Australia - a cowering nation due to COVID rules?

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Australia - a cowering nation due to COVID rules?

Post by 60022Mallard »

That interesting question is being discussed in the media and on web sites here in the U.K. with tales of how over 20 years Australia has changed.

The behaviour of the cowering population and forceful dealing with anyone having the temerity to challenge draconian Covid rules and regulations would appear to confirm.

A couple of posts

"I went to Australia for the first time in 2009 with a companion who had been going regularly for many years both for business and pleasure and had many friends there. He warned me that the Australians might not be what I expected in that they had rolled over and fully embraced the politically correct super-nanny state. Some of his Australian friends, all of whom were 60 plus, privately confirmed this and despaired of the future. They appear to have been right."

"We visited Oz ten years ago and even then felt it was creepily woke. The only time we felt at home was when a couple of old-timers boarded a bus and started making jokes about how wet everybody had become. We were alone in finding them amusing. So we’re not so surprised that the majority are compliant, just shocked at how harsh the restrictions are for so little reason. Are they trying to out-do NZ?"

Over to you down there.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Australia - a nation of convicts or prison warders?

Post by Global Administrator »

Perhaps we just want to try and stay alive?

Maybe after BREXIT, that is not a big ambition for some Brits, but here people are optimistic about our future. Now, and 20 years back.

I suggest your over the fence alleged genius un-named sources check how many UK DEATHS they have been due to COVID, and how few here, seeing UK is just over twice our population.

Perhaps we have wisely learned from the very MASSIVE British mistakes?

I know checking facts is difficult for some Brits, so here we go, to make it easy -

~132,000 British Covid DEATHS.

Under 1,000 Australian DEATHS.

If we managed COVID just as poorly as Britain has, then about 50,000 ozzies would NOT be alive today. Agree?

That perhaps is WHY we are being cautious. :idea:

Very sensible, it seems to me.

I can go and post mail each day at my PO, go to the supermarket, liquor store, or gas station, or car mechanic etc, so life goes on, pretty smoothly.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Australia - a cowering nation due to COVID rules?

Post by GB 789 »

How dare you criticise that mighty nation of Ozland!!! Certain members of their population love throwing dirt on other countries but can’t take any criticism about their own country!

Have you not seen the riots in Melbourne and Sydney with people against lockdown? But don’t tell the Ozzies, they get too offended!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Australia - a nation of convicts or prison warders?

Post by Global Administrator »

Global Administrator wrote:
27 Aug 2021 01:39

Perhaps we have wisely learned from the very MASSIVE British mistakes?

I know checking facts is difficult for some Brits, so here we go, to make it easy -

~132,000 British Covid DEATHS.

Under 1,000 Australian DEATHS.

If we managed COVID just as poorly as Britain has, then about 50,000 ozzies would NOT be alive today. Agree?

That perhaps is WHY we are being cautious. :idea:

Very sensible, it seems to me.

Reedin an compreehenshun also suffered in parts of Britain due to COVID. :!:

I blame the warm beer personally.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”