Help Needed to Stitch Two JPG Images Side by Side

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

OttawaMike
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Help Needed to Stitch Two JPG Images Side by Side

Post by OttawaMike »

I am trying to update an old thread of mine relating to a single frame exhibit. I have scanned all the pages, but two of them are double pages, so I effectively have half page scans of these. I am trying to stitch the images together to create one image of each of the double pages.

I have Photoshop, but the YouTube videos I can find seem to relate to a version I do not have. Mine is probably old.

Anybody have a suggestion?

:?:
Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Help Needed to Stitch Two JPG Images Side by Side

Post by Allanswood »

I can do it in 30 seconds Mike, but I don't use Photoshop.

There must be a way you can open 1 file, increase the width to double and then paste the second file into the larger image side by side with the first?

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

I wasted an entire afternoon trying Photoshop and several free programs online. No soap. I am reluctant to impose, but would you do it for me if I emailed the images? It is obvious how they go together, and I don't need perfection.

:oops:
Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

OttawaMike wrote: 21 Sep 2023 09:51 I wasted an entire afternoon trying Photoshop and several free programs online. No soap. I am reluctant to impose, but would you do it for me if I emailed the images? It is obvious how they go together, and I don't need perfection.

:oops:
Open the first image.

Go to top menu and choose Image/Canvas size and double the width.

Drag the second image onto the first.

Pick the moving tool at top in the tool box bar at left and position it as you want.

When satisfied go to top menu and choose Layer/Flatten image.

Go to File/Save as choose jpg and new file name.

OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

I appreciate you trying to help, Rigs.

I load the left image to Photoshop.

I find image/canvas size and I double the width. The new image has wide margins on both sides.

I load the right image. It sits in the middle of the screen, exactly on top of the first image.

There, I am at a loss. :oops:
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

email me Mike. :D Happy to help.

Might try it at work with my new Affinity software.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

OttawaMike wrote: 21 Sep 2023 11:54
I find image/canvas size and I double the width. The new image has wide margins on both sides.
Looks like allanswood will help, but for the record click the little anchor dot to the left before you click ok to widen the canvas:
2023-09-21 10_56_52-Canvas Size.jpg
satsuma
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

OttawaMike wrote: 21 Sep 2023 11:54 I appreciate you trying to help, Rigs.

I load the left image to Photoshop.

I load the right image. It sits in the middle of the screen, exactly on top of the first image.

There, I am at a loss. :oops:
What you have done to this stage is created a new layer over the top of the original one.

Look for an icon like either the left or right side of this:
layers
layers
Click on it and it will open and show you a list of the layers in the image.
Select the layer you want to move from that list by clicking on it.

Find this icon which should be at the top of the left menu panel:
move icon
move icon
and click on it to activate it.
Now you can move your layer either by clicking on it and then moving the mouse or by using the arrow keys on the keyboard.

When you are happy with the location, click somewhere off the image to deactivate it.

On recent versions of Photoshop there's no need to flatten the image, saving it as a .jpg will do that automatically.
If you aren't sure you've reached perfection, save it as a .psd file as well and you can go back to it with the layers intact.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

satsuma wrote: 21 Sep 2023 14:16 On recent versions of Photoshop there's no need to flatten the image, saving it as a .jpg will do that automatically.
If you aren't sure you've reached perfection, save it as a .psd file as well and you can go back to it with the layers intact.
That's news to me.

I am running v24.7.1, updated 7 days ago.

The menu option for .jpg doesn't appear for a layered file when clicking 'Save as', unless you first flatten the artwork.

And just clicking Save defaults to a psd file.

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

When you click save as there's a drop down option for the kind of file you want.

I'm using Photoshop CC version 19.1.5
OttawaMike

Post by OttawaMike »

Thanks to all who tried to help this dense poster to figure out how to do this. :D :D

Allanswood has graciously done the task for me. I will post all the images in a couple of days. Hopefully, it will be of some interest.
AdmiralCollector
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by AdmiralCollector »

As with many other pieces of software, there are different ways to do the same thing. My old stand-alone version of Photoshop has a Merge feature somewhere which may work for landscapes, but not coins and stamps. Newer versions may have the tools and/or menu items in different places, but I’m sure you’ll be able to figure it out from the steps below. So here is how I do it:

- Open your pictures in Photoshop.
- Crop as desired.
- Resize both pictures to desired size. For example, if doing a coin, make sure both obverse and reverse are the same height. Same if you are doing both sides of a stamp.

- Go to the FILE menu, and choose New > Blank File.
- Make sure the dimensions (in pixels) will accommodate both of your pictures. It is OK to be 100 pixels or so to big on both width and height. Give you some wiggle room a bit later. For example, if both of my pictures are about 600 pixels in both directions, I will set the size of the new blank file at 1350 X 700 pixels.

- With the Rectangular Marquee Tool select one of your pictures.
- Copy it.
- With your Rectangular Marquee Tool select the approximate area in your new blank file where you want that picture to be.
- Paste your copied picture into your new blank picture.

- Do the same with your other picture.

- Go to the LAYER menu, and choose Merge Visible (this step is important).

- With the Move Tool, carefully select around one of your pictures that you pasted into the new blank file.
- Click and hold on the picture and move it right up next to the other picture.

- Crop any extra white space from your now combined picture.
- Double-check the pixel size of your new image just to make sure it is OK for how you want to use it.
- Save As or Save.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

That's a lot of work compared to my old Photoimpact. Hope my new PC is still able to run it.

All I do is:
Open 1st image and expand canvas.
Drag the 2nd file into it and move it into position and save as a new file.
That's it! 8-)

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Allanswood wrote: 26 Dec 2023 20:44 That's a lot of work compared to my old Photoimpact. Hope my new PC is still able to run it.
All I do is:
Open 1st image and expand canvas.
Drag the 2nd file into it and move it into position and save as a new file.
That's it!
Agreed. Probably no more than a minute for a pair of images.

Only one caveat. If practicable my screen grabs (if combining images) incorporate a slight overlap of images to ensure proper consistent alignment.
Time to quit. Was told what I should collect.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

AdmiralCollector wrote: 26 Dec 2023 15:58 As with many other pieces of software, there are different ways to do the same thing. My old stand-alone version of Photoshop has a Merge feature somewhere which may work for landscapes, but not coins and stamps. Newer versions may have the tools and/or menu items in different places, but I’m sure you’ll be able to figure it out from the steps below. So here is how I do it:

- Open your pictures in Photoshop.
- Crop as desired.
- Resize both pictures to desired size. For example, if doing a coin, make sure both obverse and reverse are the same height. Same if you are doing both sides of a stamp.

- Go to the FILE menu, and choose New > Blank File.
- Make sure the dimensions (in pixels) will accommodate both of your pictures. It is OK to be 100 pixels or so to big on both width and height. Give you some wiggle room a bit later. For example, if both of my pictures are about 600 pixels in both directions, I will set the size of the new blank file at 1350 X 700 pixels.

- With the Rectangular Marquee Tool select one of your pictures.
- Copy it.
- With your Rectangular Marquee Tool select the approximate area in your new blank file where you want that picture to be.
- Paste your copied picture into your new blank picture.

- Do the same with your other picture.

- Go to the LAYER menu, and choose Merge Visible (this step is important).

- With the Move Tool, carefully select around one of your pictures that you pasted into the new blank file.
- Click and hold on the picture and move it right up next to the other picture.

- Crop any extra white space from your now combined picture.

- Double-check the pixel size of your new image just to make sure it is OK for how you want to use it.
- Save As or Save.
May I suggest this may not be the best way to do this?

Use the move tool to adjust the location of the second image as desired. (It's already selected from the copy/paste so you don't need to do it again)

Crop as desired, photoshop selects the canvas to do this, not the active layer.

Then if you've finished fiddling and want to save it as a *.psd file you can merge visible and proceed, although there is little advantage in doing this because flattening the image restricts future options.

If you want to save it as a *.jpg or other format, the save process will flatten it to one layer for you.

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”