British Society of Russian Philately to close at the end of the year.

Feel free to start a specific forum on *YOUR* club. List out where you meet - and WHEN. Outline how to join, how to contact the club, the name of your journal and post entire contents of each journal if you wish - with photos! All **FREE**. Societies are the backbone of the hobby and we are delighted to support them as much as we can.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

British Society of Russian Philately to close at the end of the year.

Post by norvic »

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 20.46.02.png

The Society was founded on 31st October 1936, and originally named ‘The Russian Study Circle’. The founder President was Dr A H Wortman, FRPS, who continued to be a member of the Executive Committee until his death in January 1983

It aims were defined as the study of the postage stamps and postal history of Russia (past and present), including the various independent republics set up between the Revolution and the formation of the USSR, Poland, Finland and the Baltic States. It sought to draw together the collectors of this material resident in Great Britain who were then comparatively few. The field of study has expanded, moreover, to include the new republics, Mongolia and Tuva, as well as revenue and other Cinderella material over the whole area.

The decision to dissolve the British Society of Russian Philately as at 31 December 2023 was taken by the Acting President and Society Committee. at an EGM held on 22 May 2023.

Ivo Steyn, one time active member here writes:
It has so few members now (worldwide less than 100 and only 18 in the UK) that it has become impossible to find volunteers to fill the posts that keep the society going: Editor, Treasurer, etc
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 291/3, 310, 327/8, 331/7, 346, 353/8, 364, 370-2
norvic

Re: British Society of Russian Philately to close at the end of the year.

Post by norvic »

I have downloaded all the downloadable archive. I'll try to provide answers if anybody asks questions on the subjects. Sadly the titles don't convey much in scome cases, but if anyone has any interest in this area I suggest they look at the website now while it is still there.

1. The Captain’s Log by Raymond Casey - a look at Imperial Russian ship mail in the Caspian Sea.

2. WHAT IS “ФИШЕР” - an inscription in margins of the 1920s definitives.

3. 1935-36 KUSHKA by Robert Jack

4. Some Money for the Abbot

5. POLISH OCCUPATION OF SKALAT

6. Batum Postal History During British Occupation

7. The Russian Empire Used Abroad: The Registration Labels of the Russian Post Office of Sharasume (Altai)

8. The Anglo-American intervention in Eastern Siberia

9. The First Issue of the Lokhvitsa Zemstvo

10. Three Interesting Covers from the British Military in North Russia, Siberia and the Baltic

11. First Day Covers of the Romanov Tercentenary Issue

12. THE NORTHERN ROUTE – MAIL FROM AFGHANISTAN THROUGH RUSSIA DURING WORLD WAR II
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Magnus
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Magnus »

Thank you for the hint. I also downloaded som files to bolster my newly awakening interest in Russia/SSSR stamps.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

No political overtones to this?

Russian based members likely were IP blocked in recent years from accessing the site etc.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

I am from Sweden!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 02 Jul 2023 00:01 No political overtones to this?

Russian based members likely were IP blocked in recent years from accessing the site etc.

I doubt it; there is a Russian Representative the same as there are representatives from other parts of the world, but I doubt if the lack of internet access made much difference.

There are other Russia-related societies in other parts of the world and Russian residents would have similar access problems.

https://rossica.org/ - Today, there are over 275 active Rossica members from 46 US states and 40 different countries. Rossica has been in existence for more than 93 years. The Society was established on April 14, 1929 in Igalo, Yugoslavia.

The Canadian Society of Russian Philately
The CSRP closed in 2009. The archive of its journal ‘Post Rider’ is available digitally through Rossica. There is more information here (http://www.rossica.org/Samovar/viewthread.php?tid=2263).

Arbeitsgemeinschaft Russland/UdSSR
A community of primarily German-speaking collectors interested in the philately and postal history of Russia, the RSFSR, USSR, the new republics and related areas. Website not updated this year, but maybe there are activities in reality. https://arge-russland.de/
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

My Russian handyman has been in Russia for 5 weeks and flies back tomorrow (he hopes!) and says masses of sites from the west are totally blocked.

I had to pay a parking ticket for him last week as there was no way he could access the sites. All blocked.

More widespread that you might imagine.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 02 Jul 2023 02:46
More widespread that you might imagine.
Not sure whether you're agreeing with me that lack of access wouldn't have made much difference to society activity, or just adding more info,
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well you have not bothered to offer us a LINK, but if they say 'worldwide less than 100 and only 18 in the UK' my common sense hunch is a chunk of that 78 members are Russian.
norvic

Post by norvic »

What sort of link would you expect me to offer?

https://www.bsrp.org/

NO society anywhere publishes a list of all its members and their locations to non-members, so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

You won't find that information on their website, nor will you find details of why they are closing down.
It has so few members now (worldwide less than 100 and only 18 in the UK) that it has become impossible to find volunteers to fill the posts that keep the society going: Editor, Treasurer, etc
That's in an email from Ivo to myself.

Would most members of the British Society of Australian Philately be in Australia?
Current Membership is spread over the United Kingdom, Europe, the Americas, South Africa and Australasia. As with every Society our membership reflects a wide range of experience and collecting interests covering the whole gamut of Australian philatelic collecting. New members will find a willingness of everyone to share their knowledge and assist with a free interchange of information.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Capturer.JPG
Well maybe the Russians blocked them - who knows - they are not keen on this stuff.
Derbyboi2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Derbyboi2 »

norvic wrote: 02 Jul 2023 03:48 What sort of link would you expect me to offer?

https://www.bsrp.org/

NO society anywhere publishes a list of all its members and their locations to non-members, so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

You won't find that information on their website, nor will you find details of why they are closing down.
That's in an email from Ivo to myself.

Would most members of the British Society of Australian Philately be in Australia?
Current Membership is spread over the United Kingdom, Europe, the Americas, South Africa and Australasia. As with every Society our membership reflects a wide range of experience and collecting interests covering the whole gamut of Australian philatelic collecting. New members will find a willingness of everyone to share their knowledge and assist with a free interchange of information.
Surprisingly, perhaps, the majority of members of the BSAP Facebook forum are from Australia! That is not necessarily reflected in the Membership of the Society, but we do have a large number of Australian members also, some of whom make the journey to the UK for the annual general meeting.
norvic

Post by norvic »

:)

At a BSRP Jubilee meeting many years ago I met a prominent member from Minsk. We chatted for a long time about the modern (1990s) situation and he was surprised when I told a joke about Lukashenko that he hadn’t heard.

The fact remains that with too few members nationally willing/able to take key posts and decisions the Society that I belonged to for a few years ago is folding.
DigitalPhilatelist

Post by DigitalPhilatelist »

A quick check:

- No Facebook group or page or any other social media account. (The link on their front page is dead).
- No digital membership offering
- No benefits listed other than paying a fee
- No click'n'pay option
- Locked down membership zone
- Website homepage looks like an advertisement page for anyone but stamp collectors

Honestly, there is ZERO reason to close. Societies can't sit around and hope someone visits the local community centre. I hope someone with basic social media knowledge can turn it around. It's been done before.
If you have a philatelic blog, website, organisation etc., let me know! You can list it for free at TheDigitalPhilatelist.com.

Return to “CLUBS - This is YOUR Club space to use however you wish - please add your details!”