Share your Copyright Royalty stamps still on the old-time record labels

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Seuk
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Sharing Copyright Royalty stamps still on the record labels

Post by Seuk »

1.jpg
New Swedish stamp "Musikaliska Knuten - Stockholm / Ekophon Licens" + common red NCB stamp - appears to be a 1928 release
1.jpg
Shamanator
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Shamanator »

I am in the process of cataloguing my approx. 2200 shellac records and came across this royalty stamp with which I'm not familiar on a 1928 Australian record. In fact, it was from searching for info on this stamp that I found Stampboards last night.

I understand from an earlier post in this thread that "Clifford Industries" manufactured records from US masters in that year, and had its own label (examples of which I've seen on Discogs). I can't really make out what the stamp's image is supposed to be. Darn these old eyes!

Anyway, I thought you all might like to see it...and now in the future, if someone Googles "Clifford Industries Limited" hopefully this image and post will come up.

Cheers!
Regal G20125-B.jpg
Clifford Industries Royalty Stamp.jpg
adam78
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by adam78 »

Yes, the Clifford stamps are elusive, almost all found are the 1¼d value. I've yet to see a decent looking copy of the 1d.
Here's my written-up page.
Clifford Industries copyright stamps
Clifford Industries copyright stamps
Adam
Shamanator

Post by Shamanator »

Thank you so much for that, Adam! I do love learning about arcane bits of history.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Not tooo arcane!

In the 1980s I worked for Australia's largest record company. We had no automation back then even.

EVERY 45rpm or 33rpm LP we made then was made manually exactly as in this hand machine.

There was a huge room of them. And about 50 or 100 operators. Got VERY hot there in summer as the Vinyl was hot, due to high heat of each press. 8-)

It was like a dingy, dark, smelly, hot workhouse scene from the Industrial Revolution in Liverpool!

If they were pressing Elton John or Olivia or Skyhooks or Leo Sayer or Bee Gees, the press was set up with an electrolytically 'grown' metal stamper, affixed to top and base of it.

Each 'stamper' set was good for about 10,000 discs, and were then re-melted. (Or, we also made lots of 'Gold Records' for artists and managers etc, and old stampers were always used for that. They were silver colour, so perfect for 'Platinum' LPs, and they were electrolytically coated in-house with a micron or two of gold in the big baths, for 'Gold' records.)

They had a room full of huge electrolytic chemical baths where the master disc (that you could technically play) that 'grew' stampers, that of course had all music data in reverse.

Then the relevant paper record labels were hand added to each stamper top and base, and then a fist size blob of warm vinyl was placed in the centre, the press pulled down, like a trouser press, and the excess hot vinyl extruding around edges was peeled away, and tossed into the remelt bin, and VOILA - one new Bee Gees LP. :lol:

In a hydraulic press fitted with 2 pre-heated moulds, and fitted with 2 metal 'stampers', the pre-heated vinyl 'spud' is inserted into the machine, sandwiched between two completely dry labels, facing down of course.

Once the pressing process is started, the labels and vinyl are pressed under a pressure of 100 or more tons, at a temperature of 160°C (345°F) for a precise amount of time. The surfaces of the grooved stampers are thus copied/transferred exactly into the vinyl.

After the pressing mould is sufficiently cooled, the press opens and the vinyl record is removed, excess vinyl peeled off, and visually inspected

They were then placed in stacks on tall spikes to cool flat (very important of course), and a separate part of warehouse added the opaque plastic protective sleeve, and then slid into the correct LP jacket. All also by hand.

So 10,000 Bee Gees albums took a ton of manpower to make and box up. :lol:

Glen
A 'spud' of milky white vinyl to make a white colour LP, with label underneath, placed on top of the lower metal stamper.
A 'spud' of milky white vinyl to make a white colour LP, with label underneath, placed on top of the lower metal stamper.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Seuk

Post by Seuk »

adam78 wrote: 29 Oct 2022 08:40
Seuk wrote: 28 Oct 2022 06:01 Found it - This one however seems to be a new one. In same design as the Lewinsohn St. stamp in the unidentified section.
The record is Danish (but made in Germany). Title originally released in 1922 but this is probably a slightly later reissue c.1923/24?
Yes, since publication I have also found the Reala one in red. Both it and the Lewinsohn share a lot of design similarities with the Odeon types 2 and 3, so maybe all are Odeon creations?
ImageImage
2.jpg
Sorting through a large pile of 12" I found an Odeon record with the red Reala stamp. The printing seems a little different than your example and also has different overprint
Odeon AA 57840-57842.jpg

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”