Soccer/Football News, Views and General Discussion Thread

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

Sargonnas
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Re: Soccer/Football News, Views and General Discussion Thread

Post by Sargonnas »

Ouch, so WBA is in the same predicament as our local club, ADO Den Haag. Also taken over by a Chinese investor. A lot of beautiful promises of which none came through. Now the investor is gone, club is relegated and in financial very heavy weather..

Sad stories indeed.

GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by GB 789 »

Yes a similar situation. We got relegated from the Premier league last season because the chairman did not invest enough money in the team to compete with the better teams. We recently sold a player for about £17 million but haven’t seen any money available from that to respond on players.

Snap73
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Snap73 »

Sargonnas wrote:
29 Aug 2021 07:34
What I do not understand from those teams like Man Utd and PSG is why they are after those really old players? Don't get me wrong, I am well aware players like Messi are still very good but it would make so much more sense to invest in more youthful players. [....]

Same goes for Ronaldo at Man Utd. Why get a 36 year old attacker? It would make much more sense to invest in someone younger..
I don't think United planned to re-sign Ronaldo. The opportunity arose. United entered into talks very late to sign him.

I agree. It would be better to sign a younger player - like Haaland. Although United had already signed Sancho and Varane in an attempt to fine tune the squad. I think United may try to sign Haaland next summer.

Still, I am pleased with the signing of Ronaldo. It is win-win in football and commercial terms for the Club.

Sargonnas

Post by Sargonnas »

I guess it makes more sense as you describe it, I haven't followed the whole process. That opportunity coupled to the commercial gaines is very solid and I cannot argue that he brings a load of experience into the team. I hope for Utd and Ronaldo that his age does not bring more injuries, but time will tell.

Clapas
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!

Post by Clapas »

The arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo at the Red Devils could well push Daniel James towards the exit.
According to Guardian information, Leeds are in advanced negotiations with Manchester United over the transfer of the 23-year-old striker. After buying him from Swansea for nearly 18 million euros in 2019, Mancunian leaders are said to be asking for at least 23 million to let him go.
I Collect : FDCs around the world and mint stamps or FDC from Greek Mythology, Writers, Poets, Native Masks. You can send to me at my address by post. Before you can write a message to: clapas at gmx dot fr

Clapas

Post by Clapas »

The Champions League kicks off Tuesday 14 September 2021
As usual for several seasons, Manchester City are in a favorite position for the final victory. Just like PSG, which armed with a superb squad with the recruitment of Messi, among others, Hakimi and Ramos are another favorite for the competition.
The two super-rich clubs are still looking for a Champions League debut after each losing a final.
But, Bayern Munich, the winners two years ago, and the reigning Chelsea winners, are the number 1 underdog for the Champions League. Only Real have managed to keep their title for several years, we know that is extremely decisive. Will Chelsea be able to? We will see it.
For their part, Bayern Munich have made few changes this summer and have a still competitive squad, which will make them once again a very dangerous opponent for the final four.
Although they both have a good squad, especially Man United who have strengthened with Cristiano Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho, the two English clubs are not considered among the big favorites of the competition.
But beware.
Further on, Real Madrid, Juventus, FC Barcelona and Atlético are able to create a surprise.
I Collect : FDCs around the world and mint stamps or FDC from Greek Mythology, Writers, Poets, Native Masks. You can send to me at my address by post. Before you can write a message to: clapas at gmx dot fr

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

In Serie A, it looks like the perennial Scudetto challengers are off to a bad start. In three games, Juve have not won a single match. Let's hope that in this season we can get a Scudetto winner that is outside of the dominating top three.
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Snap73

Post by Snap73 »

The atmosphere at Old Trafford yesterday was exceptional due to Ronaldo making his second debut. Scoring two goals in a four-one win only added to it.

I think scoreline flatters United. United's build-up play was too slow. I felt the Newcastle keeper should have saved Ronaldo's goals. But Fernandes' goal was unstoppable and build-up to, and finish, by Lingard for the fourth goal was wonderful.

AMark

Post by AMark »

A few interesting results from this weekend's games.

Bradford 3 - 3 Liverpool

Great result for Bradford. They fought to the end and earned a point against The Reds. Despite the draw, The Reds are sitting at the top of the league.

Manchester United 0 - 1 Aston Villa

This is Man U's first loss of the season. They had more ball possession, but Villa had created better chances and they succeeded.

In Serie A, Napoli are at the top with 6 wins in 6 games. AC Milan and Inter Milan are respectably second and third, while the perennial favourites, Juventus, have managed to get their second win against Sampdoria.

In the Bundesliga, it's business as usual. Bayern Munich, Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Wolfsberg (Wolfsberg lost 3-1 Hoffenheim over the weekend) remain as one, two and three in the Bundesliga.

In La Liga, Real Madrid have remained at the top after a 0-0 draw against Villarreal. Barca have moved up to the sixth place in the table after a 3-0 win against Levante. Atletico Madrid had a poor showing against Alaves, they lost 0-1.

Ligue 1, PSG are at the top with 8 wins after a 2-0 win against Montpellier. The other teams that are at the top of the table are Lens and Marseille, second and third respectfully.

In the Eredivisie, Ajax are at the top of the league. Fayenoord and PSV are third and fourth, while Willem II are second.
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

AMark wrote:
12 Aug 2021 06:24
Rigs wrote:
12 Aug 2021 05:00
Thank you Amark,

It’s not so much PSG above any other club for me, but the sense that he will benefit from change.

A reset or renewed focus on his game.

Plus the added pressure and expectation of his new club I believe will inspire him to outperform even his own genius.
I agree that Messi will benefit from the change. He will be playing alongside Naymar, Mbappé, Ramos and coached by an Argentinian (former Tottenham boss) Mauricio Pochettino. I am just guessing but to Messi, Pochettino and Naymar might have been the selling points for his move to PSG?

Now, I know that it's early (removing implosions and injuries) do you think that PSG are the favourites to win the 2022 Champions League?
You betcha!

Messi scores superb first goal for PSG in 2-0 win against Man City in Champions League

https://wwos.nine.com.au/football/messi-scores-superb-1st-go ... 5047e0c0a4

AMark

Post by AMark »

Rigs wrote:
29 Sep 2021 09:43
AMark wrote:
12 Aug 2021 06:24
Rigs wrote:
12 Aug 2021 05:00
Thank you Amark,

It’s not so much PSG above any other club for me, but the sense that he will benefit from change.

A reset or renewed focus on his game.

Plus the added pressure and expectation of his new club I believe will inspire him to outperform even his own genius.
I agree that Messi will benefit from the change. He will be playing alongside Naymar, Mbappé, Ramos and coached by an Argentinian (former Tottenham boss) Mauricio Pochettino. I am just guessing but to Messi, Pochettino and Naymar might have been the selling points for his move to PSG?

Now, I know that it's early (removing implosions and injuries) do you think that PSG are the favourites to win the 2022 Champions League?
You betcha!

Messi scores superb first goal for PSG in 2-0 win against Man City in Champions League

https://wwos.nine.com.au/football/messi-scores-superb-1st-go ... 5047e0c0a4
Rigs,

I agree. It was a superb very quick goal by Messi. Man City players had no time to react or even think how to stop it.

Anyway, I would like to acknowledge the tremendous/shocking effort made by FC Sheriff Tiraspol in their away match against Real Madrid. Sheriff 2-1 Real Madrid. A Moldovan football team, that is probably expected to finish last in Group D of the latest edition of the Champions League, are sitting at the top with two victories. That is fantastic news for a team that is up against the "big money" spending teams. Let's keep this up!!!

AMark

Post by AMark »

An interesting match that will occur this weekend:

Leverkusen vs. Bayern, (second vs. first in the Bundesliga table).

Who will win?

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”