Prince Harry & Meghan - exiles in North America Discussion

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Prince Harry & Meghan - exiles in North America Discussion

Post by satsuma »

Bill H UK wrote:
11 Mar 2021 19:59
All the posts trashing her; indicate to me, is the difficulty judicial systems must have trying to assemble an impartial jury.

Well, an impartial jury would hear both sides of the story.

Will Charles or William give a similar 'candid' interview, saying that she was a pain in the ass from day one? Of course not. They can't, and she knows they can't.

So she can drip out the 'racist' innuendo without fear of contradiction.

I don't call that a fair trial.
Bill

It may not be a fair trial, thus far, but an impartial jury is one that hasn't made up its mind prior to hearing the evidence from both sides.

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

If I do a sum involving lots of additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions etc. trying to work something out (i.e. how much compost I need to fill a trench built for growing potatoes) and there is an error near the beginning of my calculations, then I get a seriously wrong answer.

I used that example because my father-in-law asked me to work out how much compost he'd need to buy for the trench we built for him (it wasn't a conventional trench) and he ended up with sufficient spare compost to last him the rest of his life!

Because there are so many imponderables in the case in question and because it is hard not to believe that the "evidence" submitted is seriously biased, then it is unsafe to build a case based on it.

I'm definitely not a big fan of Piers Morgan. However, he's been at the cutting edge for a while when it comes to news. If he is that sure of his convictions that he is prepared to lose his job over them, then I think that is particularly significant.

This has shaken the British establishment and some dust has fallen out of a few cracks. What establishment does not have a few cracks?

Men aren't perfect (women aren't either). We are all prone to making mistakes.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

lesbootman wrote:
11 Mar 2021 21:55

I'm definitely not a big fan of Piers Morgan. However, he's been at the cutting edge for a while when it comes to news. If he is that sure of his convictions that he is prepared to lose his job over them, then I think that is particularly significant.
Perhaps more significant is that his fellow presenter told Morgan on air “I understand you’ve got a personal relationship with Meghan Markle, or had one, and she cut you off. Has she said anything about you since she cut you off? I don’t think she has but yet you continue to trash her.”

Morgan has been quoted as saying “I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she said, Meghan Markle. I wouldn’t believe it if she read me a weather report.”

The Guardian's Mark Lawson had this to say about events, "Though shaken, the network seems unlikely to be entirely surprised. A few months ago, I met a senior ITV figure. They expressed excitement at what Morgan had brought to Good Morning Britain, and predicted that he would soon beat the BBC cereal winner. “But,” they added. “Then he’ll go, and he will probably go down in flames because that’s what he always does. I slightly fear what the fire might be.” Their words proved prescient."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/mar/10/piers-m ... ghan-oprah

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

To my way of thinking the whole thing is a storm in a tea cup.

Time will tell.

If I'm wrong it won't be the first time :lol:
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MJ's pet »

Meghan: "The press intrusion was so bad, I was suicidal".

Harry: "We had to leave. I did not want history repeating itself".

meghan markle press.jpg
Last edited by MJ's pet on 13 Mar 2021 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

harry move out.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

MJ's pet wrote:
13 Mar 2021 15:01

"And NO MORE Swastika armbands Granny ..... I PROMISE."

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

harry first day at work.png

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

queen 007.jpg

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

MJ's pet wrote:
13 Mar 2021 18:06
Very funny - the firm’s very adept at making things look like an accident, just ask Hazza’s mother.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Sad Rigs, just like your support for the ex-president, and TOTALLY unsubstantiated. Another piece of fake news and false conspiratory theory. What alternate universe are you living in?
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Waffle wrote:
13 Mar 2021 20:06
Sad Rigs, just like your support for the ex-president, and TOTALLY unsubstantiated. Another piece of fake news and false conspiratory theory. What alternate universe are you living in?
No worries Waff, this will be fun.

I’m assuming that as a retired quack you passed med school eons ago and therefore possess an IQ above 100? Let’s go with that.

In the early hours on the 31 August 1997 Diana, Princess of Wales, died in a car accident in Paris, at the hands of an alcohol-fueled driver in a Mercedes Benz, pursued without protection by the paparazzi.

How did it get to that?

I put it to you that she was effectively murdered by the firm (aka your beloved royal family).

And consider she was only 19 or so when they recruited her.

So, let’s take a big step back and work out why, and how.

The royal family is a brutal regime that seeks to preserve only one thing: itself.

A casual glance at history confirms this.

When future monarchs are born, their lives, actions and mistakes are protected and shielded.

(Er, Prince Andrew and his penchant for paedophilia? Enough said.)

Lesser mortals, like wives (Henry 8th for example?), are irrelevant in this context.

So, fast track to Charles, the modern imbecile who enjoys talking to plants etc., among other things.

And we arrive at his ‘marriage’.

Even though he fancied the pre-married Camilla, he still went through the idiotic marriage to Diana, because she was deemed more suitable - virgin-like etc.

Heck, they couldn’t even get their names right on the wedding day if I remember.

The arrogance is painful, the outcome tragic.

The firms’s ruthless exorcism of Diana when this farcical tryst of a relationship transpired to all in the know, meant that in the end they had effectively ‘engineered’ her fateful vulnerability that night, when she should have been protected, or at home with her boys.

In a nutshell Waff, if Charles hadn’t been a right royal cad, he wouldn’t have married her in the first place, leading them both up the garden path to destruction.

Hers that is, not his.

The firm made sure of that, he’s the next King after all, and the process continues.

Elizabeth R knows all this, but you don’t, it would seem.

And sadly, it Is all coming back to bite Prince Charley on the arse, big time, the ‘father’ of the year ... :)
Last edited by Rigs on 13 Mar 2021 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rigs, there are many who believe J Edgar Hoover had John F. Kennedy killed, as he would not do what he was told, and played around too much.

Hoover was head of the FBI etc 1924-1972. You think ROYALTY has power???!!!!

Like your tabloid theory there is only one tiny flaw in the argument -- PROOF.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Administrator wrote:
13 Mar 2021 21:31
Rigs, there are many who believe J Edgar Hoover had John F. Kennedy killed, as he would not do what he was told, and played around too much.

Hoover was head of the FBI etc 1924-1972. You think ROYALTY has power???!!!!

Like your tabloid theory there is only one tiny flaw in the argument -- PROOF.
For you, that’s a poor response.

That’s the sort of sub IQ analogy I was expecting from Waff.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Facts bore some folks. I sympathise with your plight.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Rigs wrote:
13 Mar 2021 21:04

In the early hours on the 31 August 1997 Diana, Princess of Wales, died in a car accident in Paris, at the hands of an alcohol-fueled driver in a Mercedes Benz, pursued without protection by the paparazzi.

(...)

The firms’s ruthless exorcism of Diana when this farcical tryst of a relationship transpired to all in the know, meant that in the end they had effectively ‘engineered’ her fateful vulnerability that night, when she should have been protected, or at home with her boys.
Absolute baloney!

If "The Firm" had any interest and/or competence in exerting control over the Spencer Pretender, they would have kept her close and protected her from her own excesses.

Even before her divorce, she was known to have had extra-marital affairs (plural) and alleged to have had several more besides.

Following her divorce, she had several more, culminating with the ultimately fatal relationship with Dodi Fayed. She had flaunted her celebrity status in the media spotlight for months and - like Harry and Meghan - seemed to feel that she could choose when she got attention and the degree of positivity of that attention. She courted the paparazzi when it suited her and expected them to step back when it didn't. Sadly, as many spoiled brats discover, colliding with the Real World just ain't like that.

The ultimate outcome, like a child making itself dizzy until it falls and smacks the ground hard, while shocking was unsurprising and - dare I say? - totally predictable.

And it required no intervention from hidden forces for it to happen, and no conspiracy theory to explain it.

What takes more explaining to my mind is the way my country (and large parts of the rest of the world) lost their collective minds in worship of this pathetic and manipulative woman.

I hope that Harry and Meghan will not meet a similar fate. With an ounce of common sense, they will choose to live the quiet, privileged life they seem to desire. :idea:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

To be clear, my post was intended to be assuming, not literal. :|

The Queen does not go around eliminating people. James Bond is not real. Diana Spencer was not murdered. Elvis is not alive.

She was killed by a drunk driver. Henri Paul's blood alcohol reading was between 1.75 and 1.87, three and a half times the legal limit. He had been drinking for about 5 hours straight. Ritz employees have said he was "drunk as a pig".

When Paul went out to the front of the hotel several times to joke with waiting photographers, one asked out loud: "Is he drunk or what?". Paul was also mixing prescription anti-depressants with alcohol (specifically Prozac and Tiapride, often used to counter the effects of alcoholism). He was speeding and crashed into the tunnel column.

When investigators looked at the crumpled dashboard, they found the speedometer frozen at 196 kilometers per hour. Diana was not wearing a seatbelt and neither was Dodi. If she had worn a seat belt, as the front-seat passenger did, she might still be alive today. :idea:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Dossier on Harry and Meghan interview reveals many explosive claims which rocked the Royal Family were contradictory or wrong

inconvenient truth.jpg

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

GettyImages-883602958.jpg
Meghan Markle's old CV has emerged - and it seems she lies

A working proficiency in Portuguese; a love of theatre; a keen triathlete.

An old resumé of the whacktress and ex-princess has now surfaced...

The document was obtained by TMZ, and appears to date from a period before she landed her role in Suits.

She says she's proficient in the likes of "baseball, golf, swimming, horseback riding, snowboarding, and even baton twirling".

TMZ adds: "Meghan also claims she's well-versed in more than a dozen forms of dance, speaks three languages, sings pop and country, and plays guitar, drums... and finger cymbals."

Finally, the California-born star says she can juggle and has further talents as a DJ, masseuse... and a stripper.

ONLY THE FINAL BIT IS TRUE. LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

meghan-markle-prince-harry-royal-albert-hall-z.jpg
Meghan and Harry at the Royal Albert Hall

meghan tweets.jpg

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

I am not afraid to admit that this whole Royal HooHaa has bored me silly and although a royalist at heart, I am totally over it and just like the ex-president of the U.S.A., if I never heard another word about any of them, not a wink of sleep would I loose nor would I shed a tear or even give a stuff!

Please give over about them and like Edward and Mrs Simpson, consign them to the bottom of historical records. I would love to add discussion re Brexit to the list of ' Oh No we will not mention him" as A) it has happened and B) like many people we are fed up to the back teeth with it, especially the outpourings of anti-British vitriol from south of the border.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Waffle wrote:
15 Mar 2021 14:15
I am not afraid to admit that this whole Royal HooHaa has bored me silly and although a royalist at heart, I am totally over it and just like the ex-president of the U.S.A., if I never heard another word about any of them, not a wink of sleep would I loose nor would I shed a tear or even give a stuff!

Please give over about them and like Edward and Mrs Simpson, consign them to the bottom of historical records. I would love to add discussion re Brexit to the list of ' Oh No we will not mention him" as A) it has happened and B) like many people we are fed up to the back teeth with it, especially the outpourings of anti-British vitriol from south of the border.
Yep Waff, they are a worrisome lot those South of the border royal heathens ...

emason

Post by emason »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/14/itv-forced-edit- ... ry-meghan/

ITV forced to edit Oprah Winfrey's interview with Harry and Meghan after including 'misleading' headlines

Associated Newspapers said the press clippings were distorted to portray British coverage as racist

ITV has been forced to edit part of Oprah Winfrey's interview with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after it was revealed that it included misleading and distorted headlines which portrayed British press coverage of the couple as racist.

Headlines that were flashed on the screen during the controversial interview with the US chat show host were manipulated to back up the couple's assertion that they were the victims of bigoted coverage.

Associated Newspapers, the publisher of The Mail on Sunday, Daily Mail and MailOnline, complained to Viacom CBS – the US TV giant which aired last week's two-hour programme – about “the deliberate distortion and doctoring of newspaper headlines”.

It also demanded that ITV remove the “misleading and inaccurate headlines” from the programme, which remains available on its ITV Hub catch-up service, according to MailOnline.

The interview was watched by 11.1 million viewers in the UK and 17.1 million in the US.

In a complaint to CBS, Liz Hartley, editorial legal director at Associated Newspapers, said: “Many of the headlines have been either taken out of context or deliberately edited and displayed as supporting evidence for the programme's claim that the Duchess of Sussex was subjected to racist coverage by the British press.”

She added: "This editing was not made apparent to viewers and, as a result, this section of the programme is both seriously inaccurate and misleading".

The programme showed a headline from The Daily Telegraph that read: 'The real problem with Meghan Markle: she just doesn't speak our language.'

However, the second line of the headline, which was not shown, made clear the article was not mocking the Duchess’s ethnicity, but her habit of using “hippie corporate management speak”.

Another example, from January 2018, involved a story in The Mail on Sunday which revealed how the girlfriend of the then Ukip leader Henry Bolton had made racist remarks about Meghan.

Producers chose not to show the newspaper's headline about the 'Vile Racist Attack' but instead used a small part of a MailOnline headline which quoted one of the woman's vile messages – but omitted the rest of the headline.

An ITV spokesman said it would remove three manipulated Daily Mail, MailOnline and Mail on Sunday headlines, plus a headline wrongly attributed to the Guardian.

However, the out-of-context Daily Telegraph headline will remain.

Conservative MP Giles Watling, a member of the Commons Media Select Committee, said: “Any future broadcasts of this interview should come with a health warning for viewers.

“People need to know that what they are watching is not necessarily the truth and, in the use of newspaper headlines, a complete distortion of the facts.”

Ms Winfrey's company, Harpo Productions, said: “We stand by the broadcast in its entirety”.

CBS did not respond to MailOnline’s request for comment.
Best wishes,
Bill

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Talk about a bizarre sense of timing. First of all we appear on a prime time TV show in which we bemoan the removal of our security. Then today we announce two prowlers over 72 hours at our mansion. Really?

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Private Eye News Palace Puzzler:

megham private eye.jpg

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

meghan racists.jpg

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

MJ's pet wrote:
20 Mar 2021 14:01
Private Eye News Palace Puzzler:

Just received my signed chicken! :lol:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

31 March 2021 - Megxit anniversary and Harry and NutMeg are ‘still complaining’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxT9XfY_4AQ

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

MJ's pet wrote:
01 Apr 2021 15:32
31 March 2021 - Megxit anniversary and Harry and NutMeg are ‘still complaining’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxT9XfY_4AQ
Mj - I don’t understand why u are so selective with your criticism of the rf.

Always at hazza and megs but you choose to ignore Andy pandy the paedophile?

How do you account for that?

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

Rigs wrote:
01 Apr 2021 20:15
Mj - I don’t understand why u are so selective with your criticism of the rf.

Always at hazza and megs but you choose to ignore Andy pandy the paedophile?

How do you account for that?
Mod Comment.

Perhaps it is because this thread is "Prince Harry & Meghan - exiles in North America Discussion" and has nothing to do with your alternative subject. If you are so obsessed with something that has nothing to do with this thread, then start or search for another existing one which does.

So, I am ruling any further discussion on Prince Andrew off topic here, and will remove anything pertaining to it.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

I nominate Norm as “Moderator of the Year.”

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Manipulative Meghan cannot even get her 3rd hand facts right. :roll:

Princess Anne finally revealed as a royal accused of racism by Harry and Meghan

Harry and Meghan made a shocking claim about an unnamed royal in their Oprah tell-all. Now, a royal author names who she says was responsible.

Nick Bond

British socialite Lady Colin Campbell has claimed that Princess Anne is the royal who hit with racism allegations.

Controversial British socialite Lady Colin Campbell has claimed that Princess Anne is the previously unnamed royal hit with racism allegations by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in their explosive Oprah interview.

But Campbell insists the race row was in fact a “misunderstanding,” and that the senior royal had instead been expressing concerns about whether Meghan was a good fit for the royal family.

Both Harry and Meghan had claimed in their tell-all Oprah interview that one member of the royal family had expressed concerns about how dark their baby’s skin might be, before Archie had been born.

It was a revelation that left Oprah – and viewers worldwide – shocked, but Harry and Meghan both stopped short of naming the royal, with Meghan explaining that it would be too “damaging” to the person to name them.

Since then, speculation has raged over which member of the royal family the couple were referring to. Now, UK socialite and prolific royal author Campbell claims it’s Prince Harry’s aunt, Princess Anne.

In a new video posted to YouTube, Campbell – who has published eight books on the royal family including a best-selling biography of Princess Diana – claimed: “I know who it is – I’ve known for a little while who it is.”

She claimed that, as Harry and Meghan’s relationship developed, the person who “absolutely saw (Meghan) coming a mile off was Princess Anne”.

Lady Colin Campbell claims Princess Anne was behind the racism row – but that it was a misunderstanding.

“Princess Anne absolutely knew what Meghan was from the word go. She watched the relationship with increasing horror, because the more she knew, the more she saw and the more reports she got back about Meghan, was that beneath the ruthless charm was a real operator.”

Campbell claims Anne objected to her nephew’s relationship with Meghan on the basis of “conduct and character,” which she claims Harry interpreted as concerns about Meghan’s race. She claimed three separate sources had confirmed to her that the conversation had been “twisted”.

“There were no concerns about Meghan’s colour. Princess Anne was rightly concerned that if the marriage proceeded and there were children, there would be huge problems. Not because of Meghan’s colour, but because of Meghan’s inability and determination to remain unable to appreciate the cultural differences, and to have respect for the institution into which she was going to marry,” she claimed.

“Harry ran to Meghan with the objections, Meghan weaponised them on the grounds of colour. We are looking at people who are very eager to spot a slight where doubtless none exist.”

Lady Colin Campbell made the claims in a lengthy new YouTube video that often served as a diatribe about Meghan’s perceived failings.

Lady Colin Campbell made the claims in a lengthy new YouTube video that often served as a diatribe about Meghan’s perceived failings.Source:YouTube

She accused Meghan of “constant playing of the race card” and said Harry had misinterpreted his family’s “genuine concern” over the relationship.

The royal family had previously stated they would deal with the issues raised in Harry and Meghan’s interview “privately”.

emason

Post by emason »

Another lie exposed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/04/02/harry-me ... ar-megxit/

Harry and Meghan were in talks with video platform a year before ‘Megxit’

The Telegraph has learned the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had discussions with the now defunct Quibi service from early 2019

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were discussing projects with a billion-dollar backed US streaming service a year before they stepped down as senior members of the Royal family, it has emerged.

The Sussexes had a series of meetings with Quibi, a now-defunct rival to YouTube, from early 2019 until after they dropped their 'Megxit' bombshell in January last year.

The Duke returned from the so-called Sandringham Summit to meet executives from the short video platform in London as plans for him to provide content apparently reached advanced stages.

In their interview with Oprah Winfrey, the couple said that they “didn’t have a plan” upon leaving the Royal family, but The Telegraph has learnt that they had talks with executives of the £1.3 billion start-up before their son Archie was born in May 2019.

The discussions are understood to have led to tensions with Palace staff fearful they would be accused of “cashing in” on their status, and because the couple were predominantly consulting Meghan’s US-based team of advisers.

A source with knowledge of the situation said: “There were well-developed proposals in place with Quibi from early 2019.”

A royal source added: “A lot of it was orchestrated by Meghan’s people in America. It was a bit of a secret squirrel.”

Sources in the UK and US confirmed there were numerous conversations with Quibi, including its founder Jeffrey Katzenberg, described as “one of Hollywood’s premier political kingmakers”, and Meg Whitman, chief executive, a former president of eBay.

After Quibi drew up a proposal in early 2019, there were conference calls to discuss a plan for their own series of 10-minute videos. There was a meeting in London last January, which the Duke attended with James Holt, the new executive director of Archewell, the couple’s non-profit organisation.

Shortly afterwards, the couple relocated to Los Angeles, and the pandemic put all plans on hold.

Quibi did well on its launch last April, but by September, around the time the Sussexes said they had signed a multimillion-dollar deal with Netflix, it was on the verge of shutting down.

They told Oprah Winfrey they “didn’t have a plan”. Revealing that they had been “cut off” by the Royal family, Harry, Duke of Sussex, insisted that he and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, only signed deals with Netflix and Spotify out of immediate financial necessity.

As the Duke told the US chat show host: “The Netflix and the Spotify, they’re all . . . that was never part of the plan.”

“Because you didn’t have a plan?” prompted Ms Winfrey. “We didn’t have a plan,” replied the Duchess, with the Duke adding: “We didn’t have a plan. That was suggested by somebody else by the point of where my family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford . . . afford security for us.”

Best wishes,
Bill

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Hazza and Nutmeg are now a complete crash crash. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Leave the "poor"(sic) buggers alone. Let them crash in flames under their own power. They do not appear to need outside help to do so. I am fed up listening/seeing the drivel that passes for "informed" comment on this and the Brexit thread. Surely everyone has better things o do with their lives than contribute more of this drivel.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Waffle wrote:
19 Jun 2021 16:55
I am fed up listening/seeing the drivel that passes for "informed" comment on this and the Brexit thread.

The solution is very simple: Don't read this thread.

Now we await your undoubted breathless response to a thread you say are "fed up" with, in 3, 2, 1 .... :lol: :lol:

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

The brazen hustling and merching-out of the monarchy by the ex-Royals Hazza and Nutmeg is now getting embarrassing.

They can't use the title "Royal" but they can use The Queen's + Diana's names to cash in and keep the toddler in the public eye. Coming soon: buy Lilibet's clothes at Target for only 19.99! As seen on TV!

Adopting these Royal-sounding names is insurance against the revocation of their titles by Parliament is one guess.

Why not call the baby plain Mary Sue or something?

Why does a 1-month-old baby need a website?

lilibet website.png

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Exile
Noun: one who is barred from returning to his or her native country.

Meghan is in her native country. Harry can return, whenever and how often he wants, to his.

They are residents where they are by their own choice.

They are no more exiles than rock stars on tour or film stars on location.

Decamping in a snit is not exile, no matter how blue your blood.

Edward the 8th was an exile for many years and could only return with express invitation.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

satsuma wrote:
23 Jun 2021 13:27

Edward the 8th was an exile for many years and could only return with express invitation.

Has there been some verifed new info released in relation to this that you can share with us?

Can you supply a link to this amazing revelation?

The Duke Of Windsor was free to come and go as he wished - AFAIK.

He was a Duke of the Realm, and of course held a British Passport.

However, he refused to travel to the UK without Wallis The Witch, and the fact The Queen refused to be in the same room as her, and ditto many other members of the Royal Family, they did not visit. Same with QE2 Wedding in 1953 - he could have attended, but Wallis would have been shunned, so they did not come.

They were however happy to have Hitler SS troops act as personal security guards to their home in France etc. And the FBI etc tailed Wallis 24/7 whenever she visited the USA, as Roosevelt held her in the same degree of disdain and suspicion as did the Royals, mainly as she was sleeping with German senior officials and allegedly leaking war secrets.

Money Grabber Markle seems to have modelled herself in many ways on Wallis The Witch.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

satsuma wrote:
23 Jun 2021 13:27

This is, I think, essentially correct.

Yes, The Duke of Windsor retained his titles and his British passport. But he was not permitted to live in England as the late Queen Mother basically did not want a "rival King" wandering around the place. In practical terms, he was in exile in France.

Hitler wished to reach a detente with Britain to knock the UK out of the war. He felt that it was easier to do this if Edward VIII was back on the throne. This played to Edward's own self-view, who fancied himself as "Edward The Peacemaker". Hence the Duke of Windsor's tour of Germany.

If Germany were victorious after the war, Hitler also felt that relations with Britain would be easier with Edward back on the throne. If Britain were defeated outright, then Edward could be installed as a "puppet" King. So until the war was concluded, there was a possibility that Edward VIII could make a comeback.

Also, Edward was - and remained - massively popular with the British public. George VI less so. There were real reasons to keep the Duke of Windsor at arm's length beyond personal dislikes for Wallis.

Then there was animosity to Wallis herself.

"Relations between the Duke of Windsor and the rest of the royal family were strained for decades. The Duke had assumed that he would settle in Britain after a year or two of exile in France. King George VI (with the support of Queen Mary and his wife Queen Elizabeth) threatened to cut off Edward's allowance if he returned to Britain without an invitation."

(Ref: Ziegler, (1991). King Edward VIII: The official biography. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. pp. 376–378)

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Thanks for the support MJ's pet.
I had prepared this a few days ago, but then thought Glen is free to believe whatever he wants to, so why bother?

e8 Google
e8 Google

e8 wikipedia heading
e8 wikipedia heading

e8 wikipedia body
e8 wikipedia body

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Edward may have been free to come and go as he wished but George VI and Queen Elizabeth would have cut off his allowance if he returned without being invited, so yes a "de facto" exile.

He did return several times including for George's funeral (but not for the Queen's coronation) and a number of other commemorative functions such as Queen Mary's centenary.

But in many ways (to bring us back on topic) the comparison between Edward and Wallis and Harry and Meghan is unfair, though convenient in some ways.

A much better comparison for Harry would be with his mother the late Diana. Both embraced the "celebrity" lifestyle ahead of Royal duty. Both undermined the Royal Family with their incautious comments to the media.

And both tell lies and half-truths to shore up their positions when they feel things are not going the right way. The apple certainly did not fall far from the tree!!!

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

gavin-h wrote:
27 Jun 2021 23:10

Both undermined the Royal Family with their incautious comments to the media.

Er ... so did she undermine the Royal Family when she said there were 'three of us in this marriage'?

How very inconvenient it must be when 'incautious comments' to the media just happen to be the truth.

I would suggest we are indeed very lucky the fruit didn't fall far from the tree in this regard.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Rigs wrote:
28 Jun 2021 01:27
gavin-h wrote:

Er ... so did she undermine the Royal Family when she said there were 'three of us in this marriage'?

How very inconvenient it must be when 'incautious comments' to the media just happen to be the truth.

I would suggest we are indeed very lucky the fruit didn't fall far from the tree in this regard.

The way she presented that (clearly well rehearsed) line with faux-naivety I would say yes she did.

She clearly knew all about Charles' enduring infatuation with Camilla before she married him. So did everybody else. It was well known to everybody but, seduced by the trappings of "being a princess" she said yes to the proposal and went ahead anyway.

She courted the press when it suited her, but was seemingly surprised when she couldn't "switch them off" when it didn't.

She had a sequence of unsuitable affairs, mostly calculated to embarrass the Windsors no doubt. The last two years of her life were an out-of-control spiral of someone who had clearly lost the plot. The end when it came was a shock but to anyone who considered it, not a shock.

And similarly, it wouldn't be a shock if Harry and Meghan followed a similar trajectory.

Charles was, in my opinion, ill-judged in proposing to Diana in the first place but was clearly under pressure to settle down and produce an heir and a spare after a number of "false starts". He should have married Camilla when he first had a chance to propose in the early 1970s.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Let me correct myself slightly.

Edward VIII was stripped of his HRH title and downgraded to the "Duke of Windsor".

Food for thought in the current Harry and Nutmeg situation who retain their HRHs but do not "actively" use them.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Interesting article, here: https://www.vogue.com/article/what-happened-when-king-edward-viii-quit-the-royal-family

Wallis_Simpson_-1936.jpg

It is very easy to paint Wallis as some evil witch, but this is very unfair.

Yes, she was married and started an affair with "Edward" in 1931. She divorced her husband in 1936.

But Edward had been having affairs with married aristocratic women since the 1920s. Look up Freda Dudley Ward.

When Edward came to the throne he was an unmarried man, but having a secret affair. Then Wallis offered to leave and never see Edward again. Wallis was independently very wealthy and was prepared to walk. Had this happened, he would have remained on the throne. Crisis averted:

“Now it was my turn to beg him to let me go,” Wallis later recalled. “Summoning all the powers of persuasion in my possession, I tried to convince him of the hopelessness of our position. For him to go on hoping, to go on fighting the inevitable, could only mean tragedy for him and catastrophe for me.”

Edward remained deaf to her entreaties. Taking Wallis’s hand, he said: “I’m going to send for Mr Baldwin to see me at the palace tomorrow. I’m going to tell him that if the country won’t approve of our marrying, I’m ready to go.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a ... k-excerpt/

Edward was too emotionally retarded, drew a line in the sand over the marriage issue, and resigned, giving his "I can not continue without the woman I love" speech etc.

For decades, Edward had been The Party Prince, was lazy and completely unprepared to be monarch when his father unexpectedly died. Even George V thought this.

"In 1936, Simpson divorced her husband, and Edward became king. When he expressed a desire to marry Simpson, a crisis erupted: Edward was the head of Church of England. The Archbishop of Canterbury wouldn’t allow him to marry a twice-divorced American, and the British government rejected a plan where Edward VIII would remain king, Simpson would take on a lesser title than "Queen", and their future children would not be heirs to the throne. The Prime Minister at the time, Stanley Baldwin, visited the king on November 16 and told him the public would never accept their union. Baldwin urged the people’s opinions to be considered. “I am going to marry Mrs. Simpson, and I am prepared to go,” replied the King, according to The Times of London."

Put another way, Edward engineered the constitutional crisis, not Wallis.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

gavin-h wrote:
28 Jun 2021 02:03
Rigs wrote:
28 Jun 2021 01:27
gavin-h wrote:

seduced by the trappings of "being a princess" she said yes to the proposal and went ahead anyway.

She was 20, why was 32yr old Charles proposing when infatuated with someone else? At least Henry 8th was infatuated with all his wives (mostly), however briefly. What was Charles thinking? That she would bear his children and then sit in the corner darning his socks while he ran around with Camilla?

The last two years of her life were an out-of-control spiral of someone who had clearly lost the plot. The end when it came was a shock but to anyone who considered it, not a shock.

Huh? Getting killed in a car accident is a shock I would suggest, no matter which way you 'consider it'.

And similarly, it wouldn't be a shock if Harry and Meghan followed a similar trajectory.

Huh (again)? They live in suburban US with a young family. Hardly a life of recklessness, not as exiles (BTW they are free to return to the UK any time they please so perhaps the title of this thread needs adjusting), and certainly it would be a shock if they met the same fate as their mother.

No, they have simply rejected living in the 'firm', with all its hyprocrisy and self-obsessed, self-perpetuating lunacy.

Charles was, in my opinion, ill-judged in proposing to Diana in the first place but was clearly under pressure to settle down and produce an heir and a spare after a number of "false starts". He should have married Camilla when he first had a chance to propose in the early 1970s.

Finally something that makes sense in your bizarre post, but none which justifies dumping on Hazza and Meg. The real culprit in the whole saga from Diana to Harry is Charles, the one you deemed to be ... 'ill-judged'.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

It should have said "The end when it came was a shock but to anyone who considered it, not a SURPRISE." My error in not proof-reading before pressing "Submit". Apologies for that. But I stand by that - the out-of-control spiral of her life in the last couple of years, and particularly that crazy summer of '97 was like watching a small child spinning in circles and making itself dizzy. You know it's going to end in tears even if you can't predict the exact detail of how and when. Hence, a shock but not a surprise when it happens.

Why did Charles propose? Pressure from the family to settle and produce an heir. Camilla was by then married and unavailable - as I said if only he'd not dithered a decade earlier...

Yes, Harry and Meghan live in luxury with two young children. But so did Diana - and it didn't stop her...

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Sorry you feel that about the Royal Family, Rigs. Although obviously some of the Members may be flawed as individuals, as in any walk of life, the institution of the Monarch is a very important part of our highly evolved form of democracy with many levels of "checks and balances". Also, of course, the Royal trappings are an excellent draw for tourism. Who would come to see President Blair!!!

There are some people, of course, who would like to see the Monarchy, House of Lords etc. abolished- I would tend to think they were more interested in concentrating power to themselves rather than improving our democratic system.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
28 Jun 2021 22:15

Sorry you feel that about the Royal Family, Rigs
Thanks Old Duffer, but please don't!

The reality is quite the reverse - I feel sorry for the British public, who are chained to the historical curiosity and embarrassment that is the Royal Soap Opera, with its bizarre protocols and traditions that really have no relevance to the world's political and economic spectrum.

I do agree with you that it fulfils a tourism function, like a sideshow perhaps, much like New Orleans or Venice are just historical theme parks, performing on a daily basis for the tourists.

Its easy to see why the younger generation like Hazza and Megs would want to escape such a suffocating prison sentence, who wouldn't?

On a positive note - still love all those gorgeous engraved stamps from last century though :)

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”