Airmail Philatelic Literature - A Request for Review on these -

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

enoch
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Airmail Philatelic Literature - A Request for Review on these -

Post by enoch »

Could anyone give a brief comment on the following books, particularly whether they relate to airmail in the Pacific, ie Asia - US/UK? Are rates,routes and dates mentioned as well?

Airmail 1870 -1970 by James Mackay
Via Airmail - An Aerophilatelic Survey of Routes, Rates, ...
Bridging the Pacific 1919 - 1951
Intercontinental Airmails Vol 1 - Proud
Imperial Airways & Subsidiary Companies
Pan American Airways

Appreciate your comments before I placed the orders. Thanks!

665995-2.jpg

mrboggler
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by mrboggler »

Hi Enoch

Don,t know about any of the books,listed, but I do know that Eustis book does list all the Australian routes, which covers New Zealand, PNG, England etc.

You can get a copy of that one here on stampboards just look for Glen Stephens.ozstamps,Admin.or do a search.

can you ask whoever you are buying from,???
or do a Google to get some more info.?

I would imagine that the books you list would have at least the routes and dates other wise what else would be in the book. :?:

regards Ron.
Nunawading Stamp Fair
Last Sunday of Every Month - Jaycees Hall Silver Grove - Nunawading.

mouse5310
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Air Mail Books

Post by mouse5310 »

Hi
Some of these books I don't know, but "Via Airmail" I have it is a selection of Articles published by the American Air Mail Society, covers early U.S. domestic and overseas flights; New Zealand experimental flights across the Pacific 1930-40s Hong Kong Flights of Eurasia Airlines, the Lindenburg Circle, Hindenburg Flights Canadian Airmails 1918-34 etc.

Pan American Airways Which book? The one by Conrad III "An Aviation Legend PAn- AM "is an excellant book

Hope this helps.

David

enoch

Post by enoch »

Hi David,

Thanks for the comments.

I've bought the PanAm - it's just the booklet by Baldwin.

mouse5310

Air Mail Books

Post by mouse5310 »

Hi

Just to add to your library should you so wish Keep a look out for "The Story of Imperial Airways" by G.D. Gisburn published by Francis J. Field Ltd. Now out of print, but I have seen copies on e-bay and elsewhere. An excellant booklet describes in detail all the Imperial Airways Empire routes, a must for serious collectors of Empire Route flight covers up to outbreak of W.W.II.

If you let me know what specifically you are interested in maybe I can help you further. I have been studying and writing about Canadian airmail routes and rates to all parts of the world for last 30 years and have a monograph in full colour with rate tables and ilustrations that covers routes and rates from Canada from 1925 to 1946 taken from official Canadian Post Office documents. This is available on CD for$35.00 Canadian plus Postage & handling $5.00 in Canada $7.50 the U.S.A. & $10.00 the rest of the World.

card12
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Airmail Philatelic Literature - A Request for Review

Post by card12 »

Good evening,

AITINK, Hans E., HOVENKAMP, Egbert (2005). Bridging the continents in wartime. Important airmail routes 1939-1945. Enschede: Stichting Luchtpostgeschiedenis Tweed Wereldoorlog. 228 pages and 1 page Errata.
Preface in English, Dutch, German and French, main text in English and an enlarged resume in Dutch, German and French.
The air lines covered, for the period 1939-45, are the following:
KLM, Imperial Airways/BOAC/QEA, Air France, KNILM, TEAL, PanAm and LATI.
It contains a lot o pictures, full colour, of covers, maps and posters, timetables of the studied routes, calendars from 1938 to 1946 and also sources and bibliography.

There are several routes/timetables studied in this book. For example:
Amsterdam-Bandung 1939; England-Australia 1939-40; England-India 1939-40; Horseshoe Route 1940-42; Java-Australia 1938-42; Marseilles-Hong-Kong 1939-40; England-South-Africa 1939-40; Lydda-Bandung 1940-42; Sydney-Auckland 1940-43; PaAm FAM 14, 18, 19 and 22; Italy-South America 1939-42; etc.

Image link inactive. Removed
card12
Postal history; Philatelic Literature

card12

Post by card12 »

GOOD EVENING

PROUD, Edward B. (2008). Intercontinental airmails volume one transatlantic and Pacific. Heathfield: Proud Publications Ltd. 632 pages.

Inside this book there are a lot of timetables, routes, postage rates, pictures, covers, posters, etc, from 1920 to 1945. The air postal services of this study are some of the French, Italian, English, German, Australian and American routes on Atlantic and Pacific oceans. At the moment there are 3 vols on the market and this is the first one.

As a reference it contains several air companies studies about the Aeropostale, Lufthansa and LATI South Atlantic, the PAA Nord and South Atlantic, the TEAL Auckland-Sydney route, etc, and also some notes on British, German and USA censorship marks.

Image link inactive. Removed
card12

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

Hi card12,

Does Proud Volume 1 or Volume 2 have better info in regards to TEAL and their connections? I am guessing Vol 1 is TEAL heading east and Vol 2 is TEAL heading west.

Many thanks in advance,

Ewen

card12

Post by card12 »

ewen s wrote:Hi card12,

Does Proud Volume 1 or Volume 2 have better info in regards to TEAL and their connections? I am guessing Vol 1 is TEAL heading east and Vol 2 is TEAL heading west.

Many thanks in advance,

Ewen
Good evening,

PROUD, Edward B. (2008). Intercontinental airmails volume one transatlantic and Pacific. [...]
Chapter 13 - New Zeland to Australia Service by Tasman Empire Airways Ltd. (TEAL) - Pages 569-598.
TEAL service (tables with airplanes + flight numbers + departure/arrival dates) Auckland-Sydney and Sydney-Auckland from 30.04.1940 to 01.09.1945

The PROUD (2009). Intercontinental Airmails Volume Two Asia and Australasia [...] has no TEAL Sydney-Auckland study.

I hope it helps.
card12

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Thank you, definitely Volume 2 first for me.

card12

Post by card12 »

GOOD EVENING

GRAUE, James W., DUGGAN, John (2000). Deutsche Lufthansa South Atlantic Airmail Service 1934-1939. Ickenham: Zeppelin Study Group. 236 pages. English language.

It contains;

Pictures black and white; flyers; timetables for the route Germany to South America 1934-1939; distances; ckecklists of airplanes; Postal marks; Text and tables, Sources and bibliography.

card12

card12

Post by card12 »

Good evening,

KRIEBEL, William Victor (1996). Correio aéreo A history of the development of air mail service in Brazil. Mineola: American Air Mail Society. 205 pages in english.

Contents:
Aéropostale, Correio Aéreo Nacional, Lufthansa, Zeppelin, Empresa de Transportes Aéreos Limitada (ETA), LATI, Navegação Aérea Brasileira (N.A.B.), NYRBA, PanAm, Varig, Condor and VASP.
Timetables from Brazil - Lufthansa, catapults 1934-1939; Zeppelins from Brazil to Europe between 1930-1937; a chronology from 1911 to 1941; bibliography, etc.

Last edited by CMJ on 14 Jul 2020 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsecure image link(s) corrected
card12

card12

Post by card12 »

GOOD EVENING

American Air Mail Catalogue A Reference Listing of the Airposts of the World (1974). Washington D.C.: American Air Mail Society. Fifth edition Volume one. 477 pages in english.
Ditto (1977). Cinnaminson: American Air Mail Society. Fifth edition. Volume two. Pages 492-999 in english.
Ditto (1978). Cinnaminson: American Air Mail Society. Fifth edition. Volume three. Pages 1012-1519 in english.
Ditto (1981). Cinnaminson: American Air Mail Society. Fifth edition. Volume four. Pages 1537-2132 in english.
Ditto (1985). Cinnaminson: American Air Mail Society. Fifth edition. Volume five. Pages 2152-2705 in english.

CONTENTS

Volume one – U.S. pioneer flights; U.S. governmental flights; Army emergency flights; Early foreign flights; Ballon posts of the siege of Paris; Zeppelin posts; Interrupted flights (crash covers); Philipine islands flights; Aerial propaganda leaflets; Chronological index.

Volume two – U.S. domestic air mail rate changes; U.S. air mail field and airport mail facility cancellations; U.S. contract air mail covers / Routes 1-72 / Pick –up Experimental routes 1001-1002; [Chronological index].

Volume three – U.S. contract air mail covers Routes 73-299 / Air taxis routes / Autogiro service / maps for routes 1001-1002; Airport dedication covers; Lindberghiana; Cumulative index – Vols. I-II-III.

Volume four – Trans-oceanic record flights; Catapult flights; Newfoundland; Canada; Foreign contract air mail routes / W.I.A.E. / N.Y.R.B.A.; Chronological index Vols. I-IV.

Volume five – United States air mail stamps; United Nations air mail stamps; United Nations airmail stationery; Alaska flights; Ryukyu islands flights; Cuba flights; DO-X flights; U.S. glider flights; U.S. autogiro/helicopter flights; The jet age; Supersonic transport; Contract air mail flights – concluding supplement; U.S. souvenir historical flights; Cumulative index.
card12

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”