Jon Visits the Stafford (UK) Stamp Show, June 2024

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Jon E
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Jon Visits the Stafford (UK) Stamp Show, June 2024

Post by Jon E »

The Stafford stamp show is a two day event (14th and 15th June) and having managed to bagsie the first day off work I arrived at 9.59 AM, one minute before it opened ! Its a large show, with a large main hall along with two smaller rooms.
The main hall after opening - and soon a lot busier.
The main hall after opening - and soon a lot busier.
After some 4 hours, I managed to bagsie the following swag:
The haul
The haul
In the next few posts I'll detail a small selection of the items in a bit more detail as it covers a large portion of my interests and illustrates and the fun of stamp shows you just dont get by shopping online. Indeed, many of the purchases cost only a fraction of what I'd cost to post it, plus of course you get the fun of rumaging through boxes and generally get to chat to a few people.
Last edited by Jon E on 15 Jun 2024 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Jon E

Re: Jon Visits the Stafford (UK) Stame Show, June 2024

Post by Jon E »

The Pound A Card Box Selection
=========================

I have a collection of maps - mostly from the era where you get some lovely engraved images, and all the better when they are part of a set that includes scenes from the area. So these two cards fit that bill - though no idea if thats a complete set.
North Borneo, may be complete set but includes a map
North Borneo, may be complete set but includes a map
My collection of GB non-commercial overprints has taken a bit of a back burner for the past few years, but the following Ireland overprints came home with me to check through.
A selection of 1922 Irish Overprints
A selection of 1922 Irish Overprints
Theres a thread on this 'ere board with more about these issues (https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=32628) Taking just three stamps from the top-left card ...
Three overprint varieties
Three overprint varieties
... you can see three varieties of one of the overprints (note the style off, and position of, the 1922). In addition the right-most stamp perfs indicate its from a coil.

The next item is a candidate for my 1d red collection:
1d red part cover with T.P Sunbury handstamp
1d red part cover with T.P Sunbury handstamp
OK, probably a slightly cut down cover and only a 2 margin stamp, but curious about the T.P Sunbury handstamp so took a punt on it.
Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Jon Visits the Stafford (UK) Stamp Show, June 2024.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Edit your heading Jon and then show me the postcard in bottom right corner.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

And so to 25p first day cover box and the cover boxes and cut-from-FDC covers boxes on many dealer's stand.Inexplicable, cutouts from FDCs were typically 2 to 4 times the price of a full cover - but is still a cheap way of getting a set of stamps for issues that were seldom available at the post office. I lost interest in GB commems in 1999 and most issues since then are of little interest, but there are still designs that I do like:
50th anniversary of children's TV 3rd September 1996
50th anniversary of children's TV 3rd September 1996
British pub signs 12th Aug 2003
British pub signs 12th Aug 2003
The Weather 13th March 2001
The Weather 13th March 2001

Just goes to show what little financial value there is for modern FDC's
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

I also collect Machins (stop yawning back there!) but one thing I hadn't decided on was stamps from prestige books - I don't really feel they are meant to be used as postage so don't see the point of including single stamps from them in the main collection of mint/used. However, the books often contain Machin varieties unique to that book, so what to do ? Well, now they are available for peanuts, why not just add the complete pane ?
A sample of the 25p covers
A sample of the 25p covers
A sample of FDC cut-outs
A sample of FDC cut-outs
Some of the covers will remain as covers, some will be soaked.

Not all the covers are UK; for example I quite like some of modern Australia stamps, so it would have been rude not to pick this one up:
An Australia FDC
An Australia FDC
Last edited by Jon E on 15 Jun 2024 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

Its not all pretty stamps, part of the fun is you just dont know what might turn up - in this case, junk :-)

Richard Nixon was sworn into office in January 1969, and with the North Atlantic Treaty in danger of falling apart amongst his first jobs was a Europen tour from February 23rd to March 2nd (https://www.nixonfoundation.org/exhibit/nixons-european-trip/).The trip included a visit to London between 24th and 26th February - and what better reason for a souvenier cover from ... er ... County Durham !
Nixon UK Visit Cover
Nixon UK Visit Cover
The link ? There was a village in County Durham called Washington.
Location of Washington, UK
Location of Washington, UK
In 1967, the UK made a second application to join the Common Market (the first being in 1960), this time taking only three years for an agreement being signed, then a further year until a commons debate in October 1971. This cover, cancelled London SW1 on 28th Oct 1971, relates to that House of Commons debate - an event surely deserving of a special cover (appologies to anyone whose sarcasmometer just exploded).
Common Market Debate Cover
Common Market Debate Cover
From https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transforming ... ew/europe/: "The question of whether Britain should sign the Treaty of Accession was debated in the House of Commons in October 1971. Domestic opinion was strongly against membership and there was strong concern over whether the terms negotiated were good enough for Britain. Doubts over many issues affecting Britain's future were aired in a debate that lasted six days."

Britain finally signed up on 22nd January 1972.
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

There were individual stamp purchases too. I collect GB revenues but am branching out into rest of the world; So here's a few from down under:
ozrevenues.jpg
The railway stamp might not count as a revenue, but I liked it so I bought it anyway.

I'm also finding I'm starting to get a lot of revenues for Central and South America, but struggling to find info about them.
El Salvador Money Order Stamps c1900
El Salvador Money Order Stamps c1900
Equador - Know nothing about these
Equador - Know nothing about these
Also a couple of American revenues:
USA Stock Transfer Perforated With Company Initials
USA Stock Transfer Perforated With Company Initials
And some UK Cinderella; around Christmas time in the UK, scout groups are allowed to undertake postal deliveries within a local area and since the 1980's have often issued stamps for the purpose. I have a growing collection of these - I don't go out of my way to get them but when they turn up in the pennies range then they come home with me even when, like these, they aren't the most inspiring of designs.
Small selection of Scout stamps
Small selection of Scout stamps
Jon E

Re: Jon Visits the Stafford (UK) Stamp Show, June 2024

Post by Jon E »

Saving my favorite buys of the day 'til last, in third place we have this cover and at £12 the second most expensive purchase of the day:
Railway Stamps on Urgent Package
Railway Stamps on Urgent Package
I have a collection of UK railway stamps - only a representative sample collection, but its nice to have examples of how stamps were used. This 1969 cover from Newport to Cardiff, a distance of 12 miles, was used to send urgent pictures for inclusion in a newspaper. Now we can take a photo and have it arrive at its destination within seconds of pressing the shutter.
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

In second place - and by far the most expensive purchase of the day are two machins with a face value of 00p .. was that predicting their value following the Great Machin Cull??:-) (refer https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=98232).
Machin 00p Values
Machin 00p Values
They are shown alongside a standard Machin though the colour doesn't really match (more noticeable in daylight). You will however notice quite a difference in the heads and print detail - the 00p uses a later "EME" process.
Last edited by Jon E on 15 Jun 2024 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

I know you are now on the edge of your seats - what could possible out-do all the previous most excellent purchases ?

Ta-Da !
Early GB Commercial Overprints
Early GB Commercial Overprints
These commercial overprints predate the introduction of perfins (in 1868). Many of the overprints from this period are only known on 1 or 2 examples, so it was pleasing to find these two new finds for my catalogue (see https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=104573).

They were part of a much larger £150 collection of revenues which I mostly had, but the dealer was good enough to let me take just these two items for a total of a tenner.

Well, that's it. Hope you found plenty of interest, or at least plenty to poke fun at !
Last edited by Jon E on 15 Jun 2024 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Where's the postcard I asked for ?
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:12 Edit your heading Jon and then show me the postcard in bottom right corner.
D'Oh ... missed that "U" out and don't know how to edit the title :-(

As for postcard bottom right - they aren't post cards. They are in fact fuel ration books - I was going to post images but then thought I'd waffled on enough and these aren't really stamps.
Selection of Fuel Ration Books
Selection of Fuel Ration Books
Sample ration book changes
Sample ration book changes
In the UK, fuel rationing was introduced in World War II and lasted until 1950. However, fuel was also rationed in 1956 during the Suez crisis and preparations were made in 1973 for rationing during yet another fuel crisis. These books (or at least the first three) are from the 1973 crisis; according to https://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s70s-petrol-rationing.htm:
There was a scare during the oil crisis of 1973 that petrol would have to go back on ration. Petrol coupons were produced as part of contingency plans although, in the event, only relatively few were distributed to who were regarded as those in significant work, and in the event, petrol did not go back on ration.
The contents of the first three books are issued with the authority of the Ministry of Technology, whereas the fourth book is a different size and issued with the Authority of the Ministry of Power.

TTFN,
Jon
Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:32 Where's the postcard I asked for ?
Gimmie a chance ! :D Although I had scanned the images I needed the time to edit them.
Last edited by Jon E on 15 Jun 2024 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Like those ration books Jon. Are they complete ?

The NSW railway stamp is a revenue because it is from a government department.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Not a bad W.A. swan for only a few pocket pennies, although my personal favourite is your 1d red part cover. It looks very smart! 8-)

That said, not much into machins myself but I dare say you made a well found purchase of those 00p machins. ;)
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:51 Like those ration books Jon. Are they complete ?
Yes they are complete and absolutely mint. A couple of quid each; I have other ration books tucked away that are earlier, including clothing.
Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:51 The NSW railway stamp is a revenue because it is from a government department.
That's my feeling too, however they do not form part of Booth's British Commonwealth Revenues catalogue. Similarly, Booths GB Revenues does not list the GB railway stamps (after the private railways were nationalised). But then I collect what I like and catalogues are just an aid, and I liked this one and will no doubt be acquiring more in future.
Catweazle wrote: 16 Jun 2024 01:08 Not a bad W.A. swan for only a few pocket pennies, although my personal favourite is your 1d red part cover. It looks very smart! 8-)
The cover is trimmed down and whilst the stamp is clean and lightly cancelled is only two margin. But for all that it looks nice and as my main interest is what that handstamp is (and it was cheap :D) I'll be happy to have it in the collection.

TTFN,
Jon
CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

Jon E wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:09 The next item is a candidate for my 1d red collection:

OK, probably a slightly cut down cover and only a 2 margin stamp, but curious about the T.P Sunbury handstamp so took a punt on it.
The T.P | Sunbury handstamp would have been applied at the London Twopenny Post Receiving House in Sunbury (now Sunbury on Thames) where the letter was posted.

These London receiving houses were normally located in another business; in this case, up until 1849, the receiver was Louisa Ruff, a baker.
Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Some interesting items there Jon and I love threads like this so thanks for posting your day at the Fair :D

I particularly liked the Australian revenues, the Railway stamps on the News Photo package and those early GB overprints.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

CMJ wrote: 16 Jun 2024 04:40 The T.P | Sunbury handstamp would have been applied at the London Twopenny Post Receiving House in Sunbury (now Sunbury on Thames) where the letter was posted.
Ah ha, thanks for that ! With that snippet I'm now able to find out a bit more, for example from https://www.stampsoftheworld.co.uk/wiki/London_Receiving_Houses_(GB) :
Receiving Houses were shops, and businesses that letters could be left at for transmission to the General Post Office for dispatch and delivery, they were not allowed to conduct any other business other than acceptance of mail.

By 1830 there were a total of 148 Receiving Houses in London city area. All Receivers were paid a fixed annual salary of two pounds with an additional payment of 1d for every 10 letters accepted and passed on to the GPO. Lists of Receiving Houses, constantly changed and many lists were produced. The Town Receivers sent their letters 6 times daily to the Principal Office to which they were attached.
So, well pleased with this little addition to my 1d red collection.

TTFN,
Jon
ebay

Post by ebay »

Thanks for sharing these Jon

Very interesting ration books i would have thought they would have cost more then what you'd paid.
and very nice Machins there 00p 8-)

Like Philexx said above i like threads like this with a good mix of interesting items.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Jon E wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:47 They are in fact fuel ration books - I was going to post images but then thought I'd waffled on enough and these aren't really stamps.

In the UK, fuel rationing was introduced in World War II and lasted until 1950. However, fuel was also rationed in 1956 during the Suez crisis and preparations were made in 1973 for rationing during yet another fuel crisis. These books (or at least the first three) are from the 1973 crisis; according to https://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s70s-petrol-rationing.htm:
There was a scare during the oil crisis of 1973 that petrol would have to go back on ration. Petrol coupons were produced as part of contingency plans although, in the event, only relatively few were distributed to who were regarded as those in significant work, and in the event, petrol did not go back on ration.
The contents of the first three books are issued with the authority of the Ministry of Technology, whereas the fourth book is a different size and issued with the Authority of the Ministry of Power.

TTFN,
Jon
Just in case there is any doubt, none of these was issued for WW2, and they were almost certainly printed at HMSO security press, Harrow. I believe some were produced during the later Arab Oil Crisis. The imprint on the back should show the year of printing.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

norvic wrote: 16 Jun 2024 17:47
Jon E wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:47
These books (or at least the first three) are from the 1973 crisis;
Just in case there is any doubt, none of these was issued for WW2, and they were almost certainly printed at HMSO security press, Harrow. I believe some were produced during the later Arab Oil Crisis. The imprint on the back should show the year of printing.
Yes, the Arab Oil Crisis was 1973. They were prepared for a possible issue but in the end were not needed, which is why there are plenty of complete unused books about. I suspect wartime and Suez era books would be very unlikely to turn up unused ! There is no imprint on the back (or anywhere) to suggest a year - the books cover a six month period and an issue date would have been applied if they'd ever got used. Oddly, on closer examination, one of them is lightly marked in pencil "MG1000" with the registration NHL 937E, which is a 1966 plate.

I am puzzled why three of them are issued by the Minister of Power and one by the Minister of Technology ?

Didn't know these would be so popular ! If I can find where on earth I placed my other ration books (fuel, clothing, etc) I'll post them in a new thread.

TTFN,
Jon
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

The AVERAGE annual UK gross wage in depressed, ration book, post-war UK in 1950, was just £100 - I kid you not - www.tinyurl.com/UKwage - around TWO quid a week gross before tax. FACT. (And paid annual leave was typically just ONE week!) And that £2 a week was the average national gross wage, not the minimum wage. :!:

This BBC link, outlining the Food Rationing in the UK well after WW2, might surprise some - www.tinyurl.com/RationUK - National rationing did not totally end until 1954. Meat, bacon, sugar, and butter were all tightly rationed across the UK, right up to the QE2 Coronation year in 1953.

Australians mailed many 100,000s of large food parcels to Brits in this post-war era. A concessional 5/10d parcel postage rate was created for these 'Food For Britain' parcels.

The Post Office offered a special low cost concession reduced rate of 5/10d for 14 pound weight cartons of such goods. This was an INCREDIBLY low rate. A standard ½ oz airmail letter to the UK cost 1/6d - or more than 25% the cost of a heavy carton of food!

UK Food rationing began on 8 January 1940, four months after the outbreak of war. Limits were imposed on the sale of bacon, butter and sugar.

Then on 11 March 1940 all meat was rationed. Clothes coupons were introduced and a black market soon developed while queuing outside shops and bartering for extra food became a way of life.

There were allowances made for pregnant women who used special green ration books to get extra food rations, and breastfeeding mothers had extra milk.

Restrictions were gradually lifted three years after war had ended, starting with flour on 25 July 1948, followed by clothes on 15 March 1949.

On 19 May 1950 rationing ended for canned and dried fruit, chocolate biscuits, treacle, syrup, jellies and mincemeat.

Petrol rationing, imposed in 1939, ended in May 1950 followed by soap in September 1950.

Three years later sales of sugar were off ration and last, May butter rationing ended.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Global Admin wrote: 16 Jun 2024 20:05 Australians mailed many 100,000s of large food parcels to Brits in this post-war era. A concessional 5/10d parcel postage rate was created for these 'Food For Britain' parcels.

The Post Office offered a special low cost concession reduced rate of 5/10d for 14 pound weight cartons of such goods. This was an INCREDIBLY low rate. A standard ½ oz airmail letter to the UK cost 1/6d - or more than 25% the cost of a heavy carton of food!

And the recipients of those parcels would have been INCREDIBLY grateful for the generosity of the Australian people.

Which makes the behaviour of our government towards trade with Australia (and other Commonwealth countries) in the wake of joining the EEC even more shameful. :idea:
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Gavin, yes the British Government dropped us like a hot brick in the early 1960s, frantically trying to join the EEC, only to be blocked by France for 10 years, and when they finally joined, entire export industries to the UK here collapsed overnight. Literally.

I sometime wonder how the love affair with joining the EEC/EU went down in the UK in recent times. Maybe they'll hold a referendum on it one day? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the label above - a 14 pound carton of food just sent to unknown recipients just to help them out in tough times. They needed to buy the goods retail, and then stump up a day's wages type money to post them. Folks are kind-hearted at times.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Jon E wrote: 16 Jun 2024 19:45
norvic wrote: 16 Jun 2024 17:47
Jon E wrote: 15 Jun 2024 23:47
These books (or at least the first three) are from the 1973 crisis;
Yes, the Arab Oil Crisis was 1973. They were prepared for a possible issue but in the end were not needed, which is why there are plenty of complete unused books about. I suspect wartime and Suez era books would be very unlikely to turn up unused ! There is no imprint on the back (or anywhere) to suggest a year - the books cover a six month period and an issue date would have been applied if they'd ever got used. Oddly, on closer examination, one of them is lightly marked in pencil "MG1000" with the registration NHL 937E, which is a 1966 plate.

I am puzzled why three of them are issued by the Minister of Power and one by the Minister of Technology ?

Didn't know these would be so popular ! If I can find where on earth I placed my other ration books (fuel, clothing, etc) I'll post them in a new thread.

TTFN,
Jon
The "Ministry of Power" existed from 1957 to 1969 when it was merged with the "Ministry of Technology".
The MoT was established in 1964 and abolished in 1970 (ie a product of the Wilson governments of the same dates)

So both would have been obsolete by the time of the 1973 oil crisis.

I wonder if these were already printed and in storage as a contingency against future crises? Perhaps there are still decades-old booklets in some government facility, stored in case they are needed at short notice?
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

Bill H UK wrote: 17 Jun 2024 19:08 The "Ministry of Power" existed from 1957 to 1969 when it was merged with the "Ministry of Technology".
The MoT was established in 1964 and abolished in 1970 (ie a product of the Wilson governments of the same dates)

So both would have been obsolete by the time of the 1973 oil crisis.

I wonder if these were already printed and in storage as a contingency against future crises? Perhaps there are still decades-old booklets in some government facility, stored in case they are needed at short notice?
There's a subtle difference between minister and ministry; the government creates a new ministry and an associated new ministerial job for the boys - but that job doesn't necessarily disappear when the ministry merges into others. The books are issued with authority of a minister, not ministry.

As for storage as a contingency against future crises, that'd be planning ahead - a novelty for a British Goverment :D :D

TTFN,
Jon
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

An interesting thread indeed and a diverse range of purchases.

I've been to Stafford shows in the past and in my experience they always seem to have a good turnout of dealers - and collectors of course!
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
overprints
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by overprints »

n second place - and by far the most expensive purchase of the day are two machins with a face value of 00p ..
I was lucky enough to find a smal herd of 00p in different colors (around 30 as I recall, but not a full set of colors) but no imperf 00p.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”