 9 January 1982, Meghan Marke born 4 August 1981.

The thing is, in a few years time Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, will be Queen and Meghan Markle will be, well ... older.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Meghan Markle and Harry have obviously been planning to escape to Hollywood for some time now. This from the 14th July 2019 premiere of The Lion King in London:
"SHAMELESS"
Link here with video: https://twitter.com/inklessPW/status/1216367859552702465

Nobody knew Meghan as an actress in the U.S :lol: but Harry still believes she was a Hollywood star! :lol: Beyonce is forced to smile and make conversation but wouldn't have given Meghan the time of day if she weren't a newly-minted Royal.

Are there no depths these two won't plumb?

Please leave immediately and do not let the door hit your @ss on the way out.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

ROD LIDDLE, The Sunday Times:

'In my progressive new role, I'm stepping back from writing but keeping my salary'

'After many months of reflection and deep internal discussion with myself, I have chosen to make a transition this year to carve out a progressive new role with The Sunday Times. I intend to 'step back' from writing anything whatsoever for the newspaper while still, of course, lending my full support to both the editor and the readers and being paid exactly the same as I am now.

'I will require the services o fa private jet, a helicopter and a fleet of Range Rovers, for those times when I suddenly wish to attend a summit in a Third World country about the terrible, devastating effects of climate change and what we, as deeply concerned individuals, can do to combat it.

'The truth is that of the many wonderful things about working for such an august institution as the Sunday Times, the one I have always appreciated most is the money, and it would sadden me, and impinge on my extremely fragile mental health, if that were to somehow 'stop' simply because I have ceased to work for it.

''Progressive', incidentally, in my vocabulary means anything I want it to be. It could mean 'enlightened'. Equally it could mean 'utterly stupid' or 'transcendentally delusional.'

Britcollector

Post by Britcollector »

I expect one thing we will see is that many of the "feuds" that supposedly took place were great exaggerations or wholly invented by the tabloids. Past masters of saying not quite enough to be taken to court.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Britcollector wrote:I expect one thing we will see is that many of the "feuds" that supposedly took place were great exaggerations or wholly invented by the tabloids. Past masters of saying not quite enough to be taken to court.
If this front page quote below in The Times was ''invented'' they'd be in Court. :mrgreen:

William sues - and wins - even foreign -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/05/topless-phot ... of-privacy

Besides, BOTH Brothers have publicly agreed on this narrative in recent months, so nothing ''invented''. 8)

William’s reported comments on the growing distance between the brothers reflects those made by Harry in an ITV documentary in November. In it, Harry told ITV’s Tom Bradby that the brothers were on “different paths”. Bradby, who is considered a friend of the Sussexes, has since spoken of a “toxic” relationship between the couple and the rest of the family, and said that they feel “driven out”.

Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

There has been some discussion of Prince Harry becoming the Canada's Governor General, after the current GG, Julie Payette, steps down, probably around 2022. No firm date that as she essentially serves "At Her Majesty's Pleasure". Though, it would break a precedent set in 1952, when Vincent Massey was appointed as the first "Canadian-born" Governor General of Canada.

There is certainly a many Canadians who would prefer a Canadian citizen, rather than an actual "Royal". Also, as a rule, our Governor Generals are chosen because of their contribution to Canada, not because they have a lot of money.

Julie Payette is an engineer and an astronaut, having done two space flights. Prior to her, GG David Johnston was an academic, author, and a stateman. Before him, was Michaëlle Jean, was a journalist and a stateswomen. She was the third Secretary-General of the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie. She was also not born in Canada, but in Haiti.

Harry is not a Canadian citizen, nor has he done anything particularly remarkable. Although not unique within the Commonwealth, Canada's Governor General is our oldest institution, tracing a continuous line back to Samuel de Champlain in 1627. This tradition does matter to many of us Canadians and the selection is important.

Another thing is the cost. I assume the other Commonwealth countries are the same. We only pay for the Monarchy when they come to visit. Seems like a good deal! But they figure in security costs alone, Harry and Meghan will be costing the Canadian tax payer about $1.7 million (CDN$).

Lastly, as a nation, we really don't go in much for the rich and the royal. Perhaps this is one reason why so many of them have residences in Canada. Harry and Meghan spent a month and a half last year in Victoria, BC. They were left completely alone. We have no paparazzi here and Canadians are generally quite respectful of people's privacy. But there is a definite bias here against these types of people - especially if there is any hint of special treatment. If you visit a health centre, you have to line-up with everyone else. There should not be any special access.
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Uppercanadian wrote:There has been some discussion of Prince Harry becoming the Canada's Governor General, after the current GG, Julie Payette, steps down, probably around 2022.
Be careful what you wish for there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If so, would be yet another mirroring of similarities to KEVIII and Wallis. 8)

The Government appointed him Governor of Bahamas during WW2, and dragged Edward and Wallis out of European exile to get them as far away from Hitler and the Nazis as they could. During the German occupation of France, Edward had arranged for Hitler to have German troops place guards at his Paris and Riviera homes, which he did. A great British patriot indeed. :roll: :roll:

Edward's success in the Bahamas probably mirrors how well the Over Entitled Yuppies would do in Canada!

From Wikipedia - blue highlighting mine -

In July 1940, Edward was appointed Governor of the Bahamas. They left Bermuda for Nassau on the Canadian steamship Lady Somers on 15 August, arriving two days later. The Duke did not enjoy being governor and privately referred to the islands as "a third-class British colony".

The British Foreign Office strenuously objected when the Duke and Duchess planned to cruise aboard a yacht belonging to a Swedish magnate, Axel Wenner-Gren, whom British and American intelligence wrongly believed to be a close friend of Luftwaffe commander Hermann Göring.

He was as contemptuous of the Bahamians as he was of most non-white peoples of the Empire. He said of Étienne Dupuch, the editor of the Nassau Daily Tribune: "It must be remembered that Dupuch is more than half Negro, and due to the peculiar mentality of this Race, they seem unable to rise to prominence without losing their equilibrium."

He was praised, even by Dupuch, for his resolution of civil unrest over low wages in Nassau in 1942, even though he blamed the trouble on "mischief makers – communists" and "men of Central European Jewish descent, who had secured jobs as a pretext for obtaining a deferment of draft". He resigned from the post on 16 March 1945.

At the end of the war, the couple returned to France and spent the remainder of their lives essentially in retirement as the Duke never held another official role. Correspondence between the Duke and Kenneth de Courcy, dated between 1946 and 1949, emerged in a US library in 2009.

The letters suggest a plot where the Duke would return to England and place himself in a position for a possible regency. The health of George VI was failing and de Courcy was concerned about the influence of the Mountbatten family over the young Princess Elizabeth.

De Courcy suggested the Duke buy a working agricultural estate within an easy drive of London in order to gain favour with the British public and make himself available should the King become incapacitated. The Duke, however, hesitated and the King recovered from his surgery.

The Duke's allowance was supplemented by government favours and illegal currency trading. The City of Paris provided the Duke with a house at 4 route du Champ d'Entraînement, on the Neuilly-sur-Seine side of the Bois de Boulogne, for a nominal rent.

The French government exempted him from paying income tax, and the couple were able to buy goods duty-free through the British embassy and the military commissary.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

So in other words Eddie Eight was a parasite all his life ?
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:So in other words Eddie Eight was a parasite all his life ?
Seems like a pretty fair assumption sadly.

When your own Father, KGV, was quoted as praying Edward never had children, and that KGVI and Elizabeth became Monarchs, things are pretty dire.

Seems like an over-entitled Playboy non-patriotic airhead user, from what I have read.

In the early days of George VI's reign Edward telephoned daily, importuning for money, and urging that the Duchess be granted the style of Royal Highness, until the harassed king ordered that the calls not be put through.

The Duke and Duchess effectively took on the role of celebrities and were regarded as part of café society in the 1950s and 1960s. They hosted parties and shuttled between Paris and New York; Gore Vidal, who met the Windsors socially, reported on the vacuity of the Duke's conversation.

In the 1950s, journalist Frank Giles heard the Duke blame British Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden for helping to "precipitate the war through his treatment of Mussolini ... that's what [Eden] did, he helped to bring on the war ... and of course Roosevelt and the Jews". During the 1960s the Duke said privately to a friend, Patrick Balfour, 3rd Baron Kinross, "I never thought Hitler was such a bad chap."

This is the bit that would stick in the craw of any Australian - also taken verbatim from Wikipedia -

Edward proposed an alternative solution of a morganatic marriage, in which he would remain king but Simpson would not become queen consort. She would enjoy some lesser title instead, and any children they might have would not inherit the throne. This was supported by senior politician Winston Churchill in principle, and some historians suggest that he conceived the plan.

In any event, it was ultimately rejected by the British Cabinet as well as other Dominion governments. Their views were sought pursuant to the Statute of Westminster 1931, which provided in part that "any alteration in the law touching the Succession to the Throne or the Royal Style and Titles shall hereafter require the assent as well of the Parliaments of all the Dominions and of the Parliament of the United Kingdom."

The Prime Ministers of Australia (Joseph Lyons), Canada (Mackenzie King) and South Africa (J. B. M. Hertzog) made clear their opposition to the king marrying a divorcée; their Irish counterpart (Éamon de Valera) expressed indifference and detachment, while the Prime Minister of New Zealand (Michael Joseph Savage), having never heard of Simpson before, vacillated in disbelief.

Faced with this opposition, Edward at first responded that there were "not many people in Australia" and their opinion did not matter.

MJ's pet

Re: How Prince Harry could become King of Canada?

Post by MJ's pet »

Uppercanadian wrote:There has been some discussion of Prince Harry becoming Canada's Governor General
Justin Trudeau will welcome Meghan Markle with open arms.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

That nearly lost Trudeau the recent election as I recall?

The GG has the power to sack Prime Ministers, (as we discovered here!) so Justin will be safe.

Maybe they can have fancy Dress Balls at Government House and Trudeau can dust off the Black Face, Harry can go naked or wear Nazi uniforms as he has in the past, and Sparkle Markle can go as Wallis Simpson just for old times sake ........................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

I don’t follow the Royal Family as closely as the UK tabloids do, but I hadn’t realized Harry and his wife were as unpopular as some of the above posts show them to be among subjects of the British monarchy.

I’ll just say, it makes no difference to me, but if 6th-in-line royals get you that stirred up then why not get off your duffs and make yourselves Republics?

:D

BC

32_seeker
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 32_seeker »

Global Administrator wrote:That nearly lost Trudeau the recent election as I recall?

The GG has the power to sack Prime Ministers, (as we discovered here!) so Justin will be safe.

Maybe they can have fancy Dress Balls at Government House and Trudeau can dust off the Black Face, Harry can go naked or wear Nazi uniforms as he has in the past, and Sparkle Markle can go as Wallis Simpson just for old times sake ........................... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Trudeau's mistake of the past didn't damage his public image too much, since he got reelected. I think voters here recognized it was an error in judgement typical of young people.

Also, it was at a school where he taught, and an Arabian Nights - themed fundraiser.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes North Americans in recent years elected a draft dodging, repeated lying oafish bully, sexual abuser, who has overseen massive corporate bankruptcies of parts of his failed Empire, so a little harmless blackface to you North neighbours is not so bad. :mrgreen:

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Isn't there a vacancy at the Principality Of Hutt River??
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”