Have you ever had a penpal?

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

No, never have.
24%
Yes, a long time ago
52%
Yes, but have stopped writing
15%
Yes, I still write letters
9%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 33

FairyFoot
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by FairyFoot »

If you hadn't already noticed, I have a passion for writing to penpals and this also leads to using nice stamps for postage. In return, letters arrive with lovely postage stamps on too.

So, have you ever had a penpal (not including family)? Would you like to have a penpal?

A letter writing project I take part in during February is International Correspondence Writing Month, shortened to InCoWriMo, started by someone who is into fountain pens. The aim is to write a letter every day in February. There is an address exchange (through Disqus, arrgh, the scrolling..., as I write, there are 551 comments).

If that doesn't take your fancy, but you still would like a penpal, I could point you in other directions.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

aviwire
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Have you ever had a penpal?

Post by aviwire »

I am a member of your SnailMail forum.
I was away from all forums for last couple of years.
Will rejoin soon :)
Thematic interests: COVID-19, Medicine/Health, Medicinal Plants - Stamps on Stamps/Postal Services/Philatelic Activities on Stamps - Used Stamps: India, GB, AUS

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Good to have you back!
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

chaddy
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by chaddy »

When I was in junior school in the late 1960s we were all given a penpal from our equivalent class in a school in Fleetwood. We wrote to each other a couple of times, and then we had a class trip to Fleetwood. There we did a tour of the fish market, net making manufacturers and a rock making company ( everyone's favourite ). We met up with our pen friend then, and went home with them to see where they lived. A few weeks later they came to Warrington for a similar trip. That was the one and only pen friend that I ever had. I don't think we wrote again after the visits.
The next door neighbour of a friend of mine has lots of pen friends. Luckily for me, she saves all the stamps and he gives them to me. I have counted well over 30 different countries so far. It's a good source of modern used foreign stamps for my collection.
STAMPS ARE NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

chaddy wrote:
02 Mar 2021 08:23
When I was in junior school in the late 1960s we were all given a penpal from our equivalent class in a school in Fleetwood. We wrote to each other a couple of times, and then we had a class trip to Fleetwood. There we did a tour of the fish market, net making manufacturers and a rock making company ( everyone's favourite ). We met up with our pen friend then, and went home with them to see where they lived. A few weeks later they came to Warrington for a similar trip. That was the one and only pen friend that I ever had. I don't think we wrote again after the visits.
The next door neighbour of a friend of mine has lots of pen friends. Luckily for me, she saves all the stamps and he gives them to me. I have counted well over 30 different countries so far. It's a good source of modern used foreign stamps for my collection.
Did you keep the letters? Or even enjoyed the letter writing?

I don't send to or receive from as many countries now as an occasional postcrosser, but do have some penpals in a few countries. Most of my international penpals are in the US, but also have some in Canada, Australia, Germany, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Ireland, and I've even had letters from the Cayman Islands.

chaddy

Post by chaddy »

"Did you keep the letters? Or even enjoyed the letter writing?"

No I never kept them. As for enjoying it, I'm afraid it's no again. It was school work after all.
The lady whom I get the stamps from has pen friends in lots of different areas of the world such as Estonia, Japan,USA, Russia, Latvia,Italy, Canada, Australia, Kenya, and many many more. As I don't know her, I don't know how she got involved with the hobby, or where she finds the pen pals from. I will certainly make enquiries when this pandemic is over ( I must admit I selfishly never even thought about her side of things and just thought of it as a source of stamps for myself).
STAMPS ARE NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

We got given penpals at school when I was about 10. Mine was from somewhere in California.

I remember very little, other than:

1. School simply told me he was called Matthew. I never managed to decipher his surname, his writing was so bad. It began with a B, but after that, it was anyone's guess.

2. He lived at number 15100 on his street. I lived at number 7 on mine. Stuff is bigger in America.

3. I gave up after a couple of letters. Since I could hardly read what he'd scribbled, replying was a challenge.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Wow! Handwriting can be an issue. One letter I received, well, written in calligraphy, very neat, but it was hard to decipher, not sure I fully did work out every word!

Yes, surprised at the house/building numbers on streets in the US. Currently writing a letter to someone who lives on a 1/2 street!

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

FairyFoot wrote:
05 Mar 2021 09:26
Yes, surprised at the house/building numbers on streets in the US. Currently writing a letter to someone who lives on a 1/2 street!
My address starts with 1/14.

I, like others here got a pen pal from England when I was about 12. We wrote to each other maybe 4 times, and at that point it was her birthday, so I sent her a present (A 12" ruler showing various types of Australian timber, which with the mailing cost took two weeks worth of pocket money). Never heard from her again, and did not bother to try and write back.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

House# direction #th 1/2 street. (edit, forgot the cardinal direction)

Shame about the ruler. Sounded thoughtful.

Battyrat
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Battyrat »

At primary school I had a pen pal. Nothing exciting, just a kid in another local school. Teacher thought we might learn something. :roll:

I think we found we had nothing in common and the letters stopped after a month or so.

I often wondered if the teachers were too frightened to match up kids with similar interests so they would have something in common to talk about?
Loves to collect Lundy Island and 12 miles as straight as the Puffin flies South East another little island called England.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Well, one of my classmates moved away, sometime during the 2 years of GCSEs, however she kept in touch writing letters, mostly in English lessons... Well, if you look to be busy writing, perhaps busy studying/working... Still have those letters. Some she gave to her folks to post through the office franking machine thing...

DJM
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by DJM »

I remember in Primary school in grade 3 or 4 we had to write a letter to a 'penpal' that would be sent overseas to a student there. I received an initial letter from some kid (like the one I sent) but we never bothered to keep the letters going.

I had an 'email pal' in Canada for a couple of years but she stopped responding to my letters when I told her I was getting married.

D.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-56603956 has a video. The text below comes from the same page.
Long lost pen pals reunited after 70 years

Two transatlantic pen pals have been reunited after a wait of more than 70 years.

In 1950, 11-year-old Jim Johnston from Belfast responded to an advert in a children's magazine about pen pals.

He was soon put in touch with an American boy who was a similar age - Fred Heard from Klamath Falls, Oregon.

The two corresponded for several months, but as it the case for many pen pals, life got in the way and they lost touch.

Seven decades later Mr Johnston was recounting the story of his long lost American pen pal to his family, who encouraged him to try get back in touch.
Last edited by FairyFoot on 05 Apr 2021 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

This month is National Letter & Card Writing Month (started by USPS).

I need to write more letters as people have sent me letters!

briggia

Post by briggia »

Around the age of 15/16 I had a pen pal in France in a village near Beauvais.

I was living in England in those days. One year I went for a holiday in August with his family to Chamonix (Mount Blanc.) I remember going over on the ferry from Newhaven on the day Live Aid was on at Wembley :!:

He was a little straight-laced but one of his sisters was good fun :lol: :lol:

cheers

briggia

WANTED: Australia inkjet slogan spray cancels on cover
‪https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95420‬
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

I was penpals briefly with a friend I met on vacation as a kid (both of us were US-based), but we lost touch after a couple years. My father, on the other hand, has maintained contact with his childhood penpal from India for over sixty years, though their contact moved primarily to email and then Facebook over the past couple decades.
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

polisciguy2011 wrote:
05 Jun 2021 21:52
I was penpals briefly with a friend I met on vacation as a kid (both of us were US-based), but we lost touch after a couple years. My father, on the other hand, has maintained contact with his childhood penpal from India for over sixty years, though their contact moved primarily to email and then Facebook over the past couple decades.
Wow, that is quite impressive, a sixty plus year friendship!

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

I had a penpal long ago, in the late 1970s - early 1980s when I was a student at the Linguistic institute (now University) in Minsk. It was a girl from Bulgaria, and it all ended in a marriage tat lasted for over 35 happy years, with two lovely children (now they are not kids, still they are lovely).
Unfortunately, she's not with me any more, and I miss her so much...

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

vicaf60 wrote:
09 Jun 2021 07:54
I had a penpal long ago, in the late 1970s - early 1980s when I was a student at the Linguistic institute (now University) in Minsk. It was a girl from Bulgaria, and it all ended in a marriage tat lasted for over 35 happy years, with two lovely children (now they are not kids, still they are lovely).
Unfortunately, she's not with me any more, and I miss her so much...
Wow, the power of letters! Do you still have the letters, and even the stamps on the envelopes?

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

We preserved the letters, and now, our daughter keeps them.
The covers are partly in my collection, in part were sent to my friends for their collections.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

My mother had a 40+ year correspondence with her brother who at some point emigrated to Australia. She shredded most of the letters, and most of the envelopes (saving the stamps first). A pity... She also shredded other letters.

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”